2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

How many more non-quality starts does McHugh get before they realize he's a reliever?

McHugh was not very good, but he wasn’t terrible. Right now, I’d be more concerned with our inconsistent offense. That stat they showed earlier about batting average with RISP is telling. I’m tired of making these average pitchers look like Cy Young. 

39 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

McHugh was not very good, but he wasn’t terrible. Right now, I’d be more concerned with our inconsistent offense. That stat they showed earlier about batting average with RISP is telling. I’m tired of making these average pitchers look like Cy Young. 

i feel like i say this every couple months and at least for the last couple years - but we are just not that good against lefties.  we should be, and we sometimes can be, but our lineup gets shittier, and more average lefties seem to shut us down than should happen.  its frustrating.

someone can pull up our splits, but i know the last couple years we were not very good w/l vs lefties, even though our offense as a whole was steady.

41 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

His era is nearly 5.00. He's not a starter.

Though I'm also concerned about the offense. They just said the Astros haven't won a game this season where they didn't hit a HR. Way to dependent on HR's to score runs. Which is what happens when you can't run the bases, move runners, and ground into a lot of double plays.

Though I'm also concerned about the offense. They just said the Astros haven't won a game this season where they didn't hit a HR. Way to dependent on HR's to score runs. Which is what happens when you can't run the bases, move runners, and ground into a lot of double plays.

Ummm. This is every team in baseball. But I will agree it’s a bit much and wish we’d make more of an effort to maybe not be like every other team in baseball. I suspected we were in trouble after starting the game with the first 2 reaching and neither moving another 90 feet before the inning was over.

That’s said, this loss is on Hinch. Yeah yeah hindsight 20/20 but he deserves to be called out for starting the bottom 5 in the order he did tonight. 3 or 4 maybe, but all 5 of gurriel, Diaz, white, Stassi and jake is deplorable.

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Ummm. This is every team in baseball. But I will agree it’s a bit much and wish we’d make more of an effort to maybe not be like every other team in baseball. I suspected we were in trouble after starting the game with the first 2 reaching and neither moving another 90 feet before the inning was over.

That’s said, this loss is on Hinch. Yeah yeah hindsight 20/20 but he deserves to be called out for starting the bottom 5 in the order he did tonight. 3 or 4 maybe, but all 5 of gurriel, Diaz, white, Stassi and jake is deplorable.

once again, this is what he does vs lefties. 

Sucks to outscore them 13-7 and lose 2 out of 3.  I feel like we're due another hot streak.  I think we're better than what we've shown so far this year.

4 game series, so let’s salvage the split today, treat the angels pitchers like piñatas over the weekend, and then fuck up the Royals and Rangers at home.

Boom. We’re going streaking!

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It does feel like this, so I checked the team offensive numbers compared to the last 2 years...

2017: .282/.346/.478; 17.3% K-rate; .309 BABIP

2018: .255/.329/425; 19.5% K-rate; .289 BABIP

2019: .269/.345/.466; 19.8% K-rate; .302 BABIP

The good news is that the numbers so far look more like 2017. The increase in K% probably accounts for most of the drop in AVG, though 19.8% this year is still tied for 3rd in MLB (2017 Astros led MLB by 5 percentage points). 2018 numbers suffered largely due to Correa's injury/bad season and Springer and Altuve missing time as well.

The inconsistency scoring runs so far in 2019 is probably mostly due to sequencing - hits not coming at opportune times mores o than hits simply not coming. 

• Like 1

I love when facebook memories come up and then I go research the game that I was at to see what happened and who was on the team.  

Today's memory was May 2, 2013 v the Tigers.  Stros lost 7-3 in 14 innings 4 hr 50 min game that I stayed the whole time for.  Game ended at midnight.  Astros current 1B coach pinch ran in the game for the Tigers and then managed to go 2-3 and drove in the winning run off Keuchel in the 14th.  Keuchel was then pulled and Astros legend Jose Cisneros came in and gave up some more runs.  Altuve went 0-5.   Carlos Pena and Castro both homered.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Were you saying this after his 1st 4 starts of the year when he was 3-1 with an ERA of 1.95? His 9 run game in 3.1 ip against the Rangers has jacked his ERA number way up.

Yes, I was saying it in spring training, he's not a starter. He's an excellent reliever. He is too reliant on his slider to get through 5-6 innings.

Edited by HtownHorn