2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

sometimes I figure Altuve tells the other team what the Astros are doing and then they still break it off in their ass anyhow...

It doesn't matter if you know...  you're still going to fucking lose.

Tampa Trip Report :

Made the trip to Tampa for the first two games of the season. Overall, I highly recommend a Tampa Road trip.

Flew into the Tampa airport, quick / easy and centrally located. Uber’d to my hotel in Clearwater (next time I would stay closer to St. Petersburg. Hotel was 20 min uber ride to the stadium area)

mycox gave the recommendation for ‘la bodega’ and that place was great. Walk up window, SANDWICHES, plates, juices  and beer. Ate there thursday and Friday. 10 mins walk from the stadium. That whole area was very enjoyable. There was a brewery across the street and several bars.

i liked the stadium, small and seating is close to the field, great sight lines. Tickets were very cheap and the Rays fans were great. After the game you walk back to bar area for a beer or easy uber pick up. 

Non baseball time filler. The Dali museum in St. Petersburg was beyond expectations. I was blown away. Went through the guided tour twice and walked around on my own. My next trip back, I’ll plan better and get in a round of golf.

zero bad meals, zero bad experiences. I’ll try my best to go back for a Tampa series.

My next Astros road trip is Friday v the Rangers. Might hit the Yankees series later this season and Seattle is high on my to do list.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Viper said:

James Paxton is bringing up that old sign stealing trope again

https://nypost.com/2019/04/14/james-paxton-astros-stole-signs-knew-what-was-coming/

however the facts show it's bullshit

http://www.astroscounty.com/2019/04/james-paxton-is-sliver-of-crap.html

so the ny post article quotes paxton as saying:

“I did find out I was tipping my pitches when there were guys at second base, so they knew what was coming,” the left-hander said Sunday before the Yankees faced the White Sox at the Stadium. “They were fouling off some pretty good pitches, taking some pretty good pitches. There were stealing some signs. So that’s didn’t help.”

but then he mentions the conversation with beltran, talking about his knuckle showing on certain pitches, so he said the astros hitters knew if the pitch was coming hard or soft.  that's tipping your pitches, that's not us stealing signs - regardless of who sees your knuckle.  and you can be damn sure if we see it, then the red sox and everyone else you face is gonna see it.

just take the fucking loss, you pitch-tipping pussy.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Nice read. I like this line:

“What we’ve found is that hitters don’t differentiate if the release points are within three or four inches,” Houston pitching coach Brent Strom said. “But what really matters is what the hitters tell you. And right now the hitters are having a hard time with it.”

Hinch challenged his team–with the help of Statcast. On Day 1 of spring training, when wondering how he could motivate a 103-win team to play better, Hinch challenged his players to be more aggressive on the bases. He pointed out that last year the Astros averaged 10 feet with their leads off first base, almost a foot and a half shorter than the major league average. That’s complacency. This year they have attempted a stolen base in 6.8% of their opportunities, up from 4.3% last year. Though Houston has a lousy success rate (8 of 15), the mindset of complacency is gone.

Hmm, not sure about that one.  For years now, we seem to be worse at stealing than we you would think based on our speed.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I found the two seamer / sinker ball comment damn interesting. Had no idea it was getting pounded that hard 

Two seamers/sinkers move planes, launch angles counteract that, especially sinkers. 4 seamers stay straight,  or rise, depending on how hard they spin,  guess what we're good at? 

Forrest Whitley did not have a good start today for Round Rock. He lasted 1.1 innings and gave up 5 earned runs. He had 123 first inning, and then fell apart. On the plus side Garrett Stubbs had 2 hits including a HR. He has a .333 average.

Paxton throws a knuckle curve.

It’s blatantly obvious what is coming based on his grip and his giant fingers are plainly visible to anyone on second

If you see the knuckle you stare back at the bag and turn your head as you are leading off. Batter knows what is coming.

No staring at bag, no knuckle.

Al Leiter was talking about it. I didn’t have volume though.

This last page is pretty telling about the current state of the Yankees and Astros:

“I did find out I was tipping my pitches when there were guys at second base, so they knew what was coming,” the left-hander said Sunday before the Yankees faced the White Sox at the Stadium. “They were fouling off some pretty good pitches, taking some pretty good pitches. There were stealing some signs. So that’s didn’t help.”[/Quote]

vs.

What’s so amazing about the pitch is hitters know it’s coming and they still can’t hit it. McHugh throws his slider with a release point three to seven inches lower than his other pitches. When he drops down, it’s always a slider.

“What we’ve found is that hitters don’t differentiate if the release points are within three or four inches,” Houston pitching coach Brent Strom said. “But what really matters is what the hitters tell you. And right now the hitters are having a hard time with it.”

I love this team right now

14 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

We're .5 back, no?

Yeah. Standings list us in 1st, having a higher winning % yet .5 back. I see why it's happening as we're 2 back in wins and 1 up in loses in 3 fewer games but it's still weird

Edited by TonyTexas

51 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Happy 5th debut anniversary for George Springer.  4/16/14.  I was there.  

/csb alert/ I went to an event on April 10 of that year where Bo Porter spoke.  I had the opportunity to meet him afterward, and the only question I had for him was "when are we going to see Springer?"  

He smiled and said "very soon, but you didn't hear that from me."  He made his debut six days later.  /csb/

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Yeah. Standings list us in 1st, having a higher winning % yet .5 back. I see why it's happening as we're 2 back in wins and 1 up in loses in 3 fewer games but it's still weird

ESPN app has us in 2nd. We should be first though. Losses are the most important indicator.  We control our own destiny while Seattle needs us to lose.