2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I feel like Correa’s back pain is chronic and he’s soon going to have to decide if he can suck it up and play through the pain or try another major surgery that will either heal him or end his career, depending how it goes. But one thing that is not sustainable, is playing a few weeks then going on the DL for a couple months multiple times during the season. No contending team will pay for a guy like Correa because there’s a 50-50 chance he’ll be injured when they need him most (playoffs). Few teams are dumb enough to think he’s a worthwhile investment* given the risks.  

*Assuming they are going to pay him based off his statistics which are star level when healthy

Edited by perfectchaos007

7 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Correa isn’t playing another game this year. 

Yeah, I just assume at this point that he won't be playing. 

Correa saw a doctor in Los Angeles on Thursday and nothing serious was found with his back, manager AJ Hinch said before Thursday night's series opener against the Los Angeles Angels.

There is nothing seriously wrong with his back, but he's unable to play. I don't expect this to change. Maybe he can play a little in the postseason, but I wouldn't count on it. 

Anything the club gets from Correa going forward is bonus; I don't expect much. He is who he is - big picture, a guy who misses this much time with such a variety of injuries (especially back issues) when he is in his early 20s isn't likely to be healthier as he ages. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Trade Correa, move Bregman to SS, and go after homeboy Rendon. 

Rendon will command a lot of cash.  

No telling what Crane/Luhnow do, but if they're going to pony up a ton of cash, I'd rather they sign Cole over Rendon, our offense is already terrific.

I'm just glad we didn't extend Correa back in '16 or '17 like we did Bregman earlier this year. Big/long-term contracts for guys who rarely play (or are old) are the ones that kill teams. 

By the end of the weekend, he will have participated in 294 out of 486 regular-season games over the last 3 years - 60%. This is at age 22, 23 and 24. He played in the playoffs last year and wasn't terrible, so that's good - maybe he can do that again. 

At this point I can't imagine any team willing to guarantee him many years/dollars. Maybe he'll miss less time over the next couple of year before he is a free agent, but I doubt it - he seems awfully brittle and back problems - especially in your early-20s - don't typically just go away. 

He's a top-10 pure talent in MLB, but he won't play enough for it to matter that much. 

He missed 36 games last year between late June and early August and then played in 37 of our last 46 games after coming back, but only put up a .517 OPS.  He played in all 8 playoff games with a .751 OPS, which is better than I remembered, but he only had 1 double and 1 HR in those games.  

He's a top 10 talent in the game when healthy and when he tried to play through it at the end of last regular season he was really bad.  The evidence shows that he can't play through it and be any good, so I don't get all the hate thrown his way.

He's not a free agent until 2022 so the next two seasons will tell the tale.  Even playing 50% of games, he'll be a huge bargain for his arb years, especially if injuries continue to hold down his counting stats.

Edited by WBT

13 minutes ago, WBT said:

The evidence shows that he can't play through it and be any good, so I don't get all the hate thrown his way.

Because, as you said, he's not good when he's hurt, and he's hurt a lot. I mean, he's missed 40% of the games the last 3 years. The odds of him participating in future games is essentially a coin flip. He's undependable. The team's chances of success are depressed when he misses time, and he always misses time. That is frustrating and the reason there is hate thrown his way. 

Maybe he's not a big pussy, but when you miss significant chunks of the season because of massages and "back tightness" (but no actual injury), you start to lose the benefit of the doubt. It's a pattern. 

this is not a problem.

he rests til the alds, then he plays.

if he's healthy, he'll hit.  if he hits, he'll keep playing until he cannot.

if he tweaks something, you sit him, play diaz, and leave him off the alcs roster and use his spot for somebody else.

the only thing that worries me is him playing hurt and sucking - like 2018.  i don't see that happening again.

i have absolutely no issue waiting until next friday to see how he looks.  he's our fucking 7 hole hitter.

#uptownproblems

• Like 2

i don't know if it's been discussed, but has anyone seen the tie-breaker scenario for the al wildcard if all 3 teams are tied?

i just saw it on mlbn and i didn't fully understand it, but somehow, based on records against the other teams, the 3 teams are "seeded" a, b, and c.

(i think):

on tuesday, teams a and b play.  the winner gets the 1st spot. 

then on wednesday, the loser of that game plays team c.  the winner gets the 2nd spot.

then on thursday, the two teams play each other in the wildcard game, and the winner goes to houston (hopefully) to face verlander the next day on full rest.

and because the teams are so spread out - oakland, tampa, cleveland, and then houston (hopefully), the travel from tues thru friday is insanity.

therefore, i am rooting for this to happen, and you should too.

You have it right HG.

https://www.mlb.com/news/playoff-tiebreaker-rules/c-59527184

First the Designations for A,B & C are determined.

Determining A, B, C Designations in Three-Team Tiebreakers

1. All Three Clubs Have Identical Records Against One Another

• Club with highest winning percentage among three tied clubs in intradivision games chooses its designation, followed by the team with the next highest winning percentage in intradivision games. If any two of the clubs have identical winning percentages, then then the two-Club tiebreak rules will break that tie. If all three Clubs have identical winning percentages, then;

• Club with the highest winning percentage in the last half of intraleague games chooses its designation, followed by the team with the next highest winning percentage in intraleague games. If any two of the clubs have identical winning percentages, then then the two-Club tiebreak rules will break that tie. If all three Clubs have identical winning percentages, then;

• Club with the highest winning percentage in the last half plus one intraleague game, provided that such additional game was not between any of the tied Clubs, chooses its designation, followed by the team with the next highest winning percentage in the last half plus one intraleague game. Continue to go back one intraleague game at a time until the tie has been broken.

The the games:

Three-Club Tie for Two Wild Card Spots:
After Clubs have been assigned their A, B and C designations, Club A would host Club B. The winner of the game would be declared one Wild Card winner. Club C would then host the loser of the game between Club A and Club B to determine the second Wild Card Club.

Edited by kevwun

That wildcard scenario would have been great, but best bet would be for the winner on the first day to win the Thursday game. They would likely have burned their top two pitchers so you get P3 and P4 facing fully rested Verlander and Cole. 

The other way then the other team is on P4 for the first game of the ALDS and turns over the rotation by game 2. At least that’s how I think it would work out. 

I have been to Angels Stadium the most annoying thing was they don't sell Nolan Ryan jerseys just current players which is crap. They did have some Nolan Ryan baseball cards for sale but I already have all those.

I did the pregame at Karl Strauss Brewing and the post game at Noble Ale Works both of which were legit provided you like beer.

59 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Anyone been to Angels Stadium? Suggestions around or near the stadium? Sister is at Disneyland I’m headed toward Anaheim now in an Uber. Where should I be going? Anything of note at the stadium? Can I yell at Pujols?

yeah, there are restaurants/bars in a couple different directions that are easy walks to the stadium.  not mmp easy, but fairly close (there's still an astrodome style parking lot in all directions).

not sure where you're sitting, but you'll be able to move down fairly easily.  the astros friends and family is behind 1st base (astros) dugout, so i would make my way there at some point, you'll be among friends.