2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

22 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Also, I don't know if I like Cole hitting a career high pitch count in a historic effort in the divisional series.  Gonna need him to still have enough to do that shit in the next two series. 

This pitch count bullshit has gotten out of control. 

Guys like Verlander and Cole aren’t pussies  Cole could have absolutely finished the game today IMO.

i found this from 2013 :

“Nolan Ryan king of pitch counts. In 1989, at age 42, Nolan Ryan averaged 127 pitches a game with a high of 164, which came five days after he threw 150. He's now the CEO of a team that has a pitcher who threw 130 pitches, creating a huge uproar.”

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Cole was the player of the game, obviously, but Maldonado's got to be the runner-up.  Two for three with a RBI, threw out a baserunner, and blocked about a dozen WP.

He should have had 2 RBI except ball boy stool kept him off the board.

3 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

“Nolan Ryan king of pitch counts. In 1989, at age 42, Nolan Ryan averaged 127 pitches a game with a high of 164, which came five days after he threw 150. He's now the CEO of a team that has a pitcher who threw 130 pitches, creating a huge uproar.

He also threw 235 pitches in a game back in 1974

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

It's the moronic best of 5 series that worries me.  Rays are a damn good team that won 96, recent playoff Grienke could show up, Urquidy or Miley could stumble, and then even with JV anything can happen in a 1-game playoff.

Not going to take anything for granted.

Don’t fret. Of course all kinds of bad stuff could happen. 

But don’t forget that we hammered CFM the last time we faced him. 

Out team is pretty good too. 

24 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

It's the moronic best of 5 series that worries me.  Rays are a damn good team that won 96, recent playoff Grienke could show up, Urquidy or Miley could stumble, and then even with JV anything can happen in a 1-game playoff.

Not going to take anything for granted.

Bruh. Don't play scared...the Astros don't.

25 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

This pitch count bullshit has gotten out of control. 

Guys like Verlander and Cole aren’t pussies  Cole could have absolutely finished the game today IMO.

i found this from 2013 :

“Nolan Ryan king of pitch counts. In 1989, at age 42, Nolan Ryan averaged 127 pitches a game with a high of 164, which came five days after he threw 150. He's now the CEO of a team that has a pitcher who threw 130 pitches, creating a huge uproar.”

No doubt. Pitchers used to have higher pitch counts all the time.  Nolan Ryan was a freak of nature and one of the few historic pitchers that could still dominate in today's game.  He also pitched for longer than most pitchers of any generation while also throwing harder than most of them. Now, nearly everyone throws as hard as he did, but none of them last nearly as long. 

But current pitchers aren't accustomed to it. Cole's never pitched 2 150 pitch games in a row. It doesn't matter that Nolan Ryan did. He was clearly feeling it in his last inning. 

Waaaay more stress than I was prepared for in the 9th, but a playoff win is a playoff win. 

I predict a lot of boys born in Houston in November will be named Cole or Gerrit (but let’s be honest, WTF kind of name is Gerrit). Maybe even some Cole/Justin twins. What a fucking badass.

9 more, fellas. 

10 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Don’t fret. Of course all kinds of bad stuff could happen. 

But don’t forget that we hammered CFM the last time we faced him. 

Out team is pretty good too. 

Hopefully we hammer him again. Then afterwards, he swaps jerseys with Miley and pitches game 4 of the ALCS in NY for us. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

No doubt. Pitchers used to have higher pitch counts all the time.  Nolan Ryan was a freak of nature and one of the few historic pitchers that could still dominate in today's game.  He also pitched for longer than most pitchers of any generation while also throwing harder than most of them. Now, nearly everyone throws as hard as he did, but none of them last nearly as long. 

But current pitchers aren't accustomed to it. Cole's never pitched 2 150 pitch games in a row. It doesn't matter that Nolan Ryan did. He was clearly feeling it in his last inning. 

What I was trying to get at - perhaps crudely - is that I believe Verlander and Cole are cut from the same cloth as Nolan Ryan. 

They could go 150 pitches when needed, but modern convention says your arm is going to fall off if you go over 100. 

I’d much rather have a dominant Verlander or  Cole going the whole 9 innings, disregarding pitch counts.