2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I am glad that Tucker is taking reps at 1B, but I think I read he's only played a handful of games there in AAA to this point. I imagine we'd be hesitant to start running him out there at the big league level until next season (after an offseason + spring training). 

This.

I just hope the next trip up for Tucker sticks. It was too big for him before. Hopefully he’s matured a bit. His swing has been discussed adnauseum as too slow, ironically being compared to the “Ted” swing, and he’s looked totally overwhelmed when he’s been up. It’ll be good to get him up again to determine if he can do this or not so we can get some finality on the issue.

5 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

I just hope the next trip up for Tucker sticks. It was too big for him before. Hopefully he’s matured a bit. His swing has been discussed adnauseum as too slow, ironically being compared to the “Ted” swing, and he’s looked totally overwhelmed when he’s been up. It’ll be good to get him up again to determine if he can do this or not so we can get some finality on the issue.

I disagree with pretty much everything you posted.  He was 21.  And hit the ball hard.  It was a small sample size and he had bad luck.  He would improve hitting over Reddick immediately.  And he’s a better base runner.  Not sure on defense.  But have heard he can play.  

Right now, Reddick has zero business playing for us.  Fuck, we’d be much better off with him on the IL and Marisnick playing most days and Straw as the backup.  

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I disagree with pretty much everything you posted.  He was 21.  And hit the ball hard.  It was a small sample size and he had bad luck.  He would improve hitting over Reddick immediately.  And he’s a better base runner.  Not sure on defense.  But have heard he can play.  

Right now, Reddick has zero business playing for us.  Fuck, we’d be much better off with him on the IL and Marisnick playing most days and Straw as the backup.  

Ok. Well, not really seeing a lot of difference between what I said and what you said. Seems like we were saying pretty much the same thing, you just detailed it more.

36 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I am glad that Tucker is taking reps at 1B, but I think I read he's only played a handful of games there in AAA to this point. I imagine we'd be hesitant to start running him out there at the big league level until next season (after an offseason + spring training). 

He's played 65 innings there this year, and none before this year. 

That’s right.
He’s started at first in 7 games in the past month.
Really can’t imagine they are going to give him a start at first in the majors this season.

I’m still sticking with Tanielu, maybe Jones, being the call up.

Jones is the primary first baseman having a decent year in Round Rock
Tanielu has started there the 2nd most since Reed was DFA’ed but primarily starts at third and also has a bunch of starts at 2nd. He’d allow Hinch more options for plugging and playing:
3B: Yuli, Tanielu, Bregs
SS: Bregs, Mayfield
2B: Bregs, Mayfield, Tanielu
1B: Yuli, Tanielu

This is not exactly a bad thing.

But I’m going Sunday and not exactly looking forward to the rock/paper/scissors winner between Urquidy/Valdez/Sneed that will be taking the mound.
(I guess Sneed may not be eligible to be recalled...can’t remember how long he has to stay down, so Valdez or Urquidy it is)

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

This is not exactly a bad thing.

But I’m going Sunday and not exactly looking forward to the rock/paper/scissors winner between Urquidy/Valdez/Sneed that will be taking the mound.
(I guess Sneed may not be eligible to be recalled...can’t remember how long he has to stay down, so Valdez or Urquidy it is)

Probably will be Peacock.  

Probably will be Peacock.  

Word on the street or speculation?
Even if we’re without Sanchez for upwards of a month, would seem odd to put Peacock in a role opposite of where he’ll contribute to this team in October

Would seem to me the MO of the FO would push for the AAA crew to bridge that 5th starter gap for the remaining 6-7 games that slot on the rotation is needed.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

His first trip up he was quickly lost at the plate and swinging at every bad pitch. That’s not bad luck. I don’t remember his visit as being one as a hard hitter.

The most disappointing part was he was on fire that spring, the freaking second coming. He quickly nutted up though. I agree he was young but I was hoping he’d be better prepared after watching his brother’s failures. 

Unless you’re Nostradamus, we have no idea that he’ll hit better than reddick, immediately. LuLz He’s about the same base runner as reddick. No where near the glove of Jake. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

His first trip up he was quickly lost at the plate and swinging at every bad pitch. That’s not bad luck. I don’t remember his visit as being one as a hard hitter.

The most disappointing part was he was on fire that spring, the freaking second coming. He quickly nutted up though. I agree he was young but I was hoping he’d be better prepared after watching his brother’s failures. 

Unless you’re Nostradamus, we have no idea that he’ll better than reddick, immediately. LuLz He’s about the same base runner as reddick. No where near the glove of Jake. 

His expected batting average was way higher than what he hit. So being lost is a big reach. 

.172 on 72 at bats. His last group of games he was swinging at stuff waaaaaay outside. 

I hope he develops into an every day player. His second trip up will be huge and he needs many more at bats. Good or bad. He’s had a damn great tear in AAA. I hope he plays tomorrow, as I’ll be at the game 

Going back to before the season, I loved the Brantley signing but that told me tucker wasn’t ready this year in the eyes of the Astros. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

.172 on 72 at bats. His last group of games he was swinging at stuff waaaaaay outside. 

I hope he develops into an every day player. His second trip up will be huge and he needs many more at bats. Good or bad.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/expected_statistics?type=batter&year=2018&position=&team=HOU&min=50

Unless you’re Nostradamus, we have no idea that he’ll hit better than reddick, immediately. LuLz He’s about the same base runner as reddick. No where near the glove of Jake. 

He can't really hit any worse than Reddick at this point

4 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:
5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Read more  

He can't really hit any worse than Reddick at this point

You and I couldn’t hit worse than that meathead at this point.

Yeah, Tucker's 72 PAs last year don't really tell us anything. Unfortunately, he's played 2 years now in the PCL, where many parks play like Coors Field, so some of those gaudy numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, particularly since they adopted the juiced MLB ball this year.

I expect he'll be up when rosters expand and will see some starts in the OF. Unless he is just scorching in those limited September PAs, I don't expect him to be much of a factor this year. But I think he should get Reddick's roster spot in 2020. Of course we don't know how he'll perform, but I'd certainly bet on Tucker being a better MLB hitter than Reddick from this point forward. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Luhnow on Salisbury show this morning:

-Cole starting tomorrow expected to be vintage Cole.  His bullpen Monday he threw hard to make sure everything was good and everything checked out.  Him and Verlander should be competing with each other for the Cy Young the rest of the way

-Glad Strom is back and healthy

-Sanchez should miss 1 or 2 starts.  Getting image today to make sure it isn't worse.  Doesn't think it is though.  Will figure out replacement for Sunday in the next day or two

-Correa update, not sure because back injuries are lingering sometimes.  Plan is to get him to rehab first week of Sept and then get him back for about 3 weeks of regular season to get ready for playoffs.  

-McCullers rehab going good.  Could probably pitch at the end of the year if they desperately needed him, but they aren't gonna do that.  

-2019 plans for Tucker - will finish out minor league season and will be up in September.  May bring a couple guys to Toronto Sept 1st or Milwaukee, but anyone here in Sept has a shot to make postseason roster. He will put himself in consideration for that.  

-Reddick let him work through struggles.  He is really going through a slump. Need good version and he is working hard etc.  Will be able to get more days off in Sept to work on stuff, but also needs to have playing time.  Expects him to contribute and be back to good Reddick

-Will be bringing Straw and Sneed today.  Sunday could be Sneed or Valdez/Urquidy if Sneed is used by then.  

- Alvarez  passed Yulis walk total for yr in half the ABs.  Talked Pujols/Bonds because of the amount of walks he gets, but didn't compare him to them.  Keep walking him he is gonna keep scoring.  Don't walk him he will keep hitting it hard.

-Netting absolutely right thing to do.  Seems more transparent than old netting.  Last night probably saved an out last night for 1st baseman trying to catch and it hit the net.  

• Like 8