RIP Paden Kelley

Red Five

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Testicular cancer is generally one of the more treatable neoplasms and has a low mortality even when it has metastasized to distant regions. RIP

What could cause mortality for a 29 year old in this case? Genuinely curious. 

From that hf thread:

Probably what McHammer is remembering, Paden went in on the last drive of the A&M game. His block cleared the McCoy scramble that got enough yardage for the game winning field goal and eternal scoreboard over A&M. He also went down field to block and hit an A&M player right at the whistle. Everybody cringed. He just shrugged and said "coach said play to the whistle. Whistle hadn't blown yet."

• Like 2

Every cancer is unique to the individual.  FIL recently diagnosed with a stage 3 (and I forget the other aspects of it) esophageal cancer.  When you look at the categorical chart for it, by the time you feel the symptoms, even the most subtle, you're already stage 3--looking at radiation, chemo and surgery.  Only way to catch it sooner is to almost have the suspicion and request routine x-rays, throat scopes, etc.  Which ain't gonna happen....

The old man is past his initial rounds of chemo and radiation, now assessing surgery options.  He's still healthier and more in shape than most humans, but can you imagine the therapy required after operating on an involuntary muscle?  I think he'll eventually kick it, but it'll change him forever. 

First line therapy is usually BEP (bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin) and is usually not cardiotoxic which seems to be the most likely cause of death if he died a few days after therapy. Maybe he developed sepsis following the low white cell count. 

Im in my feelings, thinking about how fragile life is. Paden is the 3rd teammate/ classmate of mine at UT to pass away... Dang bro, that’s crazy... 🤯 This is why we have to make the most of the moments we get. Much love & prayers to the Kelley family 🙏🏿

^Marquise Goodwin's twitter...anyone know who the others are? I forgot about Barnett...assuming that's the 2nd teammate - can't think of the 3rd. Very sad RIP