Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

Did anyone else notice Sansa's speech down in the crypt about "the most heroic thing we can do now" is get out of the way? Wonder if that's foreshadowing that she'll cede The North to Dany (or someone) because she realizes she shouldn't be a military leader.

Dany is probably no better at actual combat, despite her sticking a couple of wights last night. She just has her own F-16s. Sansa might actually be a better strategist, as she has been through as much, without the use of magical creatures to help her. Does not mean she would be good in a one on one fight.

I understand what you’re saying and you’re not wrong but attacking King’s Landing seems dumb when you can easily destroy Cersei politically and economically while making all the seven kingdoms bend the knee in the meantime.  
Cersei’s people will turn on her and the Golden Company can be bought or destroyed if necessary.  The throne will shortly follow. 

If you have a problem with Cersei’s moderating go and build your own kingdom with her blessing.

7 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

In real life you can’t fight that fiercely for that long.  

I boxed in high school.  Back then I probably ran 5 miles five times a week at a 7:30 minute pace and it didn’t hardly phase me.  A few 2-3 minute rounds of just boxing will wear your ass out.  I can’t imagine swinging a heavy ass sword against relentless attackers for more than a few minutes.  

So what? I bang @South Austin‘s mom 5 times a day at a 7:30 pace but you don’t see me on here bragging about it. 

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I understand what you’re saying and you’re not wrong but attacking King’s Landing seems dumb when you can easily destroy Cersei politically and economically while making all the seven kingdoms bend the knee in the meantime.  

Cersei’s people will turn on her and the Golden Company can be bought or destroyed if necessary.  The throne will shortly follow. 

I can see it now “Game of Thrones Season 9: Patiently Waiting” in which each episode features people slowly weakening and starving until they decide to blame Cersei and then Varys leads a horde of starving Fleabottom children into the Red Keep to lay siege to their shitty queen. Sounds riveting. 

There are 3 episodes left, dude. Get over the fucking fantasy military strategy bullshit. We get it, you’d hide and wait in the Riverlands and Winterfell with your dragons until things “felt right”. They actually have a show to finish so ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

No elephants in the show.  Very disappointing.

They don't handle long sea voyages well.

7 hours ago, Nivek said:

If you have a problem with Cersei’s moderating go and build your own kingdom with her blessing.

Surly Landing with The Shaggy Throne?

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I can see it now “Game of Thrones Season 9: Patiently Waiting” in which each episode features people slowly weakening and starving until they decide to blame Cersei and then Varys leads a horde of starving Fleabottom children into the Red Keep to lay siege to their shitty queen. Sounds riveting. 

There are 3 episodes left, dude. Get over the fucking fantasy military strategy bullshit. We get it, you’d hide and wait in the Riverlands and Winterfell with your dragons until things “felt right”. They actually have a show to finish so ...

I guess my dream of Cersei adopting Fabian tactics is gone then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

*checks thread*

Is there a difference in the Gold Company book to show? They haven’t broke a contract since Blackfyre Rebellion in either TV or books, correct?

I remember whilst slogging through DWD and thinking some of those Gold Company and 2nd Sons would “heel turn” and pledge loyalty to their families liege lords, rightful heirs Jon and/or Dany. Is there a chance Tyrion or Varys convinces them to follow the mother of dragons?

Actually they break their contract with Myr to take up with Dany.  Then they change their minds and decide to back fAegon, IIRC.

In the books Strickland isn't a young Jaime type warrior.  He's an out-of-shape accountant type dude with bad ankles/knees/something like that.  So far that's the only difference between show/books. 

Them doing an about-face in the show is definitely a possibility.  Having Cersei make a big deal out of the elephants is suspicious, too.  Wouldn't be hard for Stickland and Co. to have landed the elephants and some more troops elsewhere ready to stab Cersei in the back.  The budget had room for Ghost so I don't see why it wouldn't have room for some CGI elephants as well. 

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Like 1

It seems pretty obvious that, in the books, the Golden Company broke contract to support fAegon because he's secretly a Blackfyre, (possibly related to Varys and Illyrio). 

The show? Well it doesn't have any of that background and just threw the GC in there at the last minute so I'm not sure we can expect any kind of surprise from them stemming from book knowledge of them never breaking contracts. Maybe they are treated like any other mercenary company and they abandon Cersei when it looks like she'll lose.

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hear ya but not a big fan of this explanation. It sets Bran up as an existential threat to the NK when a more better story is that Bran somehow (perhaps unknown to him) represented a physical threat. As in Bran somehow warging into all of the dead army at once. But the story/tv show doesn't go in that direction so we have to accept their reasoning.

I don't think threat is the right way of viewing Bran. The NK can control (warg) the dead.  Bran can control (warg) the living...but to a lesser degree.  He can also see futures, etc.  The NK more wants to have Bran's power and then combine it with his own as opposed to seeing Bran as a threat.  

BY NOW WE’RE all familiar with the battle tactics in Game of Thrones: Confront your enemy head on—usually in some nicely arrayed lines—and hack at them until no one’s left alive or someone has won. It’s a tried-and-true method, with little in the way of actual operational depth. And as Sunday night’s Battle of Winterfell showed, it's particularly ineffective against an endless army of the undead. Spoilers ahead, obviously.

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-thrones-winterfell-battle-tactical-analysis/

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 8:27 AM, Mojo Hand said:

According to the "behind the episode" part, the plan was to hold the dragons back to draw out the NK, and Dany fucked up the plan because she couldn't bear watching the deaths of her Dothraki.   But I don't see how that would ever have been a good plan.  Why not just wait for the dead to attack and then have at least one dragon strafing with fire from side to side in front of the defenses?   And if the NK's dragon or his generals with ice spears show up, peel off the dragons and then let the Dothraki loose? 

I would have also liked some involvement of the white walker generals and some small breakthrough by the humans.    The way I would have written it, Pod or someone like that would have noticed a weakness in the wight attack and broken through to the white walker generals, which then forced the NK and a handful of generals to hastily run off to get Bran while Jaime, Brienne, and Pod fought hand to hand with some white walker generals who were left behind to stop them.  That would have added some great heroics while explaining why the NK didn't just hang back until the wights killed every last soul. 

I don't think any plan would have been "good" against the NK. Typical defense plans, like holing up in the castle, are worthless against an enemy that doesn't care about losses and will mound themselves up to get in. Even with some of the best fighters on the walls, they were overwhelmed. On top of that, they didn't have enough time to prepare the defenses, which limited even more delaying the inevitable as the wights just went right over it. I do agree, though, that the battle was somewhat dumb as they didn't use their artillery well at the beginning (use it to light up the night and see what the hell is out there at least) nor did they use their archers to rain dragonglass on the initial surge. 

Also, after Hardhome, I don't think the White Walkers were dumb enough to be anywhere near the front line until the end of the battles as they knew that the humans have weapons that can kill them. The WW at Hardhome was surprised when he was hit, but the rest were observing what happened.

Anyways, off to the next episode. Is Cersei's storyline supposed to represent the fake Aegon storyline in the book? It seems odd that the Golden Company would be bankrolled by the Iron Bank of Bravos whenever there are supposed to be connections between the Iron Bank and the Faceless Men, who seemingly sought out Arya. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

BY NOW WE’RE all familiar with the battle tactics in Game of Thrones: Confront your enemy head on—usually in some nicely arrayed lines—and hack at them until no one’s left alive or someone has won. It’s a tried-and-true method, with little in the way of actual operational depth. And as Sunday night’s Battle of Winterfell showed, it's particularly ineffective against an endless army of the undead. Spoilers ahead, obviously.

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-thrones-winterfell-battle-tactical-analysis/

This is awesome. And it seems to get more and more detached and technical as it goes. By the end the author sounds like Alex Honnold critiquing movie climbing scenes.

While unconventional, Arya's attack falls into the clear confines of the allies’ overall objective, and she should be commended for taking the individual initiative to carry out the final plan.

i just keep watching the final sequence of the battle over again and again.  roughly from where jon enters the castle.  the music picking up with theon's charge, the ice dragon with blue flame erupting from the wounds in its neck, sansa and tyrion in the crypt, fighting everywhere, and then arya finishes the deal

2zyfjy.jpg

Edited by elfenix

This scene was so lame.  Of course the lamest was the final "battle" between Luke and Kylo.

Hate the movie all you want but don’t besmirch that scene. It is one of the better light saber fights in the entire saga.

How the fuck do you not notice boars when you are flying?

how the fuck do you not outflank them in the air when they can’t turn?

how can they reload and apply all the momentum needed like it’s a fucking machine gun?

how does Cersei have any power whatsoever when she blew up the Pope a who was beloved?

The amount this show gives to Cersei to flip an unwinnable situation is complete bullshit

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

How the fuck do you not notice boars when you are flying?

how the fuck do you not outflank them in the air when they can’t turn?

how can they reload and apply all the momentum needed like it’s a fucking machine gun?

how does Cersei have any power whatsoever when she blew up the Pope a who was beloved?

The amount this show gives to Cersei to flip an unwinnable situation is complete bullshit

There was more than one gun. 

8 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

you are starting to sound like Derka.

Im sure he gives this episode a .5 out of 10 because there was no warning about Rhegar getting shot out of the sky, or  missandei not being another major character who dies.

Pretty sure he's still laughing at how fast the unsullied got to King''s landing.  

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t get the illiterati. One episode too much fighting no classic GoT then complaints of no action... so shaggy/surly. To be fair you can’t like all the parts of it but I thought this was a great episode 

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Yeah I don’t get the illiterati. One episode too much fighting no classic GoT then complaints of no action... so shaggy/surly. To be fair you can’t not like parts of it but I thought this was a great episode 

Yeah they're saying it's too rushed.  IIt's like we only have two episodes left or something

One true mark of bad writers is making protagonists inexplicably dumb just to create tenson and increase the odds against them. These two guys have it in spades. And all the godddamn fan-fiction too.

Edited by naija
  • Like 2

Yeah I don’t get the illiterati. One episode too much fighting no classic GoT then complaints of no action... so shaggy/surly. To be fair you can’t like all the parts of it but I thought this was a great episode 

Yep exactly as I thought. If they do what a person wants, then they act like they wanted something else. Give them that, and they wanted the first idea. No win.

As for the “not seeing the boats” crap it’s easy. First off Dany and Drogon don’t fly a mile up. They stay relatively close to the boats. Euron, being the art pirate he is, hid outside their view. You saw it plainly in the show. Dany didn’t see them because she wasn’t flying high enough. Simple as that.

Yeah they're saying it's too rushed.  IIt's like we only have two episodes left or something

It’s not too rushed though. They had 3 movie sized episodes to kill Cersei.

More than enough time.

One true mark of bad writers is making protagonists inexplicably dumb just to create tenson and increase the odds against them. These two guys have it in spades. And all the godddamn fan-fiction too.

Who are they making dumb? And please don’t say Tyrion who’s been harped about forever.

Dany ain’t looking dumb either. Emotional? Yeah. She lost her child and best friend in a matter of days, not to mention her most loyal servant and half her army. It’s understandable if she’s a little pissed and it gets the better of her.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Yep exactly as I thought. If they do what a person wants, then they act like they wanted something else. Give them that, and they wanted the first idea. No win.

As for the “not seeing the boats” crap it’s easy. First off Dany and Drogon don’t fly a mile up. They stay relatively close to the boats. Euron, being the art pirate he is, hid outside their view. You saw it plainly in the show. Dany didn’t see them because she wasn’t flying high enough. Simple as that.

and she's never encountered said weapons before? none of the military geniuses assembled ever heard of doing some recon? how many times has the plot just conveniently included sneaking up on people/surprise attacks..... bleh.

and she's never encountered said weapons before? none of the military geniuses assembled ever heard of doing some recon? how many times has the plot just conveniently included sneaking up on people/surprise attacks..... bleh.

How about overconfident? They probably believe d Cersei was holed up in kings landing waiting for an attack.

Also no one ever said they had military geniuses.

And how many times in REAL war have there been sneak attacks despite actually smart tacticians knowing they could be coming and still get caught surprised?

4 minutes ago, naija said:

Yeah, cause the element of surprise has never happened in real life.  Ned should've seen Littlefinger for the dirt bag he was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naija said:

I guess you missed the part about "how many times does it happen" and to the same set of people over and over. by the same guy no less.

Well who else is at war here?  You mean Cersei was just gonna let fate happen?  Also, you may have missed the prior episode, but the north is pretty depleted.  Dany was advised to wait, but of course, she doesn't.

• Like 1