Israel

SmokeyBear1861

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Which came via Spain. So what does Al Pastor mean? And the Maronites came a lot later. They did not bring Spanish with them. 

But they brought shwarma, which became al pastor. 

13 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And Al Pastor does not go with Hummus. Kafta, sure. 

Both go better with a side of lebneh, the latter with lebneh and cucumbers in particular. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Do not agree. And you are telling me the Aztecs, Pipils, Lempas did not know hot to grill meat? Come on man. Have you ever been to Central America? 

I would say they go better with Cevap but I am biased. 

I don't know anything about Aztecs grilling meat. I am sure they were great, and would not try to disparage. But I do know a bit I think about vertically and horizontally oriented rotisserie production of various meat products. If only our world could find a way to celebrate the mergers of the best of cultures, food, music, drink, and dance, but our race is dead set on fighting over the parcels of dirt and resources.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Food talk in the cloak room not going away. 

There will be no peace in the middle east until we can sit down and break bread and roast a beast. I mean, I vehemently disagree with their takes on shellfish and pork, but there is lots of common ground that can be found. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I don't know anything about Aztecs grilling meat. I am sure they were great, and would not try to disparage. But I do know a bit I think about vertically and horizontally oriented rotisserie production of various meat products. If only our world could find a way to celebrate the mergers of the best of cultures, food, music, drink, and dance, but our race is dead set on fighting over the parcels of dirt and resources.  

See, I do. I grew up there. And lived for over 15 years in Muslim countries. The Kebab is not an invention, it is a simple way of cooking shit. 

Agree about land and resources. 

@DDD Dad show pics. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There will be no peace in the middle east until we can sit down and break bread and roast a beast. I mean, I vehemently disagree with their takes on shellfish and pork, but there is lots of common ground that can be found. 

Damn, now I want Kafta.  

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

The Kebab is not an invention, it is a simple way of cooking shit. 

This is a fun exchange, but nobody serious debates that al pastor is not the result of maronite/lebanase immigration to mexico, and a merging of the shwarma brought with them with mexican flavor profile. 

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is a fun exchange, but nobody serious debates that al pastor is not the result of maronite/lebanase immigration to mexico, and a merging of the shwarma brought with them with mexican flavor profile. 

Then what ya wanna debate? Bored and don't care who wins the world series. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Israel will never allow there to be a functional and sovereign palestinian state. Vaporize Hamas, shit vaporize all the islamists or swap them out with secular or christian palestinians, doesn't matter. There will never be a palestinian state that is allowed to operate within the area now occupied by Israel. 

There would be if the United States said so.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

The UN refused to condemn the attacks.  The UN condemned Israel's retaliation.    While we want the UN to be a pillar of global politics and humanity, sometimes they elect China, and Iran to lead the human rights cause.   So, let's exercise some caution around them.   

Look, I'm no big fan of the UN, but when we're parroting Western media's talking points here, maybe we dig a little bit deeper.

Everyone screams about the rejected amendment but nobody says a fuckin word about this little incident that happened what, 10 days before that, when the security council was actually trying to do that.

https://www.courthousenews.com/us-vetoes-un-resolution-condemning-hamas-attacks-on-israel-and-all-violence-against-civilians/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i once had shwarma wrapped in a slice of pepperoni pizza at 3am in Amsterdam. Do i blame the israelis or Palestinians for that bit of fucking brilliance? 

Near Central station? I think I might have been there. Could have been Frankfurt, but I was fucked up. 

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Near Central station? I think I might have been there. Could have been Frankfurt, but I was fucked up. 

like i could even remember that. 

though i wanna say near leidseplein because i and my boss nearly got arrested earlier that evening there for protesting a fight when we shoulda just kept quiet. but they had just ejected a black guy from a bar, he was beaten and drunk on his hands and knees when a bouncer took a running kick at his face. the police told me that i didn't know what had happened and that they told me what happened not the other way around as they arrested the unconscious black guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i once had shwarma wrapped in a slice of pepperoni pizza at 3am in Amsterdam. Do i blame the israelis or Palestinians for that bit of fucking brilliance? 

I don't believe you could fit a shwarma in a slice or pepperoni. Maybe, MAYBE a Shawarma, but that's clearly not what you meant. Honestly, I think what you said is imwosible, because what you said does not exists. 

16 hours ago, kevwun said:

I think the only realistic way for this to end is for Israel to wipe out Hamas and then agree to the creation of a Palestinian state otherwise it's just kicking the can down the road.

Remember when we invaded Iraq as part of Bush's vague notion of a "war on terror?" We'd reduce the number of terrorists overall by killing the terrorists there.

Did it work out that way?

CBS News 2006

It is impossible to know with any precision whether the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have created more terrorists than they've killed, U.S. Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Thursday.

In his first extensive remarks about a recent U.S. intelligence report saying the threat of terrorism has risen, Rumsfeld told reporters at a NATO meeting that, in general, the value of intelligence reports can be uneven, and "sometimes it's just flat wrong."

But he added that "the implication that if you stop killing or capturing people who are trying to kill you, then therefore the world would be a better place, is obviously nonsensical."

His statements came a day after the White House refused to release the rest of a secret intelligence assessment that depicts a growing terrorist threat.

In the much-discussed National Intelligence Estimate initially reported last weekend, the government's top analysts concluded that Iraq has become a "cause celebre" for jihadists, who are growing in number and geographic reach. If the trend continues, they said, the risks to the U.S. interests at home and abroad surely will grow.

So, it's clear that using a sledge hammer to destroy your enemies and all the people around them is a sure fire way to get what you want when dealing with terrorist groups.

I'm sure Israelis all over the world will be safer the moment Hamas is destroyed along with thousands of Palestinians who are barely human anyway. They're certainly not like us. They wouldn't nurture a grudge against the people that slaughtered their aunts, brothers, and friends using brutal assault. They'd be tamely grateful that they were spared. They're not brave and capable of the same kind slaughter we regular people are.

But Roma, how would you handle the issue? What's your plan?

Fuck if I know. I'm addressing the fatuous notion that "wiping out" Hamas and anybody nearby or even not nearby will achieve what the quote says it might.

Sure, fight Hamas. Sure, kill all that you can; they're the worst of enemies.

Just don't kid yourself that blowing up GAZA is going to make Israel or Israelis or even Jews any safer. 

It's satisfying to blow shit up when your army is doing it. We Americans have much experience with this. It's the tool of choice for bringing a nation state to it's knees. Hamas is not a nation state. They're not alone in the world. They're not a single nail that the sledge hammer can drive into the ground and be done with it.

I begin to believe the people running Israel actually know this. They maybe sliding down the same vortex we are. They've read 1984. We're at war with the Muslims. We have always been at war with the Muslims. Big Brother protects us from all the fears he created.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

You have to help rebuild or it doesn’t work. TBH, I don’t know if even that will work in this case. 

But in Germany/Japan, the US stayed and helped rebuild for decades. Obviously it’s a wee bit different in this case. 

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

We also leveled cities and industrial areas in both countries.  That level of beatdown was never inflicted on Iraq.

Those are all nation states. Germany and Japan were driven to their knees. They failed at building empires where they actually hold ground. That's not the radical Muslim anti-US/Israel goal. Mujahadeen don't expect to one day rule the United States or Europe.

Don't forget, we were "liberating Iraq" and to be greeted by crowds showering our boys with flowers and candies (Rumsfeld, again). They painted an image of Paris being liberated. Worked out great. There never were WMDs, we killed huge numbers of Iraqi citizens with air attacks and artillery, and new terrorists enlisted and went to Iraq to fight us. Oh, and we also created a vacuum for ISIS to fill.

So, Iraq the nation hasn't attacked and never has attacked us, but we sure showed them. It's a fucking paradise of democratic order. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Look, I'm no big fan of the UN, but when we're parroting Western media's talking points here, maybe we dig a little bit deeper.

Everyone screams about the rejected amendment but nobody says a fuckin word about this little incident that happened what, 10 days before that, when the security council was actually trying to do that.

https://www.courthousenews.com/us-vetoes-un-resolution-condemning-hamas-attacks-on-israel-and-all-violence-against-civilians/

It seems that the UN wanted to play the false equivalence game and condemn all violence ahead of the retaliation.  But Israel and the US wanted the UN to specifically acknowledge the attacks by Hamas.  The UN then went ahead and complained about the Israeli response and denied condemning the violence perpetuated by Hamas.   This does little to change the story.  In the end, they clearly demonstrated a bias. 

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

@Nivek, B'TSELEM is a well resourced group with observers in the WB and Gaza. They are not a Hamas mouthpiece. You might consider spending some time on their website reviewing their documentation of what has been taking place for decades in the OT. https://www.btselem.org/

Thank you, I didn't accuse them of that.  I just pointed out that they made the graphic.  The source of the information came from Hamas's Ministry of Health which reported to the UN that information which B'Tselem then used.  So when I see that Hamas is part of the source of information I tend to get a little bit like Jack T. Colton "who told you that? the nice man who pulled a gun on you."    It could very well be accurate.  I am open to that.  If they attested to it, I would take it at their word as they have a solid reputation from what I know/understand. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's almost as though, and stay with me while i streeeeeetch, that netanyahu almost wanted this to happen....

Wow. Just like the Germans will never forgive the Jews for theHolocaust, you’ll never forgive the Jews for October 7.