Israel

SmokeyBear1861

On a more global note, this movement has real potential to impact the election. College students should be Biden’s bread and butter. In 2020, exit polls showed Biden won 18-29 year olds at a clip of 60-36. And I found one pre-election poll that showed college students preferred Biden over Trump 70-18. 

But this Israel-Palestine issue could erode Biden’s support in this demographic. I doubt it would shift votes to Trump, but it might shift them to some whack job like Kennedy.  

Well the protestors were waving the green & white flag of Hamas, so that was kind of a leading indicator.  There were Palestine flags as well, to be sure.  But the Palestinian Sunni Militant waved by many young people was kind of a giveaway.  Other than getting up in my grill, I was most curious about how you even buy those things.  Like, is there a link on Amazon, or? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

WTF? the right to assemble and protest is protected by the fucking Constitution. FUCK OFF!

The way the protests get out of control is by doing what dipshit Abbott is doing. YOU DO NOT SEND STATE TROOPERS ONTO THE BY GOD UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS to stop a peaceful student protest! FUCK ALL THAT!!!

This is America. If you're...

1. A corporation
  2. Law enforcement
  3. Protecting the interests of Israel

...you have free reign to violate the rights of American citizens. It's literally how this country works. I wish I was exaggerating even a little bit.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

WTF? the right to assemble and protest is protected by the fucking Constitution. FUCK OFF!

The way the protests get out of control is by doing what dipshit Abbott is doing. YOU DO NOT SEND STATE TROOPERS ONTO THE BY GOD UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS to stop a peaceful student protest! FUCK ALL THAT!!!

They also get out of control by letting fucking idiot kids do whatever they think they want to do.  Look at the fucking idiocy going on in the Northeast.  

I'm not saying they're taking the right approach.  But I'm also not saying that having an increased presence up front is wrong either.  You have to walk a fine line.  Just don't fucking violate rights while doing it.  The protesters in at Columbia and Yale have violated other people's rights, and broken the fucking law by threatening and assaulting people.  What happens when they kill a few Jewish students?  You going to sue the police for not being there?  Because that's probably what would happen.  It's fucking idiocy

FUCK OFF!!!   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Trey3216 said:

They also get out of control by letting fucking idiot kids do whatever they think they want to do.  Look at the fucking idiocy going on in the Northeast.  

I'm not saying they're taking the right approach.  But I'm also not saying that having an increased presence up front is wrong either.  You have to walk a fine line.  Just don't fucking violate rights while doing it.  The protesters in at Columbia and Yale have violated other people's rights, and broken the fucking law by threatening and assaulting people.  What happens when they kill a few Jewish students?  You going to sue the police for not being there?  Because that's probably what would happen.  It's fucking idiocy

FUCK OFF!!!   

WHAT THE FUCK EVER.

I am not advocating for any of that. If you want to send an increased police presence then do so. But don't fucking send storm troopers in riot gear when all of the protests have been peaceful. Arresting students for what? Please explain it to me. They have the lawful right to be there and to protest. This is complete bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is America. If you're...

1. A corporation
  2. Law enforcement
  3. Protecting the interests of Israel

...you have free reign to violate the rights of American citizens. It's literally how this country works. I wish I was exaggerating even a little bit.

Culture of Tolerance!!!!  Tolerate everything I agree with or I'll fucking ruin your life!!!  Just another form of fascism.  Have fun with that shit.  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Culture of Tolerance!!!!  Tolerate everything I agree with or I'll fucking ruin your life!!!  Just another form of fascism.  Have fun with that shit.  

that's not what he was saying at all. Come on, Trey. Be better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

You going to sue the police for not being there?  Because that's probably what would happen. 

Hey, I've got GREAT news for you -- that lawsuit can't happen.  Why is that?  Because, as a matter of law, the police have NO DUTY to protect you or anyone else.  None.  Zero.  So, exhale.  It will all be okay.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

What precisely do you think is going on? All accounts I’ve seen so far have indicated that the protests at Columbia, Yale, etc. have been peaceful. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

that's not what he was saying at all. Come on, Trey. Be better.

I'm being reasonable.  I am all for protesting.  I am not for what happened on Columbia's campus, or Yale's or what is likely going on at Berkeley right now either.  So much for thinking about your fellow students, most of whom vote the same way as those protesting.  It's fucking laughable.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well the protestors were waving the green & white flag of Hamas, so that was kind of a leading indicator.  There were Palestine flags as well, to be sure.  But the Palestinian Sunni Militant waved by many young people was kind of a giveaway.  Other than getting up in my grill, I was most curious about how you even buy those things.  Like, is there a link on Amazon, or? 

Fuck off you piece of shit liar. We've all seen the fucking video. Show your work or shut the fuck up.

The issues behind the protest aside, this is going to become yet another cautionary tale in escalation/de-escalation.  You physically invade people's personal space whether as a protestor or an officer in riot gear, that person may biologically lash out as most cornered animals do and perhaps appear aggressive.  Which causes the other party to take physical action and tit for tat, it all escalates.  Sometimes intentional, sometimes unintentional.  But there are tens of thousands of examples of it just in the last 150 years.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Fuck off you piece of shit liar. We've all seen the fucking video. Show your work or shut the fuck up.

I didn't say at this particular protest today.  If you read my post, I said in the many months since the Bari Weiss talk, I've been on campus dozens and dozens of times and have seen protests (at the three sites I've mentioned-bridge from PCL/McCombs, Tower/6-pack, and West Mall)...and have seen the green & white hamas flag on numerous occasions.  I don't photograph/video it for the simple reason I don't make it a habit at my age of filming college students, it's creepy as fuck.  I can PM or text you with their locations though next time I see the flags flying before semester's end if you like.  But I ain't filming anything.  You can certainly go to campus in person and see for yourself.  Hard telling what happens after today's escalation though.  

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Dude you are so far off.

My daughter is on campus in class right now.  I told her to make sure she stays fucking clear due to the storm troopers in tan.  If they fuck with her as she is just trying to get back to her apartment I will end up in jail tonight.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

I didn't say at this particular protest today.  If you read my post, I said in the many months since the Bari Weiss talk, I've been on campus dozens and dozens of times and have seen protests (at the three sites I've mentioned-bridge from PCL/McCombs, Tower/6-pack, and West Mall)...and have seen the green & white hamas flag on numerous occasions.  I don't photograph/video it for the simple reason I don't make it a habit at my age of filming college students, it's creepy as fuck.  I can PM or text you with their locations though next time I see the flags flying before semester's end if you like.  But I ain't filming anything.  You can certainly go to campus in person and see for yourself.  Hard telling what happens after today's escalation though.  

I'm talking about the Bari Weiss protest as well. The videos of that protest are out there for everyone to see. Sorry, but your gibberish and nonsense doesn't fly here.

Everybody lies every single day, especially if you have children.  I merely indicated that spending a lot of time on campus lately, I have seen protestors waving the Hamas flag.  Not today (I'm at work), but in the past few months.  Not exactly earth-shattering news.  But reporting what I've seen in person is apparently a war-crime.

I'm talking about the Bari Weiss protest as well. The videos of that protest are out there for everyone to see. Sorry, but your gibberish and nonsense doesn't fly here.

You shoulda told me you were there, woulda bought you a beer afterwards.  

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Everybody lies every single day, especially if you have children.  I merely indicated that spending a lot of time on campus lately, I have seen protestors waving the Hamas flag.  Not today (I'm at work), but in the past few months.  Not exactly earth-shattering news.  But reporting what I've seen in person is apparently a war-crime.

You shoulda told me you were there, woulda bought you a beer afterwards.  

Personal anecdotes, especially those offered without evidence, and those that fly in the face of existing evidence, are worth less than a steaming pile of dog shit one might step in. I hate to be the one to have to break that news to you.

Personal anecdotes, especially those offered without evidence, and those that fly in the face of existing evidence, are worth less than a steaming pile of dog shit one might step in. I hate to be the one to have to break that news to you.

I've given the location of the protests not today's mind you, three times.  I assume the oppressive force posturing by DPS will alter it, but you are more than welcomed to visit those areas (usually afternoons is when they are most active) and see for yourself.  I am not taking video footage of U21 people for your confidence.  Wasn't saying they can't protest or calling for their detainment.  I think it's a healthy and robust debate that needs fleshing out.  I think today just escalates things even though police often use that "why are you being so aggressive, we're just tryin to keep the peace" bullshit angle.  I have worked with some form or fashion of the DDCE on campus for 15 years to promote free exchange of ideas of marginalized groups.  The protests, as stated above, have been 99% above board and this is mostly political posturing by our state/local leadership.  I simply reported what I've seen/experienced a few times in the last ~6 months.  You can either come to campus and see for yourself or remain the bold keyboard warrior that you are.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Was thinking about the protests against apartheid, back in the day. I don’t remember police intervention, and those protests were pretty damn influential. Investments were redirected because public awareness became focused on not enabling the racists.

Effectively protesting requires awareness of how to control the narrative. Once the cops start to thug, the narrative shifts.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Not to threadjack, but it’s almost as if you’ve never read one of lobo’s posts. They’re like 95% bullshit anecdotes. Scroll and move on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

Was thinking about the protests against apartheid, back in the day. I don’t remember police intervention, and those protests were pretty damn influential. Investments were redirected because public awareness became focused on not enabling the racists.

Effectively protesting requires awareness of how to control the narrative. Once the cops start to thug, the narrative shifts.

i was there too, one time Jesse Jackson showed up for a speech in the blazing heat and humidity.  One time the UT President came down from the tower to make a statement to the crowd, one black girl ran up to the podium and ripped his papers.  Damn disrespectful.  The South Africa issue had widespread support from liberals and Black Americans - the Palestine one doesn't have those kind of demographics at all.  The Israeli issue is intractable and they keep getting more and more money every time -- a whopping $17 Billion (26 -9 for poors) just yesterday. It's amazing. 

Those of you who support the DPS on campus today haven't watched the posted video (or any of the current live streams), or you have watched some of it and simply get off on watching armed assholes in uniform shoving kids around.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I guess I wish we could just think/hear/care less about what college kids do/say or what goes on at college campuses. It’s just not very important. The kids are all shouting,  Abbott is using DPS to burnish his credentials by cracking skulls, and none of it has impact beyond public spectacle.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I'm just happy most everyone seems to be wearing a mask.  

I am technically on a UT campus today at MD Anderson (Mrs Twosheds is receiving treatments), and I can assure you that everyone here is also wearing masks.  

Edited by twosheds
grammar and word choice

Just now, bolverk said:

Those of you who support the DPS on campus today haven't watched the posted video (or any of the current live streams), or you have watched some of it and simply get off on watching armed assholes in uniform shoving kids around.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I guess I wish we could just think/hear/care less about what college kids do/say or what goes on at college campuses. It’s just not very important. The kids are all shouting,  Abbott is using DPS to burnish his credentials by cracking skulls, and none of it has impact beyond public spectacle.

Good summary.  he's 10 minutes away from ordering the deployment of orange razor-wire buoys around campus to block protestors.  He'll then be told they don't work well on land, and he pulls a Marty Short SNL sketch quote, "Well, I'm not that strong a swimmer..." 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm in the AT&T Conference center attending SDC 2024 and they just announced that the Texas national guard has been mobilized to neutralize a riot near the convention, but by the time the conference is over they should be gone, but not to go "north on campus or just north of campus"

LOL

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

What the hell could possibly happen just north of Campus?  That Seminary school or Hyde Park?  Dammit Biff Tannen, what have you done this time?  

I'm supporting campus dialogue and merely indicated on a handful of occasions seeing Hamas flags on campus.  And this is just somehow baffling to many of you.  signs and wonders...

Edited by YGIFS

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

20 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

i was there too, one time Jesse Jackson showed up for a speech in the blazing heat and humidity.  One time the UT President came down from the tower to make a statement to the crowd, one black girl ran up to the podium and ripped his papers.  Damn disrespectful.  The South Africa issue had widespread support from liberals and Black Americans - the Palestine one doesn't have those kind of demographics at all.  The Israeli issue is intractable and they keep getting more and more money every time -- a whopping $17 Billion (26 -9 for poors) just yesterday. It's amazing. 

Good points. Nevertheless, those protests did change public opinion, meaning it affected groups who were neither liberal nor black. 

Today, though, the narrative changed. Public focus will not be on the message of the protest, but on the action by the government. I guess Kent State might well be a more appropriate historical analogy. Certainly, if the first hand reports I am privy to are correct, students were peacefully exercising their rights, and then the thugs thugged. 

Imagine Kent State viewed through the social media lens we have today. These students are very savvy in the use of social media. There will be consequences. 

Still, apartheid protests were way more successful than Vietnam protests:

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

Today, though, the narrative changed. Public focus will not be on the message of the protest, but on the action by the government. I guess Kent State might well be a more appropriate historical analogy. Certainly, if the first hand reports I am privy to are correct, students were peacefully exercising their rights, and then the thugs thugged. 

Yep. The STATE decided to make it about a display of force rather than the actual issue being protested. If you watch the video, the students were peacefully marching on a SIDEWALK ON CAMPUS (not blocking a highway or traffic or any other excuse apologists love to give), and the DPS just started barging through the march, shoving kids around and pushing them back. Then came the cops on horses and a fat DPS dude on a motorcycle saying that anyone who doesn't disperse will be arrested. Now, the cops have staked out their ground on the grassy area of Six Pack, periodically expanding their turf by pushing protesters farther and farther back.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1