Israel

SmokeyBear1861

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Hot Wheels will sell UT-Austin to Elon Musk and turn it into a bastion of free speech.

First thing will be changing the lyrics to I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THE RAILROAD

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yep. The STATE decided to make it about a display of force rather than the actual issue being protested. If you watch the video, the students were peacefully marching on a SIDEWALK ON CAMPUS (not blocking a highway or traffic or any other excuse apologists love to give), and the DPS just started barging through the march, shoving kids around and pushing them back. Then came the cops on horses and a fat DPS dude on a motorcycle saying that anyone who doesn't disperse will be arrested. Now, the cops have staked out their ground on the grassy area of Six Pack, periodically expanding their turf by pushing protesters farther and farther back.

Accepting that these are the facts, those who agree with the actions of the government, listen up: you are no patriot, you are no Christian, you are a “wiping” skidmark in humanity’s boxers.

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah.  Regardless of position on this issue, this is going to be one of those images that endures in infamy.  And we'd be able to duck it as a school/alumni base but for those vertical "Texas" banners on the lamp posts.  The force posturing and paddy wagon on a pedestrian walkway in the heart of campus is going to haunt us for awhile, I suspect.  

The fact that the President's office nor the Chancellor's office have said a word about it yet gives me even greater pause.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The fact that the President's office nor the Chancellor's office have said a word about it yet gives me even greater pause.  

In recent years, I have grown more and more ashamed of my affiliation with the University of Texas. Today did not help. 

• Rage+1 2

Yeah, he literally looks like Syrian Jesus  

Regents and UT System officials are reportedly on a conference call now.  But it would be wise for Hartzell to say something, anything.  

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Where the fuck is Hartzell? A lot of silence from the administration while Greg’s Gestapo is occupying the 40 acres.

Who the fuck do you think has been holding the door open for Greg's Gestapo?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

Just now, royiv said:

I’m not going to go look, but I bet they’re furiously jerking it to those photos over at TexAgs.

That's probably true.  Seems like our "Welcome to the SEC" launch party has taken a very awkward, but very appropriate for the conference, turn for the worst.  

9 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Accepting that these are the facts, those who agree with the actions of the government, listen up: you are no patriot, you are no Christian, you are a “wiping” skidmark in humanity’s boxers.

I've timed the video to a little more than a minute before any shit goes down. Protestors are standing around. Local Fox crew is talking about just needing to get an interview. Suddenly, you hear yelling, and they focus in on cops trying to take someone down in the crowd. Bike cops start coming in, followed by the riot cops, who do more shoving. Later, the horse cops. Even after all that, the protestors are peaceful as fuck. Most of the rest of the video is people standing around chanting as the police presence gets heavier. Yellow-vested protestors, who look like they're the organizers, even managed to clear Speedway for the horsey cops much later in the video.

There was no violence, nor threat of violence, except from the fucking cops.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

I did not have "non-beer carrying Clydesdales" on my UT 2024 bingo card.  Abbott fucked up big time here.  I don't know if Dunn put him up to it, but this got way outta hand.  Even Abbott isn't this stupid, something else was lost in chain of command.  He just pissed away a decade of pro-UT goodwill.  

• Hook 'Em 1

But we don't want federal aid or interference in our Lone Star State.  Even if it means dead kids!  

Actually DPS is pretty good at one thing, to be fair.  They help the cartels move product around the state.  And I guess, they have nice looking horses.  

32 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm not on any platforms, but is there any chatter from any official UT social media about this shit?  

UT Comms has gone dark for awhile, especially internally.  Ever since the closing of the DCC.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

DPS are keystone cops. There's a reason it took a federal agency to take out the Uvalde shooter.

What you have to understand is that law enforcement in Texas is geared towards beating kids, not saving them.

Once you realize that, this all makes sense.

17 minutes ago, royiv said:

Where the fuck is Hartzell? A lot of silence from the administration while Greg’s Gestapo is occupying the 40 acres.

I'm speculating, but it's based on real-world experience: Hartzell is keeping his head down because he's in a no-win situation. See, our governor and AG have made it VERY CLEAR to every governmental official in Texas: cross them, and they will fucking inflict brutal vengeance on you.  "Vindictiveness" is the governing order of the day in Texas.

If Hartzell stands up to the governor....the governor will inflict so much petty revenge and punishment on the university that the cost will be 10X greater than anything Hartzell could gain.  Hartzell only has a choice as to how to lose, and how much to lose.  With this state government, there is no winning move.  They are petty tyrants, act as such, and fucking strut around BRAGGING about it.  Cross them, or even upset them, and they will make you suffer.  This is a known fact.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, YGIFS said:

Actually DPS is pretty good at one thing, to be fair.  They help the cartels move product around the state.  And I guess, they have nice looking horses.  

And folks wonder why we can’t have nice, legal, flower. Cartel, meet Dunn. Y’all have much in common.

2 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

UT Comms has gone dark for awhile, especially internally.  Ever since the closing of the DCC.

I thought the DCC was still open.  Are you referring to DDCE?  Because yeah, that's being shut down.  Their last event is the Tower Awards deal in a couple weeks.  Our Subiendo program is still on pins and needles to see if we survive.  We're green-lit for this summer's academy.  But after that is a total crapshoot.  

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Even Abbott isn't this stupid

He's sucking up to trump, trying to be the authoritarian. The more I think about this the more pissed I get. Those are fucking tuition paying students with every right to assemble there and that  POS called riot troops in on them  

Yet nonstudents stand in the west mall and harass students, yelling antilgbtq and misogynistic shit at people they think look “gay” or “slutty” and there are cops there to keep students from going off on them

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, YGIFS said:

I thought the DCC was still open.  Are you referring to DDCE?  Because yeah, that's being shut down.  Their last event is the Tower Awards deal in a couple weeks.  Our Subiendo program is still on pins and needles to see if we survive.  We're green-lit for this summer's academy.  But after that is a total crapshoot.  

Yeah typing to fast and left the E off.  Yes they are still open, but they are gone as of July 1st.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

image.thumb.png.cddc3bcf2eaa01849394fe346969a41f.png

Okay, I never really could tell what's fake and what's real on internet photographs, but if that's real..........................we just got turbo-fucked as a school by Abbott.  

What a bunch of fucking bullshit. God damn this is infuriating.

I'm just getting caught up on this thread, but I have seen absolutely no evidence that this type of response and show of force was necessary.

Our "leaders" in Texas continue to fail us. Fucking pussies.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What you have to understand is that law enforcement in Texas is geared towards beating kids, not saving them.

Once you realize that, this all makes sense.

I'm speculating, but it's based on real-world experience: Hartzell is keeping his head down because he's in a no-win situation. See, our governor and AG have made it VERY CLEAR to every governmental official in Texas: cross them, and they will fucking inflict brutal vengeance on you.  "Vindictiveness" is the governing order of the day in Texas.

If Hartzell stands up to the governor....the governor will inflict so much petty revenge and punishment on the university that the cost will be 10X greater than anything Hartzell could gain.  Hartzell only has a choice as to how to lose, and how much to lose.  With this state government, there is no winning move.  They are petty tyrants, act as such, and fucking strut around BRAGGING about it.  Cross them, or even upset them, and they will make you suffer.  This is a known fact.

he’s a lame duck

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

He's sucking up to trump, trying to be the authoritarian. The more I think about this the more pissed I get. Those are fucking tuition paying students with every right to assemble there and that  POS called riot troops in on them  

Yet nonstudents stand in the west mall and harass students, yelling antilgbtq and misogynistic shit at people they think look “gay” or “slutty” and there are cops there to keep students from going off on them

desantis is going to one up abbott, beat protesters before they protest

One final clip from the long video demonstrates how peaceful the students were when the yellow-vested organizers cleared a path for the cops. Just as the quote above shows, it's the fascist assholes who want the appearance of chaos on our campus so that the suckers will continue to support them.

• Hook 'Em 6

31 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I did not have "non-beer carrying Clydesdales" on my UT 2024 bingo card.  Abbott fucked up big time here.  I don't know if Dunn put him up to it, but this got way outta hand.  Even Abbott isn't this stupid, something else was lost in chain of command.  He just pissed away a decade of pro-UT goodwill.  

has Ted Cruz relayed his thoughts? 

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

One final clip from the long video demonstrates how peaceful the students were when the yellow-vested organizers cleared a path for the cops. Just as the quote above shows, it's the fascist assholes who want the appearance of chaos on our campus so that the suckers will continue to support them.

Oh you mean like this very fine person over in DT?

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Not enough cracking. Hopefully common sense can be cracked into them but seeing these morons grow up and jerk each other off the cloakroom is the next step   I. Sure Blacklab will come come out of the cloakroom and ban me because my opinion is different so I’ll let you guys beat each other off over free Palestine 

Because he's doing exactly what you called out and buying the appearance of chaos to justify the brutality

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

has Ted Cruz relayed his thoughts? 

I dunno, I don't do his social media outlets.  I imagine he'll be asked about it at some point in the near future but his opinion doesn't mean much with regard to a state university and state police action.  His stance on Israel/Palestine are one of the few things he's clearly outlined over the years.  But I'm sure he'll get asked about it and make an awkward smug face like he's climaxing into a lawn gnome.