Israel

SmokeyBear1861

30 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

she didn't, the cop could simply have pulled her to the side without grinding her into the concrete. 

30 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Man, if you can't just look at her and understand that they used unnecessary force I don't know what to tell you. 

The cops 100% used too much force. The professor could see that, and she chose to get up on cops who were using too much force. They were wrong but she choose poorly. Even when you're right, there can be consequences.

I'm not faulting her for trying to help the situation but the post, that I quoted, seemed to imply that her status as a professor somehow should be taken into account. 

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The cops are being thugs but she got into the middle of their arrest. It's doubtful that they knew she was a professor and I'm uncertain how her job title would impact their orders.

You think cops making an arrest have the right to slam you to the ground and cuff you for asking them a question?

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

You think cops making an arrest have the right to slam you to the ground and cuff you for asking them a question?

It's not right. And I don't think they have the right.

But it's what they do.

And everyone, in 2024, knows it. The reputation for cops as thugs, bullies, etc. with little to no accountability. It is known.

I'm reminded of that funny TikTok guy who works retails when the customers whine about the reality versus the theory crafted on the internet:

"The website says it's in stock"

"Yea? Well what do your eyes say?"

Cops aren't supposed to act that way. But what do our eyes say?

Just now, BeardIP said:

But it's what they do.

And everyone, in 2024, knows it. The reputation for cops as thugs, bullies, etc. with little to no accountability. It is known.

The fucker you voted for did quite a lot of heavy lifting to normalize cops using force as a first step. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Being charitable to him, he thinks cops are basically untrained animals and a smart person should be smart enough to not get bit. Which I don't really disagree with. But he seems to think that's just how police inherently are and thus not something worth getting mad about. But we know it's not just how police inherently are, because we see how they treat people they like (white supremacists). And we see how more civilized police in other countries behave. 

They're our employees and are supposed to serve us, but they only see us as their enemy, and normal people tend to rightfully get pissed off when they come to that realization.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

The fucker you voted for did quite a lot of heavy lifting to normalize cops using force as a first step. 

He knows. That's why he voted for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

But we know it's not just how police inherently are, because we see how they treat people they like (white supremacists).

Ding ding ding.  Cops are PERFECTLY capable of conducting themselves like civilized beings.   It just depends 100% on whether they like you.  Which is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

But it's what they do.

I'm reminded of that funny TikTok guy who works retails when the customers whine about the reality versus the theory crafted on the internet:

So, just comply? 

I'm no boot licker.

This attitude right here is why the brutality persists.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

meanwhile the mass murder continues in various forms:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/apr/20/israel-destroyed-embryos-bombing-ivf-center-gaza?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3PDG_dbHAbDckpmqmQ1doj7GW28prevb0OZcijp_OvZQJ5bDemL5U-ipo_aem_AcUdA_1TnVANP3zxqvE7zOcyKa2rtvAUQfojg8a1T6VyW0i_2Xm_qMAaZXoRKdZPMSEI9yr4C2k1s69iIw5awi2T

An Israeli bomb destroyed 4,000 embryos at a Gaza IVF centre. Where is the outrage?

For many families in Gaza, those hopes were permanently wiped out by one Israeli missile strike. In December, an Israeli shell, possibly provided by the US, hit Gaza City’s largest fertility clinic, the Al Basma IVF centre. The explosion, according to a Reuters piece that came out this week, “blasted the lids off five liquid nitrogen tanks stored in a corner of the embryology unit”. More than 4,000 embryos were destroyed, along with 1,000 more specimens of sperm and unfertilized eggs.

One single strike. That’s all it took. One single strike and thousands of potential lives were wiped out. For at least half of the couples who were patients at the clinic, many of whom had saved up for years to afford treatments, those embryos were their last chance to get pregnant, Bahaeldeen Ghalayini, the obstetrician who established the clinic, told Reuters.

Why would Israel bomb a fertility center? The Israeli military’s press desk told Reuters that it would look into it. Judging by Israel’s record of looking into its own actions, you shouldn’t hold your breath waiting for answers. No doubt Israel will just say it received special intelligence that at least 25% of those embryos were going to grow up to be terrorists. Whatever the press desk says, if it bothers saying anything, it won’t make a difference to the Biden administration. Israeli leaders have made a litany of genocidal statements and the US government is still sending a never-ending supply of unconditional aid.

Just stop for a moment and imagine if this had happened in Israel or in any other country considered a western ally. Imagine if 4,000 Israeli embryos had been destroyed. Imagine the justifiable outrage, the immense sadness, it would have caused. This story, however, which has taken months to come out, has barely seemed to register. And why would it? As many western leaders have made clear, they simply do not think of Palestinians as human.

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

But it's what they do.

My eyes say you are a moron

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2024/04/26/ut-austin-pro-palestinian-protest-charges-dropped-against-all-57-people-arrested/73468467007/

Spoiler

Charges dropped against all 57 arrested in connection to UT-Austin pro-Palestinian protest

All charges have been declined against the 57 people arrested in connection to the Wednesday pro-Palestinian protest at the University of Texas.

The Travis County attorney's office said all 57 arrests, which were all criminal trespassing charges, lacked probable cause.

County Attorney Delia Garza, whose office handles misdemeanor cases, told the American-Statesman on Thursday that her office agreed with defense lawyers that there were "deficiencies" with the probable cause arrest affidavits, which are the documents filled out by law enforcement to justify an arrest. At that time on Thursday, 46 of the 57 had charges declined.

While state police with the Texas Department of Public Safety and officers with the Austin Police Department were seen handcuffing people at Wednesday's protest, all 57 arrests were technically by the University of Texas Police Department. This means university police filled out each of the 57 probable cause affidavits.

Nouha Ezouhri, an attorney with the Travis County public defender's office, helped file jail release forms for those arrested at the protest. She told the Statesman on Thursday that it looked like university police "copied and pasted" each probable cause affidavit for every person arrested.

"That's not how it's supposed to be," Ezouhri said.

Everyone arrested in connection to the protest was released from the Travis County Jail on Thursday by mid-afternoon, said Travis County sheriff's office spokesperson Kristen Dark.

None of the protesters faced felony charges, the Travis County district attorney's office confirmed.

Although the charges have been dropped, it's possible that police could decide to fill out more probable cause affidavits and press charges against those arrested, George Lobb, an attorney with the Austin Lawyers Guild, told the Statesman. Police have two years to bring charges against those they arrested under Texas' statute of limitations for misdemeanors.

Stephanie Jacksis, spokesperson for the University of Texas Police Department, said she's uncertain if UT police intend to do that.

This is a developing story. Check back for more updates.

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Being charitable to him, he thinks cops are basically untrained animals and a smart person should be smart enough to not get bit. Which I don't really disagree with.

Damn.  This is spot on. 

36 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2024/04/26/ut-austin-pro-palestinian-protest-charges-dropped-against-all-57-people-arrested/73468467007/

Hide contents

Charges dropped against all 57 arrested in connection to UT-Austin pro-Palestinian protest

All charges have been declined against the 57 people arrested in connection to the Wednesday pro-Palestinian protest at the University of Texas.

The Travis County attorney's office said all 57 arrests, which were all criminal trespassing charges, lacked probable cause.

County Attorney Delia Garza, whose office handles misdemeanor cases, told the American-Statesman on Thursday that her office agreed with defense lawyers that there were "deficiencies" with the probable cause arrest affidavits, which are the documents filled out by law enforcement to justify an arrest. At that time on Thursday, 46 of the 57 had charges declined.

While state police with the Texas Department of Public Safety and officers with the Austin Police Department were seen handcuffing people at Wednesday's protest, all 57 arrests were technically by the University of Texas Police Department. This means university police filled out each of the 57 probable cause affidavits.

Nouha Ezouhri, an attorney with the Travis County public defender's office, helped file jail release forms for those arrested at the protest. She told the Statesman on Thursday that it looked like university police "copied and pasted" each probable cause affidavit for every person arrested.

"That's not how it's supposed to be," Ezouhri said.

Everyone arrested in connection to the protest was released from the Travis County Jail on Thursday by mid-afternoon, said Travis County sheriff's office spokesperson Kristen Dark.

None of the protesters faced felony charges, the Travis County district attorney's office confirmed.

Although the charges have been dropped, it's possible that police could decide to fill out more probable cause affidavits and press charges against those arrested, George Lobb, an attorney with the Austin Lawyers Guild, told the Statesman. Police have two years to bring charges against those they arrested under Texas' statute of limitations for misdemeanors.

Stephanie Jacksis, spokesperson for the University of Texas Police Department, said she's uncertain if UT police intend to do that.

This is a developing story. Check back for more updates.

What’s the big deal? Don’t we all have jobs where we can fuck up 57 out of 57 times in one day and yet keep cashing out taxpayer-funded paychecks?

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Damn.  This is spot on. 

Except....you know....not entirely.  Sometimes, it's important enough to exercise your rights that the choice is fuck the police.

sub-buzz-28668-1551912723-1.jpg

dd0dfd29-5672-4e9b-96b8-a013be63e287-004

In fact....I'm pretty comfortable saying that "fuck the police" should be the default choice.  Those fuckers work for US, under OUR rules.  Look at the org chart, you jackboot shitheels -- you work for ME.  And they need to be reminded of that.  Frequently, and with zero subtlety.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 5

what a surprise, guess who wants to buy Tik Tok 

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/14/former-treasury-secretary-mnuchin-is-putting-together-an-investor-group-to-buy-tiktok.html

Former Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is building an investor group to acquire ByteDance’s TikTok, as a bipartisan piece of legislation winding its way through Congress threatens its continued existence in the U.S.

GPOKG-Netanyahu-Mnuchin.jpg

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Viral post going around of protesters replacing an American flag at Harvard with the Palestinian one.

Protestors in 2024 have absolutely no understanding of how to create change and are purely in it for the tiktok views.

and the zionists want to buy TikTok and eliminate the Pals.  See my post above.

Protesting has always been about getting attention.  

This was fun pro-palestine-protesters-in-the-us-dress

38 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

and the zionists want to buy TikTok and eliminate the Pals.  See my post above.

:rolleyes:

There are several investor groups interested in tiktok..

On 4/26/2024 at 9:12 AM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

meanwhile Google fires everybody

https://apnews.com/article/google-israel-protest-workers-gaza-palestinians-96d2871f1340cb84c953118b7ef88b3f

Google fired at least 20 more workers in the aftermath of protests over technology the company is supplying the Israeli government amid the Gaza war, bringing the total number of terminated staff to more than 50, a group representing the workers said.

It’s the latest sign of internal turmoil at the tech giant centered on “Project Nimbus,” a $1.2 billion contract signed in 2021 for Google and Amazon to provide the Israeli government with cloud computing and artificial intelligence services.

Workers held sit-in protests last week at Google offices in New York and Sunnyvale, California. The company responded by calling the police, who made arrests.

The group organizing the protests, No Tech For Apartheid, said the company fired 30 workers last week — higher than the initial 28 they had announced.

Then, on Tuesday night, Google fired “over 20” more staffers, “including non-participating bystanders during last week’s protests,” said Jane Chung, a spokeswoman for No Tech For Apartheid, without providing a more specific number.

“Google’s aims are clear: the corporation is attempting to quash dissent, silence its workers, and reassert its power over them,” Chung said in a press release. “In its attempts to do so, Google has decided to unceremoniously, and without due process, upend the livelihoods of over 50 of its own workers.”

image.jpeg.69b1e20a104fe77667969adf9a52e09f.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

lets see who buys it. My bet is on the Zionists, or at the very least their closely associated friends. Then lets see what happens to the anti Israel content. 

I for one wouldnt shed a tear if tiktok just went away but whoever buys, it wont be for few a years, this thing will be tied up in court for awhile 

Israeli Officials Believe I.C.C. Is Preparing Arrest Warrants Over War
The officials said they believed that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other Israelis could be charged, and that the court was also considering warrants for Hamas leaders.

Israeli officials increasingly believe that the International Criminal Court is preparing to issue arrest warrants for senior government officials on charges related to the conflict with Hamas, according to five Israeli and foreign officials.

The Israeli and foreign officials also believe the court is weighing arrest warrants for leaders from Hamas.

If the court proceeds, the Israeli officials could potentially be accused of preventing the delivery of humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip and pursuing an excessively harsh response to the Hamas-led Oct. 7 attacks on Israel, according to two of the five officials, all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.

The Israeli officials, who are worried about the potential fallout from such a case, said they believe that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is among those who might be named in a warrant. It is not clear who might be charged from Hamas or what crimes would be cited.

The Israeli officials did not disclose the nature of the information that led them to be concerned about potential I.C.C. action, and the court did not comment on the matter.

Arrest warrants from the court would probably be seen in much of the world as a humbling moral rebuke, particularly to Israel, which for months has faced international backlash over its conduct in Gaza, including from President Biden, who called it “over the top.”

It could also affect Israel’s policies as the country presses its military campaign against Hamas. One of the Israeli officials said that the possibility of the court issuing arrest warrants had informed Israeli decision-making in recent weeks.

The Israeli and foreign officials said they didn’t know what stage the process was in.  Any warrants would require approval from a panel of judges and would not necessarily result in a trial or even the targets’ immediate arrest.

Karim Khan, the court’s chief prosecutor, has previously confirmed that his team is investigating incidents during the war, but his office declined to comment for this article, saying that it does not “respond to speculation in media reports.”

Mr. Netanyahu’s office also would not comment, but on Friday the prime minister said on social media that any intervention by the I.C.C. “would set a dangerous precedent that threatens the soldiers and officials of all democracies fighting savage terrorism and wanton aggression.”

Mr. Netanyahu did not explain what prompted his statement, though he may have been responding to speculation about the arrest warrants in the Israeli press.

He also said: “Under my leadership, Israel will never accept any attempt by the ICC to undermine its inherent right of self-defense. The threat to seize the soldiers and officials of the Middle East’s only democracy and the world’s only Jewish state is outrageous. We will not bow to it.”

Based in The Hague, the I.C.C. is the world’s only permanent international court with the power to prosecute individuals accused of war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity. The court has no police force of its own. Instead, it relies on its 124 members, which include most European countries but not Israel or the United States, to arrest those named in warrants. It cannot try defendants in absentia.

But warrants from the court can pose obstacles to travel for officials named in them.

The Hamas-led raid last October led to the killing of roughly 1,200 people in Israel and the abductions of some 250 others, according to Israeli officials. The subsequent war in Gaza, including heavy Israeli bombardment, has killed more than 34,000 people, according to Gazan officials, caused widespread damage to housing and infrastructure, and brought the territory to the brink of famine.

The Israeli assault in Gaza has led the International Court of Justice, a separate court in The Hague, to hear accusations of genocide against the Israeli state and has spurred a wave of protests on college campuses in the United States.

If the I.C.C. does issue arrest warrants, they would come with deep stigmatization, placing those named in them in the same category as foreign leaders like Omar al-Bashir, the deposed president of Sudan, and Vladimir V. Putin, the Russian president, who was the subject of a warrant last year tied to his war against Ukraine.

The I.C.C.’s focus on individuals rather than states differentiates it from the International Court of Justice, which settles disputes between states.

The I.C.C. judges have ruled that the court has jurisdiction over Gaza and the West Bank because the Palestinians have joined the court as the State of Palestine.

Mr. Khan has said that his team will be investigating incidents that have occurred since Oct. 7 and that he will be “impartially looking at the evidence and vindicating the rights of victims whether they are in Israel or Palestine.”

Mr. Khan’s office has also been investigating allegations of war crimes committed during the 2014 war between Israel and Hamas; one of the officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity believes the new arrest warrants would be an extension of that investigation.

Hamas and the Israeli military did not respond to requests for comment. The office of Yoav Gallant, the Israeli defense minister, declined to comment.

In general, Israeli officials say that they fight according to the laws of war and that they take significant steps to protect civilians, accusing Hamas of hiding inside civilian areas and forcing Israel to pursue them there. Hamas has denied committing atrocities on Oct. 7, saying — despite video evidence to the contrary — that its fighters tried to avoid harming civilians.

Edit: Repasted with plain text.

Edited by bolverk

27 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“Paste as plain text instead”

Click that at the bottom of the text editor. 

I was repasting from the DT thread (where I did do plain text from the original article). I didn't realize that it'd mess up within the Surly ecosystem. It's funny though that now those who absolutely never paste in plain text can see how ridiculous it looks to those of us who read Surly in dark mode.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I was repasting from the DT thread (where I did do plain text from the original article). I didn't realize that it'd mess up within the Surly ecosystem. It's funny though that now those who absolutely never paste in plain text can see how ridiculous it looks to those of us who read Surly in dark mode.

It’s even worse for us normal people when we’re forced into dark mode pastes. :)

IMG_2462.thumb.jpeg.3411cec6469c50487a5d30043ad7a8e3.jpeg

Dark mode hurts my eyes. I don’t get the attraction. I’m not sure it’s all that its users think it is. But whatever. Do what you wanna. But we should all be vigilant about posting in plain text, imo. (If we want to include the links, we can edit our plain text posts to include them if we’re not too lazy to take the time.)

https://www.wired.com/story/dark-mode-chrome-android-ios-science/

17 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

what a surprise, guess who wants to buy Tik Tok 

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/14/former-treasury-secretary-mnuchin-is-putting-together-an-investor-group-to-buy-tiktok.html

Former Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is building an investor group to acquire ByteDance’s TikTok, as a bipartisan piece of legislation winding its way through Congress threatens its continued existence in the U.S.

GPOKG-Netanyahu-Mnuchin.jpg

Uh, I'd rather keep it with the Chinese.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s even worse for us normal people when we’re forced into dark mode pastes. :)

IMG_2462.thumb.jpeg.3411cec6469c50487a5d30043ad7a8e3.jpeg

Dark mode hurts my eyes. I don’t get the attraction. I’m not sure it’s all that its users think it is. But whatever. Do what you wanna. But we should all be vigilant about posting in plain text, imo. (If we want to include the links, we can edit our plain text posts to include them if we’re not too lazy to take the time.)

https://www.wired.com/story/dark-mode-chrome-android-ios-science/

For fuck's sake, I already fixed it. Refresh your fucking screen.

And I usually am very god damned vigilant about pasting articles using plain text. As I ALREADY explained, I had repasted the text from a post I'd made in DT, not realizing that the plain text I had used in that forum would not carry over into this one.

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

For fuck's sake, I already fixed it. Refresh your fucking screen.

And I usually am very god damned vigilant about pasting articles using plain text. As I ALREADY explained, I had repasted the text from a post I'd made in DT, not realizing that the plain text I had used in that forum would not carry over into this one.

It’s all good, my brother. I thought my smiley emoji would convey that I was just having lighthearted fun. Swing-and-a-miss, I guess. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s all good, my brother. I thought my smiley emoji would convey that I was just having lighthearted fun. Swing-and-a-miss, I guess. 

I've got a case of the Mondays.

Israel's Far-right Minister Smotrich Calls for 'No Half Measures' in the 'Total Annihilation' of Gaza - Israel News - Haaretz.com

Israel's Far-right Minister Smotrich Calls for 'No Half Measures' in the 'Total Annihilation' of Gaza

Speaking at an end of Passover event, Israel's finance minister Bezalel Smotrich also said the current talks with Hamas are 'with someone who long ago should have ceased to exist'

Apr 30, 2024 6:07 pm IDT

Finance Minister and member of the security cabinet Bezalel Smotrich called on Monday for annihilating Israel's enemies, saying "There are no half measures. [The Gazan cities of] Rafah, Deir al-Balah, Nuseirat – total annihilation. 'You will blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven' – there's no place under heaven."

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Israel's Far-right Minister Smotrich Calls for 'No Half Measures' in the 'Total Annihilation' of Gaza - Israel News - Haaretz.com

Israel's Far-right Minister Smotrich Calls for 'No Half Measures' in the 'Total Annihilation' of Gaza

Speaking at an end of Passover event, Israel's finance minister Bezalel Smotrich also said the current talks with Hamas are 'with someone who long ago should have ceased to exist'

Apr 30, 2024 6:07 pm IDT

Finance Minister and member of the security cabinet Bezalel Smotrich called on Monday for annihilating Israel's enemies, saying "There are no half measures. [The Gazan cities of] Rafah, Deir al-Balah, Nuseirat – total annihilation. 'You will blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven' – there's no place under heaven."

Okay but they don't really think that! /s

the Rafah invasion plan is set.  Hamas knows they are dead men walking.

1. evacuate all 1.5 million Rafah slightly north

2. filter the evacuees by men of fighting age, keep them in barbed wire areas, to find the Hamas fighters.

3. once the women, kids and elderly have been removed, move in for the kill. 

4. blow the living hell out of Rafah, few buildings will survive.

5. Bodies of thousands of Hamas will litter the streets for weeks. 

- the most prized dead person will not be the leader Sinwar, but Hamas # 1 commander Mohammad Deif who IDF has tried to kill for several years with 5-6 failed attempts (one of which killed his wife / kids). 

It's going to be massive within the next 7 days. 

29 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And Israel wonders why it's losing.

sadly there is a huge chunk of the population who loves them -- white nationalists, religious crazies, every Republican (almost), Jews.  

Don't forget, you ain't a real Southerner if you don't love Israel , Jesus, and Toby Keith. 

• Like 1