Israel

SmokeyBear1861

15 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Man that’s the biggest fucking wild ass stretch I’ve ever seen. You’re wrong on like every little aspect of this. 

Come on. I assume you're a Christian, so you should know this.

Where's the loophole for non-believing Jews in scripture? Jesus and his disciples themselves were Jewish and said you had to 1) believe Jesus was the son of god and 2) you had to do good works:

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 4:16 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Romans 10:9 Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Matthew 7:21-27 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.

John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Do you just not believe in hell or the Rapture? Because, from my experience, most Evangelicals do, and most White Nationalists also happen to be Evangelicals.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Come on. I assume you're a Christian, so you should know this.

Where's the loophole for non-believing Jews in scripture? Jesus and his disciples themselves were Jewish and said you had to 1) believe Jesus was the son of god and 2) you had to do good works:

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 4:16 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Romans 10:9 Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Matthew 7:21-27 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.

John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Do you just not believe in hell or the Rapture? Because, from my experience, most Evangelicals do, and most White Nationalists also happen to be Evangelicals.

lol did you just cite all those Bible verses focusing on one small part of Dixon’s post?  I have issues with all of it, including the notion that Christians even think about Jews going to hell, and why we typically support Israel, and that the rapture has anything to do with it. It’s a laughable post. 

Just now, Rex Kramer said:

lol did you just cite all those Bible verses focusing on one small part of Dixon’s post?  I have issues with all of it, including the notion that Christians even think about Jews going to hell, and why we typically support Israel, and that the rapture has anything to do with it. It’s a laughable post. 

There is a sizable segment of fundamentalist Christianity whose support of Israel is based entirely on their eschatology, their doctrine of the last things.

And, according to that eschatology, the existence of Israel, a Jewish state, is essential to the second coming of the Messiah.  And, those same sects do not believe that Jews are saved or have any particular interest in Jews other than the continued existence of the state of Israel, for the foregoing reason.

The post you criticize was limited to White Supremacists and Christian Nationalists, it did not purport to explain anything about Christians more broadly.

• Hook 'Em 3

Rex is really on an impressive run of talking out of his ass in the last few days.

Rex, you know, you could try just googling this shit. There's been a ton of reporting and commentary on this literally for decades.  Here's just one recent article

An “Evangelical Statement in Support of Israel” was signed by about 90 pastors and other leaders last week, including the president of the Southern Baptist Convention, Bart Barber, and the editor in chief of Christianity Today, Russell Moore.

The statement condemned the attacks by Hamas and affirmed “Israel’s right and duty to defend itself against further attack,” citing Christian just-war tradition and a passage from the New Testament book of Romans on governmental authorities as agents of God’s justice.

The intensity of American evangelical attachment to the state of Israel is impossible to disentangle from popular beliefs about the role of the state of Israel in the end times. Books like “The Late Great Planet Earth,” an overheated tour of apocalyptic predictions published in 1970, and the “Left Behind” series of novels reinforced the appeal for many evangelicals of interpreting contemporary global events as the culminations of prophecies recorded in the Bible.

In Plano, Texas, the pastor at Prestonwood Baptist Church, Jack Graham, who advised Mr. Trump when he was in office,

evoked the specter of the end times. “The last days are coming and are here, when you will come again, for your church and for your people,” he prayed.

More than 60 percent of American evangelicals believe humanity is living in the end times, according to a survey last year by the Pew Research Center. (For comparison, 39 percent of American adults overall shared that belief.)

And many evangelicals see Israel as a key setting for those events. Four out of five American evangelicals say that the creation of the modern state of Israel in 1948 and the return there of millions of Jewish people were fulfillments of biblical prophecy, according to a survey conducted in 2017. Almost half of respondents said the Bible is the primary influence of their opinions on Israel.

The survey was conducted by LifeWay Research, which is associated with the Southern Baptist Convention, and it was co-sponsored by an organization that evangelizes to Jewish people.

Joel C. Rosenberg, the survey’s other co-sponsor, was born in the United States but has lived in Israel for almost a decade. He hosts “The Rosenberg Report,” a show broadcast on the conservative evangelical Trinity Broadcasting Network that offers a “biblical perspective” on Middle East news, often with an eye to how news events line up with biblical prophecies.

In an interview, he described American evangelicals’ support for the country as primarily theological, not political.

“God has laid out his love and his special plan for Israel and the Jewish people, starting in Genesis 12 and going right through to the book of Revelation,” he said.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There is a sizable segment of fundamentalist Christianity whose support of Israel is based entirely on their eschatology, their doctrine of the last things.

And, according to that eschatology, the existence of Israel, a Jewish state, is essential to the second coming of the Messiah.  And, those same sects do not believe that Jews are saved or have any particular interest in Jews other than the continued existence of the state of Israel, for the foregoing reason.

The post you criticize was limited to White Supremacists and Christian Nationalists, it did not purport to explain anything about Christians more broadly.

Sizable segment?  I’d like to meet ONE of these people before their compound is stormed. Also, the “sects [that] do not believe that Jews are saved”, I’d like to meet one of these people. You guys are WAY overplaying that reason Christian support for Israel. 

I don’t recall Dixon’s post being limited to nationalists. It appears it was. The last paragraph indicated it was mainstream Christianity. His post cannot be applied broadly to evangelicals. Not even close. 

Edited by Rex Kramer

19 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Rex is really on an impressive run of talking out of his ass in the last few days.

Rex, you know, you could try just googling this shit. There's been a ton of reporting and commentary on this literally for decades.  Here's just one recent article

That is a load of horseshit. First, the article doesn’t tie “end times” directly to too many of these pastors mouths.  Second, I’ve literally never heard any pastor (of probably 6 I’ve seen since 10/7/2023) mention the rapture in association with Israel. I’ve never heard anyone discuss it amongst friends. I don’t know one person that believes we are living in end times. This isn’t mainstream. 

Posted (edited)

The mainstream evangelical support of Israel is theological, but not because of end times stuff. That article is making huge leaps in order to connect the dots to paint a dishonest picture. The theological reason for evangelical support of Israel mostly has to do with supporting “God’s chosen people” and seeking God’s blessing.

The suggestion that it has to do with speeding up end-of-the-world beliefs is mostly nonsense that people on the internet say to feel superior. There are surely those who believe that way, but they are far outside the mainstream, even in conservative evangelical circles. Any suggestions otherwise are simply not truthful.

If the issue is specific to the Christian or white nationalist position, I can’t speak to that since I avoid those types of environments.

Belief that we’re in the end times has probably been the mainstream position (or among the mainstream positions) since the death of Jesus.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

That is a load of horseshit. First, the article doesn’t tie “end times” directly to too many of these pastors mouths.  Second, I’ve literally never heard any pastor (of probably 6 I’ve seen since 10/7/2023) mention the rapture in association with Israel. I’ve never heard anyone discuss it amongst friends. I don’t know one person that believes we are living in end times. This isn’t mainstream. 

You clearly never met my rural Southern Baptist parents or any of their peers. Shit, my mom (RIP) actually suspected Obama was the anti-Christ and thought his election portended the End Times. I even recall something along the lines of "four generations after the re-establishment of Israel" would be when the Rapture was supposed to occur. There are loads of Evangelicals, especially in rural Texas, who believe this stuff.

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

The mainstream evangelical support of Israel is theological, but not because of end times stuff. That article is making huge leaps in order to connect the dots to paint a dishonest picture. The theological reason for evangelical support of Israel mostly has to do with supporting “God’s chosen people” and seeking God’s blessing.

The suggestion that it has to do with speeding up end-of-the-world beliefs is mostly nonsense that people on the internet say to feel superior. There are surely those who believe that way, but they are far outside the mainstream, even in conservative evangelical circles. Any suggestions otherwise are simply not truthful.

If the issue is specific to the Christian or white nationalist position, I can’t speak to that since I avoid those types of environments.

Belief that we’re in the end times has probably been the mainstream position (or among the mainstream positions) since the death of Jesus.

The two statements I've bolded seem directly at odds with each other.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

You need to read up on dispensationalism, and how much of an influence that is in modern evangelical christianity (think "bible churches," not mainline churches).  And the numbers ain't small.  A 2004 poll found that 55% of Christians believe that Christians will be taken up in "The Rapture" (a key element in this warped eschatological belief).  A 2022 poll found that 39% of ALL americans believed we are living in "The end times."

You also probably don't know any/many people who fly MAGA flags and shit....but there are tens of millions of them.  And they have real sway.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The two statements I've bolded seem directly at odds with each other.

I don’t see how they are necessarily related or in opposition. It’s a question of why that’s being missed here. Missing the why leads to connecting dots that simply don’t connect.

Support for Israel is more based in a general support of “God’s chosen people,” which has little to do with end times stuff. There’s a reasonable biblical case to support this view of Israel, assuming you accept the connection between modern Israel and biblical Israel.

The view is that you support Israel because God will bless those who support Israel and curse those who don’t — or something along these lines. The support for Israel isn’t specifically connected to the belief concerning the believed imminent return of Jesus anymore than any other view or belief. This is the case even for the view that somehow the creation of modern Israel checks some end times box in the sky.

The idea that support for Israel is due to some Kirk Cameron-fed desire to bring about the end of the world (let’s help check those boxes) is decidedly not mainstream. I’m come from many years in evangelical environments and have never heard a preacher or believer express dominionist-like views in person. From my experience this is a minor (and certainly problematic) view that is amplified on the internet. It doesn’t reflect mainstream evangelical views, even relatively conservative ones.

Most end times talk centers around the perceived decay of society (I’d say the perception of decay is accurate, but often too outward looking as to why the decay is happening) and of course the general scariness of our modern world — wars and rumors of wars in end times parlance.

Christians have believed in the imminent return of Jesus long before the creation of modern Israel.

• Like 1

Belief that we are in the end times is not a good barometer for belief in the pre-millennial rapture theology you get from Kirk Cameron.  A good amillenial who thinks that Revelation and the thousand years is meant to be taken symbolically would tell you we’re already in “Revalations” and would have absolutely zero to say about the modern state of Israel.

@Mole is right, there are some shrinking circles here down from “evangelical” to “premillennial dispensationlist” to “places end times theology at the core of belief and practice” and finally to “believes we can do something to speed it up or down.”  It’s not fringe, exactly, but it isn’t mainstream by a long shot even among self-identifying Evangelicals. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Sizable segment?  I’d like to meet ONE of these people before their compound is stormed. Also, the “sects [that] do not believe that Jews are saved”, I’d like to meet one of these people. You guys are WAY overplaying that reason Christian support for Israel. 

I don’t recall Dixon’s post being limited to nationalists. It appears it was. The last paragraph indicated it was mainstream Christianity. His post cannot be applied broadly to evangelicals. Not even close. 

We're not talking about "Christian" support for Israel.  Quite the opposite, actually.  We're talking about fundagelical CINOs and their support for Israel.

In a lot of ways, though, this is a theological issue like Arminianism or Calvinism, the trinity, etc.  A bunch of the dolts don't understand any of it, but their pastor tells em they're for Israel, so they are.

And you are dead wrong if you believe that this is an uncommon, fringe belief.  You should familiarize yourself with premillenialism, dispensationalism, and Christian Zionism.  They are not mainstream Protestant beliefs, but then again, what is anymore?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

We're not talking about "Christian" support for Israel.  Quite the opposite, actually.  We're talking about fundagelical CINOs and their support for Israel.

In a lot of ways, though, this is a theological issue like Arminianism or Calvinism, the trinity, etc.  A bunch of the dolts don't understand any of it, but their pastor tells em they're for Israel, so they are.

And you are dead wrong if you believe that this is an uncommon, fringe belief.  You should familiarize yourself with premillenialism, dispensationalism, and Christian Zionism.  They are not mainstream Protestant beliefs, but then again, what is anymore?

I’m Methodist. Heard of all this shit - never seen it live, and I know tons of people, mostly of faith and diverse denominations at that. This is in no way mainstream. I’ve literally heard nobody discuss any of this. 

When Gaza is discussed in church, prayers are offered for the conflict and everyone involved. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’m Methodist. Heard of all this shit - never seen it live, and I know tons of people, mostly of faith and diverse denominations at that. This is in no way mainstream. I’ve literally heard nobody discuss any of this. 

When Gaza is discussed in church, prayers are offered for the conflict and everyone involved. 

Yeah so am I but I know it is a very real thing.  Again, the dolts in the congregation may not know their church's thoughts on it, but their pastors do.

As a Methodist, how often do you discuss "faith without works is dead" and the countervailing philosophies?  Do you have any idea which denominations subscribe to it and which explicitly deny it?

Edited by TwiceHorn

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah so am I but I know it is a very real thing.  Again, the dolts in the congregation may not know their church's thoughts on it, but their pastors do.

As a Methodist, how often do you discuss "faith without works is dead" and the countervailing philosophies?  Do you have any idea which denominations subscribe to it and which explicitly deny it?

Never. Of course. 

Yes, it's a belief that's so fringe one of its leading proponents, John Hagee, was invited to speak at the March for Israel, the largest pro-Israel rally in our nation's history, last November.

Again, no one has said that it is the majority belief among American Christians, only that there are certainly a lot of Evangelicals who believe these things. As I said up above, I've personally known some of these people, two of whom were my own parents. I grew up hearing this stuff all the time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Man you are way out of touch with modern American evangelicalism. And citing your Methodist bonfides proves it. There is very little connection between the Methodist version of Christianity and evangelical version of Baptists, Church of Christ types and Bible church types. 

I grew up in a Bible church, very fundamentalist evangelical. Parents went to Moody Bible Institute. They now go to a Baptist church because that’s where all of their old evangelical friends now go. When I decided to go to a Methodist church as an adult they thought that was the next worst thing to atheism or Catholicism. IMO You will never hear mainstream evangelical thought in the vast majority of Methodist churches. And my parents know that and despise it. 

My very evangelical parents and in-laws very much support Israel both to support Gods chosen ones and for its end times implications. They also very much believe Jews (except Jews for Jesus) are going to hell. And they are very much all in on MAGA and all that stands for as are all of their evangelical friends from Bible churches and Baptist churches. We no longer discuss religion or politics, but I hear enough from this to know this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mole said:

The view is that you support Israel because God will bless those who support Israel and curse those who don’t — or something along these lines.

Here's a pew poll from 2005: https://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2005/04/EvangelicalsIsrael.pdf

Evangelicals @ 63% yes when asked if Israel fulfills biblical prophecy about Jesus' second coming. Granted mainline and catholics are ~20-25%. The black church number in that poll is interesting. 

evangelicals2.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Man you are way out of touch with modern American evangelicalism. And citing your Methodist bonfides proves it. There is very little connection between the Methodist version of Christianity and evangelical version of Baptists, Church of Christ types and Bible church types. 

I grew up in a Bible church, very fundamentalist evangelical. Parents went to Moody Bible Institute. They now go to a Baptist church because that’s where all of their old evangelical friends now go. When I decided to go to a Methodist church as an adult they thought that was the next worst thing to atheism or Catholicism. IMO You will never hear mainstream evangelical thought in the vast majority of Methodist churches. And my parents know that and despise it. 

My very evangelical parents and in-laws very much support Israel both to support Gods chosen ones and for its end times implications. They also very much believe Jews (except Jews for Jesus) are going to hell. And they are very much all in on MAGA and all that stands for as are all of their evangelical friends from Bible churches and Baptist churches. We no longer discuss religion or politics, but I hear enough from this to know this. 

You're from Midland, yes? Well, I grew up in Big Spring, 40 miles to the east. It's a wonder that our Baptist parents have the exact same beliefs. Helluva coincidence. I guess we're just making shit up to confound a Park Cities Methodist boy.

• Haha 4

Rex confuses mainline Protestant denominations with American evangelicalism. It ain’t the same thing. At all. And guess which  version of Christianity dominates US politics thanks to the modern Republican Party’s selling of its soul back in the 80s. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Nobody else is discussing this, sounds false

I never said I hadn’t heard of it and never denied its existence.  I am literally never around it and I’m around people of faith all day every day. 

38 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Rex confuses mainline Protestant denominations with American evangelicalism. It ain’t the same thing. At all. And guess which  version of Christianity dominates US politics thanks to the modern Republican Party’s selling of its soul back in the 80s. 

I don’t confuse the two, but it was never clarified. Methodism is ‘evangelical’ in doctrine. If Ana’s poll is correct there is a massive difference and I really would like to know how they differentiate. I’m UMC. I go to HPUMC. I presume a church like Watermark would be considered ‘evangelical’. Let me know if that is the case. 

This has nothing to do with any sects or variations of one religion. This has to do with losing a war. It sucks. Like losing a job,  you go where the work is. Oh but wait you can't do that because the people hiring you worked with you at the previous job. Oh wait maybe this does have to do with sects and variations of a religion. 

39 minutes ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Christian denomination talk not going away.

Everyone should follow the tenets of Pre-anti-interconnectednessism, a religion I created while masturbating and  doing really strong salvia mixed with weed.

1.  Don’t be such a cunt all the time

2. Be nice to animals and children

3. Put your cart away at the grocery store

mortal sins include putting beans in chili, saying anything critical of Willie Nelson, and using Oxford commas  

oh fuck  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You and Hillary both. How psyched are you that your church repealed its longstanding ban on LGBTQ clergy? I think that’s awesome. Hear any talk about that?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-methodists-lgbtq-clergy-ban-repeal-vote/

Largely indifferent, but happy we are treating historically marginalized groups with respect. I don’t care who I’m getting my message from if you give me a good message and don’t make it about yourself. 

I don’t care who I’m getting my message from if you give me a good message and don’t make it about yourself. 

Imagine pretending thats your mantra and also voting for Trump, lulz.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Imagine pretending thats your mantra and also voting for Trump, lulz.

He’s a self-promotion machine. I’m not quite sure who’s “mantra” that is, but fair to say it’s one of mine. You seem very much to be strongly insinuating something. 

He’s a self-promotion machine. I’m not quite sure who’s “mantra” that is, but fair to say it’s one of mine. You seem very much to be strongly insinuating something. 

I'm insinuating you are full of shit. 

I most certainly am, but not here. Are you saying I’m a Trump voter?

Perhaps I have you confused with Johnny Sack. Its hard to keep all the right wing dipshits straight on this site.

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Perhaps I have you confused with Johnny Sack. Its hard to keep all the right wing dipshits straight on this site.

I wouldn’t vote for Trump if I had AIDS and he had the fucking cure.  I’ve never voted for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Johnny Sack is the racist Trump voter who likes to say the N-word and "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" a lot while pretending he's the only non-racist on the board. He got drunk and a little too openly racist and horrible a little too often and created the new username Frank Drebin in what appeared to be an attempt to be better. But he's posted "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" like four times in the protest threads in DT so that attempt doesn't seem to be going too well.

18 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Johnny Sack is the racist Trump voter who likes to say the N-word and "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" a lot while pretending he's the only non-racist on the board. He got drunk and a little too openly racist and horrible a little too often and created the new username Frank Drebin in what appeared to be an attempt to be better. But he's posted "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" like four times in the protest threads in DT so that attempt doesn't seem to be going too well.

he needs to stop coopting cool characters. he doesn't deserve even the nod those monikers represent

On 5/7/2024 at 2:01 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

he needs to stop coopting cool characters. he doesn't deserve even the nod those monikers represent

Johnny Sack was a stupid mobster so that name fit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Cue the "it's too late, still voting for the guy who wants to nuke Palestine" leftist replies...

Correct call by Biden, IMO.

He had to do something to get Bibi's attention.

Besides, it's only a partial hold that applies to a specific type of bomb. Other arms are still being supplied, so it doesn't place Israel's security in question. It's also not unprecedented. Both Reagan and George H.W. also held back weapons or other aid from Israel at various points to lodge protests against actions in Lebanon and the West Bank.

There's also the legal matter that prohibits the use of U.S. arms exports in war crimes. The State Department delayed releasing its report on Israel's conduct in this war because the deadline was missed. It kind of makes me wonder whether the decision not to send these bombs might also be tied to any internally released preliminary findings.

I heard a snippet on NPR from the BBC where a Likud member was saying that if the US won't send them smart bombs to help them avoid civilian casualties then they'll just use dumb bombs and kill more civilians. Really winning us over with that strategy. Kinda tired of these cunts and glad Biden is taking a stand even though I doubt he's got enough balls to do it long term. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

I've already seen MAGA try to liken what Biden is doing by withholding weapons to Israel to what Trump was impeached for by withholding aid to Ukraine. They claim Biden is doing this to sway the election. Their brains just no longer work. 

• Rage+1 1