[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

You throw the ball, catch the ball and hit the ball.  Pitching, fielding, and hitting, maybe add coaching?  How many dominate pitching performances have we seen?  Not very damn many.  We've seen Porter, Gaspo, Schu, Galvan et. al have had issues with fielding.  WTF?  At this point in their lives, they've certainly seen a baseball or two. We've scored 10 or more runs in 10 games.  I didn't say we won all those.  However, putting up 10 runs, you'd think we can win those. 60 homers and leading the conference it gives ya' hope.  We all know what hope will do for you. If our team is bad, we're bad and know what to expect. This might be a good place to insert Thujone's aggy roller coaster for our baseball team.  Batting slumps, bad luck or coaching?  It just seems our opponents are getting the bigger percentage of the "breaks".  Mr. Magoo will finish the season and most likely get one more.  I'd bet CDC's inbox is starting to see more unhappy email.  Mitch Canham is the guy.

Mitch Canham - Baseball Coach - Oregon State University Athletics (osubeavers.com)

4 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

You throw the ball, catch the ball and hit the ball.  Pitching, fielding, and hitting, maybe add coaching?  How many dominate pitching performances have we seen?  Not very damn many.  We've seen Porter, Gaspo, Schu, Galvan et. al have had issues with fielding.  WTF?  At this point in their lives, they've certainly seen a baseball or two. We've scored 10 or more runs in 10 games.  I didn't say we won all those.  However, putting up 10 runs, you'd think we can win those. 60 homers and leading the conference it gives ya' hope.  We all know what hope will do for you. If our team is bad, we're bad and know what to expect. This might be a good place to insert Thujone's aggy roller coaster for our baseball team.  Batting slumps, bad luck or coaching?  It just seems our opponents are getting the bigger percentage of the "breaks".  Mr. Magoo will finish the season and most likely get one more.  I'd bet CDC's inbox is starting to see more unhappy email.  Mitch Canham is the guy.

Mitch Canham - Baseball Coach - Oregon State University Athletics (osubeavers.com)

*dominant

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would prefer our next coach have coached in a regional at some point in his life, especially if he’s been a head man for 8 seasons.

interview, not hire 

nil and portal have change the game for the top programs. you better identify talent and program fit, it has to be spot on for a one a done transfer. then keep all your guys happy so they don’t hit the portal 

you have to run things like a mlb team - gm, scouts, and coaches. coaches can’t be scouting and coaching 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

interview, not hire 

nil and portal have change the game for the top programs. you better identify talent and program fit, it has to be spot on for a one a done transfer. then keep all your guys happy so they don’t hit the portal 

you have to run things like a mlb team - gm, scouts, and coaches. coaches can’t be scouting and coaching 

Fair. If that’s the case you might as well look at someone like Tulo. In terms of talent acquisition and NIL/portal, good chance he would own that. He’d have to hire really well around him as a first time HC, but out of all the major sports baseball might be the unique in terms of being a first time manager/coach. It can be a very smooth and easy transition for some.

Posted (edited)

Regardless of what happens I just hope CDC keeps in mind the advantage Texas can give themselves by positioning itself as the biggest player in college baseball out west. 

With the PAC 12 dissolving, a lot of these west coast kids are going to be looking for somewhere to go.

It will be interesting to watch and see just how committed Oregon State stays to baseball and what Pat Casey built. 

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Mr Magoo?

image.thumb.jpeg.3265dc76f5cd768790de7b83f514bacc.jpegimage.jpeg.b9b8e6623831c5b97e94f5d6deed905f.jpeg

The difference is that W. C. Fields was a Legend on stage and screen (vaudeville/comedy/acting/juggling), and Pierce will be known as just another example of The Peter Principle.

Pierce was promoted to the level of his incompetence.  Lulz.

I hope CDC pulls the short trigger that Pierce stubbornly will not do with Johnson and his shitty starts.

Not Our Standard.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My top 3 Candidates would be:

Erik Bakich - Clemson
Mitch Canham - Oregon St
Tom Walter - Wake

A couple of guys I'd kick tires on:

Rob Vaughn - Bama
Cliff Godwin - ECU

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the first two mentioned. I'd add O'Sullivan but i don't think he'd leave Florida. 

Posted this in the softball thread -

When the third paid assistant rule passed, Mike White went out and hired a pitching coach in Patty Ruth Taylor.  Even though Mike White himself has built his career on being a pitching coach/head coach, and being one of the best international fastpitch men's pitchers, he ceded the pitching coach role to a new assistant since the NCAA finally gave them that opportunity to hire a third paid coach. 

The result? Texas has an elite pitching staff (#2 ERA in the country) and every returning pitcher looks better than they did last year.  Just held the #1 offense in the country to 7 runs over 3 games (back-to-back games scoring 1 run).  Every pitcher on staff at Texas has raved about having 100% of the pitching coach's time during practices, instead of having White split his time. 

Pierce needs to realize he can't do both.  The third assistant coach should have been a pitching coach so that Pierce can focus on the overall management of the team. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

When the third paid assistant rule passed, Mike White went out and hired a pitching coach in Patty Ruth Taylor.  Even though Mike White himself has built his career on being a pitching coach/head coach, and being one of the best international fastpitch men's pitchers, he ceded the pitching coach role to a new assistant since the NCAA finally gave them that opportunity to hire a third paid coach. 

The result? Texas has an elite pitching staff (#2 ERA in the country) and every returning pitcher looks better than they did last year.  Just held the #1 offense in the country to 7 runs over 3 games (back-to-back games scoring 1 run).  Every pitcher on staff at Texas has raved about having 100% of the pitching coach's time during practices, instead of having White split his time. 

Pierce needs to realize he can't do both.  The third assistant coach should have been a pitching coach so that Pierce can focus on the overall management of the team. 

Maybe because Mike White is a good person to work for that will allow Patty Ruth Taylor to make decisions and coach as she sees fit instead of my way or the highway dickheadedness of David Pierce? 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Maybe because Mike White is a good person to work for that will allow Patty Ruth Taylor to make decisions and coach as she sees fit instead of my way or the highway dickheadedness of David Pierce? 

tv land GIF by YoungerTV

On 4/8/2024 at 7:16 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

My top 3 Candidates would be:

Erik Bakich - Clemson
Mitch Canham - Oregon St
Tom Walter - Wake

A couple of guys I'd kick tires on:

Rob Vaughn - Bama
Cliff Godwin - ECU

Listen, what in the fuck are you doing listing guys that haven't won a national title? And none of them have a tie to the longhorn program? How dare you, sir?

If Texas doesn't hire ... Skip fucking Johnson, or moneywhip Kevin O'Sullivan or Tim Corbin then they are by gawd fucking this thing up.

Also, David Pierce has taken Texas to 3 CWS and barely missed a 4th. All Texas has to do is win the rest of their series and the Big 12 tournament and they're into the NCAA tournament, hopefully with a 2 seed in the College Station regional. This discussion is ludicrous and you know nothing about baseball.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All Texas has to do is win the rest of their series and the Big 12 tournament and they're into the NCAA tournament, hopefully with a 2 seed in the College Station regional. This discussion is ludicrous and you know nothing about baseball.

spacer.png

On 4/7/2024 at 1:27 AM, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Fire this needledick midget yesterday. 
side note- please stop hiring G5 coaches in major men’s sports kthxbai 

Uninspired effort tonight... this team has no energy. Just going thru the motions.

Pierce has no clue how to fix this shitshow.  Not sure the players have much respect for him anymore...

On 4/9/2024 at 1:11 PM, closetojumping said:

Also, David Pierce has taken Texas to 3 CWS and barely missed a 4th. All Texas has to do is win the rest of their series and the Big 12 tournament and they're into the NCAA tournament, hopefully with a 2 seed in the College Station regional. This discussion is ludicrous and you know nothing about baseball.

Being happy with a 2 seed at a regional anywhere is ludicrous, let alone sheephumpingville.  And stupid.

This is TEXAS.  The bastion of college baseball.  Hosting should be our birth right dammit.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, landman said:

Being happy with a 2 seed at a regional anywhere is ludicrous, let alone sheephumpingville.  And stupid.

This is TEXAS.  The bastion of college baseball.  Hosting should be our birth right dammit.

You’ve got an amazing sense of the posting world on Surly and a stunning grasp of the literal. Good work. 

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2024 at 12:40 PM, Js1 said:

Maybe he will give that a try at his next job.

11 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I don't think CDC will fire him after this year because of precedent, but I think the last week or so just shortened his leash by a season. 

What precedent?

28 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Maybe he will give that a try at his next job.

What precedent?

His postseason "success" in the last immediate years. That's the only thing saving him from cdc right now. 

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

His postseason "success" in the last immediate years. That's the only thing saving him from cdc right now. 

I don't think that qualifies as a precedent.

Regardless, I think barring a significant turnaround that gets us to Omaha (or damn close), he's gone.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

I don't think that qualifies as a precedent.

Regardless, I think barring a significant turnaround that gets us to Omaha (or damn close), he's gone.

I'm only saying that it might qualify in cdc'd eyes. I'm pretty fucking out on the guy right now

• Rage+1 1

On 4/10/2024 at 10:28 PM, LTtxfan said:

Uninspired effort tonight... this team has no energy. Just going thru the motions.

Pierce has no clue how to fix this shitshow.  Not sure the players have much respect for him anymore...

giphy.gif

Same shit performance as Wednesday night

Especially with the pending move to the SEC. CDC isn’t taking a lame duck coach into the SEC just to let him go after the first year. I could definitely see Pierce out after this season. CDC didn’t hire him and he’s been here 8 years. Plenty of reasons why Pierce might get fired. 

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

2021- Couldve won it all, great year

2022- Pretty underwhelming run considering what we returned and we were very close to getting eliminated by ECU in the supers (and got eliminated by aggy)

2023- Gutty performances to get to a game 3 in the supers, but really were overmatched against Stanford when you remember that Game 1 was a massive fucking chokejob from Stanford or it wouldve been a 2 game series

2024- Dogshit

His trajectory is down and it is clear. I too am concerned that CDC will give him one more year. 

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Trust me, I'm with you guys. He's not gonna turn it around, and it will only get worse in the SEC. I just don't see cdc firing him after this year. 

This is plenty rational. Nevertheless, I hope you’re wrong. 

23 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Trust me, I'm with you guys. He's not gonna turn it around, and it will only get worse in the SEC. I just don't see cdc firing him after this year. 

And aggy having the most legit shot at a national title in school history will also turn up the heat 

On 4/12/2024 at 10:15 PM, NorthLoop said:

I disagree. 

I think he's gone barring a big run into the tournament.

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here