[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

8 hours ago, chase25 said:

You are the only one coping, by trying to see into things that aren’t there. I’m just telling you like it is. We are an average baseball team. We showed that over 56 games this regular season. Nobody putting together a 64 team field this year is looking to punish us over a shitty conference tournament. We will likely get punished over the 8 Q4 losses 

Yeah... avg is ridiculous for Horns Baseball

Pierce needs to go asap

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

If we were a lock to host a regional I wouldn’t care but we’re an inconsistent team that needed to string together multiple wins for confidence. Blowing off going 0-2 like this is a team locked in for the “real tournament” is dumb af. This isn’t a good team and I’d be shocked if they even win a game in the regional. Pierce sucks dick and needs to go. Let’s hope they’ve already made that decision and are actively putting together the replacement list behind closed doors.

• Hook 'Em 7

36 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If we were a lock to host a regional I wouldn’t care but we’re an inconsistent team that needed to string together multiple wins for confidence. Blowing off going 0-2 like this is a team locked in for the “real tournament” is dumb af. This isn’t a good team and I’d be shocked if they even win a game in the regional. Pierce sucks dick and needs to go. Let’s hope they’ve already made that decision and are actively putting together the replacement list behind closed doors.

I actually kind of agree. A top 8 type team doesn’t have to give fuck all about the conf tournament. That’s not us. Shit, using this tournament for a little momentum into the postseason would be nice. Now we are scuffling 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The entire SEC 1-4 seeds just lost to their first round opponents. Shit happens. Focus on next week. 

It's amazing that teams that have their backs to the wall beat teams that think they are fine to get in already.

LSU and Stanford are both playing like they are not going to make the NCAA tournament and are playing to win their respective conference tournaments.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I actually kind of agree. A top 8 type team doesn’t have to give fuck all about the conf tournament. That’s not us. Shit, using this tournament for a little momentum into the postseason would be nice. Now we are scuffling 

Yea a couple of wins would have been nice and not act like we’re some Omaha contender resting up arms. Some of this fanbase can’t be realistic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

For teams that are going to make the tournament, the conference tournaments are usually pointless, especially for the shoe in top eight teams like some I’ve already pointed out. The rest have to fight human nature and not come out flat against the bottom feeders of the conference that are fighting for their lives. The SEC tournament in my opinion sways a bit differently than other conferences just because how the committee and overall country views the quality of teams. The committee seeing a struggling LSU or Vanderbilt do good in the SEC tournament will move the needle for those teams more than it would a Texas team with 8 Q4 losses and in a conference that is severely down. At a minimum, I would have liked to see this team get one or two wins for confidence. Even if it’s not going to change the committees viewpoint on our destination, this team needs all the wins and momentum they can get going into the tournament.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Levi said:

For teams that are going to make the tournament, the conference tournaments are usually pointless, especially for the shoe in top eight teams like some I’ve already pointed out. The rest have to fight human nature and not come out flat against the bottom feeders of the conference that are fighting for their lives. The SEC tournament in my opinion sways a bit differently than other conferences just because how the committee and overall country views the quality of teams. The committee seeing a struggling LSU or Vanderbilt do good in the SEC tournament will move the needle for those teams more than it would a Texas team with 8 Q4 losses and in a conference that is severely down. At a minimum, I would have liked to see this team get one or two wins for confidence. Even if it’s not going to change the committees viewpoint on our destination, this team needs all the wins and momentum they can get going into the tournament.

They also mentioned on the broadcast yesterday that the big thing is ensuring you are a 2 over a 3, because if you are a 2, and you win your regional and your partner regional is also an upset, you have a chance to host a super (and all things being even, Texas would probably get a super bid over the other 2 just base on facilities, weather, etc.). 

But if you're a 3 and win your regional and your partner regional is upset and won by the 2, the 2 is going to get first dibs to host the super over you. 

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They also mentioned on the broadcast yesterday that the big thing is ensuring you are a 2 over a 3, because if you are a 2, and you win your regional and your partner regional is also an upset, you have a chance to host a super (and all things being even, Texas would probably get a super bid over the other 2 just base on facilities, weather, etc.). 

But if you're a 3 and win your regional and your partner regional is upset and won by the 2, the 2 is going to get first dibs to host the super over you. 

I agree that can play a role for some teams, but I think Texas didn’t have to worry about getting pushed to a 3 seed. I will be pretty shocked if the committee puts us at 3 seed. 

Just now, Levi said:

I agree that can play a role for some teams, but I think Texas didn’t have to worry about getting pushed to a 3 seed. I will be pretty shocked if the committee puts us at 3 seed. 

"Happy to be there, results don't matter" - Texas baseball 2024

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Levi said:

They never go straight RPI to seed, but we are much more inside a 3 territory for RPI than a 2.  Just saying - RPI 44.  A 2 seed would be in the RPI range of 17-32 or so. 

Being a 3 wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world, though I do expect to be a 2.  But with an RPI of 44, the committee can play games to put us where they want as 2 or 3. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The fact that this discussion is even happening - and is being mirrored in other places -  is all CDC and whatever other deciders are involved need to know. Cut him loose, as soon as the fork is in the season.

The real, actually meaningful, discussion is who do we want as his replacement?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas isn't and wasn't in a position to just say aw shucks it's okay if we don't do well at the tournament. Anyone who disagrees is a fucking loser ass bitch.

Do you think that anyone was advocating that we lose and lay down? No. People are just saying, that in the big picture, this was relatively meaningless. The results next week are what matter. And we can go back and forth on whether or not the performance over the last two days are a harbinger for the regional, but ultimately, some teams look hot in their tourneys and flame out when it counts, and some look like shit and bounce back and get to Omaha.  My prediction: Texas goes 2-2 in the regional and fails to advance. 

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

"Happy to be there, results don't matter" - Texas baseball 2024

Your reading comprehension is ass. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They never go straight RPI to seed, but we are much more inside a 3 territory for RPI than a 2.  Just saying - RPI 44.  A 2 seed would be in the RPI range of 17-32 or so. 

Being a 3 wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world, though I do expect to be a 2.  But with an RPI of 44, the committee can play games to put us where they want as 2 or 3. 

Yep, straight RPI would definitely give me pause but winning six out of seven conference series’ and finishing where we did in the standings should enough for a two seed. I still believe we finished second, not third in the conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Do you think that anyone was advocating that we lose and lay down? No. People are just saying, that in the big picture, this was relatively meaningless. The results next week are what matter. And we can go back and forth on whether or not the performance over the last two days are a harbinger for the regional, but ultimately, some teams look hot in their tourneys and flame out when it counts, and some look like shit and bounce back and get to Omaha.  My prediction: Texas goes 2-2 in the regional and fails to advance. 

lol yeah, that's the problem, it wasn't meaningless. It's meaningless if our team is a top seed and hosting.....sure. 

But it's not when we have been inconsistent and average all season. But hey what can you do vs powerhouse *checks notes* Cincy and Tech 

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Dude I don't give a goddamn what you think anything means. I want Texas Baseball to be about excellence and winning championships, not losing in humiliating fashion to shitty programs like Tech and Cincinnati.

But hey, whatever, win a Regional and all is forgiven.  But color me skeptical we are going to do much better than go 1-2. But we'll see.

What exactly was humiliating about those losses?

I will never understand this mentality of referencing being embarrassed or humiliated. 

• Haha 1

You weren't embarrassed when Texas football lost to Kansas?

No.

Far more likely to be pissed.  Can’t recall a single time I’ve been embarrassed but been ticked many times.  And probably should have been more embarrassed about my behavior than team performance.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

No.

Far more likely to be pissed.  Can’t recall a single time I’ve been embarrassed but been ticked many times.  And probably should have been more embarrassed about my behavior than team performance.

Your anger is rooted in embarrassment though 

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Your anger is rooted in embarrassment though 

Interesting.  That is not how I view it but ok.  People process things differently.  In 1997, I woulda had to be real disciplined to not take out my “embarrassment” on Mackovic when we lost to Baylor.  Luckily he was behind a locked gate.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

No.

I was at Texas/OU 2012. Considering what had happened the prior year, that was fucking embarrassing. Blake Bell had four fucking touchdowns. Four!

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

No.

Lol.  Sounds like me.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You weren't embarrassed when Texas football lost to Kansas?

Embarrassed? Because a team I support lost a game?

If that made you feel embarrassed I'd suggest you need to get a different perspective on what's important in life and what's tangential to that.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Look, I am no fan of David Pierce and think we are better off with a new hire. But it is insanely laughable to see all you jagoffs losing your mind over the fucking big 12 conference tournament like it really means anything. We are one week away from a sink or swim test for this team and you all are on here clamoring for DP to be fired because we flamed out in a meaningless tourney? Just wait a fucking week and let's see how things play out when the rubber meets the road in the regionals. Chill the fuck out.  

It's not just the Rig 12 tourney some of us Jagoffs have lost our minds over.  It's losing to the likes of UTRGV in an embarrassing fashion  and other stuff during the balance of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, D3zii said:

DP has Texas fans thinking this is ok “cause it doesn’t matter” yall are really starting to start like FAggy Fans 

any way 

I have faith CDC will make the right hire!!! He hasn’t shown us otherwise 

And if he makes no change at all, do you still have faith?

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

And if he makes no change at all, do you still have faith?

The only coach he hasn't fired yet that has given me pause is Angela Kelly, but it sounds like that's some internal BS with Plonsky and her last grasp of power.   

Beard, Sark, Schaefer, White, Floreal, Bowman, Joffe, Berque (promotion from interim, but has proved it by finish at national champion, Final Four, Sweet 16, runner up).  RT is still TBD. 

2017 - Big 12 Tour Runner-up, Regional

2018 - Big 12 Champ, Host, CWS

2019 - Dead last in Big 12

2020 - 14-3, Covid 

2021 - Big 12 Champ, Host, CWS, 3rd Place

2022 - Big 12 Tour Runner-up, Host, CWS

2023 - Big 12 Champ, Super Regional

2024 - Big 12 Runner-up,  

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Balcones said:

2020 - 14-3, Covid 

2024 - Big 12 Runner-up,  

Do you think Pierce can win a championship at Texas? Is just making it to the CWS the standard now? 

2022: 7-3 L to ND in CWS, 10-2 L to A&M, congrats on getting shit on but hey that's the new Texas standard, "At least we made it"

2023: huehuehue Stanford lights WHAT IF

Also 2024 - Big 12 3rd Place in a very bad year for big 12.

Since NIL/Transfer portal we have regressed every year. If you can't see that you're dumb as fuck.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do you think Pierce can win a championship at Texas? Is just making it to the CWS the standard now? 

2022: 7-3 L to ND in CWS, 10-2 L to A&M, congrats on getting shit on but hey that's the new Texas standard, "At least we made it"

2023: huehuehue Stanford lights WHAT IF

Also 2024 - Big 12 3rd Place in a very bad year for big 12.

Since NIL/Transfer portal we have regressed every year. If you can't see that you're dumb as fuck.

I’m not sure why would should think he can’t win a championship here. We were Bednar away from winning one a couple years ago. Do you think it’s impossible that he gets there again? And if so, why?

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not sure why would should think he can’t win a championship here. We were Bednar away from winning one a couple years ago. Do you think it’s impossible that he gets there again? And if so, why?

He's had 8 years to prove it already and hasn't done it but some of yall can continue to play the almost made it card all you want. 

Yes I think it's impossible that he will win a championship at Texas because he doesn't recruit in the portal well and he doesn't use NIL effectively enough to get what's needed to take the next steps. He's a hard coach to work for and will struggle to bring in a great staff to put around him to cover up his deficiencies as a coach. If he was in his 4th year I'd say give him more time but 8 years in, he's peaked my guy. We are currently plateauing and we will regress next year with him due to moving to a much better baseball conference than the big 12, see his record vs SEC.

He's had 8 years to prove it already and hasn't done it but some of yall can continue to play the almost made it card all you want. 

Yes I think it's impossible that he will win a championship at Texas because he doesn't recruit in the portal well and he doesn't use NIL effectively enough to get what's needed to take the next steps. He's a hard coach to work for and will struggle to bring in a great staff to put around him to cover up his deficiencies as a coach. If he was in his 4th year I'd say give him more time but 8 years in, he's peaked my guy. We are currently plateauing and we will regress next year with him due to moving to a much better baseball conference than the big 12, see his record vs SEC.

Our high school recruiting has been pretty good in recent years, and really our portal recruiting was pretty good this year, injuries derailed that.

Gordon, Tulo, Longley is a really strong group of assistants.

This was always going to be our youngest team in quite some time and anyone who expected it to be as good as last year or the year before is just not watching.

I’m just not sure that I buy it that he can’t win one. You get there half the time, at some point you’ll get a look at the title. 

Who are all these coaches that are winning titles every year? Which Texas coaches have ever done that?

49 minutes ago, Balcones said:

2020 - 14-3, Covid 

2024 - Big 12 Runner-up,  

I agree that he seems to have worn out his welcome.  But with that record, he ain't getting fired this year.  I hope I'm wrong, but not holding my breath.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Our high school recruiting has been pretty good in recent years, and really our portal recruiting was pretty good this year, injuries derailed that.

This was always going to be our youngest team in quite some time and anyone who expected it to be as good as last year or the year before is just not watching.

I’m just not sure that I buy it that he can’t win one. You get there half the time, at some point you’ll get a look at the title. 

Who are all these coaches that are winning titles every year? Which Texas coaches have ever done that?

He's frustrating to me because multiple times in his tenure we've lost a key piece due to injury with seemingly no reserve which derails our season.   McCann at catcher (2019) was the most frustrating to me.  I don' know how he is going to compete in the SEC which can only get harder.  Unless we are not scheduling the right mid-week scrubs pre-conference. 

Having said that, I like the man and think he is fine as our coach.  Other than replacing him with a coach who has actually won a national championship or three, the next coach at Texas will not have his record.  Or to put another way, if David Pierce were coaching at Alabama with his Texas record you'd all be screaming for him to be here.

This gets incredibly tiresome to read.

Edited by petscii
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So were you against firing Tom Herman after going 9-3, with a Big 12 title appearance, and a NY6 bowl win? 

There have been a handful of coaches names posted in this thread that others, including myself, think can do better than Pierce. You can go back and find those list. But nah, we should keep status quo on a guy who has had 8 years to prove it. If he hasn't done it in 8, he's not going to do it....

Like I said we've plateaued in the portal/NIL era under Pierce and we most certainly will regress moving to the SEC with him. 

27 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Every game 1 starter in Omaha has punked Pierce lineups. Nothing special about 2021. And if hypothetically MSU didn’t have Bednar, we were going to walk past Leiter and Rocker?

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So were you against firing Tom Herman after going 9-3, with a Big 12 title appearance, and a NY6 bowl win? 

There have been a handful of coaches names posted in this thread that others, including myself, think can do better than Pierce. You can go back and find those list. But nah, we should keep status quo on a guy who has had 8 years to prove it. If he hasn't done it in 8, he's not going to do it....

Like I said we've plateaued in the portal/NIL era under Pierce and we most certainly will regress moving to the SEC with him. 

I don’t find football and baseball even remotely similar so I don’t think that matters. But also, Tom didn’t make three BCS games in 6 years.

I’ve seen the names that you and others have posted. Some seem like they would work, some seem absolutely moronic. None have the accomplishments DP has. Doesn’t mean they couldn’t do better here though. 
It’s strange to act like 8 years with no title is some crazy amount of time. This ain’t exactly the first time we’ve had an 8 year gap in titles. And it’s not 1975 anymore. The overall talent is much more diverse across schools than ever before.

DP needs to win a title and I personally wouldn’t really care if we fire him. It’s just beyond tired seeing this same shit everytime we lose a game with no real reasons other than “hasn’t won a title”.

You say we’ve plateaued? According to who? By what metric? Your feelings?

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Every game 1 starter in Omaha has punked Pierce lineups. Nothing special about 2021. And if hypothetically MSU didn’t have Bednar, we were going to walk past Leiter and Rocker?

Crazy that game 1 starters in Omaha punk teams. Thats quite the revelation. Our game 1 starter punked them pretty hard too. We lost 2-1 lol.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I would’ve liked the chance. Our pitching staff were letting their nuts hang all postseason while Ivan finally figured out elite pitching. The top of the order at the time was coming out hot, often getting us 2-3 runs in the first 2 or 3 frames putting the pressure on the opponent.Pretty sure Hansen would’ve started game one with Witt ready to go then Madden game 2. Who knows. 

Now what’s really pissed me off is that should’ve been the start of an 02-09 type run. But here we are 3 years later with a frustrating but fun, scrappy team. Injury luck has of course sucked but god damn 

15 minutes ago, petscii said:

He's frustrating to me because multiple times in his tenure we've lost a key piece due to injury with seemingly no reserve which derails our season.   McCann at catcher (2019) was the most frustrating to me.  I don' know how he is going to compete in the SEC which can only get harder.  Unless we are not scheduling the right scrubs pre-conference. 

Having said that, I like the man and think he is fine as our coach.  Other than replacing him with a coach who has actually won a national championship or three, the next coach at Texas will not have his record.  Or to put another way, if David Pierce were coaching at Alabama with his Texas record you'd all be screaming for him to be here.

This gets incredibly tiresome to read.

On your second paragraph, one of the only national championship coaches that we could money whip, continually churns out good rosters, and is relatively young is O’Connor from Virginia. O’Sullivan at Florida is around the same age but he’s a bit of a roller coaster. Wouldn’t be overly disappointed tho. Non national title coaches would be a guy like Bakich Clemson. Not really down for Walter at Wake. If we want to go young but proven, then Mingione at Kentucky or Canham at Oregon st would be my picks for that category. Like you said, you’re just not gonna get a non championship coach with the same résumé as Pierce so you’re banking on CDC vetting good enough that the new guy can produce better results in the same time period. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

On your second paragraph, one of the only national championship coaches that we could money whip, continually churns out good rosters, and is relatively young is O’Connor from Virginia. O’Sullivan at Florida is around the same age but he’s a bit of a roller coaster. Wouldn’t be overly disappointed tho. Non national title coaches would be a guy like Bakich Clemson. Not really down for Walter at Wake. If we want to go young but proven, then Mingione at Kentucky or Canham at Oregon st would be my picks for that category. Like you said, you’re just not gonna get a non championship coach with the same résumé as Pierce so you’re banking on CDC vetting good enough that the new guy can produce better results in the same time period. 

Bakich seems like he would be the guy imo. I dunno if we will make a move or not but if we do and we end up with someone like Canham or Walter I would be pretty disappointed. There’s not an Augie out there obviously but if we are making a move, they need to at least have some skins on the wall.

• Hook 'Em 1