New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Having a cruise terminal in your city pretty much screws up the culture.

New Orleans is special, but waiting in long line at cafe du monde, and having long line stare at you while you eat, just makes it feel a little cafeteria-ish.

Get in the herd, stand in line, get your little taste of _________, and then get on/off the ship.  Oh, and don't forget your Marriott points - you can use those to buy a Big Captain platter at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. next time you travel with us.

I mean this in the nicest way possible; what the fuck are you talking about?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, unless the weather is great and I want to stroll around Jackson Square with a beer or two for an hour, or I’m having dinner at a nice restaurant that doesn’t have a frozen hurricane machine at the bar, I pretty much avoid the French Quarter when I’m in New Orleans.

I like to venture out of the Quarter plenty.  But staying at The Monteleone, pre-dinner drinks at Carousel bar and a lunch or at least mid-afternoon snack at Felix's are a New Orleans staple for us I don't ever plan to change.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Having a cruise terminal in your city pretty much screws up the culture.
New Orleans is special, but waiting in long line at cafe du monde, and having long line stare at you while you eat, just makes it feel a little cafeteria-ish.
Get in the herd, stand in line, get your little taste of _________, and then get on/off the ship.  Oh, and don't forget your Marriott points - you can use those to buy a Big Captain platter at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. next time you travel with us.

If you’re waiting in a line at Cafe du Monde you’re doing it wrong. Cruise lines or not. That’s on you. The fact that this is your criticism of the city tells me all I need to know about your opinions.

There are a shit ton of really great restaurants in the Quarter.  You shouldn't avoid it.  I wouldn't stroll around it after about midnight though.  There are other places that have identical beignets to Cafe Du Monde.  I would never wait in that line.  Cafe Beignet has a couple of locations and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 1/4/2024 at 6:44 AM, kevwun said:

There are other places that have identical beignets to Cafe Du Monde.  I would never wait in that line.  Cafe Beignet has a couple of locations and you won't be able to tell the difference.

I-dentical!  Yep, Cafe Beignet is pretty close in my experience, which was a while back.  But if the lines are short enough, Du Monde is still a fun experience for first-timers.

image.png.1717e618086b3900a7a056e496d890bd.png

Edited by Carl Spackler

We had a blast last week for the game.  Wife and daughter are celiac, so eating out is a struggle.  We were wary of NoLa but it delivered.  

Did Twisted Waffle and Bearcat for breakfast. Both were great.  Bearcat has a better menu, worse service.  

Dinners at GW Fins (delivered); Deanie’s (gf fried food and fryer for the win) and found this little interior Mexican restaurant in CBD whose name I can’t recall that was excellent.  

Bon in Jackson Sq (near Landry) had gluten free “beignets” which were pretty solid and they made the best to go hurricane I can remember.  

So for those Celiacs out there I give it a thumbs up!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m taking my mom + adult siblings next month for a weekend excursion. Friday to Sunday. Staying in the Garden District. 

All I have booked so far is GW Fins for dinner Friday night and Commanders for Jazz Brunch Saturday. 

I need a Saturday dinner for sure, maybe a Sunday breakfast (my flight out is at noon). 

Might just take everyone to Parkway Tavern for an early dinner Saturday. 

One on my bucket list is Gris Gris. We went for the game and I wanted to go but just couldn’t make it happen. So many great places and we are typically only there 3-4 days when we go. I can go there once a month and still wish I was there more often. 

56 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

One on my bucket list is Gris Gris. We went for the game and I wanted to go but just couldn’t make it happen. So many great places and we are typically only there 3-4 days when we go. I can go there once a month and still wish I was there more often. 

Went to Gris Gris for New Year’s Eve. It was ok. Service was lacking. And by that I mean they forgot half of my party of 4’s entrees. And didn’t realize it until we told them. 

I’ll cut them some slack because it was NYE and I know the kitchen was chaos, but god damn man. You can plainly see two of the four of us don’t have food. 

Anyway, my swordfish came out piping hot because they had to cook it on the fly and it was good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hornian said:

I’m taking my mom + adult siblings next month for a weekend excursion. Friday to Sunday. Staying in the Garden District. 

All I have booked so far is GW Fins for dinner Friday night and Commanders for Jazz Brunch Saturday. 

I need a Saturday dinner for sure, maybe a Sunday breakfast (my flight out is at noon). 

Might just take everyone to Parkway Tavern for an early dinner Saturday. 

Check out Atchafalaya. Small place with a southern vibe. Service, atmosphere, and food were top notch. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Check out Atchafalaya. Small place with a southern vibe. Service, atmosphere, and food were top notch. 

I went ahead and booked Sunday brunch there. It was on the list, and they open at 9:30. I'm flying out at noon, but the rest of my family is driving so I can just grab an uber to the airport if needed straight from the restaurant. 

Was going to try to get my 70+ year old mom to agree to go to Willie Mae's - but they are closed "temporarily". That's concerning. 

18 minutes ago, hornian said:

Was going to try to get my 70+ year old mom to agree to go to Willie Mae's - but they are closed "temporarily". That's concerning. 

Damaged by a bad fire last spring. You can go to Lil Dizzy’s if you want something up that alley. 

40 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Damaged by a bad fire last spring. You can go to Lil Dizzy’s if you want something up that alley. 

Any insight into why they haven't reopened? It's been almost a year since the fire. Are there signs of activity in terms of repairing the damage?

45 minutes ago, royiv said:

Any insight into why they haven't reopened? It's been almost a year since the fire. Are there signs of activity in terms of repairing the damage?

I know they were planning on doing a full renovation and plans weren’t approved until a few months ago. I saw in the paper they were aiming for spring. Also, the family opened an outpost in LA in 2022. No clue what the arrangement is there, but presumably it’s helping keeping them afloat. 

4 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

I know they were planning on doing a full renovation and plans weren’t approved until a few months ago. I saw in the paper they were aiming for spring. Also, the family opened an outpost in LA in 2022. No clue what the arrangement is there, but presumably it’s helping keeping them afloat. 

It was quite a few years ago when I think we went to it, but didn't Willie Mae's have an Uptown location too?  Assume it's not still there.

Edited by hobbs

41 minutes ago, hobbs said:

It was quite a few years ago when I think we went to it, but didn't Willie Mae's have an Uptown location too?  Assume it's not still there.

Oh wow, totally forgot about that one. That spot on St Charles is a dead zone. 

5 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

You guys had me intrigued with the Brin Rose Frozen Irish Coffee.  Found this recipe and the interwebs and have made a couple of batches.  Excellent.

https://craftandcocktails.co/2020/03/17/frozen-irish-coffee/

Just need to order some black plastic cups from Brin Rose for a future party.

B is nowhere near E on the keyboard.  Who is this Brin you speak of?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:08 PM, PantsTent said:

I was ready to come home too but mostly because I was battling through some kind of cold/flu shit the whole time. Did manage a little Brennan’s on the way out this afternoon.

61fa3f2390c7388a69482cdc67bb56bb.jpg

What’s the fried protein under the egg?

On 1/24/2024 at 9:30 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Their shrimp and grits is probably my wife's favorite dish on Earth.  The fried oyster salad and gumbo I got last time there were really good.  And they make a damn good burger.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:30 PM, Biff Tannen said:

They have a duck confit hash that I recall is damn good, and I always love a Bloody Mary bar if they still do that. My last visit there was summer of 2021.

14 hours ago, South Austin said:

They have a duck confit hash that I recall is damn good, and I always love a Bloody Mary bar if they still do that. My last visit there was summer of 2021.

I'm the opposite, I hate Bloody Mary bars, because I always get the ratios messed up. I'd rather have a bartender who knows what he/she is doing make it right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Can't beleive the kitchen sent that out with a bite already taken out of one of the shrimp. 

Yeah, I got a little excited when I saw it and couldn’t wait. Here is the gumbo that proceeded.

IMG_1142.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Got a Saturday free before a Sun-Tues conference in NO. Thinking of booking Saturday night at St. Charles Inn and just riding the streetcar down St. Charles early on Saturday to eat and explore and see something other than DT/Bourbon. Never been outside of Bourbon (and unfortunately the Superdome this new year) in my 2 previous trips. Got a lot of pages to sift through here so if any recommendations, lmk. Also considering Marigny/Frenchmen st., that also seems up my alley.

Edited by BurdineBandit

3 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Got a Saturday free before a Sun-Tues conference in NO. Thinking of booking Saturday night at St. Charles Inn and just riding the streetcar down St. Charles early on Saturday to eat and explore and see something other than DT/Bourbon. Never been outside of that area in my 2 previous trips. Got a lot of pages to sift through here so if any recommendations, lmk. 

Definitely recommend Frenchmen street in the evening. It's epic. These are some of my favorite places to eat in NO (I usually go 4-5 times a year). 

Cochon Butcher, Copper Vine, Peche, Dakar (newish), Doris Metropolitan, and Herbsaint. 

Headed back in a few weeks myself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...