June 25, 1997 705.11

Feb. 9, 1992 704.68

July 6, 2007 701.51

Nov. 25, 2004 696.70

July 7, 2002 693.50

June 14, 1987 693.48

June 16, 2016 692.69

Oct. 7, 1959

Got to 693 in summer of '16?    Me must have blacked out around that time. 

22 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Got to 693 in summer of '16?    Me must have blacked out around that time. 

I remember. I was married at a spot overlooking the lake in May '15. Water was about 1/4 mile away from the spot I was standing. Went back in June 2016 and took a pic at the same spot - water was about 10 feet from where I was standing. 

It is crazy how fast the lake has caught water - 2 weeks ago my wife and I drove out to our lake house and remarked how green and lush the grass on the sometimes islands were. 

Last week, I went out and remarked how much smaller the sometimes islands looks, as the water had come up about 5-10 feet.

Yesterday, there were still one or two sometimes islands (I think, I wasn't out there but I'm pretty sure the tallest are out of the water if the level is under 670'ish), and today they are under water completely. 

September primed the pump, and October has just been run off from fully saturated ground. 

1 minute ago, hornian said:

I remember. I was married at a spot overlooking the lake in May '15. Water was about 1/4 mile away from the spot I was standing. Went back in June 2016 and took a pic at the same spot - water was about 10 feet from where I was standing. 

Hippy Hollow is a wonderful spot for a union 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

7123b99cd5a3b5cf0c5278fdd4bbdae2.jpg

anybody else see that stupid fucker driving a runabout/wake boat toward the llano river before daylight at the 1431 bridge in kingsland? the newscast caught the fucker driving by and said.. "oh look, law enforcement is out patrolling this morning.. oh wait... that is just some dickhead!"

sumbitch went under the 1431 bridge going south. he barely fit.. a little later the water was about 2-3' from the bottom of the bridge. wonder where he went. i dont see getting to a ramp going that way.  what in the fuck?

cant find a video.

guess he was just trolling? .

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Why are they releasing from buchanan? They have what would seem to be a lot of capacity left there, with most of the rain running right to LBJ, and travis already at full. 

Because it is 8 inches from full (1018').  Gotta be prepared for potential future heavy rain in the basin later this week:

https://floodstatus.lcra.org/

Flood operations at Buchanan Dam will start tonight or early tomorrow.  Take action to protect people and property.  Flood operations will start after the peak of the Llano River flood begins to pass Wirtz Dam.  This is anticipated to occur overnight on Oct. 16-17.  However, the start of gate operations will be determined based on actual conditions downstream on lakes LBJ and Marble Falls.  Lake Buchanan is forecast to rise to 1,018 to 1,020 feet msl and then be gradually drawn by flood releases to 1,018 feet msl over the following day or two.

Edited by clapclapclap

18 minutes ago, JimmyGlass said:

At the lowest point in 2012 Travis held about 340,000 acre feet.  Since midnight the volume in Travis has increased  by about 310,000 acre feet.  

Of course that isn't counting the volume released from Mansfield since midnight. 

Crazy numbers. One acre-foot of water is 43,460 cubic feet of water.  Today, the Llano River is dumping 3-4 cubic acres of water into Lake LBJ per second, or around 13 thousand cubic-acres per hour, or around Jimmy's number of 310K acre feet per day.

Lake Travis was 77% full yesterday and it's full today.  Rain is in the forecast off and on for the next four days.  Time to root for the forcefield.

4 minutes ago, Dewey said:
23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:
Why are they releasing from buchanan? They have what would seem to be a lot of capacity left there, with most of the rain running right to LBJ, and travis already at full. 

Travis is meant to flood.

So is Buchanan. 

Few days after Texas hired Mackovic in December 1991, Mansfield rose about 18 feet overnight and they couldn't open the gates because of rains in Onion Creek and Bastrop.  They waited for the Colorado to crest in Bastrop before opening 6 gates.  Lake Travis maxed out at 710.4 on Christmas.  Everyone drove across the dam that day to see water just 3.5 feet from going over the spillway. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hornian said:

So is Buchanan. 

No it’s not. Buchanon does not have a built in flood pool. Only Travis does. Buchanon is opening gates at 1018, Travis can absorb nearly 75% of its full capacity after it hits 681.

so as he said, Travis is by design to flood.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

And Travis is 4' over full. I think Austin about to have to take the full length. 

4 feet over conservation full. It’s not full till it gets to 714, or when it gets to the spillway. Spillway at Buchanon is 1021. They have lowered the full pool level to 1018 while they repair floodgates.

Edited by UnivTex34

4 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

No it’s not. Buchanon does not have a built in flood pool. Only Travis does. Buchanon is opening gates at 1018, Travis can absorb nearly 75% of its full capacity after it hits 681.

so as he said, Travis is by design to flood.

Don't be pedantic when you can't even spell the name of Lake Buchanan correctly.  

All I know is, Lake Travis is not a constant level lake and takes as much water as needed, or gives as much water as needed. It's not until you're charged with the upkeep on a boat dock, that you truely see just how much that lake rises and falls, daily.

I wish everyone well up there, I know how ugly it gets.

• Like 1