2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

9 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

As of now, we're considering the boat, day dock, catamaran, and most of downstairs to be total losses.  As of 3 or so hours ago the water was already over the beach area behind the house and that was before the evacuation was called for.   The caretaker of the property hasn't been able to make it back over to let us know the extent of the damage yet.

Lost boats and houses once myself but to a hurricane so I can empathize, it totally sucks.

Edited by BearSchlong

KEYE has a reporter outside next to Starke Dam and interviewing a homeowner who said his boat got taken away in the flood.  And he asked him what it was like seeing he lost his boat.  Excellent question.  Usually I'm overjoyed.  I can't tell you how many times I've enjoyed releasing my boats into floodwaters.  My only regret is that I can't do it more.

Just now, phdhorn said:

KEYE has a reporter outside next to Starke Dam and interviewing a homeowner who said his boat got taken away in the flood.  And he asked him what it was like seeing he lost his boat.  Excellent question.  Usually I'm overjoyed.  I can't tell you how many times I've enjoyed releasing my boats into floodwaters.  My only regret is that I can't do it more.

You, sir, must not be a boat owner.  Mine would be more like:

Sir, I'm actually quite happy.  We needed to winterize it, and do a carb job.  Plus, it's been in the water for a few months, so I'm saving $500 from having to have the hull cleaned and waxed, not to mention the amount I ensured it for is more than it's worth in its current state.  So I just made out like a boss, and time to upgrade it!

• Like 3

Wirtz and Starke  - in the past there were concerns about failure due to water digging in under where the water lands and causing failure from underneath.  This is a shitton of power digging at that area.  I know they repaired Wirtz a few years back since it was showing signs of failure.  Wonder how much that's anything like an issue now?

4 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

You, sir, must not be a boat owner.  Mine would be more like:

Sir, I'm actually quite happy.  We needed to winterize it, and do a carb job.  Plus, it's been in the water for a few months, so I'm saving $500 from having to have the hull cleaned and waxed, not to mention the amount I ensured it for is more than it's worth in its current state.  So I just made out like a boss, and time to upgrade it!

In other words, it would be the second best day of owning a boat, and about to be the best day again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Lake Travis Countdown to All Time Record High Level

Long way to go for that...

Top 10 highest levels for Lake Travis

Rank

Date

Height (msl)

Dec. 25, 1991 710.44

May 18, 1957 707.38

June 25, 1997 705.11

Feb. 9, 1992 704.68

July 6, 2007 701.51

Nov. 25, 2004 696.70

July 7, 2002 693.50

June 14, 1987 693.48

June 16, 2016 692.69

Oct. 7, 1959

55 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I’ll never find myself in this situation, mainly because every time I start to raise the question of living near the coast or large bodies of water, a natural disaster comes along to give my wife ammo for not moving.  

But if I found myself being asked by a reporter such questions, I would respond: “it makes me sick to my stomach.  I sent my manservant out to check on my boats, and that was three hours ago.  I didn’t hear anything back about my boats, so after two hours I sent another manservant to check on the boats and to see why the first manservant is shirking his duty.   It’s been an hour and I haven’t heard back from him.   Given that the boathouse is only a few hundred feet away from the house, I can only conclude that the boats were poorly secured by the servants, and thus were lost in the flooding, and because of the loss, both servants were deeply ashamed and have chosen to run away rather than face my wrath.”