2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

This is a good link for checking to see where the 710 ft elevation line is. Just scroll in close enough that you start seeing the topo lines (roughly where the diagonal blue stripes are). You'll see the building footprints. You can also change the base map (upper left corner) if you prefer to see what the aerial looks like.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?useExisting=1

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

1991 again

flood%20throughspillway1991.jpg

flood%20atspillway1991.jpg

Such badass pics, thanks for sharing.  I took the boat up as close to the dam as possible in July '13 when we were near the all-time low lake level of 620'.  To see the dam tower above the water 100' is pretty damn (hehe) impressive and ominous.

But these two pics are much, much more frightening.

Edited by Chet Steadman

13 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Such badass pics, thanks for sharing.  I took the boat up as close to the dam as possible in July '13 when we were near the all-time low lake level of 620'.  To see the dam tower above the water 100' is pretty damn (hehe) impressive and ominous.

What's even more impressive is the lack of homes on the hills in the background. 

Here is a map of observed rainfall over the last 30 days in Texas.  IT seems kind of low for the amount of flooding that has occurred in the Hill Country.

dSZAYROv_o.png

And here is the anticipated rainfall over the next week.

p168i.gif?1539799248

Edited by Hate

Here is a map of observed rainfall over the last 30 days in Texas.  IT seems kind of low for the amount of flooding that has occurred in the Hill Country.
dSZAYROv_o.png

And here is the anticipated rainfall over the next week.

p168i.gif?1539799248

Time of concentration is what matters. They got all their rain in short intervals - big slugs in a 24 hr period. That’s how flooding happens.

15 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

We went right up to the dam in 1991.  looked over the edge while standing on a sailboat where my feet were above the spillway. It was surreal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

LCRA says they plan to open eight gates on Mansfield. 

No way. That would send 45,000 cfs downstream and flood Austin. 

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Tram at Lakeway. Those of you flooding right now or at 700’s - where are you on the lake?

1dd7e36635c0400ab81628d326a29920.jpg

Graveyard point. Water in the bottom story (basically only the garage) 708/9 is main living area. 18" inside the upstairs Christmas flood

15 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

No way. That would send 45,000 cfs downstream and flood Austin. 

Graveyard point. Water in the bottom story (basically only the garage) 708/9 is main living area. 18" inside the upstairs Christmas flood

They said it in their 1 pm press conference.

5 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

6 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

They said it in their 1 pm press conference.

Just watched the conference. Shit he did say 4 more in the next 24 hours. Wonder why their report still says no more releases. 

17 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

In the last week, more water has been captured in Lake Travis than the city of Austin typically uses in four years.

AUSTIN (KXAN) — As Lake Travis rises to what could be record levels, the Lower Colorado River Authority is warning homeowners along Lake Austin to start taking precautions.

Within the next 24 hours, the LCRA says it will likely open up to eight gates at Mansfield Dam to relieve the amount of water coming into Lake Travis because of floodgate operations upriver.

As of 1:24 p.m., four floodgates were open on Mansfield Dam. The most floodgates ever opened at the dam was six in 1957. The LCRA calls the flooding situation "unprecedented."

LIVE BLOG: Colorado, Llano River flood updates
Lake Travis climbed 21 feet from noon Tuesday to noon Wednesday and is more than 100 percent full. In the last week, more water has been captured in Lake Travis than the city of Austin typically uses in four years.

When floodgates at Mansfield Dam open, that water will head into Lake Austin. The Tom Miller Dam, which separates Lake Austin from Lady Bird Lake, has four gates partially open as of Wednesday morning.

There are a total of 24 gates on Mansfield Dam and 37 gates on Buchanan Dam, which currently has eight gates open.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/lake-austin-homeowners-told-to-prepare-as-more-floodgates-may-open/1531205443

8 would be the most ever open. 

wow.

2 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I'm not sure they "let" it happen. I think more water came down then they could mitigate through the damns.

well...

i guess i could argue that mansfield and tom miller could have been open earlier than they were.

i do understand that they were caught a bit flatfooted, so i'm sympathetic.

but people on lbj were promised a level lake. i realize there is always risk when building on a body of water, but lcra promised a controlled environment, unless i'm misunderstanding. i never would have thought they would have let lbj/lake austin flood.

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well...

i guess i could argue that mansfield and tom miller could have been open earlier than they were.

but people on lbj were promised a level lake. i realize there is always risk when building on a body of water, but lcra promised a controlled environment, unless i'm misunderstanding. i never would have thought they would have let lbj/lake austin flood.

How would opening dams that were way downriver have helped? The water was not there. This isn’t like a situation where they opened Buchanan up and flooded LBJ, way too much water came in a space that could not hold it, from an uncontrolled source.

In theory they could have opened up Wertz and Starke earlier and dropped those lakes down well below constant level, and then allowed the flood waters to fill it up without flooding while continuing to pass water down through Mansfield and Tom Miller (earlier).  But I can't imagine that's even considered. What happens then if the flood isn't as bad? You're left with low lakes that you have to fill back up (which I guess you could do by letting water out of Buchanan and over the Inks spillway, but then you end up depleting Buchanan?). 

Also, LCRA should take over Longhorn Dam. It makes no sense that the last dam in the line is controlled and maintained by the City instead of LCRA. Some dude just called into Jeff Ward's show and was making this point.

Edited by ftf82

30 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well...

Constant level just means it stays full and waterfront means you're always on the water, not "there's water out in front of us just several hundred yards across that field of bolders and hard pan, this year." No promises about it being higher than normal.

Edited by Deej

in theory they could have opened up Wertz and Starke earlier and dropped those lakes down well below constant level, and then allowed the flood waters to fill it up without flooding while continuing to pass water down through Mansfield and Tom Miller (earlier).  But I can't imagine that's even considered. What happens then if the flood isn't as bad? You're left with low lakes that you have to fill back up (which I guess you could do by letting water out of Buchanan and over the Inks spillway, but then you end up depleting Buchanan?),]

Yeah. They don’t do that for exactly the reason that you noted.

Imagine how skewered river authorities would get if they regularly lowered lakes to catch rains that often don’t happen...then we have a drought year...and everyone bitches about all that water they sent to the gulf now that we desperately need it.

Hayden-- I don't think you understand.  "They" didn't "let" LBJ flood.  They had 4 floodgates open at Wirtz (base of Lake LBJ) and all floodgates open at Starcke (base of Lake Marble Falls).  Those 4 floodgates alone completely overwhelmed Starcke, so basically they were letting the maximum possible amount of water out of LBJ, but it wasn't enough to prevent the flooding.

Bottom line, LBJ simply couldn't take the length.  No amount of open floodgates at Mansfield or Tom Miller would have changed what happened on Lake LBJ.  They could have opened every floodgate on Lake Travis and Lake Austin, 6 months ago, and had both lakes completely drained to 0%, and it would have no effect on what happened on Lake LBJ.

• Like 1

In theory they could have opened up Wertz and Starke earlier and dropped those lakes down well below constant level, and then allowed the flood waters to fill it up without flooding while continuing to pass water down through Mansfield and Tom Miller (earlier).  But I can't imagine that's even considered. What happens then if the flood isn't as bad? You're left with low lakes that you have to fill back up (which I guess you could do by letting water out of Buchanan and over the Inks spillway, but then you end up depleting Buchanan?). 
Also, LCRA should take over Longhorn Dam. It makes no sense that the last dam in the line is controlled and maintained by the City instead of LCRA. Some dude just called into Jeff Ward's show and was making this point.

They did lower the level as the Llano was flooding. The problem is the giant wall of water that came down the Llano. Remember that this was so overwhelming that the Colorado flowed backwards (upstream) during this time.

Also they had more than 4 gates open a Wirtz for a while. They just dropped back down to 4 last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayden]Bottom line, LBJ simply couldn't take the length.  No amount of open floodgates at Mansfield or Tom Miller would have changed what happened on Lake LBJ.  They could have opened every floodgate on Lake Travis and Lake Austin, 6 months ago, and had both lakes completely drained to 0%, and it would have no effect on what happened on Lake LBJ.

Este

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk