2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

4 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

What's crazy is they had to redo the golaketravis.com/waterlevel site to fix the bar graph after it breached 700', and now they put the info-graphic up top for the flood levels.

Looking at their historical data, the period from 1965 - 1982 had no significant droughts or floods.  At least 17 years of relatively "normal" lake levels.

12 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Would 710 feet be bodies in trees level? 

No, that's just bodies on ground.  You want more like 751'.  Then it goes over the top of Mansfield and wipes out everyone and everything.  LCRA did this great realistic video of what would happen:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

A tropical depression, soon to be a trop storm,  has formed in the East Pacific Ocean, although I think it's not the one the forecasters were expecting. There could well be two of them winding up the Mexican coast this weekend and next week. 

two_pac_2d0.png

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The humblebrags in this thread are spectacular.

Anyways, I’m so concerned about the rain I’ve decided to re-locate my Gulfstream to Beverly Hills to wait out the rain. I’d be happy to take on a few passengers who need food and shelter.

Damn. My twin prop is grounded due to low ceilings/visibility. 

Update:  Rain continues into this weekend but starts to slowly taper off,  the dry period peaking around F1 Sat. concert and race day (Sun.).  Talk about a lucky break!  Qualifying might be wet here/there but the concerts and especially race day will be great.   

But then, more rain moving in next week, yep again.  We got a confluence of things to look at next week, beginning early Monday a.m.

- The low causing ALL of this rain finally kicks NE into the Central Plains.  But it drags a front behind it, which will push through but then stall around us.
- Possible second Sergio type remnants of tropical storm off Mexico moves/funnels moisture NE into Texas.
- Gulf moisture surges NW into TX.
- All of these things converge around us and we could be fooked again.  At this point NWS not calling for tons of rain... but... these patterns are often conducive to very heavy training rain.  Over where?   Not yet sure.  Stay tuned.

Here, I had the boys in the graphics room spin out this highly ornate, detailed map.  Need a superior resolution screen to pick up all of the detail, but I'm confident Surly has spent the adequate funds.

lateoctoberweathermap.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

Spoken like a true parent. As someone who coaches 7 year olds, I pray for rain weekly.

My youngest son in playing little league for the fist time.  I keep telling him. "I'm so sorry, another practice/game is canceled again. That's a bummer."   Inside I'm like "F-Yeah. No game at 8:00AM on Saturday morning!!!"  If we could keep this rain going every Thursday evening through Saturday morning for another 6 weeks, that'd be greeeeeaaaat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Update:  Rain continues into this weekend but starts to slowly taper off,  the dry period peaking around F1 Sat. concert and race day (Sun.).  Talk about a lucky break!  Qualifying might be wet here/there but the concerts and especially race day will be great.   

But then, more rain moving in next week, yep again.  We got a confluence of things to look at next week, beginning early Monday a.m.

- The low causing ALL of this rain finally kicks NE into the Central Plains.  But it drags a front behind it, which will push through but then stall around us.
- Possible second Sergio type remnants of tropical storm off Mexico moves/funnels moisture NE into Texas.
- Gulf moisture surges NW into TX.
- All of these things converge around us and we could be fooked again.  At this point NWS not calling for tons of rain... but... these patterns are often conducive to very heavy training rain.  Over where?   Not yet sure.  Stay tuned.

Here, I had the boys in the graphics room spin out this highly ornate, detailed map.  Need a superior resolution screen to pick up all of the detail, but I'm confident Surly has spent the adequate funds.

lateoctoberweathermap.png

great map. just missing OU Sux so we know where to not go when we evacuate. 

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Lake Travis close to reaching #4 all time spot. 

1. 710.44 (Xmas Flood 1991)

2. 707.38 (1957)

3. 705.11 (1997)

4. 704.68 (1992)

5. 704.29 (October 19)

To put this in better perspective, I had to do some maths and put the above into the Imperial system. If Travis rises 4 & 3/4 inches, it'll beat the 1992 record. Floating on my back, I think I might be able to manage that elevation.

Edited by bolverk
with a little flag hoisted
  • Haha 1

I haven't lived in the area in almost 15 years so excuse the dumb ass question...

There's the famous submerged SRV statue pic from 2016 and there's the pic of the statue a few pages back from yesterday where the water isn't near as high.  Back in 2016, was the rain localized more to Austin proper which caused Lady Bird Lake to rise more than it is today after all the Hill Country flooding?  I figure with LT at near record levels, and all the dam releases down stream, that LBL would be higher than it is now.

8 hours ago, Assman said:

I haven't lived in the area in almost 15 years so excuse the dumb ass question...

There's the famous submerged SRV statue pic from 2016 and there's the pic of the statue a few pages back from yesterday where the water isn't near as high.  Back in 2016, was the rain localized more to Austin proper which caused Lady Bird Lake to rise more than it is today after all the Hill Country flooding?  I figure with LT at near record levels, and all the dam releases down stream, that LBL would be higher than it is now.

Yeah, that rain event was more in central Austin. Shoal Creek flooded and all of that went into Town Lake.