2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

1 minute ago, PvilleStang said:

To be safe, I went ahead and brewed bud light just to be safe.

0 lbs of Pilsen Malt

Boiled 60 minutes

0 oz of bittering hops, 60 minutes

0 oz of flavor hops, 15 minutes

0 oz of aroma hops at flameout.

Pitched no yeast, to ensure the same consistency.

You forgot to add cucumbers

• Like 2

By the time I got to Randall's this morning at 7:15a, they were pretty much out of all water.  

Those giant 5gallon Ozarka jugs remained in the front of the store by the coin machine and ice.  A man stopped there as I was eyeing up 3 of those things to haul off and pay for.  I told him he had to be a subscriber to the Ozarka in-home water-cooler program to buy one of these.  He balked and I took the last three.  The moral of the story is everything is for sale.  

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

But first put the water in the refrigerator for 3 hours, then fill a pan half full of peanut oil.  When the oil is hot, throw the water in all at once.  It boils much better.

my peanut oil is not boiling, should i put the plastic container in?

Just now, PvilleStang said:

Who puts a butt plug in a space heater?  That'll really stink the place up!

Look man, we're in a crisis.. don't muck it up with distractions... we can get to that later.

Distributed to my son and 51,403 others at UT.  Glad they're on the job!!!!!!!!!

Dear University Community:

I want to provide the latest information about how the campus is responding to the city’s water notice and will continue to provide updates via email as the situation develops.

After learning from city officials about the notice this morning, the university immediately began developing contingency plans to provide bottled water at stations on campus. We will share more information about those plans once they are set. In the interim, you are encouraged to follow City of Austin instructions to boil water (e.g., on stovetops, in microwaves) prior to drinking it, preparing food with it or brushing your teeth. 

If you live off campus, you should also bring any water that you may need during the day with you.

We have no plans to close campus or cancel classes. On-campus dining halls are open and providing bottled water to their customers. As this situation progresses, some of the menu options on campus may also change, but we do not yet expect any additional impact in the dining halls.

Facilities Services and building managers are covering drinking fountains on campus. As a reminder, please do not drink from water fountains, sinks, or showers on campus.

The City of Austin and the university ask that you conserve water as much as possible to help us manage water supply.

We will continue to post updates on social media and respond to questions to @UTAustinSafety. New updates and responses to frequently asked questions will be posted on emergency.utexas.edu later today.

Again, we greatly appreciate your patience and cooperation. More updates will be provided as they become available.

Jimmy Johnson
Assistant Vice President for Campus Safety

From coaching the Cowboys to this?  I'd say it's a huge step up.

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

By the time I got to Randall's this morning at 7:15a, they were pretty much out of all water.  

Those giant 5gallon Ozarka jugs remained in the front of the store by the coin machine and ice.  A man stopped there as I was eyeing up 3 of those things to haul off and pay for.  I told him he had to be a subscriber to the Ozarka in-home water-cooler program to buy one of these.  He balked and I took the last three.  The moral of the story is everything is for sale.  

-ZHXi6ws0Q1pyfuoRlZnpisch_3A3p4XZt95LrSV

Is there a Ralph's around here?  

8 hours ago, Handcruser said:
On 10/22/2018 at 7:51 PM, Telegraph_it said:
Flew over Buchanan on Saturday and Sunday. Spillway, like Travis, was going strong.

e69e3a20557814f6d863b833d44b5ae3.jpg

6bb567e3c4f0af966477c55f7186b8a3.jpg

Baron? Which one?

Standard B58 manufactured early 80s. Previous owner added IO-550s during overhaul and 4 blade prop (probably going to change this back to 3). 

Update:
We interrupt this "Austin shit water" now-morphed thread for a distraction... the weather.

Going over us now are Willa's afterbirths.  Models have trended to put most of the worst rain S/SE of us, but of course this sometimes don't mean shit (all of the Hill Country and the I-35 counties from Waco on down past S.A. are under a flash flood watch).  But so far the rain is light.  It's going to gradually get heavier, probably peaking about early evening or even a few hours later.   Current radar shows mostly light rain, a few bands of moderate rain well to our west (San Angelo down to just east of Fort Stockton).

I don't think any rains we get will be heavy totals, but anything past half an inch that falls over the lakes basin could mean scattered flooding.  However right now things look okay.  Heavier rain is now moving in from the border and rain will build from now through tonight.  Mostly this will just be a rainy day, not a deluge of rain.  We'll see how it pans out by dinnertime, we should know then.  Only one small hurdle after that, tonight's rain might turn into scattered thunderstorms as a front clears out this stuff; rain could be heavy if pretty localized in these storms.

After this stuff moves out today, we'll get at least 6 days of mostly clear, sunny weather in a row, something that hasn't happened since the end of August.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

After this stuff moves out today, we'll get at least 6 days of mostly clear, sunny weather in a row, something that hasn't happened since the end of August.

This will (damn sure better) end our streak of 8 consecutive weekends with rain.  And yeah, we haven't a string of nice days in forever. 

Who woulda thunk in mid August that we'd be saying "I never want to see rain again".    It's the truth, least for now. 

Not from what I'm seeing.  Most of the rain is going to get here well after Trick/Treat time, more into Wed. daytime.  If this changes I'll post, but right now all I see is 20% chance.
In fact, the rain has been moved back from Hallowe'en from what I've seen. Front must be slowing a little.

14 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Not from what I'm seeing.  Most of the rain is going to get here well after Trick/Treat time, more into Wed. daytime.  If this changes I'll post, but right now all I see is 20% chance.
In fact, the rain has been moved back from Hallowe'en from what I've seen. Front must be slowing a little.

Quoting myself (always a good sign of needing a life, but anyway):

I was thinking Hallowe'en was on Tuesday.  Oh well, fuck Hallowe'en, my kids are grown, the day means nothing to me now except some good horror flicks dug up from the bottom of the basement in film archives.

So yeah, duh, Hallow weenie obviously is on Wednesday - which makes the rain issue a lot more iffy.  Yeah the front is 'spected to come through about 1-6 p.m., right in time for most of the candy shit.  However I think it'll be scattered, not a washout.  Most of the heaviest rain will be more east of us.

It ain't gonna be purty but I think you'll get it in. (How many times have we said that in our lives?).

10/20/2018 - 6:15 AM - Lake Travis level was 704.37

10/28//2018 - 9:30 PM - Lake Travis level was 694.38

That is 8.5 days, with four flood gates opened the entire time, and release of about 26k chicken fried steaks, to drop 10 feet.

If they continue at the same pace, it will be November 7th before we get back down to "full".

Has anyone seen any indication of how far down they will take Buchanan and Travis before ceasing the releases?