2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

spent 6 hours framing out and roofing the last part of my dad’s cookshed in Hewitt today, and it was cold as fuck. and i sweat on my grave for about 2 mins it flurried right around 1:00.

i’m windburned like a mofo and chilled to the bone, but this hot bowl of chicken sausage gumbo is curing what ails me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you’re right about the flurries.  I was out and about around that time and I swear it was as well 

The immediate cause is pretty easy to understand, and actually pretty common. A big high pressure system sits over Greenland for most of the winter. Usually it regularly weakens, allowing cold air to go straight across the pole. However, sometimes it sits there and forces low pressure systems and cold air down into the continent. That's what's happened the last month and a half. Some forecasts are actually right and said it would last until May.

Now why that particular high hasn't broken down and has remained strong over Greenland is more complex. Has a lot to do with the jet stream, ocean currents, and similar systems that sit near the Bering Strait. From there it gets a little more complex.

It's not unusual to get cold shots in April or even May. What isn't usual is the uninterrupted nature of this cold and the degree of coverage over the continent.  However pretty much everything I've seen is predicting that this is about to break down.

By the way, some models are actually showing a cooler summer the normal, I'll post ad and whatever new thread comes along for that crap.

Some fronts come in dry simply because the atmosphere doesn't have much moisture. If there's not much moisture to lift and condensed when the front comes in, there's very little rain.

The atmosphere can be dry and certain Seasons due to the where the jet stream is flowing. Some years we have pretty powerful subtropical jet coming in from Mexico bringing in a lot of moisture from the Pacific and from the Gulf. Most of those fronts are wet.

This year there isn't much of a subtropical jet over the winter, so the air is not really all that humid the spring so far. The other thing is that the jet this year is taking most of the storms while north of us across the United States.

The good news is none of this means squat for the late spring or summer. They could stay dry, but could easily see a weather pattern develop. Probably will know more mat that within a week or two.

14 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Some fronts come in dry simply because the atmosphere doesn't have much moisture. If there's not much moisture to lift and condensed when the front comes in, there's very little rain.

The atmosphere can be dry and certain Seasons due to the where the jet stream is flowing. Some years we have pretty powerful subtropical jet coming in from Mexico bringing in a lot of moisture from the Pacific and from the Gulf. Most of those fronts are wet.

This year there isn't much of a subtropical jet over the winter, so the air is not really all that humid the spring so far. The other thing is that the jet this year is taking most of the storms while north of us across the United States.

The good news is none of this means squat for the late spring or summer. They could stay dry, but could easily see a weather pattern develop. Probably will know more mat that within a week or two.

All I can think about when I read this is how to incorporate it into my next rendezvous with a lady friend from San Diego.  Damn woman, that subtropical jet is really working the moisture levels and bringing in a really strong, wet, front.