2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

13 hours ago, Yarbr said:

No power since 10 last night in Brushy Creek. Not expected to be on until 11 tonight, wtf? I'm sure my loud ass harbor freight generator is not impressing any of my neighbors.

Good thing it’s 65 and windy.  Open your windows and stop keeping your neighbors awake 

So as I was driving on the big overpass from the toll to 35 in Buda last evening I noticed a huge haze over west central TX. A few hours later the storm hit. Today every car in NB was absolutely caked in mud. Looks like we had a legit west Texas dust storm roll in right before the rain last night. 

12 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

So as I was driving on the big overpass from the toll to 35 in Buda last evening I noticed a huge haze over west central TX. A few hours later the storm hit. Today every car in NB was absolutely caked in mud. Looks like we had a legit west Texas dust storm roll in right before the rain last night. 

Went on a late night grocery run last night at 12:30 (HEB was open).  Thought I'd take the opportunity to wash the dirt off my car at the laserwash on the way home.  line was 2 cars deep at 1 in the morning, another guy pulled up behind me.

We got lit up with hail in Georgetown Friday night, washed my truck and found at least 10 new dents

What part of Gtown are you in? We got a bunch of small stuff, but the cars are so filthy that I haven’t looked closely yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerful storm system will arrive across TX late this week/early this weekend.

Extremely nice mid April weather will continue today and tomorrow before a weak cool front slides into the area on Wednesday and stalls near the coast on Thursday. Strong capping aloft during this period should prevent much in the way of thunderstorms, but a few scattered showers will be possible from Wednesday afternoon through Thursday over the region. The front will wash out late Thursday with onshore flow developing Thursday night.

Main forecast focus this week will be on the late week/weekend time period as a strong storm system looks poised to impact the region. It should be understood that we are still several days away from any impacts and the forecast will change, but decent global model consistency is pointing toward a very active period late Friday into much of Saturday over the area. Moisture values will rise to impressive mid April levels and the jet stream structure over SE TX looks mostly favorable for strong lifting along an advancing frontal boundary. Severe thunderstorms and heavy rainfall look possible with this system given it will be further south than the recent systems to slide just NE of our area. This system deserves close watch as we move through the week.

This is from Jeff Lindner, the chief meteorologist for Harris County.

Looks like models are backing off (which is why I didn't post the last few days about this).  Turning out to be a "widely scattered storms, but if you're under one, watch your cornhole".  Most of the worst (as usual this year so far) is going to be N/E of Austin.

I think right now, 1) won't be an "e'erbody gettin' rainz" situation, probably 50% of us; 2) some parts, mostly N/E of the Ausplex, will get a nasty hail/wind brief type storm, and 3) proally clear out for the "There are no losers  in this one" game.  I'd take an umbrella if you're going but probably will be 90% outta here by then.

Or not.  LOL (if changes, I'll post early a.m. Sat.).  But that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Really only one more chance, that's when the front goes through tonight about midnight, again spotty and scattered but some local areas might get a nasty/borderline severe. 

I'd say most of us won't get shit, and those who do, it'll be in and out in about 30 minutes.

Tomorrow sunny as shit and low humidity.