Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Think of this post as the trailer for the meal I may have as a main course alternative for Easter.  This is either going to be incredibly average or last-meal worthy.  Saw it on the internet today.

Gumbo Pot Pie.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

Think of this post as the trailer for the meal I may have as a main course alternative for Easter.  This is either going to be incredibly average or last-meal worthy.  Saw it on the internet today.

Gumbo Pot Pie.

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

Gumbo Pot Pie.

Why don't you just make a ham and not make the rest of us look bad?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Getting ready for Easter  dinner…. Mrs. Brat baked these delicious little pecan pie tarts this afternoon for Sunday. Into the freezer they’ll go, and will be thawed to room temperature Sunday morning. 
Of course, two of them passed my taste test while they were still warm….

IMG_2583.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

IMG_2108.jpeg.bbddf6086f796800d32eb1f477920ad8.jpeg

Dude, just take the L and move on.  No need to go all in on a bad post and make it worse.  This is a good thread, a really good one, please don’t continue to fuck up a good thing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 5:07 PM, Underdog said:

We saw a ham & scalloped potato dish from Ree Drummond last week, decided to give it a shot tonight… I think it’s a keeper. IMG_7646.thumb.jpeg.12d5b5d3098f67c5caf3a9de0b8ebc5d.jpeg

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Grrrrr.

IMG_2107.jpeg.2eef673108e8d438b1743b33bdb3a415.jpeg

10 hours ago, Underdog said:

Just for you, twat. 
IMG_7646.thumb.jpeg.2437ef78e99aedadddfd06f77f6fab92.jpeg

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Getting ready for Easter  dinner…. Mrs. Brat baked these delicious little pecan pie tarts this afternoon for Sunday. Into the freezer they’ll go, and will be thawed to room temperature Sunday morning. 
Of course, two of them passed my taste test while they were still warm….

IMG_2583.jpeg

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

IMG_2108.jpeg.bbddf6086f796800d32eb1f477920ad8.jpeg

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Dude, just take the L and move on.  No need to go all in on a bad post and make it worse.  This is a good thread, a really good one, please don’t continue to fuck up a good thing.

This series of posts cracked me up. The armybrat positioning in particular. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

lolwut? “Take the L?”

Overreact much?

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I'm pretty pleased with myself.  Money shot to follow when served.  Behold: Gumbo Pot Pie!  I'll talk about it a little in the cross-post in the Gumbo Thread.

d136c8529e5be0d585d312334c2bd23e.jpgad1b08a360cae9f90c990beeede0e99b.jpgb70606d3d5317d356fa0c3002ad39cff.jpgba5460f7af5d546eaa8ae232bd66bf67.jpg

Mother fucker. You gonna give us a cross section money shot or what?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Interested to see if it holds together or just kinda collapses. The filling looks pretty wet in the middle. 

I'm hoping its being in the fridge overnight worked some magic.  But if it's a goopy mess, it'll be a tasty one.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

don't make fun... i'm a pretty good cook but i honestly have never made a simple pomodoro sauce. my family only ever ate 'spaghetti with meat sauce' growing up, and my mate is a pretty adamant carnivore... i've made a million versions of bolognese, vodka sauce, carbonara, alfredo, shrimp/clam/mussels sauces... but never just a simple tomato sauce.
but he's getting older and his appetite is changing, so i made this last night...
20240410_195137.thumb.jpg.c541f071ef51cb99cbe8d0e01e8b653d.jpg
as usual i didn't follow a specific recipe so lmk if i omitted something crucial.
something this simple needs high caliber ingredients...fresh spaghetti from local Italian market, high quality olive oil and San Marzano tomatoes...only other ingredients were Goodfellas-sliced garlic, crushed red pepper, dash oregano, s/p, and a bunch of fresh basil that i left whole on the stalk and removed before serving, simmered just shy of two hours. def not fancy but damn if it didn't taste terrific. 
he said i could cook it again lol

ETA oh yeah i also put a parmesan rind in there! 

My go to is the evolved meat sauce my mother made that she got in high school from her high school friend who was part of the family that owned Margie’s in Ft Worth.

My wife also loves a fresh tomato sauce that I make similar but I use oven roasted fresh tomatoes. I use olive oil, lots of thin garlic toasted in the oil, red pepper flakes, and sauté some onion in it. Add in the peeled roasted tomatoes, a ton of fresh basil, and throw in the barely cooked thing spaghetti. Bowl it up, a squeeze of lemon juice, fresh grated parm. I can eat a five gallon bucket of it.

Sometimes she like it with capers and chopped kalamatas in it too.

I made these to go with some ribeyes last night. I used Yukon golds, good gruyere, fresh grated parm, heavy cream in cast iron skillet. Wife proclaimed them the best side dish, not potato dish, I’ve made in 42 years of marriage.

This is a killer recipe from Malibu and it’s even better than described. Gruyere and parm are so perfect together. Give it a shot. I have been directed that this will be the family taters for holidays going forward.
  • Hook 'Em 1