Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Well, I admit I am unaware of the subtleties of the Westlake basketball attack, but I for damn sure don't want a dirtbag like that at UT.

Now, if Billy Donovan is suitably distanced from the dirt, uh maybe?  I think we've established the title, we're just haggling over price.

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

He also had 7 turnovers and a fucking terrible game. 

And despite all that, we looked a million times worse with him off the floor.

I thought people saying we were only a ten-win team under Shaka next season were exaggerating, but I'll be damned if they didn't look like that hapless team when Kerwin Roach was the point guard.

18 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I am so tired of the good dude thing.  I don't give a shit how good a dude is, he is paid to fucking win.  and if he gets fired he has millions of free fucking dollars we've given him such that I'm not going to be "sad" that he is a good rich dude who got fired for being shitty at his job.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That team had Jarrett Allen and pre-cancer Andrew Jones who could have been an NBA prospect.   Next year’s roster could be worse if everyone leaves who could leave from this year’s team. 

lol. we won 11 games with Allen and Jones in our starting five. And oh yeah, Kerwin Roach and Eric Davis had made the All Newcomer Team in the Big XII the previous year. We had Tevin Mack, another one of Shaka's Chosen, and an undeniably talented player. we had potentially solid role players like Kendal Yancy, Shaq Cleare, James Banks, and Jacob Young. you give that roster to half the Big XII coaches that year and they finish third, *maybe* 4th if we have some injuries or something. we won 11 games!!! holy shit what a surreal year. that's worse than anything that Charlie or Herman ever did. that is Weltlich levels of complete and total failure.

Edited by shadow_operative

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I am so tired of the good dude thing.  I don't give a shit how good a dude is, he is paid to fucking win.  and if he gets fired he has millions of free fucking dollars we've given him such that I'm not going to be "sad" that he is a good rich dude who got fired for being shitty at his job.

the guy has fallen upward in an amazing way based on having a sharp mouthpiece and the ability to recruit (which is largely based on his sharp mouthpiece). i would probably find it impressive if it weren't my program that he was fucking over in 11 different ways.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We looked equally awful with him on the court and off. 

nah, ACU went an extended run when Coleman went out with two fouls. either 8-0 or 9-0. we definitely looked better when he was on the court, and as shameful as this is, he's our most level headed player and best decision maker. him being in the bench affected the outcome for sure: 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

If Pitino hadn’t fucked around with the Knicks and Celtics, he’d be the best college coach since Wooden. If he stayed in one place like Coach K, he’d be better. But he’s got too much Larry Brown in him. And yes, he’s got some baggage. But he’s the best. And he’s coaching fucking Iona. 

. . . and Wooden was a cheat, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- do I posted this 4 years ago on the shag and everyone roasted me (except maybe Derka). 
the only other post I got roasted as much was my post saying it was Lebrons league, for good and ill in 2010. What’s that show?  That we’ve got some dumb motherfuckers that don’t know hoops associated with this school. 

And your claim that Carlos Correa would be the first ever $500MM man.  You got roasted for that one pretty good.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ramey is a good player. He is poorly coached and is left to do all kinds of wild ass shit. Pitino to Texas would be fantastic. 

I’ll be in Vegas in July ( nothing more awesome than Vegas in July) with my son’s salad- tossing team. Will be at The Wynn. Greyhound Station. I’ll be the guy at the cabana glory hole  with all the hot bitches jizzum around me. Come find me. We’ll do some outdoor gaming indoor streaming. 

Fixed 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

the guy has fallen upward in an amazing way based in having a sharp mouthpiece and the ability to recruit (which is largely based on his sharp mouthpiece). i would probably find it impressive if it weren't my program that he was fucking over in 11 different ways.

I know you did your research and found Shaka to be a flawed coach years ago, but the man was the hottest name in basketball at the time. If we didn't hire him, some other name program would have. That's not really falling upward, although the fact that he's still the head coach here is certainly a testament to his resiliency.

When all of his Texas teams lose in the first round when they qualify, it's safe to say the loser is Shaka.  He has not proven otherwise.  There is no other sell for this but failure, especially when Shaka's brand of basketball is called havoc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I liked your old avatar better.  You went from cool to militant.  Cornfused.

👍🏿

I was probably more militant(definitely more argumentative) with the old avatar.  Now just rolling with the punches, enjoying the circus.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

When all of his Texas teams lose in the first round when they qualify, it's safe to say the loser is Shaka.  He has not proven otherwise.

This is the infuriating thing with Shaka supporters.  Six years, same results.  What changes, what stays the same?  I'm pretty sure this isn't a tough riddle to solve.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I know you did your research and found Shaka to be a flawed coach years ago, but the man was the hottest name in basketball at the time. If we didn't hire him, some other name program would have. That's not really falling upward, although the fact that he's still the head coach here is certainly a testament to his resiliency.

no doubt he was the hottest name at the time. it's actually hilarious how him turning down the UCLA job (supposedly because he knew he wasn't ready for that kind of job) only made his stock go even higher. by the time we hired him he was basically the Phil Jackson of college basketball. 

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Brings to mind Alec Baldwin's cameo from Glengarry Glen Ross.

-0z4UF1J35GRKVpGd4XubTeZ9LjD95dc70bVN91Z

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’ve actually never heard of that with Wooden. But if you don’t auto-saint him, then any future coaching discussion with you is worthless. He’s the best coach of any sport at any level, period. 

Well, I'm very sorry to disappoint you.  I hope I can sleep tonight.

48 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

no doubt he was the hottest name at the time. it's actually hilarious how him turning down the UCLA job (supposedly because he knew he wasn't ready for that kind of job) only made his stock go even higher. by the time we hired him he was basically the Phil Jackson of college basketball. 

The talk was he turned down UCLA because he wanted a shot at coaching for one of the regional blue bloods.  People were debating whether UNC would even bring in an outsider as HC. This is so laughable now, or it would be if we weren't currently saddled with him.  

I bit my lip for an entire season hoping to finally be able to type, everybody was wrong, blah, blah...  And then I typed something positive about winning the Big 12 tournament.  Shaka then called me a liar and gut punched me.   

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is the infuriating thing with Shaka supporters.  Six years, same results.  What changes, what stays the same?  I'm pretty sure this isn't a tough riddle to solve.

the dude(good?) was very very lucky that Football and our ath dept was a shitshow from the point he was hired.  we had to fire Charlie and then Herman turned out to be a shithead and very average coach.

Patterson, Interim, Shaka extension(not CDC driven).  no one wanted to touch Shaka after Charlie.  this epic loss may, emphasize may, get him fired.  CDC seems to be a bit full of the pussy and may try to let the contract run out.

Edited by dcar00

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’ve actually never heard of that with Wooden. But if you don’t auto-saint him, then any future coaching discussion with you is worthless. He’s the best coach of any sport at any level, period. 

It is well known those UCLA teams were paid and paid well.  Wooden was a great coach, but he had the best teams money could buy.

And if we're going to talk about best coaches of any sport at any level then let's take a look at John McDonnell - retired University of Arkansas Track and Field Coach (and he cheated his ass off too):

42 National Championships
30 National Coach of the Year Awards
49 Conference Coach of the Year Awards
83 Conference Championships
185 All-Americans

I think it was the 1990 or 1992 Olympics where if you took the guys he coached in college and considered them an independent country they would have wound up 9th in the medal count.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think CDC understands the value of recruiting and won't let Shaka coach out the duration of his contract. However, I fully expect him to wait for some other school to "poach" him before pulling the plug, even if it means drawing out the process.

I see people discuss this scenario but when has it ever happened at Texas?

Edited by dcar00

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think CDC understands the value of recruiting and won't let Shaka coach out the duration of his contract. However, I fully expect him to wait for some other school to "poach" him before pulling the plug, even if it means drawing out the process.

That would make sense. But what respectable school is going to pay good money for Shaka Smart? The only schools that would take on a guy who is 0-6 in the tourney are not going to pay Shaka what he thinks he is worth. If he was .500 or something close, then be patient. He got to go..

43 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol. we won 11 games with Allen and Jones in our starting five. And oh yeah, Kerwin Roach and Eric Davis had made the All Newcomer Team in the Big XII the previous year. We had Tevin Mack, another one of Shaka's Chosen, and an undeniably talented player. we had potentially solid role players like Kendal Yancy, Shaq Cleare, James Banks, and Jacob Young. you give that roster to half the Big XII coaches that year and they finish third, *maybe* 4th if we have some injuries or something. we won 11 games!!! holy shit what a surreal year. that's worse than anything that Charlie or Herman ever did. that is Weltlich levels of complete and total failure.

To make things even worse, Shaka completely fucking wasted Danny Newsomes career

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

And your claim that Carlos Correa would be the first ever $500MM man.  You got roasted for that one pretty good.

With good investments and as long as he doesn't divorce Daniela (unless he has a good pre-nup), it is still possible!

52 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

...The only schools that would take on a guy who is 0-6 in the tourney are not going to pay Shaka what he thinks he is worth.

Shaka is only 0-3 in the NCAA tournament at Texas.

2016- Northern Iowa LOSS

2017- 11-22 No Tourney

2018- Nevada LOSS

2019- NIT Champs Baby!

2020- No Tournament Baby!

2021- ACU LOSS

• Hook 'Em 1