Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The University of Texas would be more embarrassed to have Kelvin Sampson as a coach than it is about last night's loss to Abilene Christian.

Kelvin Sampson, like Rick Pitino, is a non-starter because of his past with the NCAA.

Too bad because either of them would be home run hires 

20 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Agreed. I know the huge salaries with little incentives and huge buy outs has become “what it takes” to get a good coach, and they regurgitate some shit about the school having to show confidence in them, but how about they show confidence in themselves by having more of their money tied to earned incentives and/or smaller buy outs. If you really are a great coach and it just doesn’t work out, you’re going to get hired by someone else quickly. If you are afraid that won’t happen, it’s probably a clue that you are an imposter and need a retirement check if/when you get fired/exposed. See: Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. 

I don’t get too worked up because it’s not my cigar money, but I feel like that money could be better spent on UT athletics or academics than paying out shitty coaches to leave after overpaying the previous X years while they were actively sucking. 

What's amazing is that there is actually a pretty significant gulf in Herman's success here and Shaka's. Herman never had a losing season. Herman never had a losing season in conference play. We won 4 bowl games while he was here and I'll take a NY6 win over a top 10 SEC team over a fucking NIT banner any day of the week. I get that you can't just make a straight comparison at Texas between football and basketball but I'd also argue Herman inherited a tougher rebuild in a sport that takes longer to rebuild.

If Shaka was posting Herman-type results he'd probably keep his job. But he's posted Charlie-type results and he's been allowed to do it for twice as long. Charlie was terrible but give him six fucking cracks at the thing and I'm willing to believe he could have finished 3rd in the B12 and maybe had Texas in a decent spot in the polls for a few weeks. 

People somehow forget that had Texas lost in the first round of the B12 tourney last year there was a good chance they miss the tourney - again - and if not the only thing saving us would probably have been brand recognition and TV ratings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

All he needed to do to get to the sweet 16 was beat a 14 and an 11. Piss. Fucking. Poor. 

Even if we stopped ACU on the final possession and beat a shitty team by 1pt, I fully expected him to lose to UCLA the next round and probably by double digits. They actually have athletes unlike ACU. Fuck Shaka.

59 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It will probably happen.  It's clickbait.  ESPN may be the most clickbaity outlet there is.

That doesn't mean it's accurate or any reason not to fire Shaka.

Even without the EOT issue, or "wokeness," or "cancel culture" or whatever, UT has a disgraceful history of racism and, beyond that, is the school everyone loves to hate.  So you know someone is going to play the race card in this deal.

Then make that coward watch the ACU game, or any of the games where we blew double digit leads, or games where we couldn't inbound the ball, or shot 5-35 from 3 or couldn't couldn't shoot FT's and loss. 

Ok, it’s been well over 12 hours.  Time for a reality check.  My biggest fear going in was that the team would beat two inferior teams and get hammered in the 3rd game.  Shaka already expected an extension at the end of the season.  Any extension would have prolonged the agony.  Bottom line, ACU did us a HUGE favor not by beating us, but playing so horribly WHILE beating us.  

Did they really shoot 30% and beat us?  Yes.  I think that is a record low % for a winning team in the tournament.  If not a record, certainly in the bottom ten.  

So even CDC can see the need for change.  The question for me is simple.

Does Shaka have any understanding of his situation?  His reputation can only get worse if he digs in his heels and tries to come back.  He is looking at a 10-20ish record at Texas.  Will have the worst attendance since kaiser bob.

Right now, he might be in the consideration for a job at some places, but his value will dive big-time if he comes back. 

Bottom line.  If he has any balls at all, he should start looking for a job somewhere else, maybe an assistant job, whatever, and make this transition easier on himself and his family.   He has the power. If he gets terminated, it’s only because he was too hardheaded, foolish, and unaware of his surroundings to do the right thing.  Btw, if that happens, he proves he’s not a “good dude” like many people here are saying. It would prove the opposite.

Coach, do the right thing!!

4 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Why does everyone say he seems like a great dude? 
Seems like a wet blanket to me. 

Not many know if he is a great dude or not. He gets paid millions yearly to be a great coach.He failed to meet that expectation.

i think he is wet, but not his blanket, his diapers, and his bed need changing all the time. 

15 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Kelvin Sampson checks all the boxes

Resurrected his career under Mike Dantoni, now has UH rolling as a #2 seed

Sampson is 65 and has made it known UH is it for him and everyone here in Houston knows that. 

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Even if we stopped ACU on the final possession and beat a shitty team by 1pt, I fully expected him to lose to UCLA the next round and probably by double digits. They actually have athletes unlike ACU. Fuck Shaka.

This is correct. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

I’m going to assume is the DT radial right wingers who just love to say buzzwords when they have no idea what they mean or what it’s in reference to. 

There’s not any indication that CDC wouldn’t fire him because of that.   And Shaka should be fired.

I don’t know that it’s radical right wingers. 

I think we are at the place in race relations in our country where it’s at a minimum a bad look for a white guy to criticize or fire a black guy and everyone is justifiably concerned about what the fallout from that might be. And that’s not necessarily a bad or ugly thing- it’s people trying to learn and relate in a new and hopefully better environment than before. I think that’s where the concern lies. 

maybe I’m wrong and should be more cynical. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We're not Indiana, they're definitely in a worse spot than us, but if we fire Shaka we better have an understanding of who we can get. Woodson's connection is as an alum and he hasn't ever coached college and Matta has obviously had his health issues. I'd hope Ivey would be our baseline but I wouldn't count on him being 100% in on moving down a level.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It will probably happen.  It's clickbait.  ESPN may be the most clickbaity outlet there is.

That doesn't mean it's accurate or any reason not to fire Shaka.

Even without the EOT issue, or "wokeness," or "cancel culture" or whatever, UT has a disgraceful history of racism and, beyond that, is the school everyone loves to hate.  So you know someone is going to play the race card in this deal.

Look, I’m as pro-Black, rooting for erreybody Black type.  I’m pro “us.”

This whole race thing will NOT be a fucking narrative.  I think some posters want media to play the race card so they can say “see I told you!”  If Texas fired Shaka after 2-3 years, then yeah that card would 100% be played and arguments could be had that race was a factor. 

But year 6?  Nah, bruh.  That won’t be a storyline because we have 6 years of proof to show why he should be fired including the best team he’s ever had at Texas that just lost to a fucking Southland school that was playing D2 ball less than 10 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

ACU looked like the team from Last Chance U. 

• Haha 1

I’m wondering what some of the BMD’s are thinking about the 7M in buyouts plus financial commitment to a big splash hire. My friend texted me after the loss last night saying don’t expect another big check from him. That was in the moment of course and no one was expecting a loss last night but he definitely wasn’t in the mindset to pay for another coaching buyout. 

18 minutes ago, Teryor said:

We're not Indiana, they're definitely in a worse spot than us, but if we fire Shaka we better have an understanding of who we can get. Woodson's connection is as an alum and he hasn't ever coached college and Matta has obviously had his health issues. I'd hope Ivey would be our baseline but I wouldn't count on him being 100% in on moving down a level.

Interesting.  Have completely forgotten about Matta.

11 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

image.thumb.png.c3c5aa47fd0bcd5b4f84347184901347.png

I saw that this morning, when I pointed out that waiting on a team to save us from Shaka was not a smart idea. I don't see a lot of teams giving him $2.5m-$3m to be average. So he either has to adjust his expectations or Texas has to help out with the first two years. Problem with subsidizing the 2 years is that it's only two years, then the new school still has to pay his asking price. And I just don't see him going that low. 

Maybe some private school will save him.

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I’m wondering what some of the BMD’s are thinking about the 7M in buyouts plus financial commitment to a big splash hire. My friend texted me after the loss last night saying don’t expect another big check from him. That was in the moment of course and no one was expecting a loss last night but he definitely wasn’t in the mindset to pay for another coaching buyout. 

This is how a guy like Royal Ivey becomes a viable candidate because you don't have to buy them out or pay them a shitload of guaranteed money.

• Hook 'Em 1

The only way Shaka gets shown the door this week or the next is if we have another African American candidate in mind and it gets leaked out by usual tools in the Longhorn Sports media.     The optics would look horrible after the “The Eyes” decision with the fallout of firing our only African American Head Coach and the Woke Mob would have a public relations field day.   This is something that makes me puke, but it’s the  dynamic we face.  Running a program through the COVID Mess will be used for cover to give him one more year.  Again , unless they have a name or names in mind that  makes it a turnkey decision like we did with Sark and Tom.    Last season it would’ve have been a done deal after a loss like this.   I think?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The "UT is racist for firing Shaka" will be a talking point assigned to some ESPN asshole on one of those argument shows. Said ESPN asshole won't even believe what he's been told to say, and he will get his ass handed to him, and that will be the extent of the OMG UT SO RACIST angle. If it even gets that far. 

The Texas haters inside the media and from other schools of course will use the race issues in his firing no matter when it happens, this year or next. He could win zero games all year and they will still say that. There are very few black coaches in D1 relatively speaking, and that will be enough “proof” for idiots and case builders.

The state of Texas has the most teams in the tournament. Seven! Most from a single state in tournament history. 5 are still kicking! 

Texas Southern (though also now out) and UNT and Abilene have something in common we don’t (under Shaka) a win.

It’s sinking in. and it stinks! Fuck this shit! I want to speak to the chancellor damnit! 

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The only way Shaka gets shown the door this week or the next is if we have another African American candidate in mind and it gets leaked out by usual tools in the Longhorn Sports media.    

Shit like this is just not true, and you should be ashamed that you opened your laptop and typed it out. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The only way Shaka gets shown the door this week or the next is if we have another African American candidate in mind and it gets leaked out by usual tools in the Longhorn Sports media.     The optics would look horrible after the “The Eyes” decision with the fallout of firing our only African American Head Coach and the Woke Mob would have a public relations field day.   This is something that makes me puke, but it’s the  dynamic we face.  Running a program through the COVID Mess will be used for cover to give him one more year.  Again , unless they have a name or names in mind that  makes it a turnkey decision like we did with Sark and Tom.    Last season it would’ve have been a done deal after a loss like this.   I think?

alex jones.jpg

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, El Squared said:

The Texas haters inside the media and from other schools of course will use the race issues in his firing no matter when it happens, this year or next. He could win zero games all year and they will still say that. There are very few black coaches in D1 relatively speaking, and that will be enough “proof” for idiots and case builders.

You and @Nueces River Rat need to shut the closet door and continue your dumbass circle jerk in private.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Utah just paid 7 million to fire and buy out their coach that did nothing in the post season. They are facing a 39 million dollar athletics deficit this year. If they can do it,  Texas can do it. Easily. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

8 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Be Less White

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Shit like this is just not true, and you should be ashamed that you opened your laptop and typed it out. 

Do we have a single viable name for a coach that the fan base would like that’s black?  I don’t think so (and I’m guilty of it when naming candidates), unless Ivey is a thing (and I guess I’d be willing to give that a try as something like a 5th option).  
Is that a problem?  It seems like it could be. I don’t think it will be the deciding factor or anything in the search, but it’s now something that the powers that be should at lest consider with every hire- wouldn’t you think?  
and yeah- agreed that posy you quoted is garbage. We really don’t know how to talk to each other yet about any of this stuff. 
I know when I posted Shaka needs to go on the old site and before throwing my hat in the ring I thought about the race component and how that would make me look by calling for his head in year 2. I guess the reason I was on with it was because I said it was time for Rick to go, not because he sucked but even as a success bc he’d plateaued and was on the downslope and it was beyond obvious that Shaka was not going to be an upgrade from Rick. 

2 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

sure its been said, but the Big 12 tourney win was just like Herman's Sugar Bowl win. Empty and hollow sugar coated shit. 

Herman winning the sugar bowl was a way more legitimate accomplishment. Great teams win conference tournaments. Average teams win conference tournaments. Shitty teams win conference tournaments. Nobody shitty wins the Sugar bowl. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So who would even be a candidate? I don’t think cdc has the nut sack to fire Shaka right now but let’s say he did like who’s the top 5 realistic candidates we could go after and get?

If it’s me?

Pitino

Beilein

Musselman

Matta 

In that order. I left Beard off bc we aren’t paying a 15 million dollar buy out- so I consider talking about him as silly as coach K or Coach Cal or anything else similarly silly. 3 of those 4 come without a substantial buyout I would believe. 
If those are all no then I guess that’s when you start talking about a guy like Royal Ivey. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Mussleman won’t leave Arkansas but I’d love to have him. Totally forgot about beilein and would love to have him as well.

i though Matta was ill or was that like the urban bs? Pitino is probably not gonna happen because he’s dirty af but if he’s a realistic option I’d throw a shit ton at Scott drew(even though I hate his face).

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I like your list. I would add Sampson and would hire him long before Ivey. 

If you hire Beilein or Matta, you ask Royal to come be on their staff and establish a line of succession.

We're not hiring Pitino or Sampson.

Matta may not want to coach again.

Edited by SizzleChest

36 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I saw that this morning, when I pointed out that waiting on a team to save us from Shaka was not a smart idea. I don't see a lot of teams giving him $2.5m-$3m to be average. So he either has to adjust his expectations or Texas has to help out with the first two years. Problem with subsidizing the 2 years is that it's only two years, then the new school still has to pay his asking price. And I just don't see him going that low. 

Maybe some private school will save him.

The crazy thing about that last is that Beard is so high.  Not that he's not a great coach, but the only reason he is paid so much is because of Tech's fear that we will come for him.

32 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The state of Texas has the most teams in the tournament. Seven! Most from a single state in tournament history. 5 are still kicking! 

Texas Southern (though also now out) and UNT and Abilene have something in common we don’t (under Shaka) a win.

It’s sinking in. and it stinks! Fuck this shit! I want to speak to the chancellor damnit! 

Ok, Karen. 🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So who would even be a candidate? I don’t think cdc has the nut sack to fire Shaka right now but let’s say he did like who’s the top 5 realistic candidates we could go after and get?

Do we still want Beilein? He’s pretty damn old

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I like your list. I would add Sampson and would hire him long before Ivey. 

I’ve always hated Sampson. There’s no way, short of a guarantee of a national title, I’d hire him. That a personal thing about me and that fucking denim shirt wearing okie. I’m sure he’d do great. 

The EoT experience  is all the proof that anyone needs to know that some in  the national  media and other schools  will attack Texas using the race angle,  for canning Shaka. Thin and weak or even non-existent linkages are the order of the day. That coupled with  clickbait and stir the shit agendas make it a lock.

Edited by El Squared