Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

4 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

if he can develop guards like those from Baylor, bring him onboard yesterday.  watching Baylor play is night and day compared to Shaka ball

Doesn’t it just make you angry? I’m sitting here sippin just fucking angry that Baylor is this good and Texas couldn’t even beat Duncanville. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

We aren’t landing tony fucking Bennett.  That’s almost as laughable as some on this board who think we have a shot at Stevens. 

If Texas was gonna move on him, it should've snatched him up three years ago after that first-round exit as a No.1 seed. He's entrenched now, Friday's result notwithstanding.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My guess is he wants to coach in the NBA but he loves texas so you’d have to think he’d consider it. It’s likely the only NCAA job he’d consider and then, only if we get to him before he gets his feet wet in the league. 

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

IT insiders say it’s well known UT is his dream job.

will ferrell yes GIF

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Donovan won back-to-back titles at Florida.

AFAIK, Nash had no prior coaching experience of any kind before accepting the Nets top job. I imagine MIke D'Antoni is the power behind the throne, with up-and-comers like Ivey, Udoka, Splitter and Vaughn running specifics.

Feel like Vaughn should get another shot at some point in time. He didn’t really have a fair shake last time around imo. 

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

Some jobs that Shaka might walk for, off the top of my head:

Marquette

Indiana (would they take him?)

Minnesota

14 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

because ESPN sucks his dick

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

He recruits well, he's considered to be an A+ representative of any university he coaches for, and plenty of programs have lower expectations than we do.

This is my kind of fan fiction. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Doesn’t it just make you angry? I’m sitting here sippin just fucking angry that Baylor is this good and Texas couldn’t even beat Duncanville. 

And Wisconsin has played WELL! Seriously.

The Bears weren't at their best, but overall, they took a big punch from a solid team and never once staggered. They controlled that game from the five-minute mark forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

The Bears weren't at their best, but overall, they took a big punch from a solid team and never once staggered. They controlled that game from the five-minute mark forward.

Yep. 
That’s how I felt about Alabama yesterday too. Iona played great and against a lesser 2 seed they might have won. But Bama is damn good. Same thing for Baylor today- rock solid win for them. Fuckers. 

9 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

They just remind me of a team i went against back in high school tournaments.  All of them were poised and fundamentally sound.  Playmakers, shooters, solid defenders.  Hated going against them and then watch them win every fucking tournament/league year after year after year.

Edited by westexhorn

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i want/have been wanting Eric Musselman. he's known for:

•developing talent

•having the second best win%/most titles won in CBA history 

•running a fun-to-watch m, uptempo offense

why more people have not been noticing him until recently is beyond me. 

Yea but would he leave Arkansas after two years(and if they make a deep run)? 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

•developing talent

Goofy resume- never at a name program. That’s not saying you are wrong, just my guess as to why you never hear his name in these kind of discussions. 

2 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

They just remind me of a time i went against back in high school tournaments.  All of them were poised and fundamentally sound.  Playmakers, shooters, solid defenders.  Hated going against them and then watch them win every fucking tournament/league year after year after year.

you played against Snook in the 70's?

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

•developing talent

He's a grad a cunt. Doesn't mean he can't win but he is truly a bitch. 

He's done here. He might keep his job another year if CDC is too scared to make a change now but it is just delaying the inevitable a year from now. The split between Shaka supporters and haters was about 35/65 heading into this tournament but that seems to be down to 10/90 now

1 minute ago, Juke_Em said:

He's done here. He might keep his job another year if CDC is too scared to make a change now but it is just delaying the inevitable a year from now. The split between Shaka supporters and haters was about 35/65 heading into this tournament but that seems to be down to 10/90 now

I don’t think it’s even 10% support, but I doubt there will be the WILL to terminate the contract this year sadly.

The problem is that you are hamstringing your next coach by keeping Shaka here for another year.

The roster is a mess next year unless you go heavy into a deep transfer portal, and gets worse in the years moving forward. There will be no sophomores on the team next year.

A coach would likely walk into a roster with Hepa, Williams, and Cunningham as a senior class, no juniors, and the current 2021 class as sophomores. That's a recipe for complete disaster for a coach in his 1st year.

According too  24/7, we have 4 guys in the top 160. Is that good? I judge recruiting by what's on the court. So if we hire a new coach during the offseason does he have a fighting chance?

And if any of those recruits want to change because of Shaka, then we already know how that story ends. See Greg Brown.

Also the longer CDC waits to pull the trigger the more likely Shaka is staying. It's one thing to not make emotional decisions, it's negligence to let Shaka come back.

Edited by Brothahorn

49 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Would he come here?

47 minutes ago, Pancho said:

IT insiders say it’s well known UT is his dream job.

46 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

His Twitter indicates he loves Texas. 

Apparently he used to play here and was even pretty good. Can someone confirm this?

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Good God there are so many pussies in Texas fandom.

Yes, some people will try to paint it as racist and negative recruit based on the fact we fired a black coach. The proper response to that should be "so fucking what?" because that won't last long. If you hire the right coach and start winning while simultaneously producing NBA draft picks it won't matter if he's fucking purple.

Congratulations on pointing out the obvious that rivals and opponents will use anything they can possibly use to negative recruit against us. Now that everybody has a firm grasp of the obvious we can move forward to the part where it doesn't make a single bit of difference on how we should proceed because it don't make a shit.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us who have pointed out the race card will be played have also stated exactly this.  But, congratulations on doubling down.

• Haha 1

If we can't/won't money-whip the established studs (Beard, Musselman, Oats), won't touch the "legends with baggage" (Sampson, Pitino), and don't want to gamble on the unknown (Ivey), then we have two options: find the basketball version of Sarkisian (former rising star whose stock is lower now for one reason or another) or follow CDC's criteria of coaches who have built successful programs at multiple stops, even if their names aren't as sexy:

Steve Pikiell (Stony Brook, Rutgers)

Craig Smith (South Dakota, Utah State)

Mike Young (Wofford, Virginia Tech - still a bit early here, though)

There are a couple of guys who have built solid programs at one program for a sustained period, too:

Kevin Willard, Seton Hall

Randy Bennett, St. Mary's

Porter Moser, Loyola Chicago

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Beilein with Ivey as lead assistant and unofficial HCIW sounds great. I don't know why Ivey would make that move, though, even to his alma mater.

Does it help if we relatively overpay Ivey?

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If we can't/won't money-whip the established studs (Beard, Musselman, Oats), won't touch the "legends with baggage" (Sampson, Pitino), and don't want to gamble on the unknown (Ivey), then we have two options: find the basketball version of Sarkisian (former rising star whose stock is lower now for one reason or another) or follow CDC's criteria of coaches who have built successful programs at multiple stops, even if their names aren't as sexy:

Steve Pikiell (Stony Brook, Rutgers)

Craig Smith (South Dakota, Utah State)

Mike Young (Wofford, Virginia Tech - still a bit early here, though)

There are a couple of guys who have built solid programs at one program for a sustained period, too:

Kevin Willard, Seton Hall

Randy Bennett, St. Mary's

Porter Moser, Loyola Chicago

Possibly a dumb question, but are these guys able to handle the admin/recruiting tasks at a big program (even one where basketball isn’t #1)?

2 minutes ago, Sal said:

Does it help if we relatively overpay Ivey?

Couldn't hurt. I have no idea what NBA assistants make.

2 minutes ago, Sal said:

Possibly a dumb question, but are these guys able to handle the admin/recruiting tasks at a big program (even one where basketball isn’t #1)?

Not a dumb question. There's a reason these guys would be further down on any coaching lists. Texas isn't necessarily a good enough job to get the guys who have already won big in big conferences. Hell, we couldn't even get such a guy in football.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 2

Assuming we make a move this offseason, the way they did the football search tells us that they might draw things out with firing Shaka until they have the replacement lined up. In women's BB, Vic was hired about two days after they announced Aston's contract was not going to be renewed.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

They just remind me of a team i went against back in high school tournaments.  All of them were poised and fundamentally sound.  Playmakers, shooters, solid defenders.  Hated going against them and then watch them win every fucking tournament/league year after year after year.

Must of been McAdoo.  Ha