Fuck you Alzheimer's. You own her no more...

My dear sweet mother-in-law passed this afternoon after fighting this wicked disease for the past 5-6  years.  I feel relief for her soul to no longer being tormented by losing the relationships she so elegantly engaged throughout her lifetime. I know that she is no longer cursed to the abject loneliness she must have felt, even though loved ones and friends were constantly around.  I have missed her dearly during this time, as we had a fantastic relationship with long talks and just good, good things.  My wife no longer has to endure watching her mother suffer this wretched mental state while the body continues to fight to thrive. Her legacy is one of grace, creativity, and making others' lives better through education. She's one of the most beautiful people I have ever known.

You are free now. Rejoice, you beautiful lady...

Sorry man.

My grandpa who was may idol, a WWII vet, and an Architect for the government went through the same thing.  I was a little kid at the time and simply couldn’t understand how a man how a man I literally idolized could degrade so quickly.

Its truly a horrible disease. 

Grandmother had zombie disease.  It’s the most vile, wretched affliction imaginable.  All of her brothers and sisters had it as well.  It definitely runs in my family and I’ll likely have to deal with it with my mom.  

If I get that shit, I’ll pull the ol Aubrey McClendon 

sorry for your loss, Slorch.  But damn happy for her release.   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 5:55 PM, BurntEyes said:

My dad has it. It's fucking brutal. Truly.

It is genetic and I truly hope should I ever be diagnosed this country has figured out that perhaps being as humane to humans as suffering animals is maybe a good idea.

If not, I'll fucking solve the problem myself. I'm not going through that and feel for anyone who has and the family members that have to go through it with them. Trust me, the family members also go through it too and it sucks ass.

Glad she passed sorry for your loss. It's hard to say and accept but passing of people suffering from such shit is best for everyone.

It may or may not be completely genetic...some are now calling it Type 3 Diabetes:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-startling-link-between-sugar-and-alzheimer-s

Between this and the fact that most cancers feed off sugar, I'm about ready to try living an absolute zero sugar lifestyle.  

• Like 1

Sorry man.  That fucking sucks.

Alzheimer's runs real strong in my Grandma's family.  She was the youngest of 12 kids, and every kid who made it past 70, except for her, developed it.  One of my earliest memories is going to visit my great aunt in the nursing home with my grandma.  I was probably 3 or 4, and you could hear her screaming in terror when you entered the building.  It was extremely scary as a little kid, and it's just pure, absolute hell for everyone around.

Selfishly, one of my biggest fears is my old man getting it and me having to be the one who deals with it, since I'm the one who lives around home, running the family business, etc.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

It may or may not be completely genetic...some are now calling it Type 3 Diabetes:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-startling-link-between-sugar-and-alzheimer-s

Between this and the fact that most cancers feed off sugar, I'm about ready to try living an absolute zero sugar lifestyle.  

Interesting if true. My grandpa, that I posted up thread about, was a diabetic who loved sugar even though he wasn’t supposed to eat it.   

On 7/7/2019 at 1:46 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Best wishes to you and your family Slorch. Stay strong for them.

This simple post says so much.

we had the funeral yesterday.  I had initially written about a page and a half tribute/ memories of her/ info about ALZ and her care takers with the understanding that one of the more distant cousins would read it. I could talk in front of Cowboys’ Stadium crowd if it was vocational or training at work.  I get choked up watching HoF induction speeches every summer in Canton when they start thanking their mommas and daddies. I struggle like hell on anything emotional.

Too bad. LOL.  You’re reading it...mostly because nobody else can get through it either.  I read it in a room by myself about an hour beforehand and didn’t make it to the end.  ‘Oh crap!” I said.   I finally thought about how she could not really talk with us the last few years and this would be her voice... to make people laugh at her memorial and hopefully better understand what she faced.

Well I did it. Pretty much the only part where I lost the power of speech was talking about how my in laws had met, how it turned into 50+ years of marriage, and then how she raised my SIl, my BIL, and then I could not say my wife’s name.  I just pointed at her and said “ That one.”   Lol

It was a beautiful day and we celebrated how elegant, graceful, and caring about others she was.throughout her life. It could not have been any better for what the day held.  I miss her like hell, but that has gone on for years now.  She is whole again.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement in this thread.   Assholes still have a little good in them...

Edited by slorch

On 7/3/2019 at 5:55 PM, BurntEyes said:

My dad has it. It's fucking brutal. Truly.

It is genetic and I truly hope should I ever be diagnosed this country has figured out that perhaps being as humane to humans as suffering animals is maybe a good idea.

If not, I'll fucking solve the problem myself. I'm not going through that and feel for anyone who has and the family members that have to go through it with them. Trust me, the family members also go through it too and it sucks ass.

Glad she passed sorry for your loss. It's hard to say and accept but passing of people suffering from such shit is best for everyone.

Damn, I never realized it was genetic.  Furk......