Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

IT

COOPER EXPLAINS HIS DECISION

When new Texas commit Mookie Cooper joined high school teammate and Texas signee Marcus Washington on his weekend trip to Austin, his decision became very clear.

He had made previous visits and enjoyed each one, but when he came with his teammate, he had a realization.

“It helped out knowing that I wouldn’t be up here by myself,” Cooper said Saturday. “Some people might feel some type of way going to a far place all alone, but it helps in the situation knowing I’ve got somebody already up here that I can already be close with.”

On that plane ride, Cooper spoke with Washington about possibly committing to Texas this weekend over 20 other offers. 

When he got off the plane and arrived at the facility, he made it happen.

“I had told (Bryan) Carrington first,” Cooper said. “Coach Herman had just gotten in. I told them last night. I was here last night. I think he already had the idea. He was asking me, and I was just smiling super hard. I just told him. It was real exciting though.”

According to MaxPreps, Cooper had 28 receptions for 834 yards and nine touchdown receptions during the 2018 season. He added 261 yards and three scores on the ground as part of Trinity Catholic’s 13-2 campaign.

At Texas, Cooper said the coaches wanted to use him at the H, or slot, in Texas’ offense. He said he would be primarily in the slot, but would be motioned and sometimes join the backfield.

“I feel like I can fit perfect in it, and we’ll have a good time doing it,” Cooper said.

One of the players Cooper believes he compares well to is current Purdue receiver and former Texas commit Rondale Moore. 

“People may feel like if you’re small, you can’t do things,” Cooper said. "He’s very explosive, can get the ball quick, and make plays happen.”

Outside of the football part of the visit, Cooper made sure to mention he enjoys Texas’ capital every time he makes it to town.

“It’s a nice place,” Cooper said. “Number one city, so I’m just ready to get out here and see what the city is all about and have a great time. They’ve got some good food here all the times I’ve been up here.”

In addition, Cooper’s mother looked to be on board with the decision posting a picture of herself in a new burnt orange cap.

“My mom’s happy for me,” Cooper said. “Everybody’s happy for me.”

TEXAS IS A CONSTANT FOR ALFRED COLLINS

If you’re heading into Austin from Houston on SH-71, for the past nine years you’ve driven past Cedar Creek high school. Cedar Creek opened as the second school in Bastrop ISD and hasn’t had much major athletic success to speak of.

In fact, no football player from Cedar Creek has even had so much as a recruiting profile on 247 Sports since the school was founded until Alfred Collins.

Collins is a 6-foot-5, 248 pound lineman who projects to end in college, but plays at a different spot right now.

“In college I want to play d-end, but in high school I’m the biggest dude, so I play nose,” Collins said Friday. 

Playing defensive end and joining a family-oriented atmosphere are the two major things Collins is looking at in his college program. 

Right now, he’s looking at a lot of college programs. When Inside Texas spoke with him, he said he hears a lot from Texas, Texas A&M, SMU, Baylor, and LSU with a little Alabama mixed in. 

When asked where he wanted to get to this spring, he mentioned out-of-state schools like Florida and Notre Dame. At the Under Armour camp in Houston on Sunday, he told Nick Krueger of The Other 98 that Texas and Oklahoma stand out right now and that he wants to visit Oklahoma and Alabama.

It appears there are a lot of different schools trying to enter the competition for Collins’ services, but the Longhorns remain a constant. Collins’ mother, Benita Pollard, was a four-year contributor for Jody Conradt in the early 90s, helping Texas women’s basketball to the 1993 Southwest Conference title and the 1994 Southwest Conference tournament title.

“I grew up at UT,” Collins said. “I grew up always being at UT.”

Collins said he speaks with d-line coach Oscar Giles and with Tom Herman, referring to both as “great people.”

Whenever the next step in his recruiting process takes place, Collins said UT will be in the mix. 

By: Eric Nahlin

LINDBERG AND EVANS

I caught up with the Clear Creek mammoth on Sunday. He didn't participate because of a shoulder issue he didn't want to exacerbate playing fake football.

On his upcoming Stanford visit in early March: 
"I think it could jumble up the list a little bit. We'll see how I like it. I've heard from Jake Majors, he says Stanford isn't all that, but Darius Snow told me that I'll love Stanford. I think it's a little too intense academically and that's why they weren't in his top 10 but he said he loved it."

What is it about Stanford beyond academics:
"NFL preparation. I think that will be big because they always send o-linemen to the NFL. And then coaching, I mean I think Texas coaches are really good and give you that family feel but I think Stanford coaches could do that too."

I was up against the buzzer with the start of camp but I got the main questions I had answered. I did chat up his mother, Emily, for a while. She knows the Stanford visit is pretty big and she's conflicted on where she wants Chad to go. Really she just wants him to be comfortable with his decision. I asked her about Chad being a leader in the class and she said he knows he has that potential but he has to be sure in his decision before he takes on a more vocal role. As of now he really doesn't know where he's going. I get the Texas optimism but he isn't the slam dunk some think he is.

I did a little more homework on him and LSU has made a bit of a move. He likes the o-line coach there quite a bit but I also think they're on the table because of the potential of playing with Zach Evans. If they want to play together then Stanford is out for Chad. An unbiased assessment of the situation is UT is the best compromise school of football and academics for the two.

There's buzz within the current commits that if Texas can land Lindberg it will get Damieon George and eventually Evans. 

Evans was supposed to visit Clemson this week but Dabo Swinney requested they move it so they could spend more time together. Lindberg also likes Clemson. Evans will reschedule and it sounds like an Alabama trip is on the horizon too. 

With Evans, just monitor the visits and hang around the hoop. There won't be important information on him until the fall.

BRYSON WASHINGTON

The 2020 C.E. King safety with size and speed has emerged as a priority for the staff. He attended Elite Day in January, where he even spent the night, and made the return just a month later. Actions in recruiting often tell the story better than words. The actions here suggest a lot of mutual interest.

But here's what he had to say anyway.

Coach Huff still sounds weird to me:
"This time I got a one-on-one with Coach Huff. He's a great dude. Did more of the defensive scheme. Did more talking about how the safety position, how it's going to be more smoother with the whole six DBs in the backfield. I just got to know more from the coaches' standpoint. It was pretty good."

Quality time with the head man:
"With Coach Herman it was telling me more history about himself, more personal-wise. He was telling me more deep into him because at first I just knew him as a head coach at the University of Austin (he was a bit nervous and misspoke) but now he told me about things personally when he was younger growing up and the love he had for UT. That's what he telling me about and I love that about it."

Getting to know Herman better is another sign they're pushing hard.

Washington mentioned that Texas was still one of his top schools and declined to mention who their competition is. It's safe to assume Oklahoma is one of those schools. The big news here is Washington states he'd now prefer to make a decision closer to signing day rather than the summer. Survey says...he might be a player they get off his timeline if they like him enough. 

One thing Blake Brockermeyer told me stands out here: "One thing I've learned through this process is Orlando and Yancy want low-drama, lunch pail productive kids that bust their ass and take care of business." I think Washington fits the description but it will be interesting to see if he truly does want to wait until December. There's no shortage of contingency plans and the staff could elect to go 'first come, first served' between Washington or a guy like Lathan Ransom. 

Edited by Machinator

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

COOPER EXPLAINS HIS DECISION

When new Texas commit Mookie Cooper joined high school teammate and Texas signee Marcus Washington on his weekend trip to Austin, his decision became very clear.

He had made previous visits and enjoyed each one, but when he came with his teammate, he had a realization.

“It helped out knowing that I wouldn’t be up here by myself,” Cooper said Saturday. “Some people might feel some type of way going to a far place all alone, but it helps in the situation knowing I’ve got somebody already up here that I can already be close with.”

On that plane ride, Cooper spoke with Washington about possibly committing to Texas this weekend over 20 other offers. 

When he got off the plane and arrived at the facility, he made it happen.

“I had told (Bryan) Carrington first,” Cooper said. “Coach Herman had just gotten in. I told them last night. I was here last night. I think he already had the idea. He was asking me, and I was just smiling super hard. I just told him. It was real exciting though.”

According to MaxPreps, Cooper had 28 receptions for 834 yards and nine touchdown receptions during the 2018 season. He added 261 yards and three scores on the ground as part of Trinity Catholic’s 13-2 campaign.

At Texas, Cooper said the coaches wanted to use him at the H, or slot, in Texas’ offense. He said he would be primarily in the slot, but would be motioned and sometimes join the backfield.

“I feel like I can fit perfect in it, and we’ll have a good time doing it,” Cooper said.

One of the players Cooper believes he compares well to is current Purdue receiver and former Texas commit Rondale Moore. 

“People may feel like if you’re small, you can’t do things,” Cooper said. "He’s very explosive, can get the ball quick, and make plays happen.”

Outside of the football part of the visit, Cooper made sure to mention he enjoys Texas’ capitol every time he makes it to town.

“It’s a nice place,” Cooper said. “Number one city, so I’m just ready to get out here and see what the city is all about and have a great time. They’ve got some old food here all the times I’ve been up here.”

In addition, Cooper’s mother looked to be on board with the decision posting a picture of herself in a new burnt orange cap.

“My mom’s happy for me,” Cooper said. “Everybody’s happy for me.”

TEXAS IS A CONSTANT FOR ALFRED COLLINS

If you’re heading into Austin from Houston on SH-71, for the past nine years you’ve driven past Cedar Creek high school. Cedar Creek opened as the second school in Bastrop ISD and hasn’t had much major athletic success to speak of.

In fact, no football player from Cedar Creek has even had so much as a recruiting profile on 247 Sports since the school was founded until Alfred Collins.

Collins is a 6-foot-5, 248 pound lineman who projects to end in college, but plays at a different spot right now.

“In college I want to play d-end, but in high school I’m the biggest dude, so I play nose,” Collins said Friday. 

Playing defensive end and joining a family-oriented atmosphere are the two major things Collins is looking at in his college program. 

Right now, he’s looking at a lot of college programs. When Inside Texas spoke with him, he said he hears a lot from Texas, Texas A&M, SMU, Baylor, and LSU with a little Alabama mixed in. 

When asked where he wanted to get to this spring, he mentioned out-of-state schools like Florida and Notre Dame. At the Under Armour camp in Houston on Sunday, he told Nick Krueger of The Other 98 that Texas and Oklahoma stand out right now and that he wants to visit Oklahoma and Alabama.

It appears there are a lot of different schools trying to enter the competition for Collins’ services, but the Longhorns remain a constant. Collins’ mother, Benita Pollard, was a four-year contributor for Jody Conradt in the early 90s, helping Texas women’s basketball to the 1993 Southwest Conference title and the 1994 Southwest Conference tournament title.

“I grew up at UT,” Collins said. “I grew up always being at UT.”

Collins said he speaks with d-line coach Oscar Giles and with Tom Herman, referring to both as “great people.”

Whenever the next step in his recruiting process takes place, Collins said UT will be in the mix. 

By: Eric Nahlin

LINDBERG AND EVANS

I caught up with the Clear Creek mammoth on Sunday. He didn't participate because of a shoulder issue he didn't want to exacerbate playing fake football.

On his upcoming Stanford visit in early March: 
"I think it could jumble up the list a little bit. We'll see how I like it. I've heard from Jake Majors, he says Stanford isn't all that, but Darius Snow told me that I'll love Stanford. I think it's a little too intense academically and that's why they weren't in his top 10 but he said he loved it."

What is it about Stanford beyond academics:
"NFL preparation. I think that will be big because they always send o-linemen to the NFL. And then coaching, I mean I think Texas coaches are really good and give you that family feel but I think Stanford coaches could do that too."

I was up against the buzzer with the start of camp but I got the main questions I had answered. I did chat up his mother, Emily, for a while. She knows the Stanford visit is pretty big and she's conflicted on where she wants Chad to go. Really she just wants him to be comfortable with his decision. I asked her about Chad being a leader in the class and she said he knows he has that potential but he has to be sure in his decision before he takes on a more vocal role. As of now he really doesn't know where he's going. I get the Texas optimism but he isn't the slam dunk some think he is.

I did a little more homework on him and LSU has made a bit of a move. He likes the o-line coach there quite a bit but I also think they're on the table because of the potential of playing with Zach Evans. If they want to play together then Stanford is out for Chad. An unbiased assessment of the situation is UT is the best compromise school of football and academics for the two.

There's buzz within the current commits that if Texas can land Lindberg it will get Damieon George and eventually Evans. 

Evans was supposed to visit Clemson this week but Dabo Swinney requested they move it so they could spend more time together. Lindberg also likes Clemson. Evans will reschedule and it sounds like an Alabama trip is on the horizon too. 

With Evans, just monitor the visits and hang around the hoop. There won't be important information on him until the fall.

BRYSON WASHINGTON

The 2020 C.E. King safety with size and speed has emerged as a priority for the staff. He attended Elite Day in January, where he even spent the night, and made the return just a month later. Actions in recruiting often tell the story better than words. The actions here suggest a lot of mutual interest.

But here's what he had to say anyway.

Coach Huff still sounds weird to me:
"This time I got a one-on-one with Coach Huff. He's a great dude. Did more of the defensive scheme. Did more talking about how the safety position, how it's going to be more smoother with the whole six DBs in the backfield. I just got to know more from the coaches' standpoint. It was pretty good."

Quality time with the head man:
"With Coach Herman it was telling me more history about himself, more personal-wise. He was telling me more deep into him because at first I just knew him as a head coach at the University of Austin (he was a bit nervous and misspoke) but now he told me about things personally when he was younger growing up and the love he had for UT. That's what he telling me about and I love that about it."

Getting to know Herman better is another sign they're pushing hard.

Washington mentioned that Texas was still one of his top schools and declined to mention who their competition is. It's safe to assume Oklahoma is one of those schools. The big news here is Washington states he'd no prefer to make a decision closer to signing day rather than the summer. Survey says...he might be a player they get off his timeline if they like him enough. 

One thing Blake Brockermeyer told me stands out here: "One thing I've learned through this process is Orlando and Yancy want low-drama, lunch pail productive kids that bust their ass and take care of business." I think Washington fits the description but it will be interesting to see if he truly does want to wait until December. There's no shortage of contingency plans and the staff could elect to go 'first come, first served' between Washington or a guy like Lathan Ransom. 

I'd love to see that random aggy 247 poster who said Lindberg and Evans couldn't possibly have much impact on each other's decisions (for heavily implied reasons) read that. It'd blow his mind.

Tunmise Adeleye update from HammLite ::

SPRING, Texas - Though he picked up offers as a freshman, Katy Tompkins defensive end Tunmise Adeleye did not see varsity action until he was a sophomore this past season. The 6-foot-3, 255-pound defender did not disappoint, dominating while helping Tompkins to its first-ever playoff berth.

Though he is still a little under two years away from signing, Adeleye has been making the campus rounds this spring. He spent Saturday in Austin visiting Texas.

"I went to Texas yesterday," Adeleye said at Sunday's Under Armour camp. "It was great talking to the coaching staff. It's always a great opportunity when I get a chance to talk to the coaching staff."

Adeleye says he also had the opportunity to speak with several current Longhorn defensive linemen.

"There was more one-on-one with the players this time," he said. "Some of the players I've built relationships with at Texas - Peter (Mpagi), Moro (Ojomo), Keondre (Coburn) - they sat down and talked to me and told me about how they see that I fit in and how they see the team going from here."

Adeleye had previously been in College Station to visit Texas A&M for the big Super Bowl event. He liked what head coach Jimbo Fisher and the other coaches had to say.

"I went to A&M a couple weeks ago. I talked to the coaches a lot there too," Adeleye said. "I spent more time with them than I had before. We got to sit down with coach (Terry) Price, coach (Elijah) Robinson and I got to talk to coach Fisher. They showed me where they think I fit in the scheme and how they see me better as a 4-3 defensive end than a 3-4. I could see myself in that for sure."

Prior to the visit to A&M, Adeleye admitted the Aggies had fallen back a bit. However, immediately after, he said they were back in serious contention for him.

"I started leaning away from Texas A&M as I’ve started to get more and more offers and I honestly started building a strong bond with the staff at UT. But, meeting again with coach Fisher and coach Price today really reestablished A&M at the top of my recruitment," he said at the time.

Now, Adeleye has a top group that includes both A&M and Texas, as well as a pair of other schools.

"I have a top four right now," he said. "There are other schools I'm interested in, but the top four right now is Alabama, A&M, Texas and Oklahoma."

As a sophomore, Adeleye was a first-team all-district selection. He recorded 56 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, eight sacks and a safety.

29 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Tunmise Adeleye update from HammLite ::

aggy planting those 3-4 negative recruiting seeds early. Because anytime you have a 6’5, 260 lb sophomore, you gotta sell him on being a 4-3 DE. 

Jimbo better watch out. Who knows who the aggy DC will be by 2021. That guy might run a 3-4. One things for sure, it sure as hell won’t be Elko.

I don't have the time nor inclination to follow more than one recruiting year thread at a time, so I have spent the last two weeks reading this thread from start to finish.

You degenerates are nothing if not entertaining.

Watching/reading the lows (Maryland loss/Sheppard-FWK drama) and the highs (Georgia win) shows how bi-polar and knee jerk this board can be.

The week long foray into hand size was peak surly.

Fuck it. errbody.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Omeire update via HammLite 

Top 100 WR Omeire high on both A&M, Texas

Lulz. Hamm (and all of aggy) really get off on recruitments they expect to bill as a head-to-head recruiting win over UT. Omeire definitely seems more likely to sign with aggy right now, but the staff is doing the right thing in going all out for him. 

The idea of caring about head-to-head wins just for their sake is so dumb. I don’t care who we recruit against or “win” or lose to” in a recruitment as long as we end up with a talented class like we have the last two years. Herman’s planning and organization paid off massively in 2019 and combining those skills with more in-state wins, like we’re almost guaranteed to get this year, will pay off in a big way.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

It’s a nice place,” Cooper said. “Number one city, so I’m just ready to get out here and see what the city is all about and have a great time. They’ve got some old food here all the times I’ve been uphere.”

TRANSLATION REQUEST FOR AN OLD...

What does “got some old food here” mean?

Thanks, I’ll hang up & listen  

8 hours ago, Chili dog said:

There’s another 6’7” kid out of Grandview in the 2021 class who’s kind of in the same boat. He’s playing DE and some TE/WR. Caught the last TD in the state title game. I work with his dad. His last name is Crownover. Not sure how hard we’re looking at him, but he already has a few offers. Okie light is the most recent I can think of. He loves football first, but he’s 6’7” as a sophomore and his grandfather is 7’. Hard to play football at that height. Daddy was a DT at Baylor in the early 90s, I think. 

What about the DE from Pleasant Grove who we just had in?  He was 6-5 as a freshman, I think he is 6-7 now, and IIRC, @markstanco was saying his dad is even taller.

Just checked out TFB’s OL/DL breakdown. Broughton is a beast and reminds me a lot of Leal, except I think Leal might have a more explosive first step. 

Baizer mentions that Broughton’s trainer was yelling at him in one of the vids. I know CTJ has mentioned Lyles being involved, but I don’t think that’s who Baizer was referencing. @OnAComputer the trainer wasn’t Lyles, was it?

also, it’s  insane that Collins is already almost 250. He has a ton of filling out to do. He reminds me a lot of Omenihu, except about 1-2 years ahead of Omenihu at this stage. Collins could turn into an absolute beast.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Just checked out TFB’s OL/DL breakdown. Broughton is a beast and reminds me a lot of Leal, except I think Leal might have a more explosive first step. 

Baizer mentions that Broughton’s trainer was yelling at him in one of the vids. I know CTJ has mentioned Lyles being involved, but I don’t think that’s who Baizer was referencing. @OnAComputer the trainer wasn’t Lyles, was it?

also, it’s  insane that Collins is already almost 250. He has a ton of filling out to do. He reminds me a lot of Omenihu, except about 1-2 years ahead of Omenihu at this stage. Collins could turn into an absolute beast.

Lyles is not a trainer, his role has always been one of a facilitator... 

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

What about the DE from Pleasant Grove who we just had in?  He was 6-5 as a freshman, I think he is 6-7 now, and IIRC, @markstanco was saying his dad is even taller.

I believe his dad played basketball for aggy.  That being said, he's been to our campus multiple times. Also - he's only going to be a junior - so class of 2021.

Edited by Bevo in VA
class of 2021

24 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Lyles is not a trainer, his role has always been one of a facilitator... 

I realize that but there seemed to be a couple dudes watching Broughton. Wasn’t sure if he was part of that group. And in general, dudes like Lyles cal themselves trainers or something of the sort, even though they’re not.

i don’t want to go full Katfid here but Lyles could definitely be one of the two guy standing behind Broughton in the video.

DwHCncFU0AAP4au?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Burt Macklin

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I realize that but there seemed to be a couple dudes watching Broughton. Wasn’t sure if he was part of that group. And in general, dudes like Lyles cal themselves trainers or something of the sort, even though they’re not.

i don’t want to go full Katfid here but Lyles could definitely be one of the two guy standing behind Broughton in the video.

Looks like he went to the Jeff Madden school of athletic training. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

The idea of caring about head-to-head wins just for their sake is so dumb. I don’t care who we recruit against or “win” or lose to” in a recruitment as long as we end up with a talented class like we have the last two years. Herman’s planning and organization paid off massively in 2019 and combining those skills with more in-state wins, like we’re almost guaranteed to get this year, will pay off in a big way.

we all know why they care about h2h wins.  that's kind of their thing - searching for any type of victory - moral or otherwise.  obviously in general, if you can get the top guys in texas, you can win a lot of games.

my feeling on h2h is i don't care who we beat for a guy unless we play them.  better put, i prefer a h2h win over oklahoma because it's a zero sum game.  our recruiting win makes them weaker, in theory (recruiting is an inexact science, blah blah).  it makes them look for other options, scramble, get in on backup plans too late, whatever.

momentum and perception are important in college football.  but a ton of that stems from on-the-field winning.  getting better players than the teams actually on our schedule helps with winning.  if that means beating tcu for the type of guy who might otherwise torment us for 4 years, then fuck yes, i want that guy.

if aggy wants to tout some sort of moral victory over us because they got a couple recruits that we were also working on, then yeah, that's expected.  but if a recruit comes down to a&m or ou, my vote is a&m.  let's keep our eye on the ball here. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s amazing this fucking parasite is allowed near high school football recruits. 

• Like 1