Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

(Steve Wiltfong) Team to watch leading up to Early Signing Period: Texas

We are just under a month away from Dec. 18 and the first day of the Early Signing Period, and Texas is tracking for a third-straight Top10 recruiting class. And maybe the best one yet of the Tom Herman era. The Longhorns are currently sitting on 18 commits and the No. 6 haul in the country per the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings, but pound for pound it’s better than the two top three classes that put pen to paper the previous two cycles.

When looking at average ranking per commit, this 2020 class is holding at 92.75 headlined by five-star running back Bijan Robinson and a pair of consensus Top100 quarterback recruits in Ja'Quinden Jackson and Hudson Card. The 2019 Texas class had an average ranking of 91.19 and the 2018 class’s mark was 92.16. This class looks like a strong one to compliment what will be a veteran football team next fall. So how could it finish?

The biggest name left on the board is unquestionably Top247 defensive end Alfred Collins out of nearby Bastrop (Texas) Cedar Creek. The Longhorns legacy is trending towards Austin on the 247Sports Crystal Ball but Oklahoma shouldn’t be counted out down the stretch. This will be one of the more competitive recruitments nationally leading into the Early Signing Period. I probably still like Texas but nobody should be surprised if Lincoln Riley and the Sooners pulled it out as well. I'm betting this one goes all the way to Dec. 18.

Look for Texas to add another receiver to the equation. Prolific in-state four-star Loic Fouonji is a major target, but I’d lean Texas Tech for him as things stand now. The best bet to fill that spot is another four-star in Kelvontay Dixon, a former Arkansas commit who was already looking hard at the Longhorns anyway.

Herman and his staff would also like to add a linebacker to the boat. Ole Miss commit Jaqwondis Burns took an official visit this month and has interest. Then you have Taye McWilliams who is a long-time commitment to Baylor as a running back but the Longhorns are pushing as a second-level defender.

While at this point Texas is probably a long shot for five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo, there was some buzz back in the spring the Big 12 program led and they’ll probably get another swing at Ringo before he announces a college decision. Georgia is the perceived favorite there with Oregon in the mix as well. Look for Texas to finish with somewhere between 20 to 22 players in this class.

28 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

As much as fuonji would be nice, I think QJ is the only wideout that will be a difference maker. Think he is right up there with bijan, JQJ, And VB as recruits we can’t lose. 

At 6'4 in a strength program like Yancey's I can't wait to see what his ceiling is. Really hope coach meh is gone so he doesn't stunt his growth

In case yah haven't reviewed class in awhile... 

Texas 2020 Football Commits

National Rank   6  Prev. Yr: 3     Next Yr: 4

Big-12 Rank    1   Prev. Yr: 1.     Next Yr: 1

Avg. Rating.  0.9275    Prev.Yr: 0.9119    Next Yr: 0.9321

• Commits (18)
  •   Bijan Robinson    Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) 
    6-0 / 200.  0.9925   16 2 2

Commit 8/2/2019.    RB

•  Ja'Quinden Jackson    Duncanville (Duncanville, TX) 
    6-2 / 219.    0.9696   66 3 9

Commit 6/3/2019     ATH

•  Hudson Card    Lake Travis (Austin, TX) 
    6-2.5 / 179.  0.9693  67 3 10

Commit 5/25/2018     DUAL

•  Quentin Johnston    Temple (Temple, TX) 
    6-4 / 180.  0.9684   69 13 11

Commit 8/17/2019.      WR

• Vernon Broughton.   Cy Ridge (Houston, TX) 
    6-5 / 286   0.9593  87 8 15

Commit 7/17/2019.     DT

•  Prince Dorbah    Highland Park (Dallas, TX) 
    6-2.5 / 208   0.9506  104 8 16

Commit 7/9/2019.    OLB

•  Xavion Alford     Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX)  
    6-0 / 182.   0.9386   135 9 22

Commit 8/16/2019        Safety

•   Jake Majors     Prosper (Prosper, TX) 
    6-3.5 / 283   0.9307  163 5 24

Commit 1/24/2019.    OC

•  Jaylen Garth.   Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) 
    6-5 / 285    0.9248  184 18 27

Commit 2/17/2019     OT

•  Troy Omeire    Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX) 
    6-3.5 / 206    0.9244  186 33 28

Commit 9/20/2019        WR

•   Kitan Crawford.     John Tyler (Tyler, TX) 
    5-11 / 200     0.9242    187 11 29

Commit 6/21/2019.       CB

•   Jerrin Thompson.    Lufkin (Lufkin, TX) 
    6-0.5 / 183    0.9228. 194 16 31

Commit 8/11/2019       Safety

• Logan Parr.    O'Connor (Helotes, TX) 
    6-3.5 / 280    0.9061  273 11 44

Commit 10/28/2018     OG

•  Van Fillinger.    Corner Canyon (Draper, UT) 
    6-3.5 / 250    0.9037   285 13 2

Commit 7/18/2019     SDE

• Andrej Karic.    Southlake Carroll (Southlake, TX) 
    6-5 / 270   0.8959  315 25 47

Commit 7/24/2019.     OT

• Ty Jordan.     West Mesquite (Mesquite, TX) 
    5-7 / 183    0.8830   431 9 60

Commit 9/15/2019.       APB

• Jaden Hullaby.    Mansfield Timberview (Arlington, TX) 
    6-2 / 205.   0.8701   605 34 84

Commit 3/30/2019         ATH

•  Dajon Harrison.    Hutto (Hutto, TX) 
    5-10 / 170     0.8614   783 122 105

Commit 11/5/2019      WR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Fong still leaning on Collins to Texas?  What an idiot, he obviously doesn't follow this thread.. Collins is gone, despite him going to the Baylor game this weekend..or so I have been told.. Collins will be in this class..even if @closetojumping has to buy him a mustang SUV.

If you think CTJ is going to spend money on helping Tom Herman...with pretty much anything...I'm not sure you've been paying attention to his posts.

Unless of course, CTJ is paying to help Tom Herman suffer an unfortunate defenestration, which will certainly be ruled an accident. But that's pretty much it. 

• Like 1

This thread needs another 9.95er laugh...

I just went into a store not only with my shirt mis-buttoned, but also with my leggings on inside out. If you were ever curious what a reporter looks like entering week 12 of the CFB season, this is pretty much it.
10:57 AM · Nov 20, 2019

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I just went into a store not only with my shirt mis-buttoned, but also with my leggings on inside out. If you were ever curious what a reporter looks like entering week 12 of the CFB season, this is pretty much it.

Sounds like she had sex for brunch.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Quickly, take this off the board or she will screen shot it and say that her co's board would never make fun of a woman who has a mis-buttoned shirt, inside out legings as if she had to quickly leave a secret lover's apt without notice.... Be better Surly 

Recruiting podcast... Mike Roach & Bobby Burton

The State of Recruiting: Latest recruiting news, underrated recruits, and the mailbag

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Reminds me of a story about an Austin woman who was under a ton of stress at work due to pending layoffs...she came to work wearing just a blouse and panty hose. Fortunately a co-worker saw her in the parking lot and let her know she was dressed slightly inappropriately.

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you think CTJ is going to spend money on helping Tom Herman...with pretty much anything...I'm not sure you've been paying attention to his posts.

Unless of course, CTJ is paying to help Tom Herman suffer an unfortunate defenestration, which will certainly be ruled an accident. But that's pretty much it. 

Thiefery made me laugh,  but yeah, Coach Fuckface gets zero support from me. I am rooting actively for bad shit to happen to him, indiscriminately. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

just hasn't developed/improved since his sophomore season?

Yeah, he's still just an athlete. Plus, all the drama around his recruitment means a lot of staffs backed away since they didn't need to get in a bidding war for a kid who needs to be taught how to throw and will be pissy if he's not a freshman starter.

Edited by texifornia

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, he's still just an athlete. Plus, all the drama around his recruitment means a lot of staffs backed away since they didn't need to get in a bidding war for a kid who needs to be taught how to throw and will be pissy if he's not a freshman starter.

Yeah but you can bet we'll be hearing about how Texas snubbed him for the next 4 years.

11 hours ago, JBJ said:

What's his deal? He was nearly a 5-star as a sophomore and can't get offers.

He was purported by his trainers, etc as a ++ athlete at 6'3" and 195. The reality is that he had a 4.51 shuttle a 28.7 vert and a 4.74 40 all at about 158 pounds. It's a lot easier to accept some of his extraneous bullshit if he's VY/RGIII type athlete. Once teams got a look at him and interviewed him they backed off. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

His accuracy hasn’t come along and his mechanics haven’t improved since his sophomore year plus A LOT of off the field red flags. 

Focusing on his off the field red flags can't be said enough. The kid by all accounts had 3 different handlers, one of which was is overbearing, borderline insane mother. There's a fleet of helicopters surrounding this kid. 

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Only throwing short "high percentage" passes, but not doing it very well maybe?

He’s actually averaging like 21 yards per completion. It’s a total anomaly that he doesn’t have any picks. 

His stat line is so weird. He’s averaging 6 completions per game on a lot of deep throws with no picks and he only attempts about 10 throws per game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s actually averaging like 21 yards per completion. It’s a total anomaly that he doesn’t have any picks. 

His stat line is so weird. He’s averaging 6 completions per game on a lot of deep throws with no picks and he only attempts about 10 throws per game. 

Also known as the 2011 David Ash overthrow offense?

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sounds like the numbers of an old Nebraska qb or current Georgia tech qb. 
only passing as a surprise  leads to easy catches or 1 on 1 matchups downfield, or passing out of necessity like 3rd and 25 late in the game leads to incompletions. 

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'd assume having Devon Achane ready to house short completions and make them seem long on the stat line helps as well.

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sounds like the numbers of an old Nebraska qb or current Georgia tech qb. 
only passing as a surprise  leads to easy catches or 1 on 1 matchups downfield, or passing out of necessity like 3rd and 25 late in the game leads to incompletions. 

Calvin Johnson and Irving Fryar certainly helped pad those numbers.

52 minutes ago, DontCallMeSurly said:
Do we actually have interest?

As a high ceiling edge rushing prospect I'm sure Orlando has a lot of interest in lining him up to cover slot receivers.

Dorbah is already there as a B backer and he doesn't really fit their DL profile. I'd be surprised if they got involved, and bummed because it would probably mean no Collins and they're grasping at straws to replace.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2