Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 hour ago, Fud said:

For those who care, final the top 247 for 2020 comes out today, but only after 247 has a show introducing the 32 5*s at 1 pm CT

From 247 Bobby Burton:  "Tuesday"

Later today, 247Sports will release its final recruiting rankings for the class of 2020.

Texas will be well represented on the list.

But, given 28 years of experience covering recruiting professionally, I'd caution two things:

1. Fans can make any list mean too much, be that too good or too bad.

2. Lists for recruiting, in particular, are far from perfect. In other words, these individual rankings are far from an exact science, and that imperfection comes despite the best efforts of the analysts making the rankings and a lot of resources, financial and otherwise, put into making them.

You'll agree with some of the rankings. And disagree with others.

Yet, remember this...

For every five star that will sign, there will be a three star like Zach Shackelford, who ends up starting for four years.

For every Ryan Perrilloux, there will be a Colt McCoy.

For every Armanti Foreman, there will be a D'Onta Foreman, the unsung, lesser recruited brother.

For every top 25 star quarterback, odds are more than half of them will eventually transfer, according to a study recently conducted by The Athletic for the past four classes that have been completed.

It's also important to remember that rankings are snapshots in time.

The rankings released today are the same ones that will be quoted for the next several years.

But, having been the editor of these rankings for nearly 20 years previously, here's something to consider:

I often would release a final ranking list, and the very next week, I'd see or hear something about a particular player or players that would make me want to change that ranking.

Maybe a lightly regarded receiver runs a 10.7 100-meter in the first track meet of the spring. Maybe a relatively unknown offensive or defensive lineman scores 30 points in a basketball game that I got a chance to watch. Or maybe it's someone like Marcus Tillman, who despite his three-star ranking, the Texas coaching staff already felt like he was well ahead of expectations and had seen it first-hand since he was already on campus.

My point to all of this.

Take the rankings for what they are.

They are honest but imperfect evaluations. They are certainly fun to consider and discuss.

New 247 9.95er added to help cover recruiting...

MikeRoachSTAFF: " When Clint Buckley left us during the fall, I set out to find a replacement that could help take our recruiting coverage to the next level. As I surveyed the talent available in the market, I kept coming back to one person.  I’m pleased to announce that Nick Harris will be joining Horns247 in the role of recruiting reporter. While he’s still young, I’ve seen Nick in press boxes around the state over the last few years. After consulting with many trusted colleagues, it became clear that Nick would be a formidable part of the business.

Nick comes to us from HornSports which has a special place in my heart, because it’s where I began my work in the business as well. During his time in the industry, Nick also did work for The Old Coach, Friday Night Glory, and our Baylor 247 site Bears Illustrated.  I began to spend more time with Nick during the latter half of the season, and we talked about his goals and aspirations. In Nick, I saw someone with incredible work ethic and a true love for recruiting coverage. Nick constantly travels on his own dime to cover some of the top high school games in the state, and his love for Texas high school football is a bond we share.

Nick is also experienced in the world of making videos. He was responsible for shooting and editing Dajon Harrison’s commitment video, and we’ve discussed ways to expand our video platform to maximize the experience for the reader.  Nick will hit the ground running today with a story on five-star Pleasant Grove defensive end Landon Jackson.  So, I ask that you give Nick a warm welcome as he comes on board today. "

This is from the OU Open Post today on Collins.

Alfred Collins | Update
– Super K

***One of the Alabama publications is reporting via sources that Collins is down to Texas and Alabama. Based on how tightly lipped Alfred and his camp are on where things are with his recruitment, I have to assume this information was coming from a source on the Alabama side.

***If Collins is indeed telling Alabama that (and I obviously don’t know if he is) then it would probably indicate that Texas is his outright leader.

***I can tell you that I have been told Collins has made a decision. What that decision is, I do not know but as James noted earlier, there is still a fair amount of confidence on the OU side and plenty of confidence on the Texas side.

***But to be clear, no one on either side is certain one way or another. I am quite convinced Collins has a decision so the uncertainty on both sides has more to do with Collins playing things close to the vest and very little, if any, to do with Collins and family not knowing where they want to go.

***In any normal year, I would’ve maintained all along that Collins is going to Texas. It makes too much sense. Mom played there. He lives in the shadow of the stadium. His aunt works in the athletic department. He’s been on campus too many times. And the Sooners have only managed to get him up to campus twice.

***But what gives me pause is if there was ever a year Oklahoma could steal a kid like this, it would be this year. You have a massive overhaul of the defensive staff. Texas had a challenging season. And they even had some of their own players negative recruiting Texas. I know that Princely Umanmielen heard plenty of it and it’s one of the reasons I seriously doubt he ends up at Texas.

***The staff went all in on this one believing that there was/is a real shot here. So, it’s clear they see the possibility as well.

***If Thibs lands this guy, you have to tip your hat. Would be a massive get. Collins isn’t close to a finished product. He has a lot of work to do but he’d be one of the best raw talents OU has landed in a while.

***Also, as James mentioned, OU has not done an in-home visit and will not to do an in-home visit. The family has preferred not to do in-homes, rather opting to meet staffs elsewhere. Some families prefer that.

***I’m told this upcoming Tuesday it will be only Riley and Thibs for the final visit. Last Friday the entire defensive staff was in the house.

***The read I got was still uncertainty mixed with some confidence.

***I don’t anticipate any more twists and turns in this one but the reporting could go back and forth based on the pieces of information we receive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

They hired the Baylor 247 guy? You'd think Burton could have done better.

I think that guy was a generic Texas area guy on Rivals to replace Howell and then an A&M guy later. I didn't think he had particularly good insight, but he went to a lot of games and did a lot of interviews 

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Alfred Collins | Update
– Super K

***One of the Alabama publications is reporting via sources that Collins is down to Texas and Alabama. Based on how tightly lipped Alfred and his camp are on where things are with his recruitment, I have to assume this information was coming from a source on the Alabama side.

***If Collins is indeed telling Alabama that (and I obviously don’t know if he is) then it would probably indicate that Texas is his outright leader.

***I can tell you that I have been told Collins has made a decision. What that decision is, I do not know but as James noted earlier, there is still a fair amount of confidence on the OU side and plenty of confidence on the Texas side.

***But to be clear, no one on either side is certain one way or another. I am quite convinced Collins has a decision so the uncertainty on both sides has more to do with Collins playing things close to the vest and very little, if any, to do with Collins and family not knowing where they want to go.

***In any normal year, I would’ve maintained all along that Collins is going to Texas. It makes too much sense. Mom played there. He lives in the shadow of the stadium. His aunt works in the athletic department. He’s been on campus too many times. And the Sooners have only managed to get him up to campus twice.

***But what gives me pause is if there was ever a year Oklahoma could steal a kid like this, it would be this year. You have a massive overhaul of the defensive staff. Texas had a challenging season. And they even had some of their own players negative recruiting Texas. I know that Princely Umanmielen heard plenty of it and it’s one of the reasons I seriously doubt he ends up at Texas.

***The staff went all in on this one believing that there was/is a real shot here. So, it’s clear they see the possibility as well.

***If Thibs lands this guy, you have to tip your hat. Would be a massive get. Collins isn’t close to a finished product. He has a lot of work to do but he’d be one of the best raw talents OU has landed in a while.

***Also, as James mentioned, OU has not done an in-home visit and will not to do an in-home visit. The family has preferred not to do in-homes, rather opting to meet staffs elsewhere. Some families prefer that.

***I’m told this upcoming Tuesday it will be only Riley and Thibs for the final visit. Last Friday the entire defensive staff was in the house.

***I don’t anticipate any more twists and turns in this one but the reporting could go back and forth based on the pieces of information we receive.

So basically, they're holding on to hope with no real evidence 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anybody got TFB's update today on Collins, Rakestraw, and Princely?

Talking to K as he is out on the road seeing some recruits and he passed along a few notes, he may have more on this once he gets somewhere he can type…

*** 2020 DL Princely Umanmielen is coming off of his Florida visit…sounds like the visit went really well and it appears that Florida has taken the lead. Dan Mullen flew out to see Princely’s mom yesterday and while his mom has wanted him to stay close to home, it sounds like he has made quite the impression on mom.

Texas is trying to get him to take a visit this week, but as of last night, the plan was for Princely to take an official to Oregon.

Expect Herman and company to continue to push for the visit this weekend, and we will update if we hear of any changes.

*** On Alfred Collins, both Oklahoma and Texas will visit him for the final time this week. Alabama had pulled back for a while, but they have turned up the heat recently. K believes that a decision has already been made as to which way he is leaning, We are not entirely sure which direction that is at this time, but it is always hard to count out the home team.

Based on the belief that a decision has already been made, it is doubtful that these visits will change anything in that regard, but again, we will continue to monitor.

*** 2020 DB Ennis Rakestraw has reconfirmed that he will be in town for his final official visit this weekend. Rakestraw took a visit to Alabama this past weekend and sources tell us that while Saban likes him, they are not sure he is a take for Bama at this time. Missouri is also another option for him.

Either way, based on what is on campus, defensive back is not the most pressing need.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

?Que?

It's crazy that there's only 4 uncommitted guys in the current composite top 200. The vast majority of them are already signed, in fact. Two of the four are Collins and Zach Evans.

Also, what's up with TFB saying that our own players were negative recruiting us and that Umanlyman "heard it a lot"? I know that's happened some in the past but I don't recall hearing about that kind of BS this cycle.

Just now, tokamak said:

It's crazy that there's only 4 uncommitted guys in the current composite top 200. The vast majority of them are already signed, in fact. Two of the four are Collins and Zach Evans.

Also, what's up with TFB saying that our own players were negative recruiting us and that Umanlyman "heard it a lot"? I know that's happened some in the past but I don't recall hearing about that kind of BS this cycle.

Most of the WR room was in open revolt, just to start. Have to imagine a lot of the defensive players were like "have you seen this shit?" when asked about Orlando's tactics.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

For those who care, final the top 247 for 2020 comes out today, but only after 247 has a show introducing the 32 5*s at 1 pm CT

Seems like a good bet that both Bijan and Collins will be in it. 247 has a ton of National guys on site for the Army All American  game (as opposed to UA), so they got to see a lot of Collins in person for the first time in a while, or maybe ever for some of them. 

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

They hired the Baylor 247 guy? You'd think Burton could have done better.

I actually do not think Burton could do better. He had a huge crush on that Baylor apologist piece of trash who left for the Baylor spinoff site and then he hired EJ and Roach the next two times. 

45 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Alfred Collins | Update
– Super K

JFC this is just pitiful stuff. The TFB guys on the Texas side are pretty reasonable, but the all the OU write ups are just painfully homerish. 

34 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Talking to K as he is out on the road seeing some recruits and he passed along a few notes, he may have more on this once he gets somewhere he can type…

*** 2020 DL Princely Umanmielen is coming off of his Florida visit…sounds like the visit went really well and it appears that Florida has taken the lead. Dan Mullen flew out to see Princely’s mom yesterday and while his mom has wanted him to stay close to home, it sounds like he has made quite the impression on mom.

Texas is trying to get him to take a visit this week, but as of last night, the plan was for Princely to take an official to Oregon.

Expect Herman and company to continue to push for the visit this weekend, and we will update if we hear of any changes.

*** On Alfred Collins, both Oklahoma and Texas will visit him for the final time this week. Alabama had pulled back for a while, but they have turned up the heat recently. K believes that a decision has already been made as to which way he is leaning, We are not entirely sure which direction that is at this time, but it is always hard to count out the home team.

Based on the belief that a decision has already been made, it is doubtful that these visits will change anything in that regard, but again, we will continue to monitor.

*** 2020 DB Ennis Rakestraw has reconfirmed that he will be in town for his final official visit this weekend. Rakestraw took a visit to Alabama this past weekend and sources tell us that while Saban likes him, they are not sure he is a take for Bama at this time. Missouri is also another option for him.

Either way, based on what is on campus, defensive back is not the most pressing need.

For 2020, sure, but we’ve taken 3 guys outside CB in 2019 and 2020, and the only  other guys with any potential to play nickel CB are J. Thompson and maybe Adimora, though he’s a better safety fit. Either way, I wouldn’t say taking 4 guys in 2 years who can play any of the 3 CB spots in your base defense means we don’t have a pressing need. We absolutely need a good CB2 in this class. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

For 2020, sure, but we’ve taken 3 guys outside CB in 2019 and 2020, and the only  other guys with any potential to play nickel CB are J. Thompson and maybe Adimora, though he’s a better safety fit. Either way, I wouldn’t say taking 4 guys in 2 years who can play any of the 3 CB spots in your base defense means we don’t have a pressing need. We absolutely need a good CB2 in this class. 

Yeah I thought that was strange. Rakestraw is close to a need get, considering we seem to have passed on engaging Whitley.

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

It was reported that this was specifically Javonne, though both he and Princely disputed it on social media.

Princely was also quoted in the spring as feeling like "one of the guys" and pretty close to some of the current players due to proximity. It's not unreasonable to think that the mid-season team frustrations were shared with him, so it could be anyone/everyone. 

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

As Tex said, the entire WR room was trashing their coach and half were and might still be transfer risks. Shepherd was definitely negatively recruiting us after he threatened to kill Yancey McKnight. It was pretty bad. 

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Most of the WR room was in open revolt, just to start. Have to imagine a lot of the defensive players were like "have you seen this shit?" when asked about Orlando's tactics.

That and there were multiple reports of the upstanding young man with a 0.0 GPA directly negative recruiting Princely. Great way to repay the University for giving him a scholarship he didn’t deserve. Fuck him. He’s the Drew Mehringer of players, except without all the douche hipster looks of course.

Either way, I’d have been fine with him in the class but I’m also fine with him going elsewhere He’s a pretty decent attrition risk and his ceiling as a player isn’t as high as you’d like for that risk. He’s basically the Mendoza Line of risk/reward in a recruit for Texas.

Plus, with Dorbah playing the hybrid DE/OLB role, we have 4 takes on the DL for this class with 3 being blue chippers. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

I am actually higher on Umanlymanishman than pretty much anyone I've spoken to or read. I think he's a victim of having a low starting point with expectations and people are overrating the need for top end quickness at his position. I don't think he's going to be elite, but I do think he can achieve Cedric Woodard levels or better, and that would be a highly productive strongside DE player. He's big, quick enough, strong, nasty, and smart. Time will tell. I'd rather have him than watch him kick ass at Florida. I've seen most people view him as basically a high end "meh", my friends that are involved with this stuff included. I'm interested to see things unfold.

That said, I can also see him being damn near a given to leave quickly from his first landing spot. There's a decent-sized flake factor with him. One thing is certain, and this is absurd to consider, but if I had a choice between sending my kid to play for Tom Herman and Dan Mullen, I'd do one of: encourage the kid to flee the country; join the military; or sign with Tom Herman. Dan Mullen is a scumbag and has the ethics of a KGB operative.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That said, I can also see him being damn near a given to leave quickly from his first landing spot. There's a decent-sized flake factor with him. One thing is certain, and this is absurd to consider, but if I had a choice between sending my kid to play for Tom Herman and Dan Mullen, I'd do one of: encourage the kid to flee the country; join the military; or sign with Tom Herman. Dan Mullen is a scumbag and has the ethics of a KGB operative.

What? noooooo

(also, hah, SI never fixed the url)

https://www.si.com/college/video/2016/03/27/mississippi-state-rebels-signee-video-assault-jeffery-simmons