Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

If I had to bet, 2020 day one OL is one of these two:

Cosmi - Imade - Kerstetter - Angilau - Okafor

Cosmi - Okafor - Kerstetter - Angilau - Jones

Knowing how much the staff values continuity, I don't see them putting two new guys right next to one another by moving Angilau to LG.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If I had to bet, 2020 day one OL is one of these two:

Cosmi - Imade - Kerstetter - Angilau - Okafor

Cosmi - Okafor - Kerstetter - Angilau - Jones

Knowing how much the staff values continuity, I don't see them putting two new guys right next to one another by moving Angilau to LG.

Angilau is a beast 

Edited by Coach pop a bitch

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We’ll probably need Kerstetter at LT next year, unfortunately. I hadn’t really considered Angilau at center.
Kerstetter - Johnson - Angilau - Okafor - Jones ..... in that scenario.

There is no world where we play Kerstetter at LT and have success. We'd probably go GT at that point.

• Fuck You 2

23 hours ago, Goodman said:

Can't stop watching Junior and Braun on that play, they are fucking dudes up.

wow, watched this play at least 20 times and didn't notice Junior until you mentioned.  fucking mauling it... pancakes the huge DT at the very end of the clip. looked like a pass pro concept.  on top of that, it was pretty much a 1v1 battle that freed Shackelford to block an LB at the next level.  if Junior weren't able to block that well, he'd likely get support from Shack, who wouldn't be able to block at the next level. 

we're getting there yeaaahhh 

Edited by The Whistler

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

There is no world where we play Kerstetter at LT and have success. We'd probably go GT at that point.

I'm leaning  that way.  I would say that Kerstetter showed promise as a true  freshman tackle, over Cosmi who were in the same class*  It allowed Cosmi to RS his Freshman Year while Kerstetter showed a promising future at a true FR starter at RT*

*this could be completely wrong, going from memory

Edited by The Whistler

I’m assuming you haven’t watched any of the 2019 season yet. That’s the only reasonable explanation for this take.

7 minutes ago, The Whistler said:

I'm leaning  that way.  I would say that Kerstetter showed promise as a true  freshman tackle, over Cosmi who were in the same class*  It allowed Cosmi to RS his Freshman Year while Kerstetter showed a promising future at a true FR starter at RT*

Is this English? I’m not even sure what you’re trying to say. 

my memory if fading but I think Cosmi and Kerstetter were in the same class. Kerstetter started as a true freshman while Cosmi got to redshirt.

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

Kerstetter started at tackle as a true Freshman. He played better than most thought he would. Cosmi arrived in the same class but redshirted. I think that’s the translation.

My man

Relax, it was hyperbole.

Kerstetter has looked good to very good so far this year at RT, I also appreciate the fact that he offers Hand the versatility to mix and match OL better.

I'd rather take a presumably minor hit at LT to have a steadying force across the rest of the line. 

If that minor hit is not available, then I believe we'll have a tough year at OL.

I'm sure a senior Sam and Herman could get the offense to work with a less than stellar OL, but it will be tough sledding.

Hopefully Cosmi comes back, and we won't have to worry about it.

9 hours ago, The Whistler said:

Kertstetter was the more physically ready to play as a true freshman. Cosmi needed to beef up. While Kertstetter got valuable experience being thrown into the fire, I think it attenuated his development. That's not to say that Kertstetter has the same athletic upside of Cosmi, but Kertstetter has made a large leap from last season to this one. Watch the first clip below in the tweet about Cosmi. Kertstetter pulls to lead block on the left side and does so beautifully. Angilau whiffs, but fortunately so does the edge rusher due to Ehlinger doing Ehlinger. Cosmi folds his block inside taking down the defender, but unfortunately Parker Braun also goes down in the process, which frees LSU #72 to trip Ehlinger up. The chaos in that mass of bodies illustrates how easy it is for lineman to get injured.

If Cosmi is a surefire first rounder, first or second OT off the board type, then he's gone. Not much you can do about that. It's a good problem to have, especially thinking about where this group was two years ago.

Anything less and I would hope he returns another year to make a run at some hardware, play it out with his 2017 guys, ane be a first round lock. At face value he seems like the type to take that route but obviously I don't know him or his family's circumstances.

I have heard it said that OL, like QBs, tend to benefit most from a fourth year in college (I'd guess because most don't play their first few years) but I can't find any links to back that up with data after a quick Google search. At face value it makes sense - OL is hard to evaluate, guys with bigger sample sizes of high level play probably have a higher hit rate.

If Cosmi declares, I'd think they let Johnson, Shep, and Moore fight it out at LT as opposed to plugging in Kerstetter. You want that veteran presence at C if you can have it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet." - W. Wolf

The O-line is damned sure improved from last season. But... see above.

The dick-sucking can commence when we see our team scoring on 1st and Goal regularly, with the entire D buried five yards deep in the end zone.

38 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep...bring the pain O-line.  Run these turd-fucks over

source.gif

This does remind me that the Texas Longhorns can exorcise another ghost of bitchassedness past on Saturday.

The 2010 game against Rice in Reliant Stadium was the day the Longhorn Nation knew we had an actual problem that couldn't be ignored. The first quarter featured a 14 play Rice drive that ended with a FG. The Texas drive was 12 plays. It covered 57 yards. It ended with a TURNOVER ON DOWNS!!!

Read this link: https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=302470242

Pay special attention to the part with "1st and goal from the Rice 4", "2nd and goal from the Rice 3", "3rd and goal from the Rice 1", "4th and goal from the Rice 1", "Cody Johnson runs for a loss of 4 yards"

It's your obligation as a Longhorn fan to realize that, one game after playing Alabama for a National Championship, we could not run for 4 yards in 4 tries against the Rice Owls! It's your obligation because we forgot this once. We thought that the Burnt Orange logo would make the other team move.

How many players watched their talented futures crash on the Forty Acres in the ensuing seasons? How many TVs were destroyed by beer bottles?

It happened once. It will happen again, unless you, yes YOU, realize the value of having really big angry men on the roster who like slamming people into the ground!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

This does remind me that the Texas Longhorns can exorcise another ghost of bitchassedness past on Saturday.

The 2010 game against Rice in Reliant Stadium was the day the Longhorn Nation knew we had an actual problem that couldn't be ignored. The first quarter featured a 14 play Rice drive that ended with a FG. The Texas drive was 12 plays. It covered 57 yards. It ended with a TURNOVER ON DOWNS!!!

Read this link: https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=302470242

Pay special attention to the part with "1st and goal from the Rice 4", "2nd and goal from the Rice 3", "3rd and goal from the Rice 1", "4th and goal from the Rice 1", "Cody Johnson runs for a loss of 4 yards"

It's your obligation as a Longhorn fan to realize that, one game after playing Alabama for a National Championship, we could not run for 4 yards in 4 tries against the Rice Owls! It's your obligation because we forgot this once. We thought that the Burnt Orange logo would make the other team move.

How many players watched their talented futures crash on the Forty Acres in the ensuing seasons? How many TVs were destroyed by beer bottles?

It happened once. It will happen again, unless you, yes YOU, realize the value of having really big angry men on the roster who like slamming people into the ground!

The beginning of the "dark days".  Yeah, I was there.  Squints was a mess.  O-line was a mess.  Trey was our RB.  Lost a ton of talented players from the '08 and '09 teams.  A long and painful slide.  They were leading in the first quarter by a FG

On 9/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, gmr548 said:

I have to think Okafor slides into one of the two vacated spots. The staff gave him a lot of first team run in the spring/fall and he's the current sixth man. 

I also think Cosmi comes back unless he gets a clear cut first round grade. I don't know this year's OT draft class well enough to say whether or not that's likely. OL, like QBs, tend to better in the NFL when they stay for that fourth year. Obviously he can't say no to surefire first round money, but absent that I think he'll be back because that'd absolutely be in the cards if he came out as a RS JR.

Really tired of our guys leaving early and not living up to the hype. Pretty much the same things we were hearing about Williams a few years ago.

Really tired of our guys leaving early and not living up to the hype. Pretty much the same things we were hearing about Williams a few years ago.

Connor Williams absolutely would have benefited from returning because of his injury situation, and because the Gilbert offense that he really shined in was very easy on OL. That was known at the time.

Also, I don't follow the Cowboys but my understanding is that they played him at G. That's a pretty good way to minimize his strengths and highlight his weaknesses. He's not an NFL guard.

Lastly, it's a long season, but early returns are that Cosmi is looking better at LT than Connor Williams. Williams never had a game like Cosmi just had against LSU. I agree that Cosmi stands to benefit from returning absent guaranteed first round status but I don't think the situations are comparable.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Connor Williams absolutely would have benefited from returning because of his injury situation, and because the Gilbert offense that he really shined in was very easy on OL. That was known at the time.

Also, I don't follow the Cowboys but my understanding is that they played him at G. That's a pretty good way to minimize his strengths and highlight his weaknesses. He's not an NFL guard.

Lastly, it's a long season, but early returns are that Cosmi is looking better at LT than Connor Williams. Williams never had a game like Cosmi just had against LSU. I agree that Cosmi stands to benefit from returning absent guaranteed first round status but I don't think the situations are comparable.

They are very comparable and I was all on board the Cosmi recruiting take and have been a big fan every since, but I think most should stay for three years. We aren't the only ones that have kids leave early to fall out early in there career. It not only helps the football player, but the person as well.

50 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Connor’s  position in the NFL is guard because he doesn’t have long enough arms to play tackle. Cosmi is taller and has longer arms.

Edited by Sandlot

1 hour ago, ckhorn said:

Cosmi had zero hype.  He was a 260 lb low 3-star coming out of HS.  Composite had him #155 in Texas and NR (outside the top 1,000 or so) nationally.  I would LOVE to see what this staff could do with a Connor Williams-type elite OT prototype.  Maybe in a year or two after Tyler Johnson has a chance to RS and develop.

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

Cosmi had zero hype.  He was a 260 lb low 3-star coming out of HS.  Composite had him #155 in Texas and NR (outside the top 1,000 or so) nationally.  I would LOVE to see what this staff could do with a Connor Williams-type elite OT prototype.  Maybe in a year or two after Tyler Johnson has a chance to RS and develop.

You are right, but his athletic ability was terrific from the limited film I had seen. He looked more like an athletic TE, than a Tackle in HS.

Terrific eval by the Houston Cougar staff.

9 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

The hype he is getting after a few games. In College.

Edited by ckhorn

26 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

What's the story on who/how Texas staff found Cosmi?

giphy.gif

(Damn autocorrect keeps changing Cosmi to Cosmo...)

Edited by LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Connor was a three star, too: https://247sports.com/Player/Connor-Williams-37035/

Edited by texifornia