Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Cosmi is the best player on the team, and he should be the best NFL prospect.  He has just annihilated people throughout both of the first two games.   I hope he comes back, but I wouldn’t count on it.  He should get the best draft grade of any player we’ve had since Earl Thomas.

We may need to start lining up grad transfer options at OT.

We knew Parker Braun was mobile and would maul defenders as a pulling guard.  But I've also been quite impressed with his pass protection so far.  Good technique, keeps the guy in front of him and moves his feet instead of reaching.  That development is a real credit to his work ethic and the coaching from Herb Hand.

• Like 3

Good God, I could watch these clips of Braun and Cosmi on repeat for a week straight. Just incredible to see. How long has it been since a UT OL could just maul DL like this? These guys should really dominate Big 12 defenses and will be the key to consistently scoring in games that turn into shootouts.

7 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

We knew Parker Braun was mobile and would maul defenders as a pulling guard.  But I've also been quite impressed with his pass protection so far.  Good technique, keeps the guy in front of him and moves his feet instead of reaching.  That development is a real credit to his work ethic and the coaching from Herb Hand.

I could tell from his GA Tech film last year that he had the ability to anchor, but his technique was off and I wasn’t sure how long it would take him to fix it. He clearly worked his ass off this offseason, because he has great technique this year. Good for him.  His film this year is going to get him drafted. 

21 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I expected this from Cosmi, I think we all did. Kerstetter looked very solid himself Saturday night however. I did not expect that level of play through 2 weeks from him.

I wouldn't count Cosmi as gone though. There's still a chance as a RS Sophomore he could stick around for another year.

He could return, but it's a sign of health for the program if guys are starting to leave early b/c of 1st round draft grades. 

Captain Obvious here, but the most successful programs in the country routinely have multiple players declare early for the draft and hopefully we'll be no different very soon.

I miss the good ole days of Nickelson/Vahe/Cuney/McMillon/Kerstetter

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

All the OL angst we saw in the offseason really underrated how well Braun would fit in our scheme and overrated the loss of Vahe

I’m so impressed with our OL.  These guys are athletic, strong, and quick.  Cosmi is playing like a top 10 pick.  Do not under estimate his performance last Saturday.  He made those LSU nfl DL his bitch pancake after pancake.  

We are finally recruiting towards a system. They look for lean guys that have quick feet with a broad shoulder where they can pack on weight.  Cosmi, Jones, Moore, Hookfin, Karin are all in that same mold.  Shepherd is the exception but he is an absolute freak athlete for his size. They have a prototype they like and they let Yancy do his work during their redshirt year and Hand has got these guys executing at an elite level.  There’s not a DL that will compare to LSU on our schedule.  

36 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Good stats. Our OL has been great. I also think they’re getting unfairly punished on some of the sack rate stuff. Against LA Tech and first half LSU, Sam held the ball too long on some of the sacks, especially when LA Tech was blitzing out of Cover 0. 

Our power success rate will probably improve as we face non-LSU teams, though it’s not our strongest facet. We need to run power plays to the left side more.

sure it’s already been done multiple times but if cosmi returns in 2020 and kerstetter moves to C are we looking at 

cosmi-angilau-kerstetter-okafor-jones?

cosmi-angilau-kerstetter-shepherd-jones?

cosmi-angilau-kerstetter-tyler-johnson?

will be interesting to see which bench players take the next step.  losing braun will hurt but I’d imagine kerstetter will be an upgrade in the middle.  with cosmi back and another year of coaching, offseason of yancy, this unit will only get better.  considering they’re already pretty good is very gruntling. 

Edited by futureman

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

sure it’s already been done multiple times but if cosmi returns in 2020 and kerstetter moves to C are we looking at 

will be interesting to see which bench players take the next step.

I have to think Okafor slides into one of the two vacated spots. The staff gave him a lot of first team run in the spring/fall and he's the current sixth man. 

I also think Cosmi comes back unless he gets a clear cut first round grade. I don't know this year's OT draft class well enough to say whether or not that's likely. OL, like QBs, tend to better in the NFL when they stay for that fourth year. Obviously he can't say no to surefire first round money, but absent that I think he'll be back because that'd absolutely be in the cards if he came out as a RS JR.

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

will be interesting to see which bench players take the next step.  losing braun will hurt but I’d imagine kerstetter will be an upgrade in the middle.  with cosmi back and another year of coaching, offseason of yancy, this unit will only get better.  considering they’re already pretty good is very gruntling. 

If Tyler Johnson is able to lock down RG AND RT, I’ll be extremely impressed.

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2019 at 2:31 PM, HtownHorn said:

Damn he caved in the entire right side of the LSU DL. 

Angilau couldn't get to Chaisson, but he was so juiced to make a play, he over ran it.

Chaisson is the anti-Ossai. He did not over run shit, he wanted no part of what we were doing that night.

Edited by Goodman

Damn the speed and pursuit of LSU's defense was on full display in that 3rd clip. Sam was run down from behind by they guy that was being blocked by Cosmi. Otherwise, Delpit was going to get his shit knocked to ground again by Ehlinger, which would have been the 3rd time on that drive alone.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Damn the speed and pursuit of LSU's defense was on full display in that 3rd clip. Sam was run down from behind by they guy that was being blocked by Cosmi. Otherwise, Delpit was going to get his shit knocked to ground again by Ehlinger, which would have been the 3rd time on that drive alone.

Can't stop watching Junior and Braun on that play, they are fucking dudes up.

Each year since Herman arrived, one young OL has really stepped up.  In year 1 it was Kerstetter as a true freshman.  With that rotating MASH unit up front, I hate to think how much worse things could have been without his ability to play multiple positions.  In year 2 it was RS freshman Cosmi playing at a high level.  Now in year 3 we are treated to RS freshman Angilau looking really good and an experienced newcomer Braun seriously improving a previously neglected part of his game in pass pro.

Virtually everyone is now redshirting and overall program health is much better.  That should give the 2nd team O-Line a fair amount of live game experience against the weaker teams on the schedule.  We saw a good bit of it against LA Tech.  The backup OL played the 4th Q: Urquidez, Ghirmai, Okafor, Imade and Christian Jones got valuable snaps.  That luxury just wasn't on the menu in years 1 and 2.

38 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I think it was the first play Braun ended up downfield near the bench and absolutely buried Divinity's dick into the dirt.

I love that we have a nasty oline

It was Shack. I posted the streamable of it three posts up. Braun did have a good block in the second level on that play though. 

Shack got beat really badly once on a play that should have been a sack if Sam hadn't spun out of it, and he gave up two sacks on stunts, though it's hard to assign him full blame on stunts because it requires communication from multiple guys. I'd expect that to improve as he gels with two new starters flanking him. That said, I thought he looked really good outside of those three plays. His strength and play in space seems to be a lot better than it used to be. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

40 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It was Shack. I posted the streamable of it three posts up. Braun did have a good block in the second level on that play though. 

Shack got beat really badly once on a play that should have been a sack if Sam hadn't spun out of it, and he gave up two sacks on stunts, though it's hard to assign him full blame on stunts because it requires communication from multiple guys. I'd expect that to improve as he gels with two new starters flanking him. That said, I thought he looked really good outside of those three plays. His strength and play in space seems to be a lot better than it used to be. 

Seeing as that Shack played next to Vahe for the first three years of his career, he should be really used to not getting any help from the guard on stunts.