Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 5:28 PM, Magus Ossis said:

So guys available by year (and on roster but still first year) are:

19: Shack, Braun, Oak, Kerstetter, Imade, Cosmi, Angilau, Ghirmai, Jones, Moore,  (Hookfin, Johnson, Shepherd, Tyler)

20: Oak, Kerstetter, Imade, Cosmi, Angilau, Ghirmai, Jones, Moore, Hookfin, Johnson, Shepherd, Tyler, (Majors, Parr, Garth, ?Lind, ?George)

21: Angilau, Ghirmai, Jones, Moore, Hookfin, Johnson, Shepherd, Tyler, Garth, Majors, Parr, ?Lind, ?George, (?Brock)

Depending on maturation and hit rates, we might not want/need a GT next year. We look like we will be turning over a lot of starting positions in 21. If Brock is already arguably better than the guys in the year ahead of him, might he play some as a true freshman in 21 despite having a lot of guys on the roster? This chart assumes everybody but Urquidez (chaff) and Cosmi (NFL) stay.

Solid List....

My guess at starting O-line...

Cosmi- Braun- Shack- Okafor- Kerstetter

• 2 months later...

We've only seen a couple of Tom Herman's recruits at this position hitting the field so far.  Cosmi and Kerstetter have performed well above their recruiting service rankings.  I'm really looking forward to what the 2018 OL can do now that they've had a chance to redshirt and learn how the position is played at Texas.

16 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

We've only seen a couple of Tom Herman's recruits at this position hitting the field so far.  Cosmi and Kerstetter have performed well above their recruiting service rankings.  I'm really looking forward to what the 2018 OL can do now that they've had a chance to redshirt and learn how the position is played at Texas.

I’m not sure we’ll see much of them until next year other than Angilau. The others all seem unlikely to play unless multiple injuries hit. 

14 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

For the first time since maybe 2007-2008, we have good depth.  It took 10 damn years to unfuck the roster mismanagement  by Mack.  I love that every OL redshirts and spends a year with Yancy before ever touching the field for meaningful minutes.  At one point we had 6 scholarship OL and it was 4 years ago that we started two true freshman OL at LT and LG because he had no one worth shirt.  

Herman, Hand, and Yancy have a plan and are recruiting to it.  It feels fucking good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 2:22 PM, victory88 said:

If Cosmi stays, next years line is going to be very fucking good.

Cosmi- Angilau-Kerstter-Okafor-Jones

With guys that should be 1-2 years in the system with Johnson, Hookfin, Shepherd, Moore, Imade, Tyler, Ghirmai

I think Cosmi’s staying is a pipe dream. If somehow he does, we may be scary good.

Just now, Magus Ossis said:

I think Cosmi’s staying is a pipe dream. If somehow he does, we may be scary good.

It would suck to lose him, but there’s a lot worse things that could happen to this program than placing a LT in the first round. Certainly wouldn’t hurt us with the litany of top 100 OL in the 2021 class.

I’d bet we could find two solid tackles out of Okafor, Kerstetter, Jones, Moore, Hookfin, Johnson, and Shepherd.

Damn, it’s nice to finally have some solid OL depth in the program.

Just now, Red Five said:

Kerstetter wasn't even listed as an OT on the depth chart, right? Did they just want to motivate Okafor for as long as possible?

Official Depth chart is meaningless. Kerstetter can play all five positions and he and Okafor both repped at RT all offseason. I think it’s moreso the staff thinks Angilau is a better RG than Okafor is a RT. 

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah I get it, I just think it's kind of funny. "No really guys, Okafor is our RT! Seriously! Don't believe us? Ok, well you just wait... " (Kerstetter starts at RT and plays there the entire first half).

Yeah, the only people who take press conferences and official depth charts at face value are employed by the AAS or Fat Ketch.

It would be annoying to have an evaluation and development go so right that you only get 2 years from the player. 

But I guess most OL should only be playing 2 years in a healthy program, and we just had to get him out there a year early out of necessity. 

Placing 1st round picks is a nice consolation, and hopefully it’s not a one of deal and the guys behind him like Moore and jones and shepherd and Johnson can also play at a high level. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

OL staying for their fourth year tend to do a lot better in the league, similar to QBs. Obviously he has to go if he's a consensus first rounder but if that isn't the case Is expect him to give it serious thought. Because he certainly would be after an additional year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Should we expect Cosmi to enter the draft after the season?  Dude owned Chaisson last night.  Angilau and Kerstetter had solid games as well.  This unit should be able to push around everyone from here on out.  Amazing how this group looks compared to 2 years ago and before that.  

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1

Just now, Texasrocks said:

I saw Chaisson get pancaked more than I saw him making plays. I think he got a sack at the end of the first half and made a stop on a run play in the second. I didn't hear his name other than that.

He was pretty much nonexistent save for a few plays here and there. He wasn't bad, but he was far from "dominant".

17 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I saw Chaisson get pancaked more than I saw him making plays. I think he got a sack at the end of the first half and made a stop on a run play in the second. I didn't hear his name other than that.

He had 5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL and forced 2 holding penalties on our drive that’s red around 9:00 in the 4th. He was definitely their most impactful rusher, but he was good not great. As a lot of us expected, Cosmi ate him up almost every time he faced him except for a holding penalty.