Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

On 9/14/2019 at 9:31 AM, texifornia said:

Fair, but I was mostly pointing out he wasn't a Tyler Johnson-style obvious can't miss stud.

True.  Just the closest thing we had under the prior regime IIRC.  Unfortunately the injury situation kept us from seeing what Herman could do with Conner in the one year he had him.

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

The failed 4th down attempt was an abortion of a play. They were all looking at each other and at the sideline, then they eventually get set with a body language indicating that they had no idea what to do.

Yeah, that has bitten Herman in the ass several times. We hurry up and run straight into eight defenders with five blockers.

19 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Yeah, that has bitten Herman in the ass several times. We hurry up and run straight into eight defenders with five blockers.

herman is just weird there. costs us points in almost every god damn game

also, Sam, what is he doing not getting out of these plays? is he told no matter what to not audible?  wtf is going in here. 

OSU game should have been 45 - 17 or so. Not 36 - 30 or whatever the fuck it was. we are too good of an offense to just fuck up that bad in critial situations

love me the oline. best online in conference. watching them punish motherfuckers makes football happy again 

Rewatching OSU it became clear just how dominant the O-Line was.  The left side got caved in frequently using straight zone.  On power and counter the pullers were blowing open huge holes with their kickout blocks.  The Cowboys rarely got penetration, as reflected by only 3 TFLs (each for 1 yd) and ZERO sacks.  I was a bit surprised that Texas averaged only 5.0 YPC but looking at the stats, the 2 kneel downs in victory formation took the YPC from 5.4 to 5.0 and the former is more reflective of what the OL did on Saturday.

13 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Rewatching OSU it became clear just how dominant the O-Line was.  The left side got caved in frequently using straight zone.  On power and counter the pullers were blowing open huge holes with their kickout blocks.  The Cowboys rarely got penetration, as reflected by only 3 TFLs (each for 1 yd) and ZERO sacks.  I was a bit surprised that Texas averaged only 5.0 YPC but looking at the stats, the 2 kneel downs in victory formation took the YPC from 5.4 to 5.0 and the former is more reflective of what the OL did on Saturday.

Good observations. Actually, OSU did a better job open field tackling than we did. YPC could have been higher if they hadn’t done a pretty good job of bringing our runners down after they breached the LOS. 

LOS is great, but it seems like 2nd level blocking isn’t there to allow for long runs. Our rbs might get through the line fairly clean but always are met by next level defenders and have to fight and break tackles to get a 20 yard run. 

Is that a product of how we block, of how defenses play against us, bad luck?

is that the next step the OL or offense needs to take?

The 4th down abortion was ugly-- we hurried up but not enough to get the play before OSU was ready. That should have been stopped with a time-out and fixed. The other play I saw going nowhere was mid Q4 I think. Empty set on 3rd and short. It screamed "Sam is keeping with no lead blocker" before the snap to me, and apparently to the entire OSU defense as well. There is a time to get cute and set up future plays. When the run game is working and you need a short gain is not that time.

6 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The 4th down abortion was ugly-- we hurried up but not enough to get the play before OSU was ready. That should have been stopped with a time-out and fixed. The other play I saw going nowhere was mid Q4 I think. Empty set on 3rd and short. It screamed "Sam is keeping with no lead blocker" before the snap to me, and apparently to the entire OSU defense as well. There is a time to get cute and set up future plays. When the run game is working and you need a short gain is not that time.

Yeah, both times OSU our number sin the box and we failed to check out and throw it or motion a guy in.

I couldn’t believe they didn’t audible either time.

If you’re gonna go empty and OSU keeps numbers in the box, then you either have to throw it or motion a blocker in. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, both times OSU our number sin the box and we failed to check out and throw it or motion a guy in.

I couldn’t believe they didn’t audible either time.

If you’re gonna go empty and OSU keeps numbers in the box, then you either have to throw it or motion a blocker in. 

Hopefully Scipio's hunch about Herman's self-castigating in the press conference checks out, and it means he realizes we need to have a second option available on those kinds of plays.

I watched almost all of Braun’s games while he was a student at Hallsville. He was a nasty player then that had no regards for the feelings of the person he was blocking. He went full tilt  to the whistle and a little past.

He was a transfer in from Florida and some of the fans did not necessarily care for some of his play because he did not abide by all of the standard “rules” of the Texas high school style of play.

i like to think that his mauling style of play has been infectious to the others on the OL.

He is a pleasure to watch.

• Like 1

I don’t think this stat is available for individual games, but Texas’ Offensive Line Yards against OSU must’ve been really high. We had runners going 4-5 yards without contact all the time in that game.  On the season, we’re ranked 29th, but I’d guess the LSU game is bringing that stat down quite a bit. We struggled to create a ton of rushing yardage that game, but our OL’s been great in the other 3 games and wont face a DL like LSU for the rest of the season.

25 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I watched almost all of Braun’s games while he was a student at Hallsville. He was a nasty player then that had no regards for the feelings of the person he was blocking. He went full tilt  to the whistle and a little past.

He was a transfer in from Florida and some of the fans did not necessarily care for some of his play because he did not abide by all of the standard “rules” of the Texas high school style of play.

i like to think that his mauling style of play has been infectious to the others on the OL.

He is a pleasure to watch.

TXHSFB is soft confirmed

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think this stat is available for individual games, but Texas’ Offensive Line Yards against OSU must’ve been really high. We had runners going 4-5 yards without contact all the time in that game.  On the season, we’re ranked 29th, but I’d guess the LSU game is bringing that stat down quite a bit. We struggled to create a ton of rushing yardage that game, but our OL’s been great in the other 3 games and wont face a DL like LSU for the rest of the season.

And here's the ranks for teams on the schedule based on line yards for the DL-

WV (#120)

OU (#97)

Kansas (#103)

TCU (#8)

K-State (#69)

ISU (#24)

Baylor (#12)

Tech (#50)

We should be able to pound teams in the run game. The only two decent DL we have left on the schedule are TCU and ISU. Baylor has played UTSA, Rice and SFA so ignore their ranking. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

And here's the ranks for teams on the schedule based on line yards for the DL-

WV (#120)

OU (#97)

Kansas (#103)

TCU (#8)

K-State (#69)

ISU (#24)

Baylor (#12)

Tech (#50)

We should be able to pound teams in the run game. The only two decent DL we have left on the schedule are TCU and ISU. Baylor has played UTSA, Rice and SFA so ignore their ranking. 

I expect TCU’s defense to give us a lot of trouble, though I didn’t watch the SMU game, so maybe there’s some exploitable weaknesses there we can prey on.  Plus, our defense should be able to shut down their offense, much like last year. Same goes for ISU.

Baylor’s numbers are undoubtedly inflated due to their joke of a schedule so far.  I bet they’ll be solid against the run but nowhere near #12 by end of year. They’ll probably be the third toughest run D we face after TCU.

Overall though, we should expect 5 YPC in just about every game we play thanks to this OL. Cosmi and Braun have been caving in their side of the line consistently, and it leads to massive cutback lanes when we run OZ to the right.

21 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

This will be corrected. Me hope.

I know it's early and we're just getting into the meat of the schedule, but..

If these boys continue playing this way it may go down as one of the best Texas o-lines ever. I mean, Sam has been rarely harrased this year, even by LSU..and seems running holes are a few inches larger as well.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

2005 O-line was the best in the country.

Counterpoint: in 2005 the play of the o-line was greatly aided by having superman at QB. That dude put so much pressure on defenses that they spent half the time shitting on their pants.

• Like 1