Popeye's chicken sandwich

Mojo Hand

Went to Popeyes today and over the picture of the sandwich on the menu it says "Be back soon". 

I'm in the intentional shortage camp, but I think it'll bite them in the ass because they're taking too long. Everyone forgets in a matter of days in this society. They should have waited no longer than a week to let social media demand build but they've taken weeks. 

They aren't losing too much brand goodwill. They have their customer base. That sandwich was just adding new customers, and judging from the new customers I saw, once they were done Instagramming their sandwiches, they weren't going back.

They were probably losing money selling it. I imagine the profit margin is higher selling chicken by the piece. Those lines were chasing off their regular customers. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

My guess is that every chicken option there is really about selling sides and sodas, which have the highest margin by far.  They were selling a ton of those marked-up empty calories with the sandwiches.   And if the goal of the sandwiches wasn't to bring in new customers who would otherwise go to Chick-fil-A, what was the point?   They came out with a sandwich many if not most people think is better than Chick-fil-A's, but have cemented an impression that you won't get your sandwich quickly (or at all) if you choose Popeyes.  That's a wasted opportunity, IMO. 

6 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

My guess is that every chicken option there is really about selling sides and sodas, which have the highest margin by far.  They were selling a ton of those marked-up empty calories with the sandwiches.   And if the goal of the sandwiches wasn't to bring in new customers who would otherwise go to Chick-fil-A, what was the point?   They came out with a sandwich many if not most people think is better than Chick-fil-A's, but have cemented an impression that you won't get your sandwich quickly (or at all) if you choose Popeyes.  That's a wasted opportunity, IMO. 

I don't think they fully expected it to blow up like it did. It had been on the menu for at least a month at the one by me, and nobody was ordering it. Suddenly, social media kicked in and it got out of control.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I really don't give a shit what you believe.  Apparently this is reason #1,568,109 that Houston area > Dallas.

I live in Houston and eat at Popeyes every single day and I can confirm that they did not offer the chicken sandwich in December. So now that we’ve confirmed that Fudge Nuggets (if that is even his real name) is a fucking liar, the question becomes who put him up to it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I live in Houston and eat at Popeyes every single day and I can confirm that they did not offer the chicken sandwich in December. So now that we’ve confirmed that Fudge Nuggets (if that is even his real name) is a fucking liar, the question becomes who put him up to it?

I guess it was January because I had one last time I was here... which was from mid-December to early January.  Also it was up in The Woodlands, not sure if that makes fuck all difference

24 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess it was January because I had one last time I was here... which was from mid-December to early January.  Also it was up in The Woodlands, not sure if that makes fuck all difference

Keep moving that goal post.  What’s next...it was actually in February?

Does The Woodlands not count as Houston / Houston area?  Does early Jan not count as "Christmas time"?  I guess I should have said "New Years time" instead but really didn't think one fucking week made that much difference.

Man, chicken sandwiches are serious business around here.  I'm sorry all you fuckers didn't get one because they were awesome.

Follow the money. That's all I can say right now, but follow the money.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Man, chicken sandwiches are serious business around here.  I'm sorry all you fuckers didn't get one because they were awesome.

See, now we know you're a liar because everyone who's ever tried one in real life agrees they're somewhere between not that great and highly overrated.

Fudge vindicated?

https://www.businessinsider.com/popeyes-chicken-sandwich-rise-and-fall-story-2019-8

The launch of a legend

Some Popeyes locations started serving the sandwich earlier in 2019, revamping locations to add new equipment, including toasters. In August, Business Insider's Irene Jiang happened to order the sandwich at Popeyes while conducting a chicken-sandwich taste test.

11 hours ago, smuggs said:

He’s confused. Popeyes has had a tender sandwich for a long ass time. The sandwich in question is not the same as it’s a breast with completely different condiments, bread and makeup.

Houston education and all.

• Like 1