Texas 2020 general election

Nice Guy Eddie

Lots of news this morning

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/texas-politics/national-money-pouring-into-texas-for-congressional-races/2447608/

They are targeting 10 districts in the state, and four in North Texas. The North Texas districts are the 3rd, which is currently held by Rep. Van Taylor (R-Plano), the 6th District, which is held by Rep. Ron Wright (R-Arlington), the 24th District, which is an open seat, and the 25th District, which is held by Rep. Roger Williams (R-Austin).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2020 at 9:42 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Come on people.  Have to flush this turd Williams.  Julie is awesome.

I’m voting for her just because he is a dickhead.  I will vote for Becky Bray for county commissioner but that’s it for pubs for me this cycle.  Every one of them needs to lose.

I'm not sure this gets brought up enough, but Allen West is a cocksucking, worthless piece of fucking shit. And although it's not even the worst, he's a motherfucking opportunistic transplant. Fuck him. I remember when he just had a fringe website spouting garbage and making a shit living being a veteran and Black Republican. And now he has power in Texas. Fuck that fucking piece of shit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Thought this was interesting. 

Spoiler alert :  these are the counties 

As these counties grow. The hope is that they can eventually outvote the rural fucktards.

I figured the difference between 2016 and 2018 was probably just a matter of presidential v midterm turnout tendencies (and therefore not repeatable in 2020), but maybe not.

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/2019/04/19/new-census-numbers-reveal-slowing-patterns-houston-harris-county-growth

Those counties it looks like account for about 700,000 of the additional 800,000 people added to Texas in those two years.

Texas' largest metro areas are credited for 85 percent of the state's overall growth since 2010.

As we reported Friday, the latest Census numbers on population growth for counties across the nation showed mostly good news for Texas, as the state had four of the top 10 counties for numerical population growth last year, including Harris County. But a deeper dive using the Census’s county data from 2010 to 2018 gives a more nuanced view of what’s going on, and it’s not all good for Houston and especially Harris County.

First, Texas’s massive population growth – which has averaged more than 400,000 persons per year for the entire decade – is concentrated almost entirely in the so-called “Texas Triangle”. That’s the four metropolitan areas that drive the state’s economy: Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Austin.

8.2MM people voted in 2018. That extra 700,000 people in the urban counties maybe is 350,000 new votes, which is about 4% of the state total. In short, it seems to me very likely that the 2% additional urban vote in 2018 over 2016 may in fact be attributable to the fact that Texas was 2% more urban in that time span.

In other words, you probably can expect a similar change in 2020: 59% (2016) -> 61% (2018) -> 63%? (2020).  That would be nice.  An extra 350,000 votes again from urban areas.

• Like 1

I’ve posted this a few times about the “blue spine” of Texas, but it will probably get more play this election.

“But while Cruz stuck with a tried-and-true Republican playbook, O'Rourke revealed untapped opportunities for Democrats. Four years ago, U.S. Sen. John Cornyn won the I-35 corridor by nearly 350,000 votes over his Democratic opponent, David Alameel. But O'Rourke carried those same counties by more than 440,000 votes. That is a nearly 800,000-vote swing in just four years.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/amp/Beto-O-Rourke-exposed-a-blue-spine-across-the-13399110.php

Over the last four years, Texas has added more voters in the 22 counties along Interstate 35 than in the state’s 232 other counties combined.

Since 2016, Texas voter rolls have grown by almost 2 million voters. More than 1 million of those voters live in communities along the I-35 corridor, sometimes likened to a “blue spine.”
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/amp/Voter-registrations-growing-at-faster-rate-along-15029581.php

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Without a doubt, the election laws should be followed. However there is something fundamentally wrong when one side's main strategy is to prevent voting in order to stay in power. I imagine they sit around giggling about how they're going to stop liberals from voting. Or they blame the little people in that they cannot find the time to wait in line for a couple of hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Without a doubt, the election laws should be followed. However there is something fundamentally wrong when one side's main strategy is to prevent voting in order to stay in power. I imagine they sit around giggling about how they're going to stop liberals from voting. Or they blame the little people in that they cannot find the time to wait in line for a couple of hours. 

don't be fooled by one side's brief.  if you only listened to cops, you'd think every one was guilty. if you only listened to the plaintiffs, everyone would be liable.

gov. abbott wasn't ignorant of those statutes when he issued the proclamation.  he explicitly cited the authority he was given to override regulatory statutes for health/safety reasons.

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/press/PROC_COVID-19_Nov_3_general_election_IMAGE_07-27-2020.pdf

10 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’ve posted this a few times about the “blue spine” of Texas, but it will probably get more play this election.

“But while Cruz stuck with a tried-and-true Republican playbook, O'Rourke revealed untapped opportunities for Democrats. Four years ago, U.S. Sen. John Cornyn won the I-35 corridor by nearly 350,000 votes over his Democratic opponent, David Alameel. But O'Rourke carried those same counties by more than 440,000 votes. That is a nearly 800,000-vote swing in just four years.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/amp/Beto-O-Rourke-exposed-a-blue-spine-across-the-13399110.php

Over the last four years, Texas has added more voters in the 22 counties along Interstate 35 than in the state’s 232 other counties combined.

Since 2016, Texas voter rolls have grown by almost 2 million voters. More than 1 million of those voters live in communities along the I-35 corridor, sometimes likened to a “blue spine.”
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/amp/Voter-registrations-growing-at-faster-rate-along-15029581.php

Beto deserves a ton of credit.  He woke up democrats in Texas. He’s registered countless voters. Everyone in Texas saw him lose very narrowly. The democrats will break through in Texas. The question is now when? Not if?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

don't be fooled by one side's brief.  if you only listened to cops, you'd think every one was guilty. if you only listened to the plaintiffs, everyone would be liable.

gov. abbott wasn't ignorant of those statutes when he issued the proclamation.  he explicitly cited the authority he was given to override regulatory statutes for health/safety reasons.

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/press/PROC_COVID-19_Nov_3_general_election_IMAGE_07-27-2020.pdf

I don't claim to know the law here but I'm sure that exec leaders have the power to expand on laws and rules in emergencies such as natural disasters or pandemics. There should still be checks on them which is good. If the idea is to expand early voting dates or hours, then that would be a perfectly reasonable temp change to accommodate covid-19. This allows voters more time to create social distancing to improve the public health. 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A new internal poll from the Democratic nominee for Texas’ 10th Congressional District, Mike Siegel, showed the race against Rep. Michael McCaul within just two points.

The poll found a narrowing lead for McCaul, who defeated Siegel by four points in 2018. McCaul holds a 45-43 lead over Siegel with just over two weeks remaining before early voting begins, according to the poll.

The poll was conducted Sept. 21-24 by GBAO Strategies, a progressive polling firm in Washington. The results are based on live phone calls to 400 likely voters with a margin of error of 4.9%.

2 points, with a MOE of 4.9.....so, not earth shattering.  But he's closed some of the distance from 2018, even.  A massive, angry turnout by non-Trump voters could make a difference.  The GOP gerrymanders are being sorely tested in places.

Good.  Fuck 'em.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

2 points, with a MOE of 4.9.....so, not earth shattering.  But he's closed some of the distance from 2018, even.  A massive, angry turnout by non-Trump voters could make a difference.  The GOP gerrymanders are being sorely tested in places.

Good.  Fuck 'em.

Any vote that bleeds into Travis County, Rs better watch their cornhole. Turnout is about to be no joke. 

5th Circuit closes the door on straight ticket voting in Texas. Get ready to go down the ballot and vote every place you can find.

They blocked it on the grounds that it upended the election so close to early voting.

Fair enough. But I'll bet anything that we will not see the same logic applied by Republican judges to the county ballot collections or the early voting time frame when those are respectively upheld and overruled.

The gall is astonishing. I sincerely hate these fucks.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 8:41 AM, Voldemort86 said:

I hope she loses and wastes their money. It’s a joke that she’s running and an even bigger joke that people are supporting her.

Win or lose, she's going to try and "pocket" as much of that as she possibly can. Fuck that bitch.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Of course the first year that I would vote straight-ticket is the first year they eliminate straight-ticket.

And Abbott just signed an executive order closing all ballot drop-off locations except for one per county.  

it's almost fucking criminal. your precinct should have a collection apparatus. this is unprecedented.

Probably trying to get the kooks to drop the lawsuit where he extended early voting. I have to think Abbott is under enormous pressure from the Trumpers right now. They are pissed that he required masks and shut things down again and there is almost no question in my mind that he's going to face a far-right primary challenge when he comes up for re-election.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Probably trying to get the kooks to drop the lawsuit where he extended early voting. I have to think Abbott is under enormous pressure from the Trumpers right now. They are pissed that he required masks and shut things down again and there is almost no question in my mind that he's going to face a far-right primary challenge when he comes up for re-election.

Dan Crenshaw is going to run against him no matter what he does.

Abbott and the Rs need to be real careful.  Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.  When you get too brazen with your voter suppression, it pisses people off.  Republicans saw the result of that a few months ago in Wisconsin.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I don’t know why hot wheels would want to run again when he’s already served 2 terms. He should be looking to run for another office. Just another thing I hate about Texas politics, which is nearly everything by the way, we don’t have term limits for governors. What a joke.