Subway brisket

Beau Vine

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In approx 1992, I was at the Posse East when the Miller representative was handing out free sample pitchers of "Miller Clear" (remember THAT stupid trend?)  Free beer.  To poor law students.  We all took a swig.  We then dumped the rest of the pitcher out, in front of the rep, who nodded.

"Free" goes a long way.  But it doesn't get you all the way across the finish line.

Yes, but you're a man of principle.

These other people I'm still not sold on. Especially anyone who would, in 2019, be outraged that Subway is making something shitty. Newsflash, everything Subway makes is garbage. 

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In approx 1992, I was at the Posse East when the Miller representative was handing out free sample pitchers of "Miller Clear" (remember THAT stupid trend?)  Free beer.  To poor law students.  We all took a swig.  We then dumped the rest of the pitcher out, in front of the rep, who nodded.

"Free" goes a long way.  But it doesn't get you all the way across the finish line.

You and I were there at the same time then.  In my case it was the poor, broke engineering students, not law.  That dude handed a pint to my friend, and a pint to me.  I took a sip and it sucked.  My friend took a sip, spit it out in front of the rep and said, "that's the worst shit I've ever tasted" and dumped the rest out.  

I finished mine, and asked for a full pitcher, and finished that too.  I was poor and not overly proud.

But I certainly didn't say nice things about it.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Considering the following were in my regular beer rotation in college, it would have to be pretty fucking nasty to get dumped.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

The easiest way to make the line shorter at Franklin.  Make everyone in line taste test Franklin vs Rudys.  If you can pick which one is which you can stand in line.  That should eliminate 95% of the line.

I admit I haven't been to Franklin since shortly after he opened the brick & mortar shop, but if things run the way they did back then, the easiest way to make the line shorter would be for Aaron to stop conversing with every customer and just slice the damn brisket.  He slowed the line down significantly just by yapping so much.

Tried it today because of this thread and was expecting to come and say how atrocious it was.

Honestly for a fast food sandwich it wasn't all that bad, definitely a smokey flavor and definitely tastes like brisket. Now would I ever order it again? Fuck no, but it wasn't terrible. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, immamac said:

Tried it today because of this thread and was expecting to come and say how atrocious it was.

Honestly for a fast food sandwich it wasn't all that bad, definitely a smokey flavor and definitely tastes like brisket. Now would I ever order it again? Fuck no, but it wasn't terrible. 

You gonna try to duplicate it in your own kitchen?  :)

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Honestly for a fast food sandwich it wasn't all that bad

I now live in a town where there are only four chain restaurants, total: a Wendy's, a Burger King, an Arby's, and a Domino's.

Granted, I'm only a few miles away from plenty more -- Subway is 3.4 miles away (I was curious, so I checked). I have to say, I have been pleasantly surprised by how little I miss fast food.

It's not that I ever thought it was as good as slow food, mind, it's just that it is such a ubiquitous part of American life in most places, we seldom think about what it would be like to just never eat from a drive-thru lane.

20 hours ago, Deej said:

He knew what he was doing. The slower the line, the longer the line. The longer the line, the more people feel the need to join the line. 

Yeah, trade that off with longer operating hours and higher associated costs (employee pay) and I'm not sure that's a win-win.

11 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Got a foot long and couldn't finish. The brisket itself was fine. Not great, just fine. But the cheese and bread made it all gross. 31eeae540515ade5c946a8d89d65866f.jpg

I’ve seen some nasty shit in my life but for some reason, this pic makes me nauseous.  Maybe it’s the memories of eating subway 9-10x a week in residency.  And knowing this is worse than that fucking spicy Italian.  By a fair margin. I’d imagine.  

On 9/24/2019 at 7:55 PM, immamac said:

Sounds like something a Subway mole would say.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 6:12 AM, Landomatic said:

Fuckin A this ^

Some of yall act like you've never met anyone outside of a BBQ thread on the internet before.  Believe it or not, most people in society (and yes, even Texas) wouldn't know good BBQ if it kicked them in the nuts.  Shitty fast food places have been doing "BBQ sandwiches" for years.  Hell, McDonalds could feed 100 or so people free McRibs and get 10 or so quotes about how great it was.

In the upper Midwest, sloppy joes have traditionally been called “barbecues.” Many drive-ins, smaller ball park concessions, etc., still have barbeques on the menu  

Think about that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

In the upper Midwest, sloppy joes have traditionally been called “barbecues.”

Also known as "loose meat sandwiches".  Maid-Rite is the king.  They're pretty tasty, regardless of the name or how they look, but they sure aren't "BBQ" in any sense of the word.

menu_header.jpg

On 9/24/2019 at 11:47 AM, Sbbruin said:

Considering the following were in my regular beer rotation in college, it would have to be pretty fucking nasty to get dumped.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think kegs of Meister Brau went for $35 with shell trade at the local distributor dock sales in college. We could get 7 or 8 in a Nissan Sentra with no rear seat.  Totally bottomed out.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Also known as "loose meat sandwiches".  Maid-Rite is the king.  They're pretty tasty, regardless of the name or how they look, but they sure aren't "BBQ" in any sense of the word.

menu_header.jpg

Maid-Rite ripped off the recipe from Ye Olde Tavern. My mother had a recipe for taverns (a.k.a. sloppy joes, loose meat sandwiches, whatever...it’s still not BBQ) that is better than either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde_Tavern_(Iowa)

Let the non-BBQ sandwich wars begin.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:30 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

In the upper Midwest, sloppy joes have traditionally been called “barbecues.” Many drive-ins, smaller ball park concessions, etc., still have barbeques on the menu  

Think about that. 

I loves me a good sloppy joe. But calling it "BBQ" is a lot like calling a Tic Tac "dessert".

Meanwhile, I had a friend ask me today if I liked Subway's brisket sandwich; he thought that as a Texan, I might.

I can forgive his ignorance: he's from Scotland. He thinks haggis is fit for human consumption. 

I loves me a good sloppy joe. But calling it "BBQ" is a lot like calling a Tic Tac "dessert".
Meanwhile, I had a friend ask me today if I liked Subway's brisket sandwich; he thought that as a Texan, I might.
I can forgive his ignorance: he's from Scotland. He thinks haggis is fit for human consumption. 

I like haggis.
I like sloppy joes.
None of them are BBQ.
Neither is Subway.

I think that’s a haiku or something.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I like haggis.
I like sloppy joes.
None of them are BBQ.
Neither is Subway.

I think that’s a haiku or something.

Yup I like haggis and sloppy joes too.  Not sure why midwestern folk call sloppy joes BBQ  but I'm also not sure why New Yorkers call grilling hot dogs BBQ either.  I guess yankees are just kind of stupid and there's nothing we can do to fix that, God bless them.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

And you thought by getting out of The Station you’d be leaving stupidity behind. 

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

To be fair to Scots, New Yorkers, and Midwesterners, they would wonder why a Texans call Subway “sandwiches”, “food”, or “edible”.  

Number of Subways in the Midwest: 6220

Number in Texas: 2139

There’s a Subway location for roughly every 11,500 people in Illinois compared to every 12,800 in Texas.

And the UK has more locations than Texas too.

They must be wondering between bites of Subway sandwiches.

Fair point.  But UK folks don't have the idiocy to brag about cuisine superiority over Texans. They know their food is shit.  As texans, we brag about our food selection and still support the restaurant chat that literally uses the same grade ingredients as the federal prison system.  Bragging about our brisket, while still patronizing subway is the same as bragging about our Tex-Mex and going to Chili's.  It's an embarrassment with all the great local joints to patronize Subway.  That's all.  Don't give me bullshit about convenience, and food deserts, and monetary necessity.  There ain't a fucking person in this state of great food at a cheap prices that needs to spend $5 on a sandwich made of sawdust and embarrassment.  If you like it, just admit it and don't hide behind "other parts of the country are doing it too."  If you need cafeteria style 'turkey' doused in mayo, you need to think about your choice in cock.  

Look, we all know you have some weird personal vendetta against Subway, and that's fine.  But you're way off the deep end here.  You're the one that brought up other regions, not us. You're setting up straw men and then trying to knock us all down with their flailing limp appendages.  

It might be time to take a break from the keyboard for a bit.  Nobody here wants to harm you.  And nobody here wants to eat Subway, either. I promise. :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Fair point.  But UK folks don't have the idiocy to brag about cuisine superiority over Texans. They know their food is shit.  As texans, we brag about our food selection and still support the restaurant chat that literally uses the same grade ingredients as the federal prison system.  Bragging about our brisket, while still patronizing subway is the same as bragging about our Tex-Mex and going to Chili's.  It's an embarrassment with all the great local joints to patronize Subway.  That's all.  Don't give me bullshit about convenience, and food deserts, and monetary necessity.  There ain't a fucking person in this state of great food at a cheap prices that needs to spend $5 on a sandwich made of sawdust and embarrassment.  If you like it, just admit it and don't hide behind "other parts of the country are doing it too."  If you need cafeteria style 'turkey' doused in mayo, you need to think about your choice in cock.  

Yeah, just imagine those snooty French with their haute cuisine patronizing McDonald’s.

So Firehouse Subs is jumping into the fray with a “Nashville Hot Brisket Samdwich”, or so I heard on a sports talk radio commercial.   

-“slow-smoked” brisket

-Nashville hot

-pepper jack chz

-sweet & spicy slaw

-pickles

-mayo

-on a toasted cornbread roll

W.T.F.

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/firehouse-subs-adds-nashville-hot-brisket-menu

Edited by Trey3216

Mayonnaise on brisket?  The nationwide BBQ trend just officially jumped the shark.  All that's left is a line of frozen BBQ meals from Oprah that you can enjoy at home in just minutes.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Mayonnaise on brisket?  The nationwide BBQ trend just officially jumped the shark.  All that's left is a line of frozen BBQ meals from Oprah that you can enjoy at home in just minutes.  

Yeah I'm still reeling from the idea of Subway putting cheese on a brisket sandwich.... fucking mayo?  What in the actual fuck?

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 12:08 PM, Lobo said:

So basically something you have Zero control over?   I think a big part of being a Texan is taking control of your destiny and making the place you live a better one. Your greatest achievement in life thus far seems to be the arbitrary geographic location of your mothers Vagina at some point in the past.  Congrats on having absolutely no influence on the thing you make the biggest part of your identity.  What a weird way to go through life.  You seem about as integral to Texas as a subway franchise.  

Ok, carpetbagger.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I'm still reeling from the idea of Subway putting cheese on a brisket sandwich.... fucking mayo?  What in the actual fuck?

Well, I've done a brisket wrap where I put a thick chunk of hot brisket and a nice slice of sharp cheddar on a fresh toasted tortilla.

But of course, Subway's offering sure as hell ain't that.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I've done a brisket wrap where I put a thick chunk of hot brisket and a nice slice of sharp cheddar on a fresh toasted tortilla.

But of course, Subway's offering sure as hell ain't that.

Oh yeah I get that.... I'm sure some shredded cheese would be just fine on like a brisket taco as well... but it's just the idea that Subway is advertising this thing as like a "BBQ brisket" sub or whatever... and then putting cheese on it.... 

I've just never seen cheese anywhere near anything I've referred to a "BBQ"... just seems totally bizarre.  But I suppose it's just another way to give fat-fuck-nation more calories.

I mean, cheese has pretty commonly been sold at the counter of many BBQ joints for as long as I can remember, which goes back 40+ years.  I guess some people aren't putting that cheese into a piece of white Butterkrust bread with a couple slices of brisket and making a foldover sandwich-- but a lot of people are.

I'm not defending Subway's abomination of an attempt at a BBQ sandwich, but putting cheese next to brisket isn't the problem here.

• Like 1

I mean, cheese has pretty commonly been sold at the counter of many BBQ joints for as long as I can remember, which goes back 40+ years.  I guess some people aren't putting that cheese into a piece of white Butterkrust bread with a couple slices of brisket and making a foldover sandwich-- but a lot of people are.

I'm not defending Subway's abomination of an attempt at a BBQ sandwich, but putting cheese next to brisket isn't the problem here.

Goddamn right. Imagine making a chopped brisket cheesesteak? I need to dust off my Texadelphia cook credentials and make one.