Most of the SEC is outright crap

sushihorn

247 has the composite team score that combines the recruit rankings for the entire team to show the overall talent level.  https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/  Of course this is based on high school recruit projections and does not include development in college or coaching.

#15 Tennessee

#21 South Carolina

#22 Miss St

#25 Ole Miss

#26 Arkansas

To me the defining characteristic of the SEC is great athletes that are not developed and play under terrible coaching.  You watch these teams and you see the huge athletic D-lineman and fast skill players, but they play like garbage.

Edited by Yesh
  • Like 2

I've been saying for years that the "There are no easy weeks in the SEC!" stuff is  a bunch of crap.  The bottom half of that league is just about always as bad as the bottom half of every other league.  They all pad their records with 4 wins against Lamar and Tennessee-Chattanooga types, so even the worst teams end up a "respectable 5-7 in the mighty SEC."

And an 8-4 team in the SEC counts as a quality win for the 4 teams who beat them, even though that 8-4 team was 2-4 against ranked opponents.

The top two or three teams in the SEC are always legitimately very good.  But there's also a lot of smoke and mirrors going on, with help from the media.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Miss State,  Kentucky and aggy aren't horri-bad.

Here's the Horri-bad sec list (1 being worst)

5. Vandy

4. Ole Miss

3. South Carolina (injured QB puts them here)

2. Arkansas

1. Tennessee

Miss State and Kentucky are kinda bad. aggy is average.

I'm generally a hater of this conference and the ridiculous narrative around it, but this year I'll give them that the top 2 teams are very strong. I don't think LSU's game against us was a fluke. They're putting up crazy numbers on everyone they play, and their defense is still very good.

Bama is bama. They don't pass the eye test with me so far this year, but usually in the games that count they get it done. Usually. I think lsu gets them this year, though.

Georgia might be good, but they haven't proved it. What was the last high profile Irish game (not against Charlie Strong) that they didn't fuck up? Same with Auburn, although they did find a way to eek one out against Oregon who are at least reasonably good.

The rest are average to sightly above average. Florida it's no better than OK St, not even on paper, yet they're ranked in the top 10. It's a joke. Do people not understand that Urban and Tebow haven't been there in a while?

The top end of the sec this year could play with the top teams from any conference and probably win a good share. Beyond the top 2, I think they'd lose well more than they'd win, as they're very weak this year. Unfortunately, so far the most hyped ooc games for them have been auburn/Oregon, lsu/us, and Georgia/Notre Dame. They won them all, even if by a nose, so the narrative is going to stick for now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I've been saying for years that the "There are no easy weeks in the SEC!" stuff is  a bunch of crap.  The bottom half of that league is just about always as bad as the bottom half of every other league.  They all pad their records with 4 wins against Lamar and Tennessee-Chattanooga types, so even the worst teams end up a "respectable 5-7 in the mighty SEC."

And an 8-4 team in the SEC counts as a quality win for the 4 teams who beat them, even though that 8-4 team was 2-4 against ranked opponents.

The top two or three teams in the SEC are always legitimately very good.  But there's also a lot of smoke and mirrors going on, with help from the media.

Absolutely correct.  Virtually every SEC team plays 3-4 overmatched OOC scrubs.  There are so many legitimately bad SEC teams that even the mediocre ones are guaranteed bowl eligible.  The West gets Ole Miss, Arky and MSU.  aggy specifically gets S. Carolina in addition.  The East has Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky and South Carolina.  Mizzou gets Arkansas every year out of the West so it's nearly impossible for them to miss a bowl as well unless they go sub .500 vs the scum of the East.

The truth is there are MOSTLY easy weeks in the SEC.  That doesn't even fully account for the November bye week they schedule every year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yesh said:

247 has the composite team score that combines the recruit rankings for the entire team to show the overall talent level.  https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/  Of course this is based on high school recruit projections and does not include development in college or coaching.

#15 Tennessee

#21 South Carolina

#22 Miss St

#25 Ole Miss

#26 Arkansas

To me the defining characteristic of the SEC is great athletes that are not developed and play under terrible coaching.  You watch these teams and you see the huge athletic D-lineman and fast skill players, but they play like garbage.

Very on point.  Willingness to bring briefcases to a recruiting battle while fellow crooks look the other way ensures that most of the many prime athletes in the region play in the SEC - even for the bottom feeders.  This leads to the self-fulfilling prophecy in the NFL draft as the talent is drafted on potential and measurables even if their college program failed to develop them.  Those same players could be drafted higher by going somewhere they could improve and showcase their talent but hearing the same party line from every sports media outlet has the predictable effect that saturation bombardment propaganda usually does.

I'm not buying Georgia from a coaching position.  They can out talent everyone except Alabama and they have developed a reputation of being elite. With that said, kirby makes very questionable coaching decisions that get masked by the talent they have. Plus they play offense that is very generic but it works when they can push you around.

We showed what can happen when you don't get caught up in the mystique that everyone in sec buys into. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I'm not buying Georgia from a coaching position.  They can out talent everyone except Alabama and they have developed a reputation of being elite. With that said, kirby makes very questionable coaching decisions that get masked by the talent they have. Plus they play offense that is very generic but it works when they can push you around.

We showed what can happen when you don't get caught up in the mystique that everyone in sec buys into. 

Also, their mascot is a pussy 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The top SEC teams have it easy compare to the Xii.  I'll say it again - those fucking teams would be beat to hell facing the gauntlet of offenses that the Xii defenses face.  Zero doubt about it.  But you won't hear any talking heads discuss this.  Instead you'll hear about 'smash mouth' SECSECSEC football...when it's really more like Driving Miss Daisy, with one team guaranteed every fucking year - and at least a 50% shot at getting a second team in.  As long as espn is financially incentivized to push the BS narrative, shit won't change.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The top SEC teams have it easy compare to the Xii.  I'll say it again - those fucking teams would be beat to hell facing the gauntlet of offenses that the Xii defenses face.  Zero doubt about it.  But you won't hear any talking heads discuss this.  Instead you'll hear about 'smash mouth' SECSECSEC football...when it's really more like Driving Miss Daisy, with one team guaranteed every fucking year - and at least a 50% shot at getting a second team in.  As long as espn is financially incentivized to push the BS narrative, shit won't change.  

Agreed.  And we would do well in a 3 yard and a cloud of dust league as we are strong against the run.  If LSU hadn't figured out the forward pass so amazingly fast we would have won that game by double digits.  

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Very on point.  Willingness to bring briefcases to a recruiting battle while fellow crooks look the other way ensures that most of the many prime athletes in the region play in the SEC - even for the bottom feeders.  This leads to the self-fulfilling prophecy in the NFL draft as the talent is drafted on potential and measurables even if their college program failed to develop them.  Those same players could be drafted higher by going somewhere they could improve and showcase their talent but hearing the same party line from every sports media outlet has the predictable effect that saturation bombardment propaganda usually does.

So, you’re telling me that Kirby is like retarded Mack?  Cause that’s what it sounds like!  Tennessee should’ve hired Gundy but they’re dumb.

Lulz everyone is so butthurt about Florida being ranked high in the meaningless preseason and early season rankings.

Truth is, they haven't lost. They've lost their best playmaker on offense (Toney), their best two defensive players (CJ Henderson and Zuniga), and their starting QB Franks - who kinda sucked anyway. The backup doesn't seem to be much better. Sure they should be ranked lower, but they play LSU, Auburn, and Jawgia. We will actually get to see if they are worth a fuck in the next 5 weeks. Until then, calm down saying they are the worst team ever, they get everyone's best shot (remind you of anyone) and they've got a win over an in-state rival on a neutral site a week before anyone was playing. It's fun to be a Gator fan right now, shit hasn't gone off the rails.

Remember Florida smashed the fuck out of Michigan in a bowl and started the season ranked lower than Michigan. The rankings are total dogshit.

30 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Lulz everyone is so butthurt about Florida being ranked high in the meaningless preseason and early season rankings.

Truth is, they haven't lost. They've lost their best playmaker on offense (Toney), their best two defensive players (CJ Henderson and Zuniga), and their starting QB Franks - who kinda sucked anyway. The backup doesn't seem to be much better. Sure they should be ranked lower, but they play LSU, Auburn, and Jawgia. We will actually get to see if they are worth a fuck in the next 5 weeks. Until then, calm down saying they are the worst team ever, they get everyone's best shot (remind you of anyone) and they've got a win over an in-state rival on a neutral site a week before anyone was playing. It's fun to be a Gator fan right now, shit hasn't gone off the rails.

Remember Florida smashed the fuck out of Michigan in a bowl and started the season ranked lower than Michigan. The rankings are total dogshit.

This seems like an odd place to complain about "butthurt" and UF rankings.  I specifically said "the jury is still out" on them and for much the same scheduling reasons you cited.  I just have a different take on Miami than you do. 

57 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

This seems like an odd place to complain about "butthurt" and UF rankings.  I specifically said "the jury is still out" on them and for much the same scheduling reasons you cited.  I just have a different take on Miami than you do. 

Not you haas. I was at the game, it was chaos. It's an in State rivalry, not really a normal game. Let me remind you it was also big 12 officials out there keeping it exciting, also gave em 4 turnovers.

There's about 25 posts in the AP rankings thread shitting on Florida.

7 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

And they're doing better in the SEC than they did in the Big 12.

Well they beat the fuck out of West Virginia.

Let's not act like the big12 is very good at the bottom. 

TCU sucks lost to SMU

Baylor sucks 

Tech sucks lost to Arizona

Kansas..

We got two elite teams, and 3 good teams. 50% of our league is good. Pretty tough to win since ya gotta play everyone and rematch the top team. Sucks.

SECSEC has 3 elite teams, 3 good teams. 43% of their league is good. There's never rematches (unless playoffs) and they don't have to play everyone, so their league is built to support the 3 elite teams. Doesn't suck.

4 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Well they beat the fuck out of West Virginia.

Let's not act like the big12 is very good at the bottom. 

Who said otherwise? Why are you so thin-skinned? I have never, ever heard a talking head proclaim the Big 12 as the best conference. The SEC is smoke and mirrors and has been that way for some time, yet the conference always gets the benefit of the doubt. 

8 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Outright crappier than the Pac-12?

Outright crappier than the ACC?

Outright crappier than the B1G?

We may not be as deep as we use to be, but then, neither is anyone else.

Yup. Just my opinion but

Pac-12 - 42%

0 elite teams

5 good teams

ACC - 29%

1 elite team

Maybe 3 good teams

B1G - 50%

2 elite teams

5 good teams

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Who said otherwise? Why are you so thin-skinned? I have never, ever heard a talking head proclaim the Big 12 as the best conference. The SEC is smoke and mirrors and has been that way for some time, yet the conference always gets the benefit of the doubt. 

Lulz I was agreeing with you. Klatt says the big 12 is one of the best.

The SEC doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, they get the most shit talked about them because that's what they do. ESPN does it because that's what sells. Maybe some got their first taste for Texas/LSU but their fans are fucking insane and they will do whatever chickenshit thing to come out on top. Something like week 3 rankings REALLY fucking matters to them. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Probably not the best time to gloat about wins over the mighty harbaughs.

Well Florida has come a long way from Mcelwain led Gators getting his shit pushed in by them in Jerry world the year before

Last year was year 1 of Mullen, they won 10 games and beat Michigan in the Peach bowl.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I agree with you. The SEC is overrated 

but LSU beat us, Georgia beat Notre Dame, and Auburn beat Oregon. sooo they have 4 pretty decent teams 

OU and Texas....and...

Wisconsin and Ohio State....and

Clemson....and 

....(Pac 12)

Yea.... it feels like another top heavy year.  I'm not even sure how good Wisconsin is as little Blue are total frauds but it's not the overall point.  When you have two conferences which are total crap except for 1 team then it's going to be easy for a 14 team to get a number of teams loaded in the top 15.  The bigger issue is the SEC starts with so many teams ranked way too high.... almost every year.  

BTW, is Muschamp going to survive with the Cocks?  1-3 with @ Georgia, Florida, @  aggy and Clemson still on this schedule.  Looking like a 4-8 or 5-7 type year coming off of 7-6.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 10:03 AM, Yesh said:

#15 Tennessee

#21 South Carolina

#22 Miss St

#25 Ole Miss

#26 Arkansas

Pretty spot on.  The SEC has been trying to catch up to Bama by trying to hire people from the Saban or find Saban clones.  You couple that with the absolute dogshit QB recruiting/play and you get what you see.  Lots of physical talent on some really bad teams.  

KU could beat Arkansas or Tennessee, those two teams are dumpster fires. Ole Miss isn't much better, either. Vandy is Vandy, no explanation needed. South Carolina looks every part of a 3-9 or 4-8 team, I'll laugh manically if Appalachian State hands the SEC another Sun Belt loss when they get a crack at SC later in the season.

Bama hasn't been tested and won't even be tested until November 9th when they play LSU (Who they play at home) and there is this stupid stigma that they go through a gauntlet. The only other team during the regular season that will pose a threat is @Auburn to close the season out, even if they lose to UGA in the SEC championship game they'll waltz into the playoffs if they handle LSU/Auburn. At least LSU and UGA proved their worth they beat quality opponents, Bama and UF haven't played anyone.

Haven't seen a Bama game in a while.  Decided to watch a replay of their last game vs So. Miss... They just look a step slower and less physical on defense than I expected a Bama team to look.  

Offense is a different story.  Other than Najee Harris being average to slightly above average back that runs way too upright, Bama will be scoring at will in conference play.  Bama vs LSU is shaping up to be a shoot-out... Aggies 5 years too late to the human cube fest but completely unaware, as is tradition 

Haven't seen a Bama game in a while.  Decided to watch a replay of their last game vs So. Miss... They just look a step slower and less physical on defense than I expected a Bama team to look.  
Offense is a different story.  Other than Najee Harris being average to slightly above average back that runs way too upright, Bama will be scoring at will in conference play.  Bama vs LSU is shaping up to be a shoot-out... Aggies 5 years too late to the human cube fest but completely unaware, as is tradition 
this is an sec thread. why u bring up uc davis?

3 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

Injuries. Starting 4 true freshman on defense right now. If you think Texas has had a bad run with injuries go see what Alabama has lost on defense. The SEC West is actually shaping up nicely for Auburn if Malzahn can get his head out of his ass. LSU and Alabama are suffering a lot of injuries. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On 9/22/2019 at 9:29 PM, Gatorubet said:

Outright crappier than the Pac-12?

Outright crappier than the ACC?

Outright crappier than the B1G?

We may not be as deep as we use to be, but then, neither is anyone else.

That's the point.  SEC is about like every other conference.  Yet, we have an ESPN fueled press telling us it's on a different level and OMGZZZZ SEC, SEC,SEC!!!!!!  

It's a bunch of horse shit. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Injuries. Starting 4 true freshman on defense right now. If you think Texas has had a bad run with injuries go see what Alabama has lost on defense. The SEC West is actually shaping up nicely for Auburn if Malzahn can get his head out of his ass. LSU and Alabama are suffering a lot of injuries. 

Especially LSU, what with all those crampers on defense.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If we had A/C in the visitors locker room....

A USC (not of the fightin’ Muschamps variety) fan asked me about that bs. I about lost it. 

Did you say "fake news! We has the best a/c for those guys but the lying press won't ever cover it. Yuge cooling towers putting out there best air, nobody has air like we have, nobody!"

15 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

That's the point.  SEC is about like every other conference.  Yet, we have an ESPN fueled press telling us it's on a different level and OMGZZZZ SEC, SEC,SEC!!!!!!  

It's a bunch of horse shit. 

We had seven years of championships with LSU Florida Auburn and Bama winning.  Point me to a conference with four National champs in forty years, let alone less than a decade.   I get that the SEC knob jobbing is annoying, and false.  But nobody else has come close to dominating the game as the SEC has in modern memory, so there will be some bullshit puffery and biased SEC promoting from ESPN.  No question.   

You don't have to like it, but you can't point to another conference that has accomplished near the achievements of the SEC in the last fifteen years.   Sucks, but whatchagonnado?

Edited by Gatorubet