Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I realize you're making my point for me, but just for clarification, Texas won the title less than 14 years ago, which is nowhere near the same thing as 20 years. So either Lando was being disingenuous on purpose, or he's too stupid to understand that 2019 - 2006 does not equal 20. 

But yeah, his argument that "unproven coaches don't win championships at blue bloods" is of course wrong. 

All that said, I'm all for Meyer. I just want a coaching search that's intelligently run with purpose and due-diligence. Whether that ends up with Urban, Whittingham, Fleck, or whoever, I just want to know that the process was run thoroughly and not based off of stupid notions like "Herman is our guy without even looking at other guys" or "blue bloods can't win without someone who has won a natty before!11". Do it right, I don't want to go through another four years of this crap.

Counting 2019, which is almost over, it's going to be 15 seasons ago that Texas won. Let's look at my list again:

• Alabama 2017 (Nick Saban) -- Bama was in disarray as they worked through Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione and Mike Shula between Stallings' run ending in 1996; the Tide, though, landed the big fish after Saban's semi-failed 2-year stint with the Dolphins and he's won five titles
  • Ohio State 2014 (Urban Meyer) -- Meyer is from Ohio and the Buckeyes had just been forced to let Tressel go for the tattoo scandal; Meyer, a 2-time champ at UF, jumped at the job after a short "health" sabbatical (we'd see later he'd left a mess at UF)
  • Texas 2005 (Mack Brown) -- Since falling from #1 status in 1983/1984 after being a Top 5 team since the early 60's, Texas was pretty much 6-8 win team with Late Akers, McWilliams and Mackovic; not sure anybody saw a NC coming when this hire was made
  • USC 2004 (Pete Carroll) -- middling NFL coach brought in after USC spent the better part of the 80's and 90's walking in the desert basically before hitting a HR with Carroll; haven't really done shit since he left either
  • Oklahoma 2000 (Bob Stoops) -- OU was average-at-best for most of the 90's following Switzer's ouster as they cycled thru Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake before taking a chance on a hot-shot DC
  • Notre Dame 1988 (Lou Holtz) -- brought in to clean up mess made by Gerry Faust (HS coach prior to becoming ND HC); Holtz spent previous two years at Minnesota (not NFL) and was 7-5 the second year
  • Michigan 1997 (Lloyd Carr) -- promoted following Schembechler's retirement
  • Nebraska 1997 (Tom Osborne) -- promoted following Devaney's retirement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Do you have anything to say about the fact that four of the six blueblood coaches that have won championships in the past 20 years (which was your original timeframe) were unproven when they started?

Or are you conceding that your original point was wrong and that you're just here to play semantic games?

As predicted, goalposts moved. First you said 20 years. Now you're saying "since Mack", which was 13 years ago, not 20. Keep trying, son.

Yeah, the point that other coaches have done it before Mack was never in question.  If you wanted to say, "okay but before Mack there were several" that's fine.  Just like if you wanted to say, "okay but outside of blue bloods programs, there have been others who have done it since at some pretty big programs like Florida and Clemson" that's fine too.  Hell, even if you wanted to correct me and say "15 years ago isn't what I'd consider almost 20 years" (not 13 - since apparently we both suck at math), that would be fine too.  But you didn't do any of that.  Instead, you kept trying to change the facts to try to prove my point wrong, which you've failed miserably at.  Other posters have even called you out on it.  Accept it and move on.

That said, I'm officially bored with you and I am moving on.  You have shown repeatedly that you are no longer worth my time so I'll gladly take my hypothetical sports arguments with strangers on the internet elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, the point that other coaches have done it before Mack was never in question.  If you wanted to say, "okay but before Mack there were several" that's fine.  Just like if you wanted to say, "okay but outside of blue bloods programs, there have been others who have done it since at some pretty big programs like Florida and Clemson" that's fine too.  Hell, even if you wanted to correct me and say "15 years ago isn't what I'd consider almost 20 years" (not 13 - since apparently we both suck at math), that would be fine too.  But you didn't do any of that.  Instead, you kept trying to change the facts to try to prove my point wrong, which you've failed miserably at.  Other posters have even called you out on it.  Accept it and move on.

That said, I'm officially bored with you and I am moving on.  You have shown repeatedly that you are no longer worth my time so I'll gladly take my hypothetical sports arguments with strangers on the internet elsewhere.

Rather than hone in on something as nebulous as blueblood or non-blueblood, I think you just have to look and see who has been relevant in the time period you want to discuss. So you want to go back 20 years. OK, these are the teams I'd say have achieved to a high level (obvious caveats for Boise, TCU and Appalachian and Louisville) during that time. This article was published on 1/19/18 so it's a little dated. Best winning percentage from 2000-2017: https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/College-footballs-winningest-programs-since-2000-113916135/#113916135_1

1. Boise St

2. Ohio St

3. Oklahoma

4. LSU

5. Alabama

(tie) USC

7. TCU

8. Georgia

9. Appalachian St

10. Oregon

11. Florida St

12. Wisconsin

13. Virginia Tech

14. Texas

15. Clemson

16. Florida

17. Miami

18. Auburn

19. Louisville

20. Penn St

Here was a look by Michigan board at 10, 20 and 30-year trends ending in 2014. Again, it's five years old but it's worth looking at.

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/top-winning-s-ncaa-football-last-30-20-10-years

Edited by C-Man

"You keep changing facts"

Says the guy who initially said 13.9 years is 20 years and is now trying to say it's 15 years in an effort to save face.

But I'm with you, let's move on.
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Counting 2019, which is almost over, it's going to be 15 seasons ago that Texas won. Let's look at my list again:

• Alabama 2017 (Nick Saban) -- Bama was in disarray as they worked through Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione and Mike Shula between Stallings' run ending in 1996; the Tide, though, landed the big fish after Saban's semi-failed 2-year stint with the Dolphins and he's won five titles
  • Ohio State 2014 (Urban Meyer) -- Meyer is from Ohio and the Buckeyes had just been forced to let Tressel go for the tattoo scandal; Meyer, a 2-time champ at UF, jumped at the job after a short "health" sabbatical (we'd see later he'd left a mess at UF)
  • Texas 2005 (Mack Brown) -- Since falling from #1 status in 1983/1984 after being a Top 5 team since the early 60's, Texas was pretty much 6-8 win team with Late Akers, McWilliams and Mackovic; not sure anybody saw a NC coming when this hire was made
  • USC 2004 (Pete Carroll) -- middling NFL coach brought in after USC spent the better part of the 80's and 90's walking in the desert basically before hitting a HR with Carroll; haven't really done shit since he left either
  • Oklahoma 2000 (Bob Stoops) -- OU was average-at-best for most of the 90's following Switzer's ouster as they cycled thru Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake before taking a chance on a hot-shot DC
  • Notre Dame 1988 (Lou Holtz) -- brought in to clean up mess made by Gerry Faust (HS coach prior to becoming ND HC); Holtz spent previous two years at Minnesota (not NFL) and was 7-5 the second year
  • Michigan 1997 (Lloyd Carr) -- promoted following Schembechler's retirement
  • Nebraska 1997 (Tom Osborne) -- promoted following Devaney's retirement

So two out of the eight are proven then.. I'm lost as to what your point is unless you're agreeing with me.

And if we say "since Mack Brown" (Lando - not trying to pick at you here FYI), then the only "blue blood" coaches that have won are Urban Meyer once, and Nick Saban a shit ton of times. So I mean, are we saying "to win a title at a blue blood in the past 15 years, you either need to have Urban Meyer or Nick Saban"? Okay, I guess. There's not really much of a point there. Except that Urban Meyer is great and we'd be fortunate to have him, which I actually agree with.

Y'all dipshits arguing about your fucking opinions need to shut the fuck up. Get a room and take turns sticking safety pins in each others' nipples, or whatever. 

Either want Urban or don't - nobody gives a fuck about the reasons for or against, and sure as hell have no interest in whether the pro- or con-Urban position is for the right or wrong reasons.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"You keep changing facts"

Says the guy who initially said 13.9 years is 20 years and is now trying to say it's 15 years in an effort to save face.

But I'm with you, let's move on.

The best thing you can do when you find yourself reading any post written by that dumb ass is "move on". 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahaha. I can never tell whether it is funnier to me when the easter egg is appreciated or when it is totally missed/ignored. I feel I do it almost every post and need to go find some original material, but it’s fun. 

There's no missing that one. At least not in my family 

44 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

So two out of the eight are proven then.. I'm lost as to what your point is unless you're agreeing with me.

And if we say "since Mack Brown" (Lando - not trying to pick at you here FYI), then the only "blue blood" coaches that have won are Urban Meyer once, and Nick Saban a shit ton of times. So I mean, are we saying "to win a title at a blue blood in the past 15 years, you either need to have Urban Meyer or Nick Saban"? Okay, I guess. There's not really much of a point there. Except that Urban Meyer is great and we'd be fortunate to have him, which I actually agree with.

More agreeing with you than disagreeing, I think. I certainly wouldn't allow myself to think that unless we can land Meyer or Saban once Hermensa is shown the door next month or next year that we have no hopes of winning -- or even contending -- for a national title. The simple reason is there aren't many situations where somebody like Saban or Meyer are even available. The only reason Saban could've been had was because he made a brief foray into the NFL and wasn't immediately successful so he went back to college. Meyer has a tendency to make something great for a period of time but the way he builds programs gives him a shorter shelf life. Dabo isn't going anywhere. Ever. Chizik is the worst coach to ever win a NC and will never get a good HC job again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

More agreeing with you than disagreeing, I think. I certainly wouldn't allow myself to think that unless we can land Meyer or Saban once Hermensa is shown the door next month or next year that we have no hopes of winning -- or even contending -- for a national title. The simple reason is there aren't many situations where somebody like Saban or Meyer are even available. The only reason Saban could've been had was because he made a brief foray into the NFL and wasn't immediately successful so he went back to college. Meyer has a tendency to make something great for a period of time but the way he builds programs gives him a shorter shelf life. Dabo isn't going anywhere. Ever. Chizik is the worst coach to ever win a NC and will never get a good HC job again.

Good point on Urban - but I'd have no qualms with him coming in and getting us to the elite tier for about 4-5 years then leaving the program in great shape for the next guy. It's better than where we're at today, or at the end of Mack or Strong's tenures. We don't need a decade of Meyer, just come clean up Mack/Strong/Herman's mess and reset this program back to where it should be.

And I personally think the notion of "blue blood" is a bit silly in this day and age. It's this nebulous group of powerhouses and has-beens, some of whom are still premier programs, and some of whom haven't been "premier" in decades. Nebraska is a "blueblood", and yet LSU (who is not) has higher revenue, absurdly better results, higher expectations, and more resources than Nebraska does. Having some group that includes actual elite programs like tOSU and Bama lumped in with has-beens like Nebraska and Michigan who haven't done anything in decades is just a weird way to look at things. Clemson and LSU are premier programs and come with more resources, more results, and more pressure than Nebraska does. 

I guess what I'm saying is that it makes more sense to look at elite programs vs. this odd grouping of "blue bloods". And when you do that, you see that it's very possible to pull championship coaches from all over the place, not just "proven guys". If you don't think Swinney wouldn't be successful at Texas because he was unproven and because of our inclusion in an antequated group of "blue bloods", then well, you're crazy (not you - I'm speaking generally).

You can find guys everywhere. Lesser P5 program head coaches. Coordinators. Even G5 teams. You just have to pick the right ones. We have not picked the right ones.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I think you are missing the point here. A hypothetical argument about what you would do if a certain thing were to happen is pointless because most times you end up pissing each other off. Thaler's advice was related to what he called "keys to marital bliss." I find many of those advice apply to real life decision making as well. 

This exact thing happened in my home when a debate broke out about whether Jimmy should have his brother Chuck committed on Better Call Saul.

It actually got heated.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He’s magically landed top 5 recruiting classes surrounded by recruiting cheaters on all sides. He’s dealt with street agents willingly. 

My cousin--one of the numerous UT grads in my family--will, to this day, look you straight in the eye and with the utmost sincerity tell you that there are a great many 18-year-old, inner city/lower middle class/poor, blue chip athletes--who have no previous affinity for Texas--who will happily turn down bucket loads of cold hard cash from other big-time FBS programs in exchange for the honor of being a Longhorn.

I'm genuinely impressed at how important it is to him to hang on to this belief.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, no doubt.  And if Texas doesn't do something soon, they may become Nebraska in that hypothetical.  Yikes.

Ding ding ding. I feel like that’s what the non-urban crowd doesn’t fully understand. We are on a fast track to becoming Nebraska if we don’t get “the guy” in here ASAP. Nobody would’ve said that about Nebraska 20 years ago, but here we are, after 20 years of not being relevant. Urban just guarantees that you avoid that. He’s way too good of a coach to not get this thing turned around in a timely manner. With everyone else, as far as I’m concerned, if our athletic department is selecting them they might as well be Herman or strong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Rather than hone in on something as nebulous as blueblood or non-blueblood, I think you just have to look and see who has been relevant in the time period you want to discuss.

Of course.  I've never been "honed in on blue blood versus non-blue blood".  I made one statement, which was a fact about it and tweedle dumbshit over there tried arguing with me that I was wrong.  I, of course, was not and have proven it repeatedly.  And have moved on from that waste of time.

My only points about blue bloods as they pertain to this discussion, as I mentioned before...1) that it could be the only job Urban would take since anything less seems like a step backward and 2) it is inherently a much taller task managing all the demands of this level of program, which many head coaches aren't equipped for.

3 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I think you are missing the point here. A hypothetical argument about what you would do if a certain thing were to happen is pointless because most times you end up pissing each other off. Thaler's advice was related to what he called "keys to marital bliss." I find many of those advice apply to real life decision making as well. 

Well then he didn't mean you should never argue a hypothetical. He meant you should never act like a petty bitch who has to be right about everything even if it's insignificant towards your spouse. 

Edited by Junior Miller

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Well then he didn't mean you should never argue a hypothetical. He meant you should never act like a petty bitch who has to be right about everything even if it's insignificant towards your spouse. 

We are having a meaningless argument about whether or not Texas should hire Urban when the reality is that the coaching position is not going to be vacant this year. Thaler gave examples from real life to make a broader point. He said he and his spouse argued over where they would live if they took professorships at Stanford but neither had an offer from Stanford at the time. Some people are taking my statement quite literally and not looking at the broader meaning. Ok I am done commenting any further on this.

17 hours ago, Tex Long said:

High on my list, fer sher. But make Urban say "No" first.

Urbs is trouble only a matter of time before another scandal and who knows how big the next one will be. Harsin would fix the offense and without all the baggage that Urbs brings.  either way Vermin..errr Herman has to go.

26 minutes ago, chitown bevo said:

Urbs is trouble only a matter of time before another scandal and who knows how big the next one will be.

All things are matters of time. The moral high ground is an imaginary place, and those who dwell there are welcome to it. 

I assume that the Pope is still able to navigate his coachmanship into the harbor of National Champions, and that he could and would perform such feats as a successor to MensaTom. The fact that he failed to take care of business with Aaron Hernandez at Florida, although he did send Cam Newton packing for "off-field issues" (stealing laptops or the like, iirc), and Zach Smith at tOSU are certainly not to his credit, but I can't see any gigantic departures from what might be expected of coaches, and clearly not close to the level of CAB and his Merry Band of Rapists. 

Given his resume, I think he'd be good for five to seven more seasons before crashing again, and I also think CDC would ride herd on his penchant for obliviousness.

Bring his ass to Austin. Now.

EDIT: or at least by Saturday AM, T+2...

In a nutshell...

The possible downside of hiring a multiple national championship coach who’s never left a program with sanctions >>>>> keeping a coach who’s already proven to be  a loser and who skirts the moral integrity lines himself from time-to-time

And...

The possible downside of hiring a multiple national championship coach who’s never left a program with sanctions >>>>> hiring a prospect coach who you can only hope will be one of a few rare exceptions and be able to translate their mid level success into success at UT

Does that sound about right?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

In a nutshell...

The possible downside of hiring a multiple national championship coach who’s never left a program with sanctions >>>>> keeping a coach who’s already proven to be  a loser and who skirts the moral integrity lines himself from time-to-time

And...

The possible downside of hiring a multiple national championship coach who’s never left a program with sanctions >>>>> hiring a prospect coach who you can only hope will be one of a few rare exceptions and be able to translate their mid level success into success at UT

yes

21 minutes ago, Colonel Mustard said:

It will be a massive failure imo if Urban is sitting there ready to go, with no buyout, and you don't even meet with him.

Kicking this failure can down the road by trying to get Herman a new staff is the dumbest fucking thing we could do. We JUST did this shit with Strong. Herman IS the problem,  he made his bed, he shit in it and he's gonna get 30million doll hairs to go sit on his unlikeable ass with his hot wife. No reason to feel sorry for him, thats an amazing deal. Its all about results and he provided shitty results.

Fuck all these gambles on the small time coaches. Get the established winner that has done it multiple times at the highest levels.

At the end of the day, you people REALLY don't know shit about all the "baggage" about Urban. You only know what has been "reported" in clickbait "news" titles. Innocent until proven guilty motherfuckers, and in the eyes on the law he is clean. Coaches deal with hundreds/thousands on young adults, obviously they are all not going to be angels. It wasnt his hand who pulled the trigger or beat a woman, or any of the other bullshit that you high horse fucks regurgitate with no evidence. You people that are pretending to be saints on a message board are probably the dirtest mofos around.

If you want Urban you’re either A) Hoping he doesn’t do anything scummy here like at previous stops or B) willing to ignore him do scummy shit because for wins.

or C) make yourself look like a idiot by attempting to justify the scummy shit he does. You don’t have 47 arrests including a murderer at your program because the media is being mean to you. The media has been making excuses for Urban ever since he got to Florida. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

If you want Urban you’re either A) Hoping he doesn’t do anything scummy here like at previous stops or B) willing to ignore him do scummy shit because for wins.

or C) make yourself look like a idiot by attempting to justify the scummy shit he does. You don’t have 47 arrests including a murderer at your program because the media is being mean to you. The media has been making excuses for Urban ever since he got to Florida. 

Can’t it just be a combination of A and B? The way I look at it, it’s safe to assume most (if not all) winning programs and winning coaches are doing scummy shit. It’s built into college football. Hell, it’s probably safe to assume that Herman is currently doing scummy shit. It is what it is. I’m not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend like that isn’t going to be the case with any winning coach we find.

40 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

While all of what you said about the days he was at UF are probably true I don't recall that much about arrests and whatnot while at tosu other than the Zack Smith shit and even then the police investigated him multiple times and said they found nothing to prosecute. So I think at this point what Meyer brings is the know how to get shit done and probably not any more scummy behavior then you're going to find at every other major cfb program in the country. I can still see why people wouldn't want him as the symbol of the fb program but I mean things aren't exactly working out so well with the other options the university has been pursuing in recent years. It might be 20 years before another coach with that kind of proven track record is out there to be had.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Where is the “Herman gets a $30million buyout” bullshit coming from? He gets $3million/yr remaining on his agreement, ie., $12million if fires after this year. Is there new data somewhere stating otherwise ?

isn't the buyout $5 million per year remaining?  That's what it was when the contract was originally signed - not sure if that changed when the extension was negotiated.

The buyout owed to UT in the event Herman is lured elsewhere (if only...) is $3 million per year remaining, plus the amount owed to assistant coaches.

You can see a copy of the term sheet released by the Board of Regents here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/12/03/texas-regents-release-term-sheet-tom-herman-28750000-over-5-years/94907810/

Urban Meyer is a god fearing, church going Christian man by golly! I will not have you besmirch his character or devotion to Christ our savior just because football players eventually were arrested almost 50 times and probably committed murder while playing for him. If he wasn’t ordained by god he wouldn’t win all those football games.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

In a nutshell...

And...

So basically if you're going to hire an asshole with questionable morals, you may as well hire one who has a track record of winning championships. The only downside of Urban is he'll leave the program shortly after winning, if history at Florida and tOSU is any indication. Fair trade off though

81b95f6e63157e4d225da38bfc9838d1.jpg
Throwback to this old image.

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If the FSU donors could come up with the money to buy out Taggart, the BMD's at UT should be able to foot that bill

Hell, Bob Rowling could find enough loose change on the floor of the Black Swan on Saturday nights to pay the buyout or under one of his 20 couches

To the “Texas will turn in Nebraska” crowd.  I get the relevancy argument.  However, the built in advantages the school has over NU can’t be overlooked.   

we’re not in a flyover state in the ass of nowhere.  We have access to 1,000+ high schools and pockets as deep as anyone.   Nor did we build our reputation on out of state talent and partial qualifiers.   

It’s the court of public perception that we need to fear.   Recruiting and the transfer portal is such a dynamic process now you have to be at the forefront with top players.  We’ve seen what a school like Baylor can do with great coaching.  We just need to quit fucking the search up.  

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I was told by a former player last night that “Texas is too PC to hire Urban Meyer” sooooo...

ItsNotHappening.gif

This former player, of course, cannot be named?

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

This is my fear. We're run by pussies.

Which, as we all know, means they are undefeated, right?

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I was told by a former player last night that “Texas is too PC to hire Urban Meyer” sooooo...

ItsNotHappening.gif

Well there is the whole thing where he enabled a murderer and a wife beating piece of shit.

Other than that though, he just wins baby! He wouldn't make UT look bad at all!

Edited by Pam Cummings

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

ItsNotHappening.gif

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

This is my fear. We're run by pussies.

But as it turns out the pussies hired a guy who has turned out to not be PC and yet he's going to get to hit the reset button.

What kind of whacky shit is thermensa going to roll out next year if he loses to Strong and then outdoes Strong in RedStick?

In the "PC" department, considering Monday's presser, Therm is a permanent risk to do something idiotic.

It’s ~$5mm/year for four years on Herman’s buyout 

That’s what I though but it doesn’t fucking matter. What good does it do to be the richest athletic program out there if we can’t afford to fire a lame duck coach. And the amount of winning we would do with Meyer would result in so much more money it would make that make that $5mm/yr look like chump change.

What was his game score prediction, like 48-24?  

He definitely picked us to blow out tech, I was thinking maybe he’s not so smart   

It’s going to suck when he ends up at OU and we are looking for a new coach in a year or 2   

On 11/25/2019 at 3:19 PM, Fondren & Main said:

Why can’t we have Urban?  So, he had Aaron Hernandez and Zach Smith.  Mack had: Robert Joseph, Brandon Collins, Erik Hardeman, Andre Jones and Cleve fucking Bryant.  We are no better than anyone else and the fact that half of our BMD’s tried to get Saban proves that.  The other half need to pull their heads from their asses and shitcan Herman today.  

Don't forget the pedo Marco Martin he recruited. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic