Not easy being a man in this country

Fozzz

I saw a disturbing clip a couple years ago where a bunch of SJW protesters had taken to screaming and marching in front of a convention center somewhere (I wanna say East Coast).  Anyway, they were berating and screaming at every man walking in to what turned out to be an All-Male Conference for Men's Issues.  The SJW thought it was horrible offensive that this was taking place.  You find out at the end when a few ladies are talking the SJW protesters off the ledge...that the conference was dealing with men's issues that are incredible outliers from women in terms of addiction, suicide, and there was also a bunch of clinically depressed men there that had lost visitation rights to their children despite not having done anything wrong in terms of criminal activity and were up to date on child support.  It was a very well played little bait and switch.  Anyway, I'll find the link.  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

I saw a disturbing clip a couple years ago where a bunch of SJW protesters had taken to screaming and marching in front of a convention center somewhere (I wanna say East Coast).  Anyway, they were berating and screaming at every man walking in to what turned out to be an All-Male Conference for Men's Issues.  The SJW thought it was horrible offensive that this was taking place.  You find out at the end when a few ladies are talking the SJW protesters off the ledge...that the conference was dealing with men's issues that are incredible outliers from women in terms of addiction, suicide, and there was also a bunch of clinically depressed men there that had lost visitation rights to their children despite not having done anything wrong in terms of criminal activity and were up to date on child support.  It was a very well played little bait and switch.  Anyway, I'll find the link.  

You can find stupid people doing stupid shit all the time.  I don't see a reason to seek it out.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

fake interest cool story bro GIF

We need another Bering Land Bridge. We're at our most happy when we're exploring new shit and killing all the mega fauna. Yeah we might lose a few kids to lions, but at least we don't have a TPS report due Monday followed by a meeting where Karen will yet another bagel eventhough we know she's had 3 already.

18 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Este.

And our current healthcare system is a significant factor in this equation.  In that regard we've got everything backwards, pouring money and resources into bad outcomes (end of life, expensive treatments) and pharmaceuticals rather than preventative medicine and a safety net for those most vulnerable.  

You’re familiar with Japan and the fact that suicide is the leading cause of death for people age 18-39?

because they literally blow your argument out if the water.  

social relationships are the primary cause of suicide in adults. 

Just now, Doc Reeves said:

You’re familiar with Japan and the fact that suicide is the leading cause of death for people age 18-39?

because they literally blow your argument out if the water.  

social relationships are the primary cause of suicide in adults. 

I think you may have misinterpreted the point I was making.  I wasn't speaking to the causes of suicide in adults.  I was speaking more broadly to reasons why overall life expectancy has gone down.

22 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I think you may have misinterpreted the point I was making.  I wasn't speaking to the causes of suicide in adults.  I was speaking more broadly to reasons why overall life expectancy has gone down.

Life expectancy is going down because we're becoming more sedentary in our lives, less connected to physical labor, unadulterated foods, etc.  We're gonna sink America with our (the collective our that is ) obese, fat asses.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Life expectancy is going down because we're becoming more sedentary in our lives, less connected to physical labor, unadulterated foods, etc.  We're gonna sink America with our (the collective our that is ) obese, fat asses.

Would you not agree that our healthcare system's skewed focus on treatment (and the nature and expense in both time and talent of such treatment) rather than prevention of diseases that reduce our life expectancy factors into this?  That's the very basic point I was trying to make.

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Would you not agree that our healthcare system's skewed focus on treatment (and the nature and expense in both time and talent of such treatment) rather than prevention of diseases that reduce our life expectancy factors into this?  That's the very basic point I was trying to make.

It's a double edged sword IMO.  Less babies dying pushes our longevity curve out, better general health care and technology pushes it out as well. But yeah the preventative angle is not as sexy, and profitable as fixing your issues later.

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

While I definitely agree that our health care system is skewed that way and it's horrendously bad from an economic standpoint, I'm not sure any other society has a greatly better handle on preventive care.  Some are culturally predisposed to better lifestyles (diet, labor), but that's not a health-care system issue.

Physical labor jobs, normally filled by men,  that pay well have dried up. That job count isn't zero and never will be, but there are much fewer of them.

Women have dominated grad school admissions lately. As high as 60% now. Men last lead this category in the mid 80s.  The last generation of business leaders that are majority men are retiring.  Each new class of doctors and lawyers are majority women.  I assume that almost every white-collar job is trending female even if women are still the minority.  I work in healthcare, where they actually comment that they need to find more men to hire.

Too many boys are either not trying or failing. Why is that?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

There has literally been billions of your money that has been spent on this analytically gathering data from all over the world over the past 15 years. 

He’s something to think about. African Americans have historically had almost no preventive care, generally eat the absolute worst food in terms of salt, preservatives and fat, have limited social mobility, higher instances of trauma and higher than average stress. Their average life expectancy was completely in line the general population. 

Additionally, African Americans by and large were not prone to suicide despite this population distinction, however, today suicide among African American men has increased significantly.  

the conclusion has been made for some time that some force within our society is making the general population- not just depressed, but hopeless. all indications are that it will get much worse before it gets better. 

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

For suicide/depression and addiction-related deaths, you are making a mistake to conflate external circumstances with the diseases in question in most instances.

As logical as it may seem, those diseases do not follow logic.

I am of the developing opinion that there is something about modern life that is more conducive to mental illness.  Because there is a strong genetic correlation, I think something is altering the genes.  Chemtrails or some shit.

Not altering the genes. We are no longer adapted to our (new) environment. IOW, the internet has replaced a lot of the social interaction we depend on. We are social animals. Social media does not fulfill that social need.

Remember your basic evolutionary theory: the environment does not alter genes, it differentially selects genes that are already there.

5 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Not altering the genes. We are no longer adapted to our (new) environment. IOW, the internet has replaced a lot of the social interaction we depend on. We are social animals. Social media does not fulfill that social need.

Can't speak for everyone, but when I'm stuck in a car with somebody who's a phone addict. I pretty much want to shorten everybody's lifespan.

I believe that this force within society is a combination of the changes occurring in our social groups and social interaction, as mentioned by others above, and the rise of existential nihilism & ontological naturalism.  

I was going to come in with a quippy one liner about the thread title but found your answer much more compelling. Simply put, I was probably happier when I believed in God and eternal life.
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:02 AM, David Dennison said:

It's even harder being white.

My goodness. Y'all are living, breathing The Onion articles here, and blissfully ignorant of it. I don't even have to post the articles any more; y'all are providing the material yourselves.

Not a single one of you whining special snowflake bitches would trade being a white male for being anything else if you had the opportunity. Not one. 

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

My goodness. Y'all are living, breathing The Onion articles here, and blissfully ignorant of it. I don't even have to post the articles any more; y'all are providing the material yourselves.

Not a single one of you whining special snowflake bitches would trade being a white male for being anything else if you had the opportunity. Not one. 

You’re the guy sharing The Onion articles on facebook as news,  not realizing it’s satire.

Edited by formermav43