2020 General MLB off-season

Mo Horn

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Taylor Motter and the Kiwoom Heroes gonna win it all!!!

Are all of these teams owned by/named for kieretsus?

Answering my own question:

Nine of the ten franchises are named after the companies or business conglomerates which own them, while one sold their naming rights (Woori Heroes in 2008, Nexen Heroes from 2010 to 2018, and Kiwoom Heroes from 2019)

I’d been doing ok, keeping myself really busy and distracted/not too distraught at there being no baseball.... but something happened and that all started turning in the last few days.

Really hit me hard after watching the opening 5 minutes of this. Allergies are acting up. pollen must be high with all the wind in Central Texas this mornjng.

Here’s John Fogerty playing Centerfield on a baseball bat-like guitar:

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/24/842977961/fogerty-s-factory-john-fogerty-family-tiny-desk-home-concert

• Like 1

Jeff Passan column on damn-near everything MLB related

Too much to even pull some quotes. I like that MLB is keeping an open mind to a bunch of different formats based on when it's possible to play (without fans sounds like a given). If it gets pushed back well into summer, they might even try a World Cup style tournament to determine a champion as opposed to a regular season.

The collective bargaining and minor league subjects are a little depressing. Passan thinks the bargaining will be ugly but somehow resolved because there's too much on the line. The minor leagues are in trouble though, not sure what can be done there.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Jeff Passan column on damn-near everything MLB related

Too much to even pull some quotes. I like that MLB is keeping an open mind to a bunch of different formats based on when it's possible to play (without fans sounds like a given). If it gets pushed back well into summer, they might even try a World Cup style tournament to determine a champion as opposed to a regular season.

The collective bargaining and minor league subjects are a little depressing. Passan thinks the bargaining will be ugly but somehow resolved because there's too much on the line. The minor leagues are in trouble though, not sure what can be done there.

I'd honestly rather just see a canceled season.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Then you’re not a baseball fan. Some sort of tournament sounds way better than no baseball at all.

Yeah maybe not. I enjoy the slow burn of baseball and don't think it does very well in a world cup style tournament. Any of soccer, hockey, basketball, or football would handle that better than baseball would. Would you consider it the "World Series" if it's the Orioles vs Mets who happened it get hot/lucky over a 20 game schedule? If we consider it something other than a season then I'd be down for it. If you can fit 80ish games in then I'm a happy camper as far as calling it a season.

Edited by SimonBolivar

Wish you hadn't used Mets for the example because in that case I'm a no. But I'd be fine with like 25 other teams celebrating a gimmick championship.

The idea is still to be a best-of-7 LCS and WS, so it's not like the trophy will be awarded based on a broken bat 2-run hit or something.

11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah maybe not. I enjoy the slow burn of baseball and don't think it does very well in a world cup style tournament. Any of soccer, hockey, basketball, or football would handle that better than baseball would. Would you consider it the "World Series" if it's the Orioles vs Mets who happened it get hot/lucky over a 20 game schedule? If we consider it something other than a season then I'd be down for it. If you can fit 80ish games in then I'm a happy camper as far as calling it a season.

I don't care if they do a one and done March Madness format, although I'd prefer a short season full playoff format. I want to see some baseball. Whoever wins can and should count it.  Every team has to play with the same circumstances. 

If they manage to play any baseball this year in any format, the winner and the whole deal is going to have a permanent section at Cooperstown.  Your Orioles may end up being the only WS champ of the 2000s that everyone will remember forever. It will overshadow everything. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

On 4/22/2020 at 5:12 PM, pacman said:

I read the 15 page report. The only useful part is how Watkins worked (pretty simple) and why it stopped for the 2018 post season and beyond (MLB sat in the replay room starting then). The remaining 14 pages are either a cover-up or joke.

The most egregious reads as a 'why this isn't a big deal':

even when Watkins utilized in-game video to revise his advance work, the information was only useful if the opposing team did not again change its sequence after Watkins passed along the information to players, and, only then, if the Red Sox baserunner was able to recognize the sequence provided by Watkins and also inform the batter through a gesture that was understood correctly by the batter.

Can you imagine if the Astros report said 'the information was only useful if the opposing team did not again change its sequence after the trash can bang passed along the information to players, and, only then, if the batter heard the bang before the pitch, understood the bang's meaning, and had time to swing.'

The second worse is

Each Club’s General Manager and Field Manager will be held accountable for ensuring that all of the rules outlined herein are followed by players and Club personnel.

along with

the prohibition on utilizing the replay room to decode signs was not effectively communicated to Red Sox players, and most Red Sox players said that they were unaware that MLB’s rules in 2018 prohibited Watkins from using the replay room during the game to decode signs.

So where's the punishment for Cora or O'Halloran?

The Club’s front office took more than reasonable steps to ensure that its employees, including Watkins, adhered to the rules.

Oh. I thought the players were employees?

Edited by n64ra
  • Like 4

Update on Mancini. 

Baltimore Orioles outfielder Trey Mancini has revealed he is recovering from stage 3 colon cancer and doubts he will play this season if Major League Baseball returns.

The 28-year-old made the announcement in a story he wrote in The Players' Tribune.

He wrote that he had a port put into his chest on April 6 and began chemotherapy on April 13 to treat stage 3 colon cancer. He is scheduled to receive the treatment every two weeks for six months.

Getting "chemo in the age of COVID-19 is crazy," he wrote, describing the added challenges of getting cancer treatment during the coronavirus pandemic.

"I'm getting chemo at a hospital in Baltimore, and I have to drive up there alone," he wrote. "Nobody is allowed to come in with me, and that's completely fine by me. I don't want anybody else being put at risk -- people that are close to me and that I love, and other people in the hospital. You just never know. COVID-19 has spread so quickly. I'm definitely trying to follow all the protocols, not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because I don't want to expose myself to anything, especially before going into chemotherapy."

He added: "If baseball returns in 2020, it will probably be without me."

Mancini said that after his team physical at spring training, doctors informed him his blood tests showed he had low iron levels. He had an endoscopy and colonoscopy on March 6 and had surgery on March 12 to remove a malignant tumor from his colon.

"I know that this is a terrible time for everybody," Mancini said. "So many people have lost jobs, so many people have lost loved ones. After my chemo is done, and when I'm totally cancer-free, I've got a few different ideas of what I can do. I'm lucky enough to have a platform that I feel allows me to make a difference for some people -- even if it's just spreading awareness about the importance of getting a physical every year."

He was one of the few bright spots for the Orioles last season, hitting .291 with 35 home runs and 97 RBIs.

"Really, the support I've gotten from everyone has just been unbelievable," Mancini wrote. "It's given me an appreciation for a lot of things that I've always had, but that were getting overlooked as I went about my day-to-day life. Going through something like this had really made me understand all my blessings."

So the first time offenders who cooperated with investigators got slammed hard, while the repeat offenders, who originated the scheme and were far less forthcoming during the investigation, got a slap on the wrist.  And we're supposed to believe that one of the ringleaders of the schemes completely changed and only used it in limited instances when he moved to the Red Sox.  

Manfred > Red Sox/Yankees = WHO > China

• Like 7

Here’s the proposed realignment for this year
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3039275001?__twitter_impression=true

EAST

New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

WEST

Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners

CENTRAL

Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Here’s the proposed realignment for this year
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3039275001?__twitter_impression=true

EAST

New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

WEST

Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners

CENTRAL

Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

I actually have no problem with that, even though it’s a one-time thing for this year. Pretty drastic decrease in travel for all the teams.

Trey Mancini writes his story for the Players Tribune after recently being diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.  Lengthy, but nice read,  great guy.  If anyone has a family history of colon cancer,  best to have checkups no matter the age.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/i-am-so-lucky-trey-mancini-orioles-cancer

image.thumb.png.914c7061c134bacdba139b304445b087.png

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

Logically there’s nowhere else to put them.

Yeah it sucks.  Also sucks in the AL West.  Need to add a couple of expansion teams then switch to 4 divisions in each league.  No wild cards.

AL East
Red Sox 
Yankees
Orioles
Blue Jays

AL Midwest
Indians
White Sox
Twins
Tigers

AL Mid-South
Royals
Rangers
Rays
New New Orleans or Nashville team

AL West
Mariners
Angels
Athletics
New Portland or Vancouver team

NL East
Phillies
Mets
Nationals
Pirates

NL Midwest
Cubs
Reds
Brewers
Rockies

NL Mid-South
Cardinals
Braves
Marlins
Astros

NL West
Padres
Diamondbacks
Giants
Dodgers

Thanks for putting the Astros back in the NL where they belong, but that's not likely to happen. They won their lone WS in the AL. They're stuck there for the long haul, but I'll go with it here. The biggest mistake you have is placing the Cards in the South (Mid-South sounds odd). They aren't separating from the Cubs. The NL North (odd to have an East, South, and West but no North) would be Cards, Cubs, Rockies, and Brewers. There really isn't a great option for team #4 in the NL South. It'd either be Cinny or Washington. Think I'd prefer the Nats to stay in division with the Braves. The AL South has the same 'who is team #4' problem. KC is far away from Nashville/NO and TB. Baltimore is the only other viable option, which places KC in the AL North and Cleveland in the AL East.

Dorktown with an excellent Ichiro episode.  Between he, Randy Johnson, ARod and Jr, those Ms teams were so cool. 

Baseball around then was awesome even as my team was an abortion.  Ms won a million games out of nowhere.  Mariano getting walked off in the World Series.  Bonds breaking baseball.  Billy Beane winning 100 games.  Such a cool time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I'd rather go back to no divisions, no interleague play, no wild cards. 

The problem with no divisions and no wild cards is the season can become meaningless too early for too many teams. My problem with wild cards is the stupid 1 game playoff. 

40 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The problem with no divisions and no wild cards is the season can become meaningless too early for too many teams. My problem with wild cards is the stupid 1 game playoff. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Nothing like maximizing the number of disinterested fanbases towards the end of every year to grow the game & boost revenue.

Helo and I agree on something? I might have to rethink my position.