Silky Johnston

Cowboy Boots

42 minutes ago, squib said:

Well fellers, let's just say that a big box in the closet revealed more than I had previously outlined. Nephews have picked through. The remaining treasures will be posted here when I get time and a few beers in me. The only teaser I will provide is that the Texas Ranger boots posted above are no longer the prize of the stash. 8 pairs to go--some even have the cow shit still on the soles so you city slicker types can own at least one set of manly footwear that has been off the sidewalk. 

Here is the only pair that fit me. I am plenty happy to add them to my collection. Tony Lama lizard. 

IMG_6707.jpg

These look exactly like my Tony Lama chocolate lizards (those may be black, can't tell), which are my oldest pair of boots. Bought in 1995 - my first "nice" pair of cowboy boots. They're not in the best shape anymore and I would love to buy another pair but I don't think they make them in chocolate anymore.  

I have two pair of customs, but my most comfortable pair are some 18 year old Justin Ropers in ostrich.

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2020 at 9:45 PM, squib said:

These are 10.5

Most seem to be 11

I may offer up a few pair. Gonna hold back a few pair for his grandsons. For the others--I'd be glad to know they are being worn by you assholes. 

I'm an 11 and need more boots.

I have a pair of Tony Lama Lizard Ropers from the 80s or early 90s that look like those just shorter shaft.  I love them.  Wear black socks with them, they do leave dye on white socks.

Edited by TexasEd
lizard

On 7/3/2020 at 11:05 AM, Steel Shank said:

I have two pair of customs, but my most comfortable pair are some 18 year old Justin Ropers in ostrich.

Are they your only pair of ostrich?  Obviously, to most, ostrich is pretty thin and flexible, but also durable.  But I read somewhere that the holes in the bumps where the quills were function as ventilation.  Makes perfect sense, but it had never occurred to me.

Those Tony Lamas upthread are noice.  It's a shame how far the Berkshire Hathaway boots have fallen.

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are they your only pair of ostrich?  Obviously, to most, ostrich is pretty thin and flexible, but also durable.  But I read somewhere that the holes in the bumps where the quills were function as ventilation.  Makes perfect sense, but it had never occurred to me.

Those Tony Lamas upthread are noice.  It's a shame how far the Berkshire Hathaway boots have fallen.

I own four pair of ostrich. Of the customs, one is ostrich, the other is standard cowhide.

^ Product placement :)  Looks like the exotics are imitation if I'm reading it right. 

$159 for caimans and poster has no posts before this. Seems legit.

I'll test your product though if you need a tester

Can't vouch for that site, but I own a pair of El General real alligator boots. They are very similar to the ones in the picture. Ended up getting drunk  one night at my favorite Mexican place and my waitress' husband was a boot dealer. We had a great time drinking and talking and he let me order whatever I wanted at his cost. I guess I have owned them for 10 years or so and they are well made. 

spacer.png

The majority of your boots these days that aren't hand welted and probably even some that are are going to be made in Leon. That's not a bad thing, but not necessarily a good thing either. It just is what it is.