Chris Ash Defense

LTtxfan

21 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i like this, and it's great and all, but...um, this is how i was taught to tackle in the 7th fucking grade. see what you hit, head to the side and fucking wrap up is about as fundamental as it gets.

Absolutely, but the game somehow got away from that over the decades as guys went more and more for the big hit vs just getting the runner on the ground. Rugby guys consistently tackle the right way, while most football players consistently don't ... so they had to resort to using rugby players as a good example of how it should be done. I mean yeah, it's old school tackling the right way, or rugby tackling, or whatever you wanna call it. I'm just glad someone will be emphasizing it with the Horns now, because our tackling has been fucking painful AF to watch.

Edited by wood

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015/04/52228/video-heres-pete-carroll-explaining-rugby-tackling-which-revolutionized-ohio-states-defenseIf
VIDEO: HERE'S PETE CARROLL EXPLAINING RUGBY TACKLING, WHICH REVOLUTIONIZED OHIO STATE'S DEFENSE.   By D.J. Byrnes on April 7, 2015
Remember in 2013 when Ohio State was bad at tackling? Those were not fun times. But then Urban Meyer brought in Chris Ash, and well, the fruits of the hire played out on national television back in January.
So what kind of tweaks did Ash make? (Here's Ross a year ago asking schematic questions.) Allow Chris Ash himself to tell you the biggest change Ohio State made, via Scout.com:
"The No. 1 thing I'll tell you is we've become a rugby tackling team," Ash said, explaining he was inspired to learn more about such a method after seeing an instructional video from Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll last summer. The video has become very popular over the past couple of years within football circles.
Kerry Coombs concurred today after Ohio State's ninth spring practice:

that looks awful* familiar

*awful for ballcarriers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zharkov said:

Does this mean we'll also get some non-kicker Aussies on the team?  Some pipe hittin', kangaroo punching goons might be nice...

Just remember, before you get into a boxing match with a kangaroo, always check the pouch.  Lots of times there’ll be a mini kangaroo inside that will punch you right in the nuts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wood said:

What's the Zubia reference here? Guess I missed it ...

It's a joke... Here's the comment by the Zubia reference: 

There will be quotes out of spring ball to the effect of "... I really didn't know how to tackle until now, it's not something we really worked on ... "

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Everyone keeps saying Ash was an analyst working here but I haven't seen that actually reported, everything I can find just says he came through before the OU game, not that he was added to the staff. I know his wikipedia page has him working as an analyst here but the sources cited don't back that up.

Edited by Thermos H. Christ

5 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Everyone keeps saying Ash was an analyst working here but I haven't seen that actually reported, everything I can find just says he came through before the OU game, not that he was added to the staff. I know his wikipedia page has him working as an analyst here but the sources cited don't back that up.

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20191112/fired-rutgers-coach-chris-ash-reflects-on-struggles-at-school-after-leaving-ohio-state

Per this  Nov 12th article, Ash was only in Austin for a short time...

Quote:  "Ash has spent the past six weeks with his wife, Doreen, and four children. He has traveled to different programs to observe how they run. One of them was Texas and fellow former Ohio State assistant Tom Herman, but contrary to reports, Ash isn’t working for the Longhorns.  Ash is financially secure, but he is eager to get back into coaching. He hopes to get a defensive coordinator job for next season in college football. If not, he’ll pursue an NFL job."

22 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Of course we haven’t focused on the facts. The facts don’t support the narrative that he sucks. Why would we focus on those?

5 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i like this, and it's great and all, but...um, this is how i was taught to tackle in the 7th fucking grade. see what you hit, head to the side and fucking wrap up is about as fundamental as it gets.

Yeah, unfortunately "hey watch me form tackle this dude" isn't as rewarding on social media for kids today

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

DAMN... Ian Boyd is not a fan of Chris Ash hire.  

Dec 16th:  Ian Boyd (Inside Texas) Interview on Afternoons with Chad and Kevin.

Starts at beginning of the Hour  (1:30 Mark)

Ash’s scheme is not his strong suit, so Boyd was never going to be a fan, but Boyd loses the forest for the trees constantly, so his opinion on this shouldn’t mean much.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Or maybe what you said was just fundamentally stupid? You should consider that option more often when people give similar responses to your posts, or really just in general. 

Scipio laid it out pretty perfectly:

When a head coach flies down a former defensive coordinator colleague who shared a national title run with him as a consultant in the middle of a football season while his current defensive coordinator is failing, it's pretty clear that he's going to play a role in the next staff. It's like a man flying in his ex-girlfriend to get some input on his failing wife. "Honey, you remember Sherri. She's going to live with us for a while. Follow you around. Just offer helpful tips and stuff."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Chris Ash DB drills from his time at Wisconsin.  Includes his 'DB Ten Commandments'

Ash's DB 10 Commandments:

1. I will play what I see.  My eyes tell me the truth.  I will not guess
  2. I will never jump routes.  My film study and preperation will allow my technique to take me to the ball/
  3. I will do my job and trust that my teammates will do theirs.
  4. I will make every play that comes to me.
  5. If I don't know I will play the deepest route.
  6. I will be a complete player and tackle at a high level.
  7. I will give 100%, 100% of the time.
  8. I will punish and outwork my opponent.
  9. I will walk with a swagger and play with confidence.
  10. I will be the standard for how we play.

I used this exact same video 3 years ago coaching defense when we took our pop warner team all the way to the national tourney at ESPN we didn’t give up a single passing td all season so we are def gonna win a natty 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

Exactly. An entire article dedicated to talking about it like it's some kind of genius. Fucking unbelievable. What gets me is that it's actually a pervasive problem in college football, only more infuriating when it's Texas that can't tackle for chit. I can't understand why Tom Herman allowed it to go on. Sure Todd Orlando is gone, but it happened on Herman's watch. Both of those guys are old enough to have seen and played football when tackling was generally done correctly.

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

Exactly. An entire article dedicated to talking about it like it's some kind of genius. Fucking unbelievable. What gets me is that it's actually a pervasive problem in college football, only more infuriating when it's Texas that can't tackle for chit. I can't understand why Tom Herman allowed it to go on. Sure Todd Orlando is gone, but it happened on Herman's watch. Both of those guys are old enough to have seen and played football when tackling was generally done correctly.

fuck me, it occurs to me that mack was fucking right.

Now that he is ours lets shine up this turd of a hire. As I have said this hire is not bad based on Ash's resume. It is bad because Herman is doubling down on hiring buddies instead of hiring the best or finding innovative solutions.

1) When he left Wisconsin to go to Arkansas

UW defensive backs praised Ash’s ability to improve their techniques and fundamentals. Cornerback Antonio Fenelus struggled early in his career, but was a first-team All-Big Ten Conference player as a senior a year ago.

Senior cornerback Devin Smith made similar strides in his career and was an All-Big Ten second-team pick this season. Senior Marcus Cromartie, the other current starting cornerback, is one of the most improved players on the team the last two seasons.

https://madison.com/sports/college/football/badgers-football-chris-ash-hired-as-bielema-s-defensive-coordinator/article_2f32f40a-43eb-11e2-b211-001a4bcf887a.html

2) Predicting how Chris Ash would fix Ohio State's Ongoing Struggle with Cover 4

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/03/34174/chris-ash-and-ohio-states-ongoing-struggle-cover-4-part-i

3) Ash fixes Ohio State defense

Following a 2013 season where Ohio State’s defense was short-circuited by porous pass coverage, Urban Meyer tasked new defensive coordinator Chris Ash with overhauling the Buckeyes’ secondary. Ash’s success in correcting that pass defense was critical to the Buckeyes’ 2014 national championship run.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015/06/54741/breaking-down-the-ohio-state-defensive-clinic-part-ii

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

As I have said this hire is not bad based on Ash's resume. It is bad because Herman is doubling down on hiring buddies instead of hiring the best or finding innovative solutions.

Yeah, I'm here. The list of realistic candidates that would have been clearly, objectively better than Ash in terms of qualifications is pretty short. But the Herman bro thing means he will get very little in the way of slack. 

One thing I am looking forward to is him working with this group of DBs. There is a fuckton of talent in the secondary, and it's found ways to flash at times over the past two years in spite of Todd Orlando. If Ash is anywhere near the DB coach he is reputed to be, the Texas secondary should be playing much better football next year.

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, I'm here. The list of realistic candidates that would have been clearly, objectively better than Ash in terms of qualifications is pretty short. But the Herman bro thing means he will get very little in the way of slack. 

One thing I am looking forward to is him working with this group of DBs. There is a fuckton of talent in the secondary, and it's found ways to flash at times over the past two years in spite of Todd Orlando. If Ash is anywhere near the DB coach he is reputed to be, the Texas secondary should be playing much better football next year.

I hope he makes some good position coach hires. If we're going fundamentals and development, which is fine, we have to be pretty critical of the guys that have been here the past three years.

Chris Ash will reportedly be the next defensive coordinator at the University of Texas. He brings with him a 4-3 over look, which creates mismatches in one on one match-ups for the offensive line. This is just what the doctor ordered for a Longhorns defense which ranked ranked 108 with a sack percentage of 4.4 percent in 2019. This video will explain how the 4-3 over look will help Texas create more pressure on the quarterback without relying heavily on the blitz.

• Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...

(Chip Brown) Texas defensive players ready to give Chris Ash a chance

SAN ANTONIO, Texas — The month of December has taken Texas defensive players on an emotional journey. Just when they thought things were improving, following a win over Texas Tech in the Longhorns’ regular-season finale, they learned on Dec. 1 their defensive coordinator — Todd Orlando — had been fired. On Dec. 2, Orlando had players over to his house to say goodbye. And last week, they met Orlando’s replacement — former Rutgers head coach and former Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Chris Ash.

Just days away from a New Year's Eve matchup with No. 11 Utah (11-2) in the Valero Alamo Bowl, some of the brightest returning players for Texas (7-5) on defense said Saturday they think the locker room is still bought into the Longhorns’ program heading into 2020.

“I for sure believe that everyone is still bought in,” said sophomore safety Caden Sterns, a freshman All-American in 2018 who battled through injuries in 2019. “Coaching changes are hard. But coach Herman believed they were for the best.” Added sophomore nose tackle Keondre Coburn: “It’s a business, and if someone goes, you’re gonna be sad. But if they bring someone new in, we owe it as players to listen. And if they teach me a different way to win, I’m going to listen.”

Sophomore linebacker Joseph Ossai, who also lost his position coach (Orlando coached linebackers), said the Texas locker room has been through a lot in a month, but added players have to grow from the experience. “There haven’t been signs that guys will be portaling out of here,” Ossai said. “We just have to give him (Ash) a chance. You can’t say you want to leave and you don’t even know the guy. You don’t know what he does or how he teaches. We just need to give him time and go through spring ball and see what he’s all about; see what his defense is about.”

Sterns, Coburn and Ossai all expressed excitement about a defense they think will be greatly improved in 2020. “We had a lot of guys play this year, so we should be more experienced and fast (next year),” Sterns said. “We’ve got a lot of playmakers. So, it’s time to start making plays like we know we can.” Ossai said the defense picked up valuable experience because of all the adversity (injuries, difficult losses,etc.) it went through in 2019.

“We have experience now,” Ossai said. “So, we’ve got more confidence and a little bit of swag. At the corner position, confidence is everything. Hopefully, those younger guys have more confidence, and we go into next year with more confidence as a defense.”

Ash met with the defense last week and said he is looking forward to working with the Longhorns after the Alamo Bowl. Ash then met with some players individually, including Sterns, Coburn and Ossai. “I was lifting, and he came in,” Coburn said of Ash. “He sounds like a really positive guy. I believe in him already. So I just have to see what he has planned.”

Before moving on, Orlando made sure he had a proper goodbye with his players by inviting them over to his house on Dec. 2, the day after Orlando was fired. “He was just calm,” Ossai said of Orlando. “He was just asking us how we were doing personally. You could tell he missed us. He understands this business and was calm. He was happy to see us, and we just tried not to make it awkward.”

When Ossai received a text from teammate Ayodele Adeoye that Orlando had been fired, Ossai said he felt guilty. “I immediately started to think about specific plays that if I would’ve made, maybe the situation would be different,” Ossai said. “That’s what kept running through my mind. I felt really guilty.” Ossai said in Texas’ loss at TCU: “It was third-and-long, and the quarterback escaped a sack by (Malcolm) Roach in the end zone, ran out and juked me and got the first down.”

Against Oklahoma: “Multiple times, I had a chance to sack the quarterback and didn’t get him down. Also, CeeDee Lamb, I missed a tackle on him,” Ossai said. But Ossai said he had to get over the guilt and start focusing on the Longhorns’ Alamo Bowl matchup with Utah. “You’ve got to move on,” Ossai said. “He (Orlando) would want us to move on and do our best. So, we’ve got to keep going.”

Another thx to [mention=4348]TheMailBox357[/mention] 

Anyone who was frustrated with our misuse of personnel and over reliance on complicated schemes vs allowing superior talent to play fast with simple assignments should watch this.

It's like he gave the interview as part of a job application to take over for Orlando.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Jeff Howe: Three words encapsulate Chris Ash's core defensive beliefs

Ball. Battle. Brotherhood. With Texas unable to go through spring practice as had been scheduled due to the coronavirus pandemic, those three words have only been seen publicly in a tweet by defensive line coach Oscar Giles on Feb. 21. If the Longhorns were on the field, by now the public would have certainly learned the meaning behind what those words and how important it is to how Chris Ash wants Texas to play defense under his watch.

When the Longhorns do get back together, and by the time Ash gets his charges on the field for his first official practice as defensive coordinator, the three-word creed will become known as Ash’s core beliefs on that side of the ball. “What we're going to believe in here at the University of Texas on defense are really three things,” Ash said in February during a coaching lecture at the Central Texas High School Coaches Association winter clinic series, which Horns247 attended. “It's going to be what we hang our hat on.”

When it comes to the ball third of the equation, Ash wants the Longhorns to be a defense capable of forcing turnovers in bunches. That’s translated to success in the Tom Herman era with 16 of the program’s 25 wins under the current head coach coming when Texas has recorded two or more takeaways (16-4 record). “Our job defensively is to get the ball back for the offense,” Ash said. “Somehow, someway, get the ball back. We want to be a defense that can create takeaways; that's got to be our mindset. It's going to drive what we do in meetings, what we do in practice and everything is going to be about the ball.”

There’s not a deep meaning to battle. Ash wants his players to compete in everything they do each and every day in order to have their competitive edge as sharp as possible at all times. “Whether it's in the weight room, whether it's at practice, in games, in the classroom, it's going to be about the ball, it's going to be about battling,” Ash said. As for brotherhood, again, that doesn’t need much of an in-depth explanation.

“It’s going to be about being a teammate,” Ash said. “The brotherhood. That's a big thing with the team, but it's even a bigger thing on the units on defense to make sure that we're holding each other accountable, we're challenging each other and that we're doing everything we can to push each other to be the best that we can be.”

Ash was hired on Dec. 15 to turn around a defense under former coordinator Todd Orlando that finished among the worst single-season defenses in school history in points per game allowed (27.4, No. 7), total yards allowed (5,609, No. 1), yards per play allowed (6.11, No. 2), total yards per game allowed (431.5, No. 3), percentage of pass attempts intercepted (2.49, No. 6), opponent completion percentage (63.4, No. 1), passing yards per game allowed (292.5, No. 1), touchdown passes allowed (28), fewest fumble recoveries (seven, tied for No. 2) and fewest forced fumbles (13, No. 3).

Even though Ash is forced to put things on hold with no spring practice when it comes to getting the players much-needed live reps within his system, Herman said this week that the scheme work the Longhorns were able to do during winter conditioning allowed enough time for the installation of “all of the normal down-and-distance” defense and he’s been impressed watching his former Iowa State (2009) and Ohio State (2014) colleague in action.

“Chris has been what I thought he'd be,” Herman said. “Chris was a head coach for four years in our time working together at Iowa State and Ohio State you could tell he had 'head coach' written all over him in his attention to detail, his organization skills. He's done a great job leading that room.” As long as Ash is calling the defense on the Forty Acres, he’s going to lead on that side of the ball with three things taking precedence over everything else in what the Longhorns do. “Those are the three things that I believe in, that we're going to focus on with our defense,” Ash said. “Get the ball back, battle and compete your [butt] off, be a competitive [player] and be a good teammate and contribute to the brotherhood of the football team and more specifically the brotherhood on defense.”

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2020 at 3:32 PM, satyanash said:

Jeff Howe: Three words encapsulate Chris Ash's core defensive beliefs

Not sure why the same article was re-released two months later, but here yah go...

Three words encapsulate Chris Ash's core defensive beliefs

ByJEFF HOWE 7 minutes ago

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Chris-Ash-defensive-core-beliefs-three-words-147706432/

On 12/16/2019 at 7:27 PM, LTtxfan said:

DAMN... Ian Boyd is not a fan of Chris Ash hire --  sounds like Eeyore!!

Dec 16th:  Ian Boyd (Inside Texas) Interview on Afternoons with Chad and Kevin.

Starts at beginning of the Hour  (1:30 Mark)

God help anyone who can sit through an hour and  a half of chad and kevin