Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I don't know why cowboys fans are disappointed.  No coach with a current HC job in college or the NFL we're going to ever agree to be a Jones puppet. No big time prospect coordinator like a Roman or Bieniemy with options coming up for HC jobs would choose to be a Jones puppet. 

Like I said before this was going to be someone who was previously a head coach and is now a retread who is desperate enough to agree to be a puppet and/or work in an organizational culture that is this toxic. The only choices were people like McCarthy, Marvin Lewis, Norv Turner, Jeff Fisher, Hugh Jackson, Jim Caldwell, etc. 

Out of that list McCarthy was the only one with any winning credentials. He just became desperate because no one wanted him after his public rift with Rodgers and after a complete rookie HC just walked in and coached up/schemed the same team McCarthy underachieved with to a first round bye in the playoffs. 

Will he win in Dallas? No. No one can. It's a well poisoned by inbred arky idiocy and a roster that hit it's peak in talent this season and now will become ravished by bad contracts and poor drafting. People locally like to ride McClay's nuts but outside of that great 2016 draft they've been terrible. 2017-2019 drafts were poor and the roster is about to take a major dip in talent. 

Listened to that asshole Fisher a little bit a few mins ago. Fisher doesn't think Jerry has been hiring puppets so much as guys that he would consider loyal, which makes sense because you can a lot of things about Jerry but it's a big leap to say the man isn't loyal (let's leave Jean and his "extra-curricular activities" out of this for a minute).

My initial reaction is to hate this hire. I did not want Urban. At all. Add ZERO NFL experience with what I think of him as a human and I didn't want him anywhere near a team I root for. Riley is a major unknown, as is Rhule. Jerry wanted somebody with NFL experience and skins on the wall. Belichick isn't coming. Neither is Tomlin. Or Payton -- and so on down the line. McCarthy was gettable. I didn't like the hire initially -- and perhaps would've liked to see a little more due diligence here -- but I think what we have in McCarthy is better than what is leaving with Garrett.

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

So Jerry spent 6 days too long officially firing Jason and at least 7 if not 14 days too little interviewing potential replacements.

We’re right on schedule for the shitshow boys.

If you have your guy, pull the trigger. The timing doesn’t bother me. McCarthy may not be a perfect hire, but I don’t think another week or two of interviews of other candidates would change anyone’s minds about him. 

16 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I may be in the minority but I feel like this is a home run hire. McCarthy is a disciplined coach. I expect him to straighten out a lot of the stupid penalties and dumb bullshit we do to always lose close games. McCarthy wont put up with Jerry's shit and will command respect from players. He also has a huge chip on his shoulder and is out to prove he is more than just a beneficiary of Aaron Rodgers. I expect this to be a wildly successful move immediately. Also saw some smoke of bringing Rex Ryan in as DC, yes please.  

This is the one part I’m holding out hope for, because I felt like Garrett was lost in this regard. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I may be in the minority but I feel like this is a home run hire. McCarthy is a disciplined coach. I expect him to straighten out a lot of the stupid penalties and dumb bullshit we do to always lose close games. McCarthy wont put up with Jerry's shit and will command respect from players. He also has a huge chip on his shoulder and is out to prove he is more than just a beneficiary of Aaron Rodgers. I expect this to be a wildly successful move immediately. Also saw some smoke of bringing Rex Ryan in as DC, yes please.  

Satire is hard, but you have it mastered.

39 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the question is if McCarthy made the playoffs or Favre/Aaron Rodgers made the playoffs 8 years in a row. 

Another question is would the Packers have made the playoffs 8 years in a row if they were in a division that wasn't comprised of the Lions, Bears, and Vikings who were mostly shitty during the playoff streak?

If you have your guy, pull the trigger. The timing doesn’t bother me. McCarthy may not be a perfect hire, but I don’t think another week or two of interviews of other candidates would change anyone’s minds about him. 

Agree but interviewing two guys isn’t exactly laying a good groundwork for knowing you have your guy. There’s a middle ground between dragging it on forever and falling in love with the first chick that fucks you.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Another question is would the Packers have made the playoffs 8 years in a row if they were in a division that wasn't comprised of the Lions, Bears, and Vikings who were mostly shitty during the playoff streak?

Good News!  he is in a similarly shitty division

• Like 1

I get it y’all didn’t get who yall wanted. But it is an upgrade. Deal with it.

Horn radio just stated the stat: most playoff wins since 2006...Belichek then McCarthy. He has a proven track record.

And those defending Rodgers is dumb. He is a dick to work with per lots of players. GB finally spent $ and got a Defense which helped them win games this season. Their offense has been weak and struggled this year despite the record. Trust me...I had Rodgers and Adams on my ff team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I bet you are a lot of fun at parties. Cant wait to watch you be completely right. 

I'm fun no matter where I am. I'm no genius, but I was blessed with the ability to get a first-hand look at pure dysfunction over a 25 year period and be able to deduce who the common denominator is and know that as long as that doesn't change nothing is going to change. 

40 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Look I know noone expected me to hate whoever they hired, but I"m actually glad it's him and not some college coach with no skins on the wall in the NFL, or some other retread like Lewis or Fisher.

McCarthy helped develop Rodgers and went to a TON of playoff games with a bunch of wins and a SB Win.  At the very worst he's an upgrade.  At the best they are legit SB contenders.

22 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This is the one part I’m holding out hope for, because I felt like Garrett was lost in this regard. 

This is true too.

28 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Listened to that asshole Fisher a little bit a few mins ago. Fisher doesn't think Jerry has been hiring puppets so much as guys that he would consider loyal, which makes sense because you can a lot of things about Jerry but it's a big leap to say the man isn't loyal (let's leave Jean and his "extra-curricular activities" out of this for a minute).

That's just two ways of saying the same thing. Wanting someone "loyal" means wanting someone who will follow orders and not challenge the status quo. It's the same terminology trump uses to describe the complicit sycophants he keeps around him and Jerry is the same way. The meeting with McCarthy were to judge just how "loyal" he's willing to be. 

33 minutes ago, C-Man said:

My initial reaction is to hate this hire. I did not want Urban. At all. Add ZERO NFL experience with what I think of him as a human and I didn't want him anywhere near a team I root for. Riley is a major unknown, as is Rhule. Jerry wanted somebody with NFL experience and skins on the wall. Belichick isn't coming. Neither is Tomlin. Or Payton -- and so on down the line. McCarthy was gettable. I didn't like the hire initially -- and perhaps would've liked to see a little more due diligence here -- but I think what we have in McCarthy is better than what is leaving with Garrett.

There were far better coaches with far higher ceilings out there BUT not available to Jerry. The dysfunction has gone on long enough and publicly enough that no one with options is signing up for it. Knowing that I felt this was the best possible hire in the same way a broken down 2001 Corolla is probably the best car for someone with only $300 in their pocket. Until Jerry is gone and if then the kids prove themselves to not be as toxic to winning this thing will never again attract a legit HC. 

3 hours ago, Fozzz said:

This hire does seem pretty lame, but if I were a Cowboys fan I'd try to find a silver lining here:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/mike-mccarthy-coaching-nfl-fmia-week-15-peter-king/

It will be interesting to see how serious he is about implementing these things.

There’s a flow chart for his proposed 14-person Football Technology Department, including a six-person video unit and an eight-person analytics team. The Chief of Football Technology tops the department, which will run both video and analytics. The top analytics lieutenants will be a Coordinator of Database Management, Coordinator of Football Analytics and Coordinator of Mathematical Innovation. Below them: Football Technology Engineer and two Football Technology Analysts. And finally, a Football Technology Intern. McCarthy spent a day last summer at Pro Football Focus offices in Cincinnati, discovering how much more data is available than he realized. PFF data will be a key component of his analytics tree, as will GPS tracking of players and Next Gen Stats.

The mathematical innovation hire will be crucial. “This guy here has to see the world differently,” McCarthy said, pointing to that job on the flow chart. “He will be very, very important.”

And.... i guess i'm behind the times..... but.... .doesn't every team already have a dozen+ people doing this stuff?   I see 20 surfaces on every sideline.  What the fuck are they using them for if not realtime analytics?

Very impressive, thanks for pointing this out 

Also 8 straight playoff appearances
4 NFC title games

Unlike athletes who take a year off, a Coach won’t lose his touch. He had probably been studying the league all year to make his adjustments.

I mean we are in the NFC East...we are gona be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

And.... i guess i'm behind the times..... but.... .doesn't every team already have a dozen+ people doing this stuff?   I see 20 surfaces on every sideline.  What the fuck are they using them for if not realtime analytics?

Well, being sponsored by MS Surface, they had to have them all out.  Likely they were just playing solitaire on the Cowboys sideline. 

There’s a flow chart for his proposed 14-person Football Technology Department, including a six-person video unit and an eight-person analytics team. The Chief of Football Technology tops the department, which will run both video and analytics. The top analytics lieutenants will be a Coordinator of Database Management, Coordinator of Football Analytics and Coordinator of Mathematical Innovation. Below them: Football Technology Engineer and two Football Technology Analysts. And finally, a Football Technology Intern. McCarthy spent a day last summer at Pro Football Focus offices in Cincinnati, discovering how much more data is available than he realized. PFF data will be a key component of his analytics tree, as will GPS tracking of players and Next Gen Stats.

The mathematical innovation hire will be crucial. “This guy here has to see the world differently,” McCarthy said, pointing to that job on the flow chart. “He will be very, very important.”

that's the shit I saw and I knew there was a particular hillbilly mother fucker that would fall for it hook line and sinker 

Edited by michaelpshayes

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

tenor (1).gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So Jerry calls belicheck first right????

Then go after tony dungy as HC and Lincoln Riley as oc

Then, after being turned down a couple times, go sign mike McCarthy??

Welp according to Jay Glazer, the Cowboys have agreed to terms with McCarthy as our new head coach. Less than inspiring in my opinion 

and there it is 

5937b367d304cab5128f8e158bb0f6be.jpg

Is it confirmed that ginger was interfering with boy genius in play design and play calling? I'm willing to think he's worthwhile to keep around (especially since McCarthly likely has no choice) but his inexperience still worries me. I like that at his age he'd be more up to date and ambitious to keep up with the trends.

16 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Not every team does.  I don't think the Titans do, for instance.  I bet there are many teams with a "department" comprising a few guys whose insights are not valued at all by the coaching staff and thus not implemented. The article creates the impression that McCarthy sees a lot of value in having a cutting edge analytics department and thus will be willing to implement any insight it may provide.  Of course, who knows if that will actually happen.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Is it confirmed that ginger was interfering with boy genius in play design and play calling? I'm willing to think he's worthwhile to keep around (especially since McCarthly likely has no choice) but his inexperience still worries me. I like that at his age he'd be more up to date and ambitious to keep up with the trends.

So I’ve cooled off a little bit. This is what I’ll say. Not a sexy hire at all, but:

1. Clearly better than Garrett on game day. That doesn’t mean much, but that almost can’t be disputed

2. This team and this organization has lost to mike McCarthy led teams basically every time they’ve had a big year. If nothing else, he should command a lot more respect than Garrett

3. with the right defensive coordinator, I think at least just from a “new voice” standpoint, this is the safest hire we could’ve gotten. At the very least he knows what he’s doing more than Garrett 

with that being said, I bet him accepting the job was contingent on keeping Kellen Moore and Jon Kitna. Who knows if Moore will call plays (since McCarthy has done that for the majority of his HC career) but I know the Jones family wants to keep those two around for Dak’s development. I don’t know. It’s not super exciting, but it’s an upgrade over Garrett. Whatever