Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

18 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Around hour 5 or so I start adding the oak chips with the steel, hollow, half-moon chip loader that came with the Sapphire smoker.  I probably add two of the loaders full of chips every 2 hours or so.  I stop adding chips when I'm about 2 hours away from the meat being done. A large brisket usually takes me about 10 hours until it probes done.

I don't think I have the ability to load chips during a cook with the Kamado Joe.  But I'll try your method with the small log next time I fire it up. 

11 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

I don't think I have the ability to load chips during a cook with the Kamado Joe.  But I'll try your method with the small log next time I fire it up. 

That's the main reason I went with the Sapphire.  I love it.  If you can't find a small log of oak, I would scatter several large oak chunks around the lump charcoal before you light it and hopefully you have some  oak burning throughout the smoke.

4 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

I noticed this, too.  I was thinking of putting a drip pan with some liquid (smoke) on the deflector plate to prevent on future smokes.  Or just smoke at a lower temp. 

Liquid in the drip pan mainly just evaporates off.  Had friends try beer, wine/herbs, etc.  Hard to say it had a significant impact of taste.  You can always spritz (I use apple cider vinegar).  One of the primary benefits (using liquid, which you have to refill) is droppings don't burn and give off an acrid smoke like they do when they hit a hot deflector plate/stone.  

I've also heard of sand in your drip pan.  Keep it a few inches above the deflector plate so it's not resting directly on top (heat sink, thermal mass, all that).  

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

That's the main reason I went with the Sapphire.  I love it.  If you can't find a small log of oak, I would scatter several large oak chunks around the lump charcoal before you light it and hopefully you have some  oak burning throughout the smoke.

Those are pretty slick looking.  So I've heard from my crusty, retired Dallas fire fighter FIL (of 34 years who is my brisket Sherpa) that after an internal temp of 140-145, that's it for smoke penetration.  So I've always loaded early and let oak/wood chunks run their course and never refilled.  After that you are just rendering fat.  Not sure on the science of it.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Those are pretty slick looking.  So I've heard from my crusty, retired Dallas fire fighter FIL (of 34 years who is my brisket Sherpa) that after an internal temp of 140-145, that's it for smoke penetration.  So I've always loaded early and let oak/wood chunks run their course and never refilled.  After that you are just rendering fat.  Not sure on the science of it.  

I don't have an opinion on the smoke penetration issue, except that I start with some oak and I add oak chips until a few hours before it's done and I like the results.  And, IMO, the meat is way under smoked when all you use is lump charcoal.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I don't have an opinion on the smoke penetration issue, except that I start with some oak and I add oak chips until a few hours before it's done and I like the results.  And, IMO, the meat is way under smoked when all you use is lump charcoal.

Agreed.  I started adding cured wood chunks to my lump and it really improved the taste/texture.  I just don't add in extra after the initial amount.  So far so good.  And if you wrap at all (foil or paper) than it's a non-issue.  

I just mix in chunks with the lump and start the fire just in a portion of the coals. The wood burns throughout the cook providing plenty of smoke for the time it matters. Basically mimicking the Minion method.
This is what i do as well. Works great for me.

• 2 weeks later...

(hope this works; photo host has been screwy lately)

This 17.74lb-er jumped into my cart one day.  I just liked it's shape.  Had to get a bit creative to get it to fit on the large BGE.  Found a new use for the v-rack.  Over hickory at 235*.

47968374798_9752e0bba4_b.jpg

47968353387_1d20a9b95d_b.jpg

After about 6 hours, the brisket had shrunk enough that I could remove the rack.

47968415381_1431c325b4_b.jpg

Was "done" when it was probing like hot butter around 203* internal.  Then I let it rest for an hour.

47968352772_f9319d595b_b.jpg

We were having an impromptu pool party, and I was only able to take one pic sliced before the guests super smashed it to bolivia.

47968352397_d3aa481636_b.jpg

47968373203_5a3ca1acb7_b.jpg

Total cook time was nearly 24 hours.  This was the biggest brisket I had done.  It was fun, but I'm really narrowing in on the 11-13lb primes as my go-to. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m doing the same thing. Pool party later today. I was lazy and didn’t hook up the Guru, so the temp got away. I checked it at the 5 hour mark and it was up to 350°. Clamped it back down.

Yeah, happens.  My dual-probe thermometer helps, but it's a cheap model so it's range it pretty limited.  So besides the deckle, how much is everyone trimming?  I ask because I used to be pretty fastidious about trimming.  Too much I found, so I'm trimming less and less these days and the results seem pretty strong.  As well as mixing in wood chunks and going extra strong with the coarse black pepper.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:59 AM, Johnny Sack said:

This is what I use.  I had a BGE looflighter knockoff that worked okay, but the heat gun is better.  I traded it in for a cast iron implement.  The heat gun outperforms the looflighter:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lighting+lump+charcoal+with+heat+gun&&view=detail&mid=D0392F77550F862C7B34D0392F77550F862C7B34&&FORM=VRDGAR

I have this gun!  Yes

35 minutes ago, Lurch said:

When you target 225-250 for your cook, are you using dome temp or grate temp?

I’ve got my primo xl smoking a brisket and my dome is at 240* while the probe I have attached to grate (back/middle) is at 280*

Only temp that counts is where the meat is at. You'll be fine at 280, just get done a little quicker. 

Tried smoking burgers yesterday.  Mix was 2# ground sirloin (90/10), 2# ground chuck (80/20), and ~ 1/2 chopped brisket.  Smoked at 275 until internal temp reached 150 degrees (a little under 1 hour), although some of the patties ended up a little more done.  Burgers tasted great, but next time I'll make sure they don't go over 150 and probably use less or no sirloin.      

18 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Tried smoking burgers yesterday.  Mix was 2# ground sirloin (90/10), 2# ground chuck (80/20), and ~ 1/2 chopped brisket.  Smoked at 275 until internal temp reached 150 degrees (a little under 1 hour), although some of the patties ended up a little more done.  Burgers tasted great, but next time I'll make sure they don't go over 150 and probably use less or no sirloin.      

Never smoked a burger, but if I did, I think I would shoot for 135 and then sear for a minute or so on each side.

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Never smoked a burger, but if I did, I think I would shoot for 135 and then sear for a minute or so on each side.

My research said 150, but since I like my burgers medium, I'm going with 135 next time.  I was cooking for the extended family and most like things medium well to well done.  

19 hours ago, Lurch said:

When you target 225-250 for your cook, are you using dome temp or grate temp?

I’ve got my primo xl smoking a brisket and my dome is at 240* while the probe I have attached to grate (back/middle) is at 280*

Why the dual-probe is so critical.  I ignore the dome temp these days.  Only the grill temp matters; and typically the back of the grate is hotter than the front.  

Friend cooked a hell of a good brisket this weekend.  He said he's starting using a mop.  Anyone tried this?  He is emulating what Coopers does.  I have to say, I've never done before but I'm going to give it a try.  

Coopers BBQ mop

0e79361c15a6b72c9dd404d6c6dc25ff.jpg0cf61fa61c7dc3efc318671cb1403d88.jpg

Smoked a 15 pounder choice packer from Kroger that had been frozen for several months. Not bad. Flat was dry but the point was outstanding. Sorry but no money shot. This one had a nice smoke ring which I don’t usually get with my egg. FWIW.

11 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

My research said 150, but since I like my burgers medium, I'm going with 135 next time.  I was cooking for the extended family and most like things medium well to well done.  

I feel your pain. At least I'm teaching my son and daughter that medium is the top of the doneness scale.

10 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Why the dual-probe is so critical.  I ignore the dome temp these days.  Only the grill temp matters; and typically the back of the grate is hotter than the front.  

Friend cooked a hell of a good brisket this weekend.  He said he's starting using a mop.  Anyone tried this?  He is emulating what Coopers does.  I have to say, I've never done before but I'm going to give it a try.  

Coopers BBQ mop

You can put one leg of the plate setter in the back to help offset that rear hot spot.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a large, I’ve had it for 13 years but at the old place it just lived in the Nest. We moves three months ago and the new place had the egg and grill setup already.

8d30818a79e9afda26dc2fd00223a825.jpg

I can’t recommend the L shape like I have. That back corner is wasted space. It wouldn’t have been hard to make it more usable but I doubt it’s something I’m gonna go back and fix.

Today’s menu:

da4212f43f5734e5635ebe56629d4be4.jpg

90981c4642afc587abcebb2410c52580.jpg

• Like 1