Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yeah, 90 is low.  He needs to be on supplemental oxygen ASAP

Depending on his state of COPD, he may usually live at 90%. You can't get their oxygen too high or they get a bunch of CO2 in their system and it shuts down the respiratory drive. Unfortunately the laws of low oxygen (hypoxia) still apply and if he drops below the mid 80's, he's in a ton of trouble.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Usually we'd have march madness on in all the lounges this time of the year.  Instead we have the news.  The only funny thing is all the skype reporting from inside reporters homes.  The backdrop in the home office is always so perfect.  Show us some real shots with holes in the walls etc.  The lotion right next to the laptop...with the odd one off sock.  Give us something.  You fuckers aren't perfect.  

i've been quite impressed with the audio quality.  good job apple. 

also morgan brennan has a NICE place.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And it’s really difficult for an Ebola patient to infect others, short of actually bleeding or coughing blood into them and it puts people down so quickly it doesn’t spread very rapidly, allowing for full tracking. 

Ebola comparison is just dumb.  he was brought in to comment to try to give any amount of weight to the stupid story.   SARS and H1N1 are most apt with SARS being basically a sibling to this.

1 minute ago, Newdoc said:

Depending on his state of COPD, he may usually live at 90%. You can't get their oxygen too high or they get a bunch of CO2 in their system and it shuts down the respiratory drive. Unfortunately the laws of low oxygen (hypoxia) still apply and if he drops below the mid 80's, he's in a ton of trouble.

Wow, that's a really small window then.  Had no idea.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And it’s really difficult for an Ebola patient to infect others, short of actually bleeding or coughing blood into them and it puts people down so quickly it doesn’t spread very rapidly, allowing for full tracking. 

Virus Outbreak GIF by Pierrad

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

NY at this time is probably the best sample size for US as they don't have the Washington outlier and have tested a lot more.  they are .9, having climbed a bit,  but IMO they have at least 5x-10x(and maybe many more)more cases out there that haven't been tested.

Where do people keep getting this?

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

By the fact that 80% of those infected show very little to no signs of being infected.  Is it allergies or corona?

Were did you get that? or is my sarcasm detector broken?

Edited by Loco

• immamac changed the title to DT: COVID-19 - NO POLITICS ALLOWED
1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

500k cases should correlate to like 20-50k hospitalizations, unless the math on that is off by an order of magnitude. 

14.5% positive test based on positive to negative ratio so far.  a positive test does not mean anything close to hospitalization.  Its hard to find hospitalization rates but I'd say 10% of those that have it get hospitalized

8.6M in NYC.  lets say its 10% would test positive have it now.  that's 860K

they have 30K cases so 5x is 150K and 10x is 300K.  is that not reasonable?

10%of 30K cases wold be 3K hospitalized currently(I am not talking ICU, that is lower)

• Like 1

There is a whole bunch of "this could kill everybody", and a whole bunch of "this may not be as bad as we thought" predictions out there.  It's probably somewhere in the middle, but I don't know which to believe.  I know what I want to believe.

Edited by gecko
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gecko said:

There is a whole bunch of "this could kill everybody", and a whole bunch of "this may not be as bad as we thought" predictions out there.  It's probably somewhere in the middle, but I don't know which to believe.  I know what I want to believe.

It depends on how you define outcome measures, ie deaths or crashing our health care system.  Deaths don't crash the health care system, hospitalizations do.

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

I thought that had been well established earlier in the month, but the best I could find was are studies that say 50% are asymptomatic or not ill enough to seek medical assistance. 

Iceland, which says it’s tested a higher proportion of inhabitants than any other country, found that about half those who tested positive have no symptoms of Covid-19, Thorolfur Gudnason, the nation’s chief epidemiologist, told BuzzFeed News. As many as a third of the people who test positive show delayed symptoms or none at all, the South China Morning Post reported Sunday, citing classified data from the Chinese government.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-22/one-third-of-coronavirus-cases-may-show-no-symptom-scmp-reports

that's great news if it holds up

4 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Does anyone remember seeing reports of the longest someone went from exposure to symptoms? Is it really just 2 weeks?

"The incubation period from exposure to onset of symptoms is between four and six days; and if you want to cover 95–98 percent of the cases it is between three and 10 days. It's pretty rare to have an incubation period outside of that range."

"After a person recovers from the virus, how long are they still contagious?

That's a very important question. We're not sure; one individual in China was shown to have persistent virus shedding for over a month. But typically, we're looking at a three-week period from onset of symptoms.

Renowned Virologist David Ho

• Like 1

NYC is reporting 17.856 with 3,800 hospitalized and 900 in ICU.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-update.html

With testing being so limited, you have to assume the hospitalization rate is higher now because the tested population already show symptoms or exposure to some who has it.

22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

14.5% positive test based on positive to negative ratio so far.  a positive test does not mean anything close to hospitalization.  Its hard to find hospitalization rates but I'd say 10% of those that have it get hospitalized

8.6M in NYC.  lets say its 10% would test positive have it now.  that's 860K

they have 30K cases so 5x is 150K and 10x is 300K.  is that not reasonable?

10%of 30K cases wold be 3K hospitalized currently(I am not talking ICU, that is lower)

If your actual infected is 150k to 300k (your multipliers of confirmed cases) then you need to take 10% of those numbers to get expected hospitalizations. 15-30k. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

By the fact that 80% of those infected show very little to no signs of being infected.  Is it allergies or corona?

We need the antibody testing to open the economy back up.  I don’t care if I need a stamp on my forehead.  Let us get out if we are safe.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We need the antibody testing to open the economy back up.  I don’t care if I need a stamp on my forehead.  Let us get out if we are safe.  

No shit my man. Preaching to the choir here, but at the same time, you haven't heard a whisper of it mentioned. I have to assume it's a complete afterthought and we won't hear anything about it for weeks or months from now. I'm hoping you'll tell me I'm completely wrong and you've heard of at least private companies working on it, and that it hasn't been forgotten in the medical and immunological communities. 

Additionally, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if people showed immunity it would also mean doctors and nurses could potentially be treating patients without PPE and without fear and concern for their lives. That alone would remove HUGE levels of stress from our care workers who qualify. But god forbid we make their lives any easier right now...

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Because Germans are smart as fuck and adhere to governmental authorities. The problem is they’re so warlike they’re born and raised running tank exercises in their backyards, and they’re susceptible to charismatic nationalist leaders. 

This post is even better if you imagine Basil Fawlty saying it.

picture-fawltybasil-goosestep.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No shit my man. Preaching to the choir here, but at the same time, you haven't heard a whisper of it mentioned. I have to assume it's a complete afterthought and we won't hear anything about it for weeks or months from now. I'm hoping you'll tell me I'm completely wrong and you've heard of at least private companies working on it, and that it hasn't been forgotten in the medical and immunological communities. 

The Governor of NY specifically called for antibody tests two days ago in a presser in order to start to get people out and about.  The Surgeon General may have also mentioned it.  Just can't happen fast enough.  

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Dallas (DPD release):

There has been some misinformation about the Dallas Police Department’s approach to the shelter-in-place ordinance. Please see the statement below for clarity.

Dallas Police officers were previously provided a summary of the shelter in place order for Dallas County. The City has now adopted similar regulations. Essentially, the regulations require all individuals anywhere in the City of Dallas to shelter in place – that is, stay at home – except for certain essential activities.

DPD’s first line of defense is an educational approach. Officers will inform residents of the shelter in place regulations and the reasons for their implementation. Next, officers will ask them to disperse as a means of voluntary compliance. Given the seriousness of this COVID-19 pandemic, violators are expected to leave the area peacefully.

Officers will not stop residents, asking for ID or documentation supporting their need to be out of their residence, without other legitimate reasons for the stop. At this time, DPD will focus on educating the public.

Also if we come across a bar/restaurant that is operating in defiance of the order, we are to notify code enforcement. Essentially this order has little to do with the police department and that is what I was hoping for. I want to contact fewer people, not more. 

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Agree x1000. This is a great idea.  I think a shocking number would already be positive. 

2 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Good lord, what the hell is going to happen to the electric grid this summer if people are still working from home and all running the AC? Can we fire up that bio fuel plant we just bought? 

Wouldn't that be offset by large corporate buildings and offices not running their AC all day long?

• Like 7

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away