Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

LOL, @stork642 negged me. Why man? Why not comment? This is not the CR for Negging on opinion. Want to go there and fucking go into it? This is not the first time you have done this.  

Negging on this thread. Damn man. Go open up your business.

I guess you can’t grasp or read the title of the thread “you started”   No Politics.  Such a hard thing I know.   

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

It is absolutely driving me crazy how many businesses are telling me no cash & credit/debit card only. What in the fuck is going on?! This is almost as bad as the reports I hear from CVS that corporate district managers are telling their pharmacists to remove their face masks.

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

So let the Doctors figure it out. We can take the Econ hit. Fuck, we are the United States of America. It takes time for industry to realign, but they are.  We might hate the SEC, but what happens there impacts us all. So Cuomo over asked. Good. That means we can see what is going on. It means Doctors are learning. 

Go open up man, put your team at risk. Deal with telling little Jenny dad or mom is gone cuz you needed your business to be open. I won't.

We can blame the WH/Congress all we want, but this shit goes down to the county level in Texas. And we have a lot of socially elected judges. And really, what matters to our Econ that has been closed? Construction continues, Oil and Gas kept working. So Karen's cupcakes needs to be closed for a few more weeks. I can get margaritas to go and I live in a small town. My farmers market is following the CDC/FDA rules and I made a great veggie stew tonight. Had a few glasses of wine and some drambouie. 

Dear America. You are not Ethiopian or Afghani. You will be OK. Suck it the fuck up. 

Not going to try to CR it up, but Texas wouldn't be the only place in the more developed part of the world that is looking to reopen things incrementally over the next few weeks. Spain,  Norway, Austria, Denmark, and the Czech Republic have all announced some changes or loosening of restrictions for the upcoming weeks. While I agree that this week is more than likely early,  it all depends on what restrictions are being lifted and what is the response to if/when another outbreak occurs which that article doesn't really touch on sans the testing at Walgreens. 

Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

Not going to try to CR it up, but Texas wouldn't be the only place in the more developed part of the world that is looking to reopen things incrementally over the next few weeks. Spain,  Norway, Austria, Denmark, and the Czech Republic have all announced some changes or loosening of restrictions for the upcoming weeks. While I agree that this week is more than likely early,  it all depends on what restrictions are being lifted and what is the response to if/when another outbreak occurs which that article doesn't really touch on sans the testing at Walgreens. 

Well we have one of the lowest per capita test rates in the nation, and relative to the countries you mentioned. That's definitely not going to bite us in the ass when businesses reopen their doors without a vaccine

15 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Happy Easter Surlites

Mrs Fairway insists on having the Easter service webcast on. So here I sit going to church and surfing surly at the same time.

Best church ever!

Thanks coronavirus

I've done that the past 2 wekks.  Told the Mrs, it doesn't make a difference if I'm looking at your computer screen or mine...  God is everywhere.

(mumble...mumble)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

It is absolutely driving me crazy how many businesses are telling me no cash & credit/debit card only. What in the fuck is going on?! This is almost as bad as the reports I hear from CVS that corporate district managers are telling their pharmacists to remove their face masks.

This may be an artifact of those businesses not wanting to have to the bank.  No lobby puts everybody in the drive through 

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well we have one of the lowest per capita test rates in the nation, and relative to the countries you mentioned. That's definitely not going to bite us in the ass when businesses reopen their doors without a vaccine

I'm not discounting how much testing has or hasn't been done, just pointing out that other countries in more developed parts of the world are beginning to loosen restrictions. It's not just "Ethiopia and Afghanistan" that are making these changes. 

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I'm not discounting how much testing has or hasn't been done, just pointing out that other countries in more developed parts of the world are beginning to loosen restrictions. It's not just "Ethiopia and Afghanistan" that are making these changes. 

And comparing our response to theirs, we haven't done near the level of testing to justify reopening. Nevermind that we aren't even doing contact tracing and actual epidemiological work to track and slow the spread through targeted isolation that would actually allow the county to reopen. 

Just because we're a rich nation doing mean things just happen for us, we still actually have to do the work otherwise we're just flying blind

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

And comparing our response to theirs, we haven't done near the level of testing to justify reopening. Nevermind that we aren't even doing contact tracing and actual epidemiological work to track and slow the spread through targeted isolation that would actually allow the county to reopen. 

Just because we're a rich nation doing mean things just happen for us, we still actually have to do the work otherwise we're just flying blind

Can you point in my original post where I said that Texas should just open everything back up and that's fine? No? It's because my entire point is that it's not just the third world that is trying to figure out the balance between what and when should restrictions be lifted. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

And if there is a second wave - people will be less inclined to restrict movement, reimplement social distancing and support stay at home, proclaiming it didn't work the first time.

Just now, Wally Fairway said:

And if there is a second wave - people will be less inclined to restrict movement, reimplement social distancing and support stay at home, proclaiming it didn't work the first time.

Many business owners and employees would rather go back to work and risk their lives and the lives of others rather than lose everything they have ever worked for and be forced onto the streets. There has to be a balance or there will be rioting and social unrest.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The view from your ideal world must always be terrible.

Please tell me what contract tracing looks like, and how we accomplish it, for a virus that’s likely been here since December and good percentage of people were asymptotic. In my opinion, all focus needs to be in the antibody test at this point, when it comes to opening things back up. Why spin our wheels trying to track only those who currently have it? We don’t have the personnel resources to accomplish this. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Please tell me what contract tracing looks like, and how we accomplish it, for a virus that’s likely been here since December and good percentage of people were asymptotic. In my opinion, all focus needs to be in the antibody test at this point, when it comes to opening things back up. Why spin our wheels trying to track only those who currently have it? We don’t have the personnel resources to accomplish this. 

I hear we'll have 4 million tests three weeks ago, I'm sure the antibody testing will ramp up just as quickly. 

• Like 5

It’s a combo of the two. They can get random samples of antibodies by geography, but they need real-time data on who has it. And people who suspect they have it or been exposed need easy access to testing and a quick turn around on results. I dont think we’re close to a public health solution to mitigating risk.

37 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Many business owners and employees would rather go back to work and risk their lives and the lives of others rather than lose everything they have ever worked for and be forced onto the streets. There has to be a balance or there will be rioting and social unrest.

Yep. When all of these politicians (who haven’t missed a paycheck) start declaring that we are extending to June 1,  the shit will start hitting the fan. I think we’ll start seeing some uprisings this next week. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

It’s a combo of the two. They can get random samples of antibodies by geography, but they need real-time data on who has it. And people who suspect they have it or been exposed need easy access to testing and a quick turn around on results. I dont think we’re close to a public health solution to mitigating risk.

Those 15 minute tests from Abbott will really be key. It sounds promising, but they really need to scale up how many tests are being provided. 

7 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Yep. When all of these politicians (who haven’t missed a paycheck) start declaring that we are extending to June 1,  the shit will start hitting the fan. I think we’ll start seeing some uprisings this next week. 

So the first real signs of panic?  More likely the Neo Nazis trying to get their bugaloo (sp?) off the ground.

I'll take the under on a popular Corona virus  response uprising. 

Edited by Loco

13 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Who are they going to beat up, each other?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I hear we'll have 4 million tests three weeks ago, I'm sure the antibody testing will ramp up just as quickly. 

I understand the faith in an antibody test, but it is misguided. The positive predictive value of tests in other parts of the world has been poor. Testing negative may not mean that you are negative and testing positive does not mean that you positive. This means that it can give people a false sense of security. This would lead to a rapid spread of disease as people move away from social distancing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

@Iceman

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Ah, civil (or uncivil) disobedience. A longstanding American tradition.

In this case, it's not quite so apt a comparison. By exposing yourself to more risk, you increase the risk of everyone else around you. Not quite the same as a sit-in

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

By uprising, I mean people are going to open their businesses back up. 

It seem unlikely we can soon eliminate covid 19 entirely so the the flattening the curve is meant to spread out the illnesses and unfortunately deaths.  Therefore we need a way to slowly open up businesses and still practice social distances as much as possible. This will keep covid 19 around and be very bad for some but I don’t see another path forward.

23 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Can confirm.

Source: am watching church right now

Since church going is 50% paying attention to who else did and didn’t show up, how much internet church viewing is scanning the participants names? And if the church isn’t showing the names, they’re missing out.

edit: not to mention that I would think the collection plate is much emptier online when no one can see you not contribute. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 1

Since church going is 50% paying attention to who else did and didn’t show up, how much internet church viewing is scanning the participants names? And if the church isn’t showing the names, they’re missing out.

Mine has a chat, which appears to be some kind of competition.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Mine has a chat, which seems to be some kind of competition.

This is unbelievable and funny as crap to imagine a chat during service.  Bravo...

"did you see what that bitch...um... Hannah is wearing?"

Edited by Iceman

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It seem unlikely we can soon eliminate covid 19 entirely so the the flattening the curve is meant to spread out the illnesses and unfortunately deaths.  Therefore we need a way to slowly open up businesses and still practice social distances as much as possible. This will keep covid 19 around and be very bad for some but I don’t see another path forward.

This is how I see it playing out. But, when we start seeing a bunch of deaths in 3 weeks here in Texas will we keep the slow reopening of businesses or will we pucker and shut everything down again?

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

In this case, it's not quite so apt a comparison. By exposing yourself to more risk, you increase the risk of everyone else around you. Not quite the same as a sit-in

Don’t trust anyone under 50!

16 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

13 minutes ago, Iceman said:

LOlz.  Just wondering what a math term had to do with carriers of CV-19...

Asymptotic, right?

ahhh.  I see said the blind man( me.)  Funny.

12 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yeah, it’s one of this little things that really irks the shit out of me.  

I apologize for not proofreading and I’ll reiterate that I hate typing on a phone, it loves to publicly humiliate me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is my understanding of the current challenge of governments everywhere. Not an easy problem to solve, but governments almost everywhere, and especially in the US, are struggling. I don’t see a very good path to success right now.

1. Sheltering limits spread of this highly contagious and dangerous virus.

2. Extended sheltering will place the world into a depression deeper than the Great Depression. (Not hyperbole - fact)

3. A deep Great Depression will cause as much or more human suffering and possibly deaths as the virus. So they must open up the economy somehow, and pretty soon (1-3 months)

4. With no restrictions other than general social distancing guidelines, the virus will almost assuredly take off again until a treatment or vaccine is confirmed.

5. A treatment or vaccine seems to be at least 8-12 months away or more, notwithstanding Britain’s claim this week.

6. Testing for the virus and antibodies is way too low, has accuracy questions, and even with much more testing the virus is so contagious, and contagious during asymptomatic times, that testing may help some but not enough.

So they are currently weighing the risk of remaining closed down vs the risk of seeing re-ignited contagion. The risk of remaining closed down is pretty well certain and known - Depression. As a result, they are going to just roll the dice and pray that contagion is slower and testing continues to increase for the next 8-12 months until the treatment or vaccine is ready.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I apologize for not proofreading and I’ll reiterate that I hate typing on a phone, it loves to publicly humiliate me.

That’s why I did the casual drive by earlier.  Then had to defend my own honor, thereby necessitating my throwing you under the bus.   Sorry bout ya.  

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away