Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m pretty much here.
There’s no way out of this. All of our paths lead to “we’re fucked.”
Full protective measures? Brutal economic depression.
Open everything back up? Raging pandemic again.
Something in between? There is no sweet spot. We’ll have at the very least a brutal recession AND lots of sick and dying people.
Vaccine is going to take too long to help.
No way out.
Happy Easter!

There’s several ways out. All of them involve casualties. The powers that be are still choosing a path, but when they do we all need to pick up a shovel and start digging. Because bitching about the path won’t change the path but it will slow our progress along it. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

44 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

On #6, I think SK has shown that ANY widespread testing works if you can get quick results.  At a 20% failure rate on the test, you are effectively getting the magic 80% isolation if you can isolate everyone who is positive with your faulty test.

That's really the only way, non-vaccine, that this can work other than to go back to the UK's original "let it burn through" strategy.  Everyone gets tested repeatedly, isolate the positives for 2 weeks, test the negatives again in X days (don't know on X - is it 5?  7? 10?).  Rinse and repeat.

I don't like this "wait until we get the vaccine" idea as viable.  Even if it's 3 months instead of 12, there's no kind of guarantee it works, there's no guarantee it won't have side effects, there's no guarantee the virus doesn't mutate to the point it is not longer effective, etc. I mean, I know it's a whole different thing with a whole different process (that's supposed to be easier per the immunologists), but we're still waiting on an HIV vaccine going on 3 decades later.  You can't hang the future of civilization on the idea that "this is going to work because it just has to work and we don't have another plan."  This isn't a Marvel movie.

I think the "let it happen, it's God's will" strategy is monstrous and cruel.  This is 2020, not 1348.  But I think that's where we're heading- a controlled slow burn until everyone who was going to get it gets it and either dies or doesn't, trying to do it slow enough that the hospitals don't have to make hard choices.  Then just hope for the best on the vaccine/treatment front next year.

south Korea has tested 1% of their pop.  US has tested about .875%.  yes we were slower(thanks CDC).  

their contact tracing was certainly better and their society as a whole probably was more used to this due to SARS.

I really want to know what happened in NY/NJ because they are a big outlier in all this as it relates to confirmed cases vs. population.

we aren't waiting until vaccine and we aren't letting Gods will.  we are going to have hotspots, more people will die, but a couple of hotspots is easier to manage than every major metro area.  people will social distance, there will be rules, but IMO I don't think this lasts more than one more week if you aren't in a hotspot state.

56 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So equate parts of the US to those countries. I am currently working with a Doc in the Czech Republic. He is scared of them opening up. There is little testing and what they do have has come out as junk. Norway went into a hard lock down early. Like good vikings they had their shit together. 

Again, my point wasn’t that Texas or other parts of the world are ready to loosen restrictions based on the measures and testing they’ve implemented, but moreso that decisions to loosen restrictions aren’t just a third world decision. There are going to be some very difficult decisions ahead for all of the world until we can get a vaccine. 

Please get back out on your ledge, and leave all social media devices inside....  pretty please with sugar on top.

Tell us how what Pato says below isn’t spot-on.
There’s several ways out. All of them involve casualties. The powers that be are still choosing a path, but when they do we all need to pick up a shovel and start digging. Because bitching about the path won’t change the path but it will slow our progress along it. 

The planet is going to take a beating: either in terms of death, or crushing economic depression, or - most likely - a tasty stew of both (mitigate one at the expense of the other).
We have choices. All of them are bad. Just noting the reality we’re in.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Tell us how what Pato says below isn’t spot-on.

The planet is going to take a beating: either in terms of death, or crushing economic depression, or - most likely - a tasty stew of both (mitigate one at the expense of the other).
We have choices. All of them are bad. Just noting the reality we’re in.

Ohhhh ..... well if Pato says it, it must be so.... my bad......

1 minute ago, Newdoc said:

Some of y'all need to take a break from this thread. Go for a run, grab a beer, it's nice outside so go out until the front comes through.

Yes, this all sucks but there's a great chance you're not dying, there's a great chance if your ill relatives stay the course for a while they won't die either. There's a great chance, albeit painful, the economy makes it out of this.

We've always had stupid people occupying this country and running it but y'all myopic view of Covid, our government and humanity is going to break you down mentally. I ain't Charlie Strong is going to pull us through sunshine pumping but y'all's generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks are infecting this thread.

If we take the attitude of ohhh wo-es me we're definitely gonna be fucked. Things could get dicey, the economy could take a ding for a while, but in the end our death toll isn't going to overwhelm us, and life will go on.

I choose to be optimistic about our future.  There'll be plenty of time to cry if it turns out worse than I hope.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Norway and Denmark both have to be pretty pissed at Sweden for not implementing the quarantine / shelter in places measures on the same timeline as them. 

Are you sure that is what is going on? Sweden's always been the big brother to those countries and takes a superior attitude towards the smaller Nordic countries. Plus, there was a very long war between Sweden and Denmark, during which Denmark lost a lot of territory.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Agree that people will go back to bars and restaurants but these businesses frequently run with low margins any way. A 10-20% drop in business may destroy their ability to cover overhead. Bars and restaurants fail at a high percent normally, so a return to “normal” will  increase that percent.  Which we need.  If bar demand drops by 10%, we need 10% more bars to fail so the remaining 90 can survive.

You’d need a multiple of that for the numbers to work 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Again, my point wasn’t that Texas or other parts of the world are ready to loosen restrictions based on the measures and testing they’ve implemented, but moreso that decisions to loosen restrictions aren’t just a third world decision. There are going to be some very difficult decisions ahead for all of the world until we can get a vaccine. 

The third world is locking down. It is countries with infrastructure that think they have it covered. Check out how El Salvador is dealing with this. Kenya is having food riots. We just don't hear about it. 

I believe restaurants and real estate will adjust, possibly with the backdrop of a government stimulus. Landlords for commercial space will have to lower their rents to adjust to the margins of restaurants on their space. Otherwise they’ll be empty. Residential landlords of homes will have to adjust their rents to meet the market. Banks will have to be encouraged to refinance some of these notes to accommodate. Folks will be taking haircuts, but it’s better than having everyone get their heads shaved. The sooner we figure out and accept this the sooner the economy moves forward. I have to think this is going to be realized sooner than later. 

I believe restaurants and real estate will adjust, possibly with the backdrop of a government stimulus. Landlords for commercial space will have to lower their rents to adjust to the margins of restaurants on their space. Otherwise they’ll be empty. Residential landlords of homes will have to adjust their rents to meet the market. Banks will have to be encouraged to refinance some of these notes to accommodate. Folks will be taking haircuts, but it’s better than having everyone get their heads shaved. The sooner we figure out and accept this the sooner the economy moves forward. I have to think this is going to be realized sooner than later. 

Your faith in rational behavior is at odds with an entire human history full of evidence.
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

1) I noted in my original post which both you and utee94 neglected to read that the US doesn't own the patent on stupid. Not sure if you and he can't comprehend what I meant by patent. Do you both need me to define it?

2) Do you really want to debate the "Hold my Beer" aspect of US culture? Nevermind because:

3) All you have done throughout this entire thread is troll your jibberish basically coming out anti what the fuck ever post happens to come up when you log in the thread

In conclusion, you and your posts in this very fucking thread, including this one actually drive home my point number 2 of the US being King of Hold my beer when it comes to stupid shit people do. So, congratulations.

Ah yes, the “closetojumping, you’re so stupid” maneuver. 

I’m sure it irritates you to have your streak of making every other post on this thread a repeated rant about the abject idiocy of the entirety of our country and what you saw yesterday at Walmart, but it felt merited. If you can’t control yourself, you can at least control who you interact with on the site and you can always put me on ignore.

• Like 1

Ah yes, the “closetojumping, you’re so stupid” maneuver. 
I’m sure it irritates you to have your streak of making every other post on this thread a repeated rant about the abject idiocy of the entirety of our country and what you saw yesterday at Walmart, but it felt merited. If you can’t control yourself, you can at least control who you interact with on the site and you can always put me on ignore.

Yes. Clearly, we are a country made up of geniuses and great decision-makers.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

One downside to the controlled burn approach is it will disproportionately hit the working class.  People who can work remotely will continue to do so, while retail and customer facing  service will be more exposed.  No CR but I see a lot of social tensions coming from this.

It’s happened before. Look, we’re already in the controlled burn phase, we’ve just started with healthcare workers and essential employees of essential businesses. And when that happens, an economic value accrues to immune survivors. The concept is called “immunocapital” and at various times and places in history it has even been considered a requirement for the extension of credit.

For example, in the Gulf Region of the South, with yellow fever.

For whites, immunity translated into economic capital, with all jobs going to those who claimed to be acclimated. Merchants would not enter into a partnership with someone who could not produce an acclimation certificate and banks would not give credit to a man unable to verify which year he had survived he disease.”

• Like 1

Gordie Howe? I think he died in some god-forsaken place about 4 years ago. Could be the Zombie Apocalypse we have been waiting for.
I saw Gordie Howe play hockey at 50 years old for the Aeros. They wheeled a cake onto the ice at the Summit.

4 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
1 hour ago, Bevo said:
Gordie Howe? I think he died in some god-forsaken place about 4 years ago. Could be the Zombie Apocalypse we have been waiting for.

I saw Gordie Howe play hockey at 50 years old for the Aeros. They wheeled a cake onto the ice at the Summit.

Yeah, I use to love going to the Aeros games and watching Gordie play hockey with his sons Mark and Marty. And I knew jack shit about the sport, but the fights were pretty cool.

Edited by Bevo

Of course it will take some attorneys to come to these rational decisions.

Naaah. Just good leaders, guided by science and willing to impose sound rules.

So, might as well count on lawyers, or carnies, or housepainters. I suspect any of those groups could do better than we’re likely to get.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Some of you people are sucking at Easter. 

There’s a lot to be depressed about, worried about, and scared of right now. But as of today most of us posting here are healthy and have full bellies, families intact, and as of today a lot to be thankful for, if were being honest. Maybe this is a horrible event that fundamentally brings positive change to US. Maybe the world. We don’t know, other than there’s going to be some hard times ahead. 

happy easter you cunts. 

I couldn’t have said it better.

Actually, as an English major, I probably could have. But nice post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where does this thread rank for overall cuntiness All-time surly?  Top 5 easy? 

It depends on how many stupid and pointless posts about our leadership we get. Those cunts need to head over to the cloakroom where they care circle jerk each other to their hearts delight.
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Hate said:

It depends on how many stupid and pointless posts about our leadership we get. Those cunts need to head over to the cloakroom where they care circle jerk each other to their hearts delight.

I apologize for CR'ing this thread last night. 

Hong Kong (CNN)China has imposed restrictions on the publication of academic research on the origins of the novel coronavirus, according to a central government directive and online notices published by two Chinese universities, that have since been removed from the web.

Under the new policy, all academic papers on Covid-19 will be subject to extra vetting before being submitted for publication. Studies on the origin of the virus will receive extra scrutiny and must be approved by central government officials, according to the now-deleted posts.
  • Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away