College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Where are my prayer warriors? Prayer > Covid. Jesus > Kung-flu. We wouldn't have any postponements if you heathens were praying in church instead of sexing each other and shooting heroin into your eyeballs. Now I can't watch KU play a Middle School team? So much free time. Should I watch 90 day Fiancee or listen to a true crime podcast about a slut-murder?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Texas Football All-Access that aired tonight was pretty great and would probably make most of y'all feel better about proceeding. 

If students are gonna be on campus, the players are undeniably better off being involved in the football program that has so much intere$t in keeping them healthy. 

Delusion is a helluva drug.

Every single campus that has tried to deny reality is spiking in confirmed cases. 

We are no longer in the comfort zones we have all worked our lives to create.

It is over.

Edited by MissingInAction

14 hours ago, Bartles said:

Plains states have been the hotspot for a few weeks now. Not sure if it got posted, but even Bill Hancock of CFP and his wife had COVID in late August, mild symptoms, both fully recovered now. They live in Overland Park.

Yeah, Ames was the worst city in the country for COVID last week.  We have no current infections on our football team, and there haven't been any ISU students hospitalized (yet), but it's been raging there.

Campbell's make shift bubble is impressive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Delusion is a helluva drug.

Every single campus that has tried to deny reality is spiking in confirmed cases. 

We are no longer in the comfort zones we have all worked our lives to create.

It is over.

9 hours ago, Monster said:

Or they could have started earlier, with more bye weeks for rescheduled games.  The 'positive casedemic' is going to be an  issue all year.  And, there are very powerful people out there who are massively invested in keeping the US locked down...until they present the solution.  

College football in September is a return to the 'Old Normal' and that threatens the 'New Normal'. They're going to do everything they can to stop it.  This football season has become an important political and economic battleground.   

Expect delays.  Expect fearmongering.  Expect negative propaganda.  Keep playing football games.

8 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Where are my prayer warriors? Prayer > Covid. Jesus > Kung-flu. We wouldn't have any postponements if you heathens were praying in church instead of sexing each other and shooting heroin into your eyeballs. Now I can't watch KU play a Middle School team? So much free time. Should I watch 90 day Fiancee or listen to a true crime podcast about a slut-murder?

The stupid is getting thick on this thread now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

the goalposts are over here now, we're not talking about hospitalization or mortality rate anymore. now we're focusing on new positive tests and the cumulative death toll (anecdotes still welcome of course)

Goalposts for what exacty? And who is we?

Fuck this thread man.

• Haha 1

Yeah.  Don’t let anyone out and do anything is as dumb as let’s pretend there’s no virus at all.  My hesitation is these are amateur athletes that people are making a lot of money on.  

But here at the home of B1G headquarters every single hospital in the city has had its C19 unit closed for months now and patios are jam packed with people boozing.  I guessed the virus is weaker in summer, as in it still spreads but hospitalizations would be way down.  That educated guess seems to be correct but you don’t hear much about that on any news channel, left or right.  

Texas, Florida, and Arizona in July disagree. People outside spread the virus less than people inside.

Texas will have 90% of its deaths and hospitalizations in the summer so far. It got so bad the Kung Flu statistics guy stopped daily updates.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Texas, Florida, and Arizona in July disagree. People outside spread the virus less than people inside.

Texas will have 90% of its deaths and hospitalizations in the summer so far. It got so bad the Kung Flu statistics guy stopped daily updates.

Yes, but if you look at how deadly the virus was in NYC etc vs Texas/FL/CA - it spread just as fast and killed less.  Science dictates a virus will get weaker over time as well - if you kill your host you spread less.  So it would only go to show less deadly strains spread more.  Also I won't post the million articles on why coronaviruses don't do as well in summer.  Google is your friend. 

But yes, the virus spreads much easier inside, I do agree there and that's certainly a major factor as well.  One factor is not dictating all of this, let's just say...the situation is fluid.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
*inside
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, but if you look at how deadly the virus was in NYC etc vs Texas/FL/CA - it spread just as fast and killed less.  Science dictates a virus will get weaker over time as well - if you kill your host you spread less.  So it would only go to show less deadly strains spread more.  Also I won't post the million articles on why coronaviruses don't do as well in summer.  Google is your friend. 

But yes, the virus spreads much easier outside, I do agree there and that's certainly a major factor as well.  One factor is not dictating all of this, let's just say...the situation is fluid.  

Hoping you meant inside?

On 9/8/2020 at 11:11 PM, Trey3216 said:

Can you say he was a current Cal-U PA player when they were not playing football this year and their school is currently all virtual?   Just a question 

No we can't, which was the tie back point you captured.   Like the PSU kid, Jamain's family countered the media reports by stating cause of death/circumstances aren't clear yet if not entirely inaccurate.  It's all relative to making the right decisions on a grand sum total, we aren't in a position of thinking only in terms of "lock it all down so we dont all die" or "fuggit open everything up risk be damned".   We know who and what is at risk at this point in the game and can make best result decisions that balance mitigating direct fatalities & collateral damages.   The absence of thought that there isn't a middle ground is frustrating, but thankfully the key board warriors don't have the controls... only opinions.

But yes, the virus spreads much easier inside, I do agree there and that's certainly a major factor as well.  One factor is not dictating all of this, let's just say...the situation is fluid.  

Perhaps your hypothesis is right. Hard to compare the populations, but my guess is that Texas severe cases were younger overall than the Northeast’s early wave.

In June, Texas had a lot of cases, but the severity was less. Its because it was being spread by 20-somethings. People were making claims that it was a less severe strain. Like clockwork, it spread to more vulnerable populations. Still, there was a lag in deaths. Then deaths went from 2000 to overall 10,000 pretty quickly.

I dont think Texas very elderly were ravaged thankfully (my mom is in assisted living). Nevertheless, my guess is that this virus is just as dangerous and that an analysis of like populations would yield few changes in virus impact. But our knowledge, behavior, and advancements have made it seem less severe.

Im no doctor, but I’ve played Plague
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Perhaps your hypothesis is right. Hard to compare the populations, but my guess is that Texas severe cases were younger overall than the Northeast’s early wave.

In June, Texas had a lot of cases, but the severity was less. Its because it was being spread by 20-somethings. People were making claims that it was a less severe strain. Like clockwork, it spread to more vulnerable populations. Still, there was a lag in deaths. Then deaths went from 2000 to overall 10,000 pretty quickly.

I dont think Texas very elderly were ravaged thankfully (my mom is in assisted living). Nevertheless, my guess is that this virus is just as dangerous and that an analysis of like populations would yield few changes in virus impact. But our knowledge, behavior, and advancements have made it seem less severe.

Im no doctor, but I’ve played Plague

All good points.  We have a dozen doctors and cover 30+ long term facilities in Texas alone so it’s anecdotal but we saw less carnage. 

In IL we saw several facilities with dozens of cases in the summer and less than 5-6 deaths overall.  In the Spring we had many places with 15+ deaths in each facility.  The patients were getting the same conservative treatment.  No fancy expensive treatments for long term care residents, sadly   

I agree none of this is an actual study but having over 150 docs / 100+ APP’s in hundreds of long term care facilities and hospitals gives us a pretty good/unique view from 30000 feet up, via weekly reports on positives etc and a much closer view with actual boots on the ground.  And most of these facilities have been testing weekly for a long time so the data is pretty good. 

But there’s still a metric shit ton we just don’t know.  There’s many that agree with you that it’s just as deadly.  My guess is it’s not, but it’s just an educated guess.  

• Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's not "proof" of anything. Football tends to be more important/popular in red-leaning states. California is the only exception on that map but it's had the most liberal response to the pandemic of any state.

Don't kid yourself, align that map data up with closed/open state protocol map.  Regardless of the topic, what drives the decision is the same as it relates to the leaderships stance.

43 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I agree none of this is an actual study but having over 150 docs / 100+ APP’s in hundreds of long term care facilities and hospitals gives us a pretty good/unique view from 30000 feet up

This medical business sounds like the perfect cover for a large pharmaceutical-grade meth manufacturing and distribution network.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

This seems like as good a time as any: I'm new here so what's CR?

The Cloak Room board (which I believe is some political reference but I forgot what it was). It is where we attempted to keep all political fights nice and segregated from the football talk. We have a very mixed fanbase politically so it could get really ugly if we allowed that kind of thing to infect our common interest.

This thread is showing our quarantine efforts are failing.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

The Cloak Room board (which I believe is some political reference but I forgot what it was). It is where we attempted to keep all political fights nice and segregated from the football talk. We have a very mixed fanbase politically so it could get really ugly if we allowed that kind of thing to infect our common interest.

This thread is showing our quarantine efforts are failing.

Cloak Room is a bar down by the state Capitol building where the politicos hang out.  Or, at least they used to.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1