Jump to content
Michael Knight

Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck

Neck and neck with Fincher for best director alive right now. So in

Christopher Nolan is holding on line 2.
Edited by Parliament

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Christopher Nolan is holding on line 2.

it’s just greenspoint saying greenspoint things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. Zendaya is miscast
  2. Making Liet-Kynes a black chick is stupid pandering
  3. Should have kept the stillsuits from Lynch's versions. These look like light plastic motorcross armor.

Still holding out for "another awesome Villeneuve movie despite some stupid decisions"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Making Liet-Kynes a black chick is stupid pandering

sit down, let me tell you about hollywood...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrival, Sicario, Blade Runner 2049. I have total faith. Arrival was one of the best movies of like the past 20 years for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In.

Josh Brolin as Gurney and Javier Bardem as Stilgard .., alright. Stellarn Skarsgard is one of my favorites but having trouble seeing him as Baron Harkonen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This book is too vast and complex to translate into 4-6 hours of film.  I want to believe it will do the story justice, but my mind says it's not really possible.

I will say that casting Dave Bautista as Beast Rabban is inspired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Parliament said:

pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck

Neck and neck with Fincher for best director alive right now. So in

Christopher Nolan is holding on line 2.

Except that DV has never made a bad movie, and Fincher is on one of the greatest rolls in cinema history. But ill give u nolan, thats it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grew up watching the original movie over and over, as it weirded and freaked me the hell out.  But I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

I held back from even touching the books because shit, 8 books, a billion pages apiece. 

But if this movie is as good as Blade Runner 2049, then I'll start on em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Grew up watching the original movie over and over, as it weirded and freaked me the hell out.  But I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

I held back from even touching the books because shit, 8 books, a billion pages apiece. 

But if this movie is as good as Blade Runner 2049, then I'll start on em.

8. Shit. Try 17. 
 

The cash must flow

- Brian Herbert

 

Btw, if you never picked up the books, do it. Except for God Emperor, they all read quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Grew up watching the original movie over and over, as it weirded and freaked me the hell out.  But I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

Same. I like to think when I’m flipping channels I only watch very good/great movies. This one is neither but I’ll watch the motherfucker to the end. Weird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

house harkonnen represent

 

all you gay atreides and ordos can suck our balls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lynch flick is so fucking weird/awesome/fucked up.  Never had a desire to read the books.

But those giant slugs with vagina mouths who travel in those vats of water are awesome.

Four stars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, im totally fucked up right now. i've watched the og dune movie maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany time and tonight, i just found out Toto composed the sound track

 

wtf

 

how did i miss this since 1984 ?????????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

ok, im totally fucked up right now. i've watched the og dune movie maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany time and tonight, i just found out Toto composed the sound track

 

wtf

 

how did i miss this since 1984 ?????????????

What, seriously? How did you miss this since 1984?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This guy is a nice guy and does a lot of amazing deep dives on Dune (and other sci-fi and fantasy), but he's always been a Dune fanatic as long as I've watched his channel.  He's one of the few that I'm consistently subscribed to when it comes to sci-fi.

https://www.youtube.com/c/QuinnsIdeas/videos

Oddly enough, Warner Brothers went after he and some of the others pretty hard on the leaked trailer, to the point of them going after him with a take-down notice just because he was talking about what's in the trailer (not showing images or playing audio).  That's not a good look to go after people who have been carrying your water for years.  It also doesn't inspire confidence in the trailer.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This guy is a nice guy and does a lot of amazing deep dives on Dune (and other sci-fi and fantasy), but he's always been a Dune fanatic as long as I've watched his channel.  He's one of the few that I'm consistently subscribed to when it comes to sci-fi.

https://www.youtube.com/c/QuinnsIdeas/videos

Oddly enough, Warner Brothers went after he and some of the others pretty hard on the leaked trailer, to the point of them going after him with a take-down notice just because he was talking about what's in the trailer (not showing images or playing audio).  That's not a good look to go after people who have been carrying your water for years.  It also doesn't inspire confidence in the trailer.

has a trailer been released?  if it’s leaked is it available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, futureman said:

has a trailer been released?  if it’s leaked is it available?

September 9 online, but it's supposedly in limited release in the theaters right now.  I don't know what movies it would be attached to other than Tenet.

Warner Brothers had actual humans scouring YouTube and removing all mentions/discussions of the trailer.  Not sure how they were able to get videos of people just talking about it taken down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Somehow this link has remained up - maybe too blurry/fuzzy to escape the automated bot removing stuff, and a WB employee hasn't seen it.

Spoiler

 

 

This is how I expected the ornithopters to look.  I'm pleased.

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

Edited by atomheartbevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2020 at 7:07 PM, freyguy said:

Grew up watching the original movie over and over, as it weirded and freaked me the hell out.  But I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

I held back from even touching the books because shit, 8 books, a billion pages apiece. 

But if this movie is as good as Blade Runner 2049, then I'll start on em.

I haven't read nearly all of the books, as I quit when I started to get tired of it. I enjoyed the first few immensely, but at some point I just didn't care about any of it any longer. I'm normally a completist about these kinds of things, but I decided that I'd rather just have enjoyed what I enjoyed without having to continue past the point where I wanted to. 

Obviously, I can't speak to whether it gets better, whether there's a grand payoff at the end, or whatever, but I would encourage you to follow suit. Read it until you don't want to read it any more. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I enjoyed the first few immensely, but at some point I just didn't care about any of it any longer.

this is what a friend of mine told me.  he lost interest after the first three.  I’m gonna try and read the first one before the movie comes out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, futureman said:

this is what a friend of mine told me.  he lost interest after the first three.  I’m gonna try and read the first one before the movie comes out. 

It has been many years since I read them, but I remember that the first book was awesome, then I read another one or two because I liked the first so much, but they just dragged on and on and on and on and on...

TLDR: Sticking with just the first one is a good call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m re reading the first one now, falling for it all over again. Re watched the movie last night and will probably watch it again this week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first book is great, and from what I remember 2 and 3 were also good. Somewhere around 4 or 5 it dragged quite a bit. I may have actually read a spark notes of the 5th one. Once it got past whichever that slow one was though, they all were enjoyable to very good.  Without spoilers, it is worth keeping going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pantone159 said:

It has been many years since I read them, but I remember that the first book was awesome, then I read another one or two because I liked the first so much, but they just dragged on and on and on and on and on...

TLDR: Sticking with just the first one is a good call.

 

This happens a lot with book series, and with successful authors in general, I think. My hypothesis is that after the first one sells, the editors cede power to the writers, and you get bloat. See Fire and Ice, Stephen King's entire career, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly all you need to read is Dune, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune.

You can read Dune Messiah if you want, but really no reason to go past God Emperor, and definitely no reason to read anything Brian Herbert was involved in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

The first book is great, and from what I remember 2 and 3 were also good. Somewhere around 4 or 5 it dragged quite a bit. I may have actually read a spark notes of the 5th one. Once it got past whichever that slow one was though, they all were enjoyable to very good.  Without spoilers, it is worth keeping going. 

imo the second book is pretty weak. Herbert admitted as much before he died. I'd probably go 1st book then 3rd book, then 4th book then the last two with Dune Messiah closer to the bottom. I've also read most of his son's Dune books that he co-wrote with Kevin Anderson and they aren't bad at all. More so the ones which try to continue the story where it left off then the ones which give back story though the one talking about the machine revolution was good imo. They aren't that long either. You can easily read one a week. I recommend to anyone to finish the original 6 by Herbert sr and to finish the story as written by Herbert jr which is largely patterned after outlines done by his dad.

Edited by Surlybastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

 

This happens a lot with book series, and with successful authors in general, I think. My hypothesis is that after the first one sells, the editors cede power to the writers, and you get bloat. See Fire and Ice, Stephen King's entire career, etc.

I'm not sure Frank Herbert and George RR (as great as they are) are comparable to Stephen King lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure Frank Herbert and George RR (as great as they are) are comparable to Stephen King lol.

ChubbyBaggyIrishdraughthorse-size_restri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 10:22 PM, futureman said:

sit down, let me tell you about hollywood...

Grandpa, tell me bout the good old days.

image.png.0153ae7d44e8888d23368732317126e6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, futureman said:

ok I guess. 

I'm not saying everything King has wrote is worth reading, but his body of work is significantly more prestigious. He'd be more analogous to Toklein or Ray Bradbury imo.

I'm not sure how great of an author George RR is anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah Toklein is def a personal favorite of mine...

King has churned out a LOT of shit, and a lot of it is pretty good.  but it’s still mainstream stuff that reads fast.  as a writer he’s certainly no better than Herbert or Martin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Surlybastard said:

imo the second book is pretty weak. Herbert admitted as much before he died. I'd probably go 1st book then 3rd book, then 4th book then the last two with Dune Messiah closer to the bottom. I've also read most of his son's Dune books that he co-wrote with Kevin Anderson and they aren't bad at all. More so the ones which try to continue the story where it left off then the ones which give back story though the one talking about the machine revolution was good imo. They aren't that long either. You can easily read one a week. I recommend to anyone to finish the original 6 by Herbert sr and to finish the story as written by Herbert jr which is largely patterned after outlines done by his dad.

Sad to say, but it has been about 20 years since I read the first 6. I know Dune hooked me hard and is one of the things I remember strongly about my first years of college. But yeah, i could definitely be mixing up the books after it. 
 

Dune age appropriate to read to your 8 and 5 year old?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 9:42 PM, TxTower said:

In.

 Stellarn Skarsgard is one of my favorites but having trouble seeing him as Baron Harkonen.

Feed him a shitload of donuts and vodka on a Saturday night. Throw a screaming child in his living room on a Sunday morning. Blow Paprika everywhere. Roll film. 

He’ll be fucking great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 7:04 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Sad to say, but it has been about 20 years since I read the first 6. I know Dune hooked me hard and is one of the things I remember strongly about my first years of college. But yeah, i could definitely be mixing up the books after it. 
 

Dune age appropriate to read to your 8 and 5 year old?

Not sure it would really grab their attention. There's quite a bit of philosophical and religious stuff which they might find boring or hard to understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 5:00 PM, demos said:

Honestly all you need to read is Dune, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune.

You can read Dune Messiah if you want, but really no reason to go past God Emperor, and definitely no reason to read anything Brian Herbert was involved in.

The Brian Herbert books are god awful. Just wretched 
 

Did really enjoy Chapterhouse (5th I think?) though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a young coworker from the Middle East and I was telling him about Dune. What makes the book different from so many others is that it isn't watered down for a middle school level reading audience. Its a serious High School senior or college level book to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...